[Support] ich777 - Gameserver Dockers

Hey folks,

I was able to get the V Rising container working well. I'm having issues with the Sons of the Forest. I am just using the default config, and not making any changes to ports.

I wasn't able to see the game in the server list or direct connect to it with publicip:port or privateip:port - I've verified the ports are open and forwarded. The network test at server startup also passes with all 3 ports open.

The only thing strange I noticed is when installing the container, it shows the first 3 image IDs already in use. Any other ideas or things to look for with this container?

*Interesting though - the server shows in the LAN list and I can connect from there. Lanonly is set to false in the config. So seems even though it finds the ports are open, it is not forwarding properly.

**Ah - figured it out. I have a Pfsense firewall and didn't realize what type of NAT I was using. I'm using NAT + Proxy. I added privateIP:PORT to the IP parameter in the config file - now I can connect via the LAN menu and external can connect via dedicated menu.

The other option on Pfsense is to use Pure NAT. This would create a hairpin NAT so I would be able to connect via publicIP:port in the dedicated menu as well as external. This doesn't really matter to me, so just left it with NAT + Proxy..works for me.

image.thumb.png.81cfbd992b6e81db424f9948a5c95bf4.png

Edited by rigultru
resolved
  • Like 1

Hi, I'm a bit inexperienced with Unraid and completely new to Valheim and the docker server.

I started playing Valheim on Win11/Steam on a local game a few weeks ago and have now started a dedicated server on my Unraid box using Ich777s docker. 

How can I go about copying my world from my local windows box to my dedicated server? 

Thanks a ton for making this docker and doing all this support :)

8 minutes ago, cakeman said:

Hi, I'm a bit inexperienced with Unraid and completely new to Valheim and the docker server.

I started playing Valheim on Win11/Steam on a local game a few weeks ago and have now started a dedicated server on my Unraid box using Ich777s docker. 

How can I go about copying my world from my local windows box to my dedicated server? 

Thanks a ton for making this docker and doing all this support :)

You should be able to just:

1. stop the server
2. Find your local saved world in `%localappdata%low/IronGate/Valheim/worlds_local/`
3. Copy your .db and and .fwl for your server name
4. Paste it in `/mnt/user/appdata/valheim/.config/unity3d/IronGate/Valheim/worlds_local/`
5. start server.

This assumes you haven't changed any defaults.

• Like 1
3 minutes ago, dlchamp said:

You should be able to just:

1. stop the server
2. Find your local saved world in `%localappdata%low/IronGate/Valheim/worlds_local/`
3. Copy your .db and and .fwl for your server name
4. Paste it in `/mnt/user/appdata/valheim/.config/unity3d/IronGate/Valheim/worlds_local/`
5. start server.

This assumes you haven't changed any defaults.

Thanks for the reply..

I'll add one thing that I figured out..

If you dont have a ../worlds_local/ folder, its being saved in the Steam Cloud instead. Run Valheim, and after clicking Start Game, click "Manage Saves" .. then choose the World tab and "Move to Local" button.

Now, fingers crossed, Im going to go see how this works :)

• Like 1
14 minutes ago, cakeman said:

Thanks for the reply..

I'll add one thing that I figured out..

If you dont have a ../worlds_local/ folder, its being saved in the Steam Cloud instead. Run Valheim, and after clicking Start Game, click "Manage Saves" .. then choose the World tab and "Move to Local" button.

Now, fingers crossed, Im going to go see how this works :)

Yeah, I forgot they added that.  Fortunately when I did this recently, my original save was local already.

• Like 1

So I got my Valheim server running yesterday with this docker.. I moved my local world into it and put a few hours in. My buddies logged into my 'new to them' world and put a few hours building and exploring and mucking about. 

I had to shutdown the whole NAS this morning due to some electrical work at my house and I just restarted it. When Valheim docker ran on restart it, as expected, did an update.

