Cleaning out Docker image

dalben

cadvisor container will show container sizes and help narrow it down.

I test a lot of containers and am not seeing this problem myself although I was suspicious at one point I may have been.

Succumb to marketing you have

Marketing? What google? It works and it's extremely lightweight, what's not to like....

Suspicious at one point I may have been

I do keep posting the same advice in this thread to be fair....

It was a dumb joke that may have been only funny to myself.  Don't worry about it

;D ;D ;D:-X

(Don't worry Squid, it was funny)

(I don't think CHBMB has awakened yet)

Someone please explain.... I get the Yoda thing but after that..... lost.

It was a dumb joke that may have been only funny to myself.  Don't worry about it

Squid just thought it was funny that conciously or not you posted in yoda voice during all the marketing buzz for force awakens. Nothing deep or hidden that I can see, but maybe I missed it.

Squid just thought it was funny that conciously or not you posted in yoda voice during all the marketing buzz for force awakens. Nothing deep or hidden that I can see, but maybe I missed it.

Oh I see it myself now!  You're right, read my post in a Yoda voice and it does make me sound like a tool! lol

I'd love to, but nope - no idea.  I figured you were both in on something that I wasn't.

In seriousness, I looked at cadvisor but found it quite daunting and uninstalled for now.  I'll try again at some point.  Whilst the filling up of dockers isn't really unRAID's fault (I appreciate that by opening up fenced-off environments to third parties one is no longer completely in control), it would be nice if clearer reporting of docker usage could be available somewhere down the line.  It's a concept that is not yet fully mature, and it would appear that diagnostic tools would be valuable.  Sure, being sensible and pragmatic is the logical way to go, but progress is down to the unreasonable man!

That being said, an old PC had Windows 7 eat up all of my RAM with svchost.exe for 5 days last week (I was waiting to see if it free'd up the memory), so it's not just the new kids playing fast and dirty with resources.  Funny how Windows doesn't warn you of low memory when it's the one using it all :)

Oh I see it myself now!  You're right, read my post in a Yoda voice and it does make me sound like a tool! lol

“Happens to every guy sometimes this does”

cadvisor was useless in resolving this issue for me.  The sizes reported in cadvisor never changed while the docker image continued to fill up.

Really?  That's interesting, might have to look into that....

Like I say, I've not been affected by this issue..

cadvisor was useless in resolving this issue for me.  The sizes reported in cadvisor never changed while the docker image continued to fill up.

Really?  That's interesting, might have to look into that....

Like I say, I've not been affected by this issue..

In theory that should be easy to test. dockexec into the container, and dd if=/dev/urandom of=bigfile.test bs=1M count=100 then check cadvisor for a 100MB bump in that container.

@CHBMB,

I tried using cadvisor to figure out which container was growing.  cadvisor always reported all of my containers remaining the same size even as the utilization of docker.img grew by GBs/day.

If there is a way to use cadvisor to figure out which container is the problem, please tell us how to use it.

In theory that should be easy to test. dockexec into the container, and dd if=/dev/urandom of=bigfile.test bs=1M count=100 then check cadvisor for a 100MB bump in that container.

Creating a 100mb file in a container does indeed show no increase in docker size using cadvisor, nor with

docker images

Both of which report the virtual size, rather than the on disk size from what I can tell....

Having a quick look around at what's written there doesn't seem to be an easy way to determine the on disk size...

@CHBMB

TRURL and BRiT have said that we should be posting about this topic in the support forums for the containers causing the problem.  I think we would all be happy to do that if we could figure out which containers are causing the problem.

BRiT's suggestion that we start with a clean slate and enable one container at a time until we find the problem will not identify the problem containers unless the trigger for the problem occurs during the 12 hour period you are testing the container. Just because a container runs fine for 12 hours does not mean there is no problem.

I think the approach you are taking is a better one. If we could isolate which container has ballooned in size we can then take the discussion to the right support thread and focus on figuring out how to properly configure the containers to avoid the problem.

