Unraid OS version 6.12.5 available

ljm42

The Unraid 6.12.5 release includes a mitigation for a ZFS data corruption issue, along with other bug fixes and security updates. All users are encouraged to read the release notes and upgrade.

Upgrade steps for this release

1. As always, prior to upgrading, create a backup of your USB flash device:  "Main/Flash/Flash Device Settings" - click "Flash Backup".
  2. Update all of your plugins. This is critical for the NVIDIA and Realtek plugins in particular.
  3. If the system is currently running 6.12.0 - 6.12.4, we're going to suggest that you stop the array at this point. If it gets stuck on "Retry unmounting shares", open a web terminal and type:
    umount /var/lib/docker

The array should now stop successfully (issues related to Docker not stopping should be resolved in this release)

4. Go to Tools -> Update OS. If the update doesn't show, click "Check for Updates"
  5. Wait for the update to download and install
  6. If you have any plugins that install 3rd party drivers (NVIDIA, Realtek, etc), wait for the notification that the new version of the driver has been downloaded. 
  7. Reboot

This thread is perfect for quick questions or comments, but if you suspect there will be back and forth for your specific issue, please start a new topic. Be sure to include your diagnostics.zip.

Release Notes

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1
13 minutes ago, GeorgeJetson20 said:

Here are the diagnosnode804-diagnostics-20231128-2009.ziptics..

Try the following:

• Click on the double arrows on the UD webpage and see if the remote shares show as back on line.
  • Downgrade to 6.12.4 and see if the remote shares show as back on line.

You have one realtek NIC.  Realtek NICs can be a bit troublesome on Linix.  There may be a driver issue wirh 6.12.5.

Why are you blaklisting the r8169?

2 minutes ago, dlandon said:

Try the following:

• Click on the double arrows on the UD webpage and see if the remote shares show as back on line.
  • Downgrade to 6.12.4 and see if the remote shares show as back on line.

You have one realtek NIC.  Realtek NICs can be a bit troublesome on Linix.  There may be a driver issue wirh 6.12.5.

Why are you blaklisting the r8169?

I have the 8125 and I read somewheres on here to blacklist the 8169.  Never had an issue

Clicked on the double arrows, it says "Success" but both SMB's are still grayed out.   I will wait and see if anyone else reports the issue before downgrading because I can get around not having access to those for now.   The Realtek Nic is a 2.5g built in but I never had any issue prior.  I have an Intel 225 (I think) card but other places on here said NOT to use that as it's even more problems.

31 minutes ago, aidenpryde said:

How can I check that the ZFS data corruption mitigation is active?

Run this in the web terminal:

cat /etc/modprobe.d/zfs.conf

and you'll see:

# zfs data corruption mitigation, re: https://github.com/openzfs/zfs/issues/15526
options zfs zfs_dmu_offset_next_sync=0
  • Like 2
1 hour ago, EthanBezz said:

and you'll see:

# zfs data corruption mitigation, re: https://github.com/openzfs/zfs/issues/15526

Great! Thanks.

I don't suppose there was a way to detect if you were impacted by any corruption was there?

2 hours ago, EthanBezz said:

and you'll see:

You can use the system drivers in tools to see this also for the driver.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, GeorgeJetson20 said:

Quick update on my issue with the SMB shares.   I went and removed 1 of the 2 shares and recreated it and then it fixed both of them where they turned orange "Mount" and I was then able to press the mount button and it's working.  Really weird behavior but not sure what would have caused this but just wanted to update the issue.

Edit: same problem.... Maybe? Mine is with two nfs shares that didn't come back up.

I also have had an ongoing issue where after the last 3 updates my server has not been rebooting and it requires a power cycle. 

hippo-diagnostics-20231129-0316.zip

Edited by Fffrank
51 minutes ago, jademonkee said:

While there's a fix for a data corruption issue in ZFS, is there any way we can find out if we were affected by the corruption?

Looks like the bug has been present since 2013, though some recent changes made it more likely to be triggered, still it's very difficult to get affected with typical NAS usage, and AFAIK no one has been able to trigger the bug when using SMB/NFS, only some very specific workloads running locally, you can take a look at the bug report for the specific workloads needed to trigger it, some have also posted scripts to look for files with consecutive zeros, but from what I've read most are only finding false positives.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
2 hours ago, Fffrank said:

Edit: same problem.... Maybe? Mine is with two nfs shares that didn't come back up.

You are referencing the remote share servers by IP address.  Any chance the IP address changed?  If the remote server does not have a static IP address, you are better off using the server name.