It seems to have wiped the entire previous install, including my Backups folder and the entire worlds_local folder. I have backups enabled in the docker  and its instructed to keep 24 revisions, but the ../Valheim/Backups folder is empty.

Is this somehow something I've done or an unfortunate docker error and I should be setting up a backup script?

Edited by cakeman
41 minutes ago, cakeman said:

So I got my Valheim server running yesterday with this docker.. I moved my local world into it and put a few hours in. My buddies logged into my 'new to them' world and put a few hours building and exploring and mucking about. 

I had to shutdown the whole NAS this morning due to some electrical work at my house and I just restarted it. When Valheim docker ran on restart it, as expected, did an update.

It seems to have wiped the entire previous install, including my Backups folder and the entire worlds_local folder. I have backups enabled in the docker  and its instructed to keep 24 revisions, but the ../Valheim/Backups folder is empty.

Is this somehow something I've done or an unfortunate docker error and I should be setting up a backup script?

Sorry to hear. 

I've been running that image for about 4 months now, restarting for updates, had a couple server restarts in between then for Unraid upgrades and I did not experience any of that.   I didn't change anything default either, though I do backup my game servers' `appdata/game_dir` 2 times per week as part of my weekly appdata backup routine.

so, unfortunately I can't say what would cause it, but it's not something the container would have done.

• Thanks 1
4 hours ago, cakeman said:

On it's own the container won't wipe the data in there.

4 hours ago, cakeman said:

When Valheim docker ran on restart it, as expected, did an update.

Are you sure it had to do an updated?

Can you please share a bit more details, screenshot from your template?

Are you also sure that the share where the game files are located is staying on the Cache and is not moved to the Array? If not this is most likely the cause of the issue and your world/backups are on the Array but it simply can't find it because the path in the container template points to the Cache and the actual game files and everything else are now on the Array <- this could also be the case why it pulled an update, as far as I'm aware there where no recent Valheim updates.

19 hours ago, ich777 said:

On it's own the container won't wipe the data in there.

Are you sure it had to do an updated?

Can you please share a bit more details, screenshot from your template?

Are you also sure that the share where the game files are located is staying on the Cache and is not moved to the Array? If not this is most likely the cause of the issue and your world/backups are on the Array but it simply can't find it because the path in the container template points to the Cache and the actual game files and everything else are now on the Array <- this could also be the case why it pulled an update, as far as I'm aware there where no recent Valheim updates.

Ahhhh, and heres where my 'pretty much a newb to Unraid and Linux' has bit me in the ass, haha. My cache drive failed/unmounted itself last week, before I installed the docker and Valheim server, and I havent got around to fixing it.. and now that I've found some logs in the Steam folder, it seems like maybe this is what happened. 

From content.log

[2023-12-20 17:13:25] Client version: 1702079268
[2023-12-20 17:13:25] Load failed: /serverdata/serverfiles/Steam/steamapps/libraryfolders.vdf.
[2023-12-20 17:13:25] Load failed: /serverdata/serverfiles/Steam/config/libraryfolders.vdf.
[2023-12-20 17:13:25] Steam library folders configuration will be reset.
[2023-12-20 17:13:25] No install folder configuration files found.
[2023-12-20 17:13:26] Loaded 0 apps from install folder "/serverdata/serverfiles/Steam/steamapps\appmanifest_*.acf".
[2023-12-20 17:13:26] Triggered async write of Steam library folders configuration (1 libraries).

