$90 Xeon E5-2670 2.6Ghz (8cores / 16threads)

Thank you Kamhighway, I did not know about what you mentioned. Sounds awesome!

I have the MBD-X9DRL-IF-B ATX model. Link: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813182670

Couple other questions:

1) So I MUST connect both ethernet ports to my router/switch?

2) How do I know which internal IP the IPMI NIC will have? Something that I setup in the bios?

Thanks again,

H.

I have the exact same board. 

You do NOT have to connect the dedicated IPMI port to your router/switch.  BTW, the dedicated IPMI port is the one above the USB ports.  However, I've found that the dedicated port is nice because if a VM or a docker completely goes berserk and you lose ethernet, the dedicated port is unaffected so you can still get in and power cycle the computer.

There is a menu in the bios settings that is all about the settings for the IPMI functionality.  I think it might be labeled "BMC settings." That's where you can assign an IP address to access your IPMI features.

So glad to hear someone else w/ same board. I cannot make heads of tails on how to connect the HDD Light and Power Light, etc. The JF1 does not show + and - symbols like the connectors for my case. Any chance you could take a close photo of this? I have Googled and no luck w/ this. The only ones labeled are Power and Reset.

Thank you!

H.

The manual had it labeled.

Jumpers_zpsvmy7afrt.png

Thank you BigWorm.... but are you sure that is for the Supermicro motherboard? I could not find that page/diagram in the manual.

Thank you Kamhighway, I did not know about what you mentioned. Sounds awesome!

I have the MBD-X9DRL-IF-B ATX model. Link: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813182670

Couple other questions:

1) So I MUST connect both ethernet ports to my router/switch?

2) How do I know which internal IP the IPMI NIC will have? Something that I setup in the bios?

Thanks again,

H.

I have the exact same board. 

You do NOT have to connect the dedicated IPMI port to your router/switch.  BTW, the dedicated IPMI port is the one above the USB ports.  However, I've found that the dedicated port is nice because if a VM or a docker completely goes berserk and you lose ethernet, the dedicated port is unaffected so you can still get in and power cycle the computer.

There is a menu in the bios settings that is all about the settings for the IPMI functionality.  I think it might be labeled "BMC settings." That's where you can assign an IP address to access your IPMI features.

So glad to hear someone else w/ same board. I cannot make heads of tails on how to connect the HDD Light and Power Light, etc. The JF1 does not show + and - symbols like the connectors for my case. Any chance you could take a close photo of this? I have Googled and no luck w/ this. The only ones labeled are Power and Reset.

Thank you!

H.

The manual had it labeled.

Jumpers_zpsvmy7afrt.png

Thank you BigWorm.... but are you sure that is for the Supermicro motherboard? I could not find that page/diagram in the manual.

Oh man sorry.  For some reason I thought you where asking about the Asrock board. 

Need IPMI Help

I am going to start the MB and CPUs swap this weekend. I keep reading about IPMI - which, if I understand correctly, keeps track of temperature sensors. How is this implemented/used within unRAID? I have Dynamix System Temperature plugin installed.

I know there is an IPMI plugin... is it just a matter of installing that? I see there are connectors and/or ethernet ports for this in my new Supermicro MB. Do I need to bother with that stuff?

I got 2 of these Artic Freezer i11 heatsinks and I want to make sure it all runs within normal parameters. I am not planning on running anything major other than 1 or 2 PLex streams, and the SAB, SB, CP stuff.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835186093

Thanks,

H.

Yeah, just install the IPMI plug in... plus if you plug your IPMI port into your network you can remotely manage power states, and all kinds of stuff.

