[Support] ich777 - Gameserver Dockers

58 minutes ago, ich777 said:

Then something is missconfigured in your network.

For pfSense look here. If it's not configured properly then it won't work from your LAN but friends can join usually through your public IP or server list. ;)

Yes, I tried all that & posted about it earlier in this thread. I gave up in the end, nothing would make it work. My config is exactly as any documentation I could find. I also found plenty of other posts in various places with the same issue. I'm considering moving away from pfSense, but haven't had the time to look into it yet.

Found what might be my issue with people outside my network connecting. I'm using cloudflare. When I check in the logs for palworld and Battle metrics, it shows my server as online and shows public ip we will call IP1. When I check my server domain Ip on one of those IP lookup sites, I get a different public Ip we will call IP2. I'm not sure which one is actually my correct public ip for people to connect to. 

well it all depend how you do. Palworld will require port forwarding. If you do port forwarding on your router, then people need your real ip (the one you would normally get by going to whatismyip.com which is probably what the game get since there's  a config for publicip). If you don't do that cause you use cloudfare as some sort of vpn (I don't know how cloudfare work but heard they offer some sort of vpn), then it's cloudfare ip you need.

In both case, disable the settings that validate the publicip. And I would put the cloudfare ip in it (if it change well......... don't use cloudfare?)

So i think I might have figured out my issue with satisfactory. I'm not sure how to fix it, but when I load up the server and go to multiplayer session, it shows that it is set as private, and I have no way of changing it even when I log in as admin. Maybe there's something in the param section I could change or in the config files?

How do you get this to work for Palworld (Steam), for players on a local network instead of a community server?

Trying to connect directly to the docker ip/port gives a "No password entered" even after stripping it out of the .ini

Edited by JustinAiken
1 hour ago, JustinAiken said:

How do you get this to work for Palworld (Steam), for players on a local network instead of a community server?

Trying to connect directly to the docker ip/port gives a "No password entered" even after stripping it out of the .ini

Did you stop the container before editing the file then edit then start?

It will overwrite your changes if you just restart it.

• Like 2

I have an issue where the server is not using all my resources.

Basically, I have an i7-8700k 32gb DDR4 3200Mhz and cache is an NVME drive.

The docker container is using 16gb ram and 5% of CPU but only getting ~47FPS with 1 player online. (Yes, this is server FPS not client)

Are there any tweaks to get this running better? Is it worth using CPU pinning to limit it to 4 threads? (Somewhat suggested here)

Hi ich777, 

Thank you so much for the support --- I was able to get my Palworld Server up and running & playing with a group of friends all pretty seamlessly thanks to your Docker & easy instructions.

I do have a question, as I am trying to better understand the folder architecture specifically about Saves & Backups. Do you happen to know how the Save Data works? Is the server saving automatically, or does it require just manual Admin commands /Save in order to save? 

I am just trying to prepare in case the Docker were to crash or something else go wrong, that I have manual backups of save data or important game server files like:

PalWorldSettings.ini 

palworld > Pal > Saved > Config > SaveGames

Thanks

13 hours ago, Duckers said:

but people can instantly connect using for instance my subdomain?

To your domain, not subdomain, don't know why would use a subdomain because the game needs to just resolve your domain to get your IP address.

13 hours ago, Duckers said:

And what should i set "public ip" to?

To your public IP address from your server, the server must be directly reachable through this IP from the outside world.

Also look at this post from @Nodiaque:

BTW, the container obtains your IP on the first container start automatically.

13 hours ago, Kansalis said:

I'm considering moving away from pfSense, but haven't had the time to look into it yet.

Just try OPNsense, it's a bit more user friendly, looks similar but you also have to configure Hair Pin NAT but it is way easier and there are much tutorials out there for OPNsense.

12 hours ago, Nodiaque said:

Difference is the first param. Is there a reason to use "-No-useperfthreads"?

Yes, this was in their documentation right at the beginning, maybe it was listed their wrong.

You can change it if you want to, as you know my containers are usually pretty good if you want to customize them (at least I hope that that's the case). ;)

I change it so that the new parameters apply to new installations, hope they cause no harm.