I would suggest either using the command line script I posted a dozen or so posts back, or if the growth of the image file is relatively quick then use the classic I.T. trick of divide and conquer, so shutdown half your dockers, if growth continues then you know the problem is with the half you have running, if it doesn't continue then the issue is with the half shutdown, simply keep doing this until you fund the troublesome docker.

I would suggest either using the command line script I posted a dozen or so posts back, or if the growth of the image file is relatively quick then use the classic I.T. trick of divide and conquer, so shutdown half your dockers, if growth continues then you know the problem is with the half you have running, if it doesn't continue then the issue is with the half shutdown, simply keep doing this until you fund the troublesome docker.

In reply #84?

In reply #84?

Lol yeah that's the one, damn this thread moves quickly :-)

• 3 weeks later...

- Running all the containers listed in my sig (except for Crashplan)

- Get docker disc space warnings

- Install cAdvisor, not much help

- No prunable images lying around

- No files at all in any running container's /tmp dir

- No large files found other than the JDK:

$ find /var/lib/docker/btrfs -type f -size +50000k -exec ls -lh {} \; | awk '{ print $9 ": " $5 }'

/var/lib/docker/btrfs/subvolumes/2fc900c39351bb8332117d23522c747aad386dde51e5a84f0c732644a589dc40/usr/lib/jvm/java-8-oracle/jre/lib/amd64/libjfxwebkit.so: 55M
/var/lib/docker/btrfs/subvolumes/2fc900c39351bb8332117d23522c747aad386dde51e5a84f0c732644a589dc40/usr/lib/jvm/java-8-oracle/jre/lib/rt.jar: 63M
/var/lib/docker/btrfs/subvolumes/76d5ba319f723928c3c589f2ffb858ff9f83e927a4e97a2e98f5ca36e6ac99a9/usr/lib/jvm/java-8-oracle/jre/lib/amd64/libjfxwebkit.so: 55M
/var/lib/docker/btrfs/subvolumes/76d5ba319f723928c3c589f2ffb858ff9f83e927a4e97a2e98f5ca36e6ac99a9/usr/lib/jvm/java-8-oracle/jre/lib/rt.jar: 63M
/var/lib/docker/btrfs/subvolumes/88392dc0830b3019a7cc463efcc2e672b606ed78b8e634bfaafeef1117eeda28/usr/lib/jvm/java-8-oracle/jre/lib/amd64/libjfxwebkit.so: 55M
/var/lib/docker/btrfs/subvolumes/88392dc0830b3019a7cc463efcc2e672b606ed78b8e634bfaafeef1117eeda28/usr/lib/jvm/java-8-oracle/jre/lib/rt.jar: 63M
/var/lib/docker/btrfs/subvolumes/3dcabb14efd0ef17360f36536bd95ebb281a5756025a6eff5b8a92bc6f7c25f5-init/usr/lib/jvm/java-8-oracle/jre/lib/amd64/libjfxwebkit.so: 55M
/var/lib/docker/btrfs/subvolumes/3dcabb14efd0ef17360f36536bd95ebb281a5756025a6eff5b8a92bc6f7c25f5-init/usr/lib/jvm/java-8-oracle/jre/lib/rt.jar: 63M
/var/lib/docker/btrfs/subvolumes/3dcabb14efd0ef17360f36536bd95ebb281a5756025a6eff5b8a92bc6f7c25f5/usr/lib/jvm/java-8-oracle/jre/lib/amd64/libjfxwebkit.so: 55M
/var/lib/docker/btrfs/subvolumes/3dcabb14efd0ef17360f36536bd95ebb281a5756025a6eff5b8a92bc6f7c25f5/usr/lib/jvm/java-8-oracle/jre/lib/rt.jar: 63M

- Stopped all dockers, scrubbed:

scrub status for 68dfcede-36b4-42de-8f9c-50d73af3884a
scrub started at Sun Jan 10 15:57:21 2016 and finished after 00:11:24
total bytes scrubbed: 15.56GiB with 0 errors