To add to CPU power consumption conversation;

Mobo: Intel S2600CP2J

Chassis: Intel P4000M 4U single PSU, two 120mm cooling fans

CPU(s): 2 x E-2670

Heatsinks: 2 x correct P4000M Chassis passive heat sinks with correct S2600CP cooling shroud

RAM: 8 x 8GB (64GB total)

HDs: 1 WD 74GB Raptor SATA1, 1 Seagate 4TB SATA2 (just in the box for initial build testing)

PS: 550 Intel Silver efficiency

Bios Power Scheme = Balanced Performance

Measured using Kill A Watt EZ:

- Idle at Windows 2012 R2 desktop = 71.7watts

- CPU and RAM at 100% via Passmark BurnInTest tool running = 290watts

CPU temps at 100% are 60 - 64C (Ambient temp - in the basement where I'm testing is currently, is 19C)

Regards,

Jake

@hernandito

Here is a screenshot of the page from the manual for our board.

Thank you Kamhighway... I had seen it. It's just not knowing where to plug the negative and positive of the Power LED and HDD Activity LED... I will do some trial and error and hopefully not fry something.

@hernandito

Thank you Kamhighway... I had seen it. It's just not knowing where to plug the negative and positive of the Power LED and HDD Activity LED... I will do some trial and error and hopefully not fry something.

You won't fry the LEDs by reversing their polarity; they're diodes...

@hernandito

+ on the right side (vcc), - on the left (ground)

Congrats hernandito.... I`m wondering how those heat sinks are work for ya?

So far so good. I am idling at 45 degrees. Is there is a way in unRAID to do a cpu torture test to see how the heatsinks cope.

Do a handbrake video encode?

I did some last night, started getting up to 68C... turned the fans to Full speed, kept tempts around 64C for a lot more noise.

You don't need handbrake to make lossless rips. You can use makemkv for that if you want mkv files.

Hey Saarg, any idea why I get these randomly throughout a Blu Ray rip? I am using MakeMKV using Default settings.

I have no idea. Do you have any errors when ripping?

It might also be your player that is the problem. What do you use to play it and can you reproduce it with another player?

To add to CPU power consumption conversation;

Mobo: Intel S2600CP2J

Chassis: Intel P4000M 4U single PSU, two 120mm cooling fans

CPU(s): 2 x E-2670

Heatsinks: 2 x correct P4000M Chassis passive heat sinks with correct S2600CP cooling shroud

RAM: 8 x 8GB (64GB total)

HDs: 1 WD 74GB Raptor SATA1, 1 Seagate 4TB SATA2 (just in the box for initial build testing)

PS: 550 Intel Silver efficiency

Bios Power Scheme = Balanced Performance

Measured using Kill A Watt EZ:

- Idle at Windows 2012 R2 desktop = 71.7watts

- CPU and RAM at 100% via Passmark BurnInTest tool running = 290watts

CPU temps at 100% are 60 - 64C (Ambient temp - in the basement where I'm testing is currently, is 19C)

Regards,

Jake

I'm having some issues with that board. I can't get it to boot on the teat bench. I even removed cpu2 and all but one stick of ram. I keep getting the 1-5-4-2 beep code. Says it is an unexpected power loss error, but the cx600 I'm using works fine in my other server.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I'm having some issues with that board. I can't get it to boot on the teat bench. I even removed cpu2 and all but one stick of ram. I keep getting the 1-5-4-2 beep code. Says it is an unexpected power loss error, but the cx600 I'm using works fine in my other server.

Are you aware of how bad the reputation for the CX series is?  (one link)  One of the comments I read recently was that it's regrettable that many users start with an inexpensive CX series PSU in one system, then try to move it to a new and better system and have problems and can't believe it could possibly be their CX series PSU, since it 'worked so well before'.

Of course, it may not be the PSU, but your comment struck me, after just reading the other comments about cheap Corsairs recently.

Are you aware of how bad the reputation for the CX series is?  (one link)  One of the comments I read recently was that it's regrettable that many users start with an inexpensive CX series PSU in one system, then try to move it to a new and better system and have problems and can't believe it could possibly be their CX series PSU, since it 'worked so well before'.

Of course, it may not be the PSU, but your comment struck me, after just reading the other comments about cheap Corsairs recently.