12 hours ago, TheBelighted said:

Found what might be my issue with people outside my network connecting. I'm using cloudflare. When I check in the logs for palworld and Battle metrics, it shows my server as online and shows public ip we will call IP1. When I check my server domain Ip on one of those IP lookup sites, I get a different public Ip we will call IP2. I'm not sure which one is actually my correct public ip for people to connect to. 

Are you sure that you are not behind a CG-NAT?

You can change this to true in the Docker template and it will obtain your public IP on every start which is also displayed in the log from the container:

grafik.png.b760f26f052ada689ee7c340e7542c7e.png

11 hours ago, Duckers said:

For palworld, is there a way to fish out the invite code from cli or something? That way i don't have to throw my IP out everywhere :P

If you have a domain assigned to your public IP you just can give people your domain name and people can then connect through your domain instead of your public IP in game at direct connection, they just have to replace 127.0.0.1 with yourdomain.com in game so that it looks something like that:

yourdomain.com:8211

The game then will resolve your IP with the domain and people can connect (you don't have to use a subdomain since this will complicate things for people further)

Please note that this currently will only work if you have made a non community server as described here otherwise they have to search your server in the server list (which is I think still currently borked I think).

10 hours ago, Tonborghini said:

So i think I might have figured out my issue with satisfactory.

I haven't had got time yet but I think will have some spare time today and report back, the container is already installed on my server for testing. :)

6 hours ago, BryanS said:

Just to check, is there a log for palworld? e.g. user has connected. user logged off. etc

Not as far as I know, maybe there is a command that makes it more verbose but none that I'm aware of, the official documentation is here.

5 hours ago, Spoods said:

Are there any tweaks to get this running better? Is it worth using CPU pinning to limit it to 4 threads?

I would not recommend to pin threads, you will most likely make it worse.

Seems they changed something in their documentation, change the GAME_PARAMS_EXTRA in the template to:

-useperfthreads -NoAsyncLoadingThread -UseMultithreadForDS

This should help, as for RAM, it is a very RAM hungry game at the moment, but it has to be seen if the developers can reduce the RAM requirement.

On my server it consumes about 12GB with 5 players on it and when empty about 3,5GB and I assume that this will increase the more people build on the map.

3 hours ago, Jhanos said:

I am just trying to prepare in case the Docker were to crash or something else go wrong, that I have manual backups of save data or important game server files like:

I would going with that directory since then the config and everything else will be included:

.../appdata/palworld/Pal/Saved/

There will be unnecessary files in there but the directory should not be that big in terms of size, my directory is about 4.5MB uncompressed with 9 player saves including the world save and the configuration file and so on.

3 hours ago, Jhanos said:

Do you happen to know how the Save Data works? Is the server saving automatically, or does it require just manual Admin commands /Save in order to save? 

The server is saving automatically I think every 5 minutes (not sure if it's really 5 minutes but I think so) and if you end the container it is also automatically saving.

BTW I will maybe also introduce a backup function to the container like it is the case for Valheim however keep in mind this game is in early (early, early, early,...) access and they will most likely introduce a server wipe at some point <- but I could be wrong about that since I've not seen that often for Unreal Engine games.

I got people outside my network to connect to my server finally. I just uninstalled everything and reinstalled it again. Not sure what happened the first time that caused it to not work. Now I'm struggling getting my domain to link. Using piblicIP:8211 works but using mydomain.com:8211 is not even though cloudflare dns is showing my public ip listed for my domain matching. 

Edit: Dns record in cloudflare shows my public ip address but typing my domain into a dns lookup gives me a cloudflare associated ip address instead of my public ip. Is that normal? Sounds like it's being a proxy? 

Edited by TheBelighted
Typo
37 minutes ago, TheBelighted said:

Dns record in cloudflare shows my public ip address but typing my domain into a dns lookup gives me a cloudflare associated ip address instead of my public ip. Is that normal? Sounds like it's being a proxy? 

Sorry, but that is something you have to figure out since this is out of scope for this thread. If the DNS recored is not pointing to your public IP then it can't work.