[Support] SpaceinvaderOne - Macinabox

3 hours ago, neruve said:

I KNOW deep down, I should wait for the video to come out... but dammit i'm too excited and have been waiting for a couple weeks! This is what happens when the container runs: 

image.png.c6e703c44446822b519fd653c90fb201.png

Any insight? Are there things that need to be setup on Unraid before-hand? I do have the VM service enabled.

EDIT: I'm also on the newest beta (6.9.0-beta-35) Although I'm pretty sure Ed runs the beta himself and I can't imagine him dropping something that will break when they release 6.9.0 so I don't think that is a problem.

Follow this

1. File -> Add Connection
  2. Check "Connect to remote host over SSH
  3. Leave Username as root
  4. Set the hostname to the IP of your unRAID box
  5. Check "Autoconnect"
  6. If you get a prompt for the SSH key, type yes and then click OK
  7. Enter your root password and click OK
  8. Be confused as the Macinabox VM doesn't yet exist
3 hours ago, shaunmccloud said:

Follow this

1. File -> Add Connection
  2. Check "Connect to remote host over SSH
  3. Leave Username as root
  4. Set the hostname to the IP of your unRAID box
  5. Check "Autoconnect"
  6. If you get a prompt for the SSH key, type yes and then click OK
  7. Enter your root password and click OK
  8. Be confused as the Macinabox VM doesn't yet exist

I then get this.

1048329828_Screenshotfrom2020-12-1009-54-41.png.3ea5788a1d6835d22bb090ec390cc3cf.png

I have changed the vm libvert storage location from its default - perhaps this is why.

21 hours ago, jonathanm said:

Inquiring minds want to know, can you leverage this to other VM's as well by specifying a template of some sort to fix the edits the GUI mangles?

What it does is when the first template is created it makes an xml file using the variables from the container template.

The container also installs a custom userscript into unraid. 

This script grabs the xml from the vm using virsh. Then with that it uses a combination of sed and tee to find add and swap the necessary xml putting into another xml file which is then put back into the server defining the vm again with virsh.

You can see the scripts on my github here https://github.com/SpaceinvaderOne/Macinabox

• Like 1

Ok so new Macinabox is now on CA.

Please watch this video for how to use the container. It is not obvious from just installing the container.

Now it is really important to delete the old macinabox, especially its template else the old and new template combine. Whilst this wont break macinabox you will have old variables in the template that are not used anymore.

I recommend removing the old macinabox appdata aswell.

Basic usage instructions.

Macinabox needs the following other apps to be installed.

CA User Scripts (macinabox will inject a user script. This is what fixes the xml after edits made in the Unraid VM manager)

Custom VM icons  (install this if you want the custom icons for macOS in your vm)

Install the new macinabox.

1. In the template select the OS which you want to install

2. Choose auto (default) or manual install. (manual install will just put the install media and opencore into your iso share)

3. Choose a vdisk size for the vm

4. In VM Images: Here you must put the VM image location  (this path will put the vdisk in for the vm)

5. In VM Images again : re enter the same location  as above. Here its stored as a variable. This will be used when macinabox generate the xml template.

6. In Isos Share Location: Here you must put the location of your iso share. Macinabox will put named install media and opencore here.

7. In Isos Share Location Again: Again this must be the same as above. Here its stored as a variable. Macinabox will use this when it genarates the template.

8. Download method. Leave as default unless for some reason method 1 doesnt work

9. Run mode. Choose between macinabox_with_virtmanager or virtmanager only.

( When I started rewriting macinabox i was going to only use virtmanager to make changes to the xml. However I thought it much easier and better to be able to use the Unraid vm manager to add a gpu cores ram etc, then have macinabox fix the xml afterwards.

I deceided to leave vitmanager in anyway, in case its needed. For example there is a bug in Unraid 6.9.beta (including beta 35.) When you have any vm that uses vnc graphics then you change that to a passed through gpu it adds the gpu as a second gpu leaving the vnc in place.  This was also a major reason i left virtmanger in macinabox. For situations like this its nice to have another tool. I show all of this in the video guide. )

After the container starts it will download the install media and put it in the iso share. Big Sur seems to take alot longer than the other macOS versions. So to know when its finished goto userscripts and run the macinabox notify script (in background) a message will pop up on the unraid webui when its finished.

At this point you can run the macinabox helper script. It will check to see if there is a new autoinstall ready to install then it will install the custom xml template into the VM tab.

Goto the vm tab now and run the vm

This will boot up into the Opencore bootloader and then the install media.

Install macOS as normal.

After install you can change the vm in the Unraid VM Manager. Add cores ram gpu etc if you want.

Then go back to the macinabox helper script. Put in the name of the vm at the top of the script and then run the script.