No, wasn't aware. I thought that Seasonic built the Corsair units, but apparently not this line.

I'm going to go grab one of these EVGA 850 G2 units. Super Flower OEM with a 10 year warranty. I think that may (or not) solve the issue.

Well, after seeing this thread, I too have pulled the trigger: 1x Xeon E5-2670, Supermicro X9SRL-F, and 32GB ECC RAM. I have been running the same server hardware for five or six years, and it has happily been chugging along on my old Phenom II X3 720. UnRAID 6 has changed my entire outlook, and now I'm looking to be able to task my server with a lot more. This chip is an unbelievably good deal, even with the expensive motherboard. Going from a Passmark of 2704 to over 12,000 is very exciting, especially for the possibility of a Windows gaming VM to replace my also sadly aged gaming rig.

Many thanks to all who have provided lots of information and feedback on this deal.

I'm going to go grab one of these EVGA 850 G2 units. Super Flower OEM with a 10 year warranty. I think that may (or not) solve the issue.

The 50 lines are not SuperFlower, they are Seasonic rebrands.

The 00 lines are SuperFlower.

Still a much better choice.

though you might want to check the Good Deals forum, I posted a link to an $85.00 Seasonic X-850.  Same PSU you're looking at, and Currently what's powering the Juggernaut, My Dual E5-2670.

I mentioned this once before in this thread;  there are (what I take to be) cheap NIB Intel P4000M server chassis *with* quality server power supplies available on ebay.  So, with people spending a $100+ on a power supply, they may want to consider one of these (specifically if they also jumped on the Intel S2600CP mobo from natex.us).

There was a negative comment on fan noise in response to my original post that I wanted to rebut; something about 'hair dryer' volume (which is true when the fans are spinning full volume), but in practice that *doesn't* happen when used with the Intel S2600CP mobos and the FRU is updated with the appropriate SDR (sensor data records) for the chassis model.  These fans are PWM controlled by the S2600CP BMC, and the thermal management intelligently controls 'cooling domains' assigned to the fans per the selected fan profile (Performance, or Acoustic).  I'm *very* pleased with the lack of fan noise from this chassis and mobo given the prices.

So, previously, I had bought this chassis:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/182026363400 (with a $150 accepted offer + $30 shipping), which at the time, I thought was a great deal!

- This is a "Intel P4308XXMHEN Server Chassis 4U Rack, 550W New Bulk Packaging"

...It comes with a single 550 watt PS, two 120" fixed cooling fans, and 8x3.5" SAS/SATA HSBP enclosure.

Then this morning, I bought this  chassis (from the same seller) for a second system; which at $50 less, I think is an even BETTER deal!:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/201107937542 (with a $100 accepted offer + $30 shipping)

- This is a "Intel P4216XXMHGR Server Chassis 4U Rack 750W Hot-Swap New Bulk Packaging"

...this comes with (2) 750watt redundant PS, two 120mm fixed cooling fans, and 16x2.5" HSBP (two 8x2.5" enclosures)

They also have other chassis models with configurations containing 5x80mm redundant cooling fans instead of the 2 fixed 120mm fans (and different HSBP configs), however I suspect that the two 120mm fixed fans are quieter overall.

Note, you'll *also* want the matching S2600CP airduct (this also comes with a 'unique' cable kit containing a main power extension and some SAS and SATA cables): http://www.ebay.com/itm/381083917540 (they accepted my $10 offer +shipping):

- This is a "Intel FCPUPMAD Air Duct Required for Intel Server Board S2600CP In P4000M New"

*edit; here's the URL to the tech specs of the P4000M chassis family:

http://www.intel.com/content/dam/support/us/en/documents/motherboards/server/p4000m/sb/g27488005_p4000m_tps_r1_2.pdf

The 550 watt is 80 PLUS SILVER rated, the 750 watt is 80 PLUS PLATINUM.

So in all, you can get some really quality NIB server grade chassis's and power supplies at bargain basement prices..

Regards,

Jake