[2023-12-20 17:13:32] Client version: 1702079268
[2023-12-20 17:13:32] Loaded Steam library folders configuration: /serverdata/serverfiles/Steam/steamapps/libraryfolders.vdf
[2023-12-20 17:13:33] Loaded 0 apps from install folder "/serverdata/serverfiles/steamapps\appmanifest_*.acf".
[2023-12-20 17:13:33] Triggered async write of Steam library folders configuration (1 libraries).
[2023-12-20 17:13:34] AppID 896660 state changed : Update Required,
[2023-12-20 17:13:34] AppID 896660 user config changed : added depots 1006,896661
[2023-12-20 17:13:34] AppID 896660 scheduler update : Priority First, not played for 1 seconds, update disabled for 0 seconds
[2023-12-20 17:13:34] AppID 896660 state changed : Update Required,Update Queued,
[2023-12-20 17:13:34] AppID 896660 scheduler update : Priority First, not played for 1 seconds, update disabled for 0 seconds
[2023-12-20 17:13:34] AppID 896660 config changed : added depots 1006,896661
[2023-12-20 17:13:34] AppID 896660 state changed : Update Required,Update Queued,Update Running,
[2023-12-20 17:13:34] AppID 896660 update changed : Running Update,
[2023-12-20 17:13:34] AppID 896660 update changed : Running Update,Reconfiguring,
[2023-12-20 17:13:34] Got 10 download sources and 0 caching proxies via ContentServerDirectoryService::BYieldingGetServersForSteamPipe (CellID 94 / Launcher 3)

[..]

It sounds like I should move my ServerFiles path onto the array instead of the cache.. yes?

I do see a directory structure with files in it when I browse to that location, but I didnt recognize that the ../cache/appdata/.. was just that .. a temporary cache. derp.

Thank you very much for your help.. I'm trying to learn to use Linux/Unraid but theres too much I dont know, haha.

valheim config 1.jpg

valheim config 2.jpg

Edited by cakeman
6 hours ago, KRONBERG said:

the following string seems to be related to wine: bcde0395-e52f-467c-8e3d-c4579291692e

Usually these are WINE messages and should not hatm anything.

Is the container not working?

What happens when you restart the container?

Do you maybe have the full log?

2 hours ago, cakeman said:

It sounds like I should move my ServerFiles path onto the array instead of the cache.. yes?

My general recomendation is that you set your appdata share to stay on the cache and not to be moved from the cache to the array since otherwise the array never can go into spindown.

The appdata directory usually contains data that your server has to access quickly and all the time that‘s why I recommend not moving it to the array.

42 minutes ago, ich777 said:

Are you sure that you stop the container, edit the file, save the file and then start the container again?

appdata/ark-se/shootergame/saved/config/linuxserver/gameusersetting.ini 
I change the number of players to 5, save and start the server. Then everything is back to default on the 70 do I have to change anything else before to save changes?

Greetings

Tobias

3 minutes ago, Tobîîas said:

appdata/ark-se/shootergame/saved/config/linuxserver/gameusersetting.ini 
I change the number of players to 5, save and start the server. Then everything is back to default on the 70 do I have to change anything else before to save changes?

Greetings

Tobias

With the protocol the message always appears

Failed to load Steam API...dlmopen steamservice.so: steamservice.so: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

image.thumb.png.ba4be99f4bcede36d993caa7d1aed907.png

26 minutes ago, Tobîîas said:

With the protocol the message always appears

Failed to load Steam API...dlmopen steamservice.so: steamservice.so: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

image.thumb.png.ba4be99f4bcede36d993caa7d1aed907.png

That's normal and unrelated.

I had similar issues, but it's because you're likely missing launch parameters and the Arkserver service is defaulting your gus.ini
For instance,  I had issues with this previously and it was because I was trying to set all config options in gus.ini, but you cannot.  You must at least define the passwords in the container config.

https://forums.unraid.net/topic/79530-support-ich777-gameserver-dockers/?do=findComment&comment=1335242

Edited by dlchamp
include link to solved related issue.
  • Like 1
32 minutes ago, dlchamp said:

That's normal and unrelated.

I had similar issues, but it's because you're likely missing launch parameters and the Arkserver service is defaulting your gus.ini
For instance,  I had issues with this previously and it was because I was trying to set all config options in gus.ini, but you cannot.  You must at least define the passwords in the container config.

https://forums.unraid.net/topic/79530-support-ich777-gameserver-dockers/?do=findComment&comment=1335242

image.thumb.png.1217024f405fadcf4c298d1f9b67e9e3.png