It will add back all the custom xml to the vm and its ready to run.

Hope you guys like this new macinabox :)

• Thanks 2
3 minutes ago, SpaceInvaderOne said:

I am thinking of closing this thread and starting a new one for this version of macinabox. Directing people from this thread to there.

I think it would be cleaner to have a support thread for the new version separate to this.

I wondered what you guys think is that a good idea or not ? 😀

That is a great idea. 

• Like 1
7 minutes ago, SpaceInvaderOne said:

please can you type in the unraid terminal

ls /boot/config/plugins/user.scripts/scripts/

and paste back what you get

1_macinabox_helper/          Plex\ tmp/            delete.ds_store/         nextcloud\ sql/         rsync\ to\ Proxmox/
1_macinabox_vmready_notify/

yeah, I went there and it is indeed present, but not showing on the unraid plugin 

I just ran the script from CLI and it works....just not showing up for me in scripts page. not sure why, but running this from terminal worked for me

Edited by ffhelllskjdje
2 minutes ago, ffhelllskjdje said:

1_macinabox_helper/          Plex\ tmp/            delete.ds_store/         nextcloud\ sql/         rsync\ to\ Proxmox/
1_macinabox_vmready_notify/

yeah, I went there and it is indeed present, but not showing on the unraid plugin 

Im thats very strange. You can also find a copy of the scripts in the macinabox appdata in the the subfolder macinabox. (  /mnt/user/appdata/macinabox/macinabox

You can copy and paste into the userscripts manually.

Thanks for this @SpaceInvaderOne.  This is great!

I am trying to create a BigSur VM and get to "Install macOs BigSur" option, click Continue and get this error: "The recovery server could not be contacted".

From my quick google search, either this VM doesn't have network access OR Apple's servers are overloaded.

Looking in the logs for the installer, i see "could not connect to the server" messages.

Any thoughts?

ID 10 T error.  I forgot had my router put new devices in Quarantine with no Internet Access.  🤦

Edited by digidep

So, kind of a weird error...

This one says access is denied?  I have Catalina and Mojave both installed...But this just isn't working.  I looked in my iso folder, and I see the big sur image downloaded, or at least 2GB of it.  Thoughts or ideas?
BTW, using method 2.  Method 1 seems to just stop.

2020-12-09 18:53:44,444 Network Request: Fetching https://swscan.apple.com/content/catalogs/others/index-10.16-10.15-10.14-10.13-10.12-10.11-10.10-10.9-mountainlion-lion-snowleopard-leopard.merged-1.sucatalog
2020-12-09 18:53:45,436 Selected macOS Product: 001-83532
/Macinabox/unraid.sh: line 273: /Macinabox/tools/FetchMacOS/BaseSystem/SharedSupport.dmg: Permission denied

Edited by DanRegalia
6 hours ago, SpaceInvaderOne said:

Im thats very strange. You can also find a copy of the scripts in the macinabox appdata in the the subfolder macinabox. (  /mnt/user/appdata/macinabox/macinabox

You can copy and paste into the userscripts manually.

My paste:

At\ Startup\ of\ Array/  delete.ds_store/  delete_dangling_images/  viewDockerLogSize/  vm\ settings\ backup/

No scripts, and no scripts in: 

/mnt/user/appdata/macinabox/macinabox

Also tried "method 2".

Edited by frodr

Great news !

I'm trying to install BigSur and passed through an Nvme controller directly. In the installation process, the drive is present but as an external drive... And I can't install BigSur on it. Is there a trick that I'm missing or is it more complicated (and I should only pass through the drive itself) ?

3 hours ago, frodr said:

My paste:

At\ Startup\ of\ Array/  delete.ds_store/  delete_dangling_images/  viewDockerLogSize/  vm\ settings\ backup/

No scripts, and no scripts in: 

/mnt/user/appdata/macinabox/macinabox

Also tried "method 2".

But then, after waiting a while, the scripts are in.

just can't get this working, I get up to the part of the install which completes successfully but then I never see my "bigsur" hard drive. I've tried changing start up disk, rebooting, restarting docker, my only selections are macOS base system, MacOS installer, Recovery, UEFI Shell, Shutdown and Reset NVRAM.

Tried removing docker, deleting directories and reinstalling and same issue.

EDIT, Catalina seems to work but can't get Big Sur to work

Edited by ffhelllskjdje
10 hours ago, DMenace83 said:

Does the new version of macinabox support USB passthrough of an iphone? Not the full USB controller, but just the iphone.

man this is so wrong in many ways.. I can think of a billion things going wrong with this.. if you dont have a spare usb controller, I really really encourage you to buy a pci to usb card or ANY sort of device.. m.2 to usb anything other than doing that

• Like 2