Unassigned Devices - Managing Disk Drives and Remote Shares Outside of The Unraid Array

17 hours ago, kowe said:

I think is a permission setting or something like that, I was using the same credentials and configuration on the Mac, the only difference is a clean install of Sonoma. 

You have that checked for the user(s), right?

image.png.02b741b983d1f910708707c7f4b1e008.png

Edited by Kilrah

Some of us are having lockups with out of memory issues, one user thinks that he has found the culprit and that it's the unassigned devices plugin. But there's nothing to discern whether that really is the case. Here is the thread on reddit about it incase you want to take a look @dlandon

(I'm having the same Out of memory lockups as those in the thread describe and I am using Unassigned Devices with a USB based external hard drive but I have no idea if this issue is correlated or not).

Edited by Pri
2 hours ago, unr41dus3r said:

What would be the recommended way to automate this?

I'm looking into this issue and need some information.  Please provide me with the following:

• Screen shot of the disk on the UD page.
  • Output of the command 'zfs list' when the disk is mounted.
  • How was the disk created?
  • Is this a disk you will leave as a UD device?
1 hour ago, dlandon said:

I'm looking into this issue and need some information.  Please provide me with the following:

• Screen shot of the disk on the UD page.
  • Output of the command 'zfs list' when the disk is mounted.
  • How was the disk created?
  • Is this a disk you will leave as a UD device?

The Disk was partitioned with Unassigned Devices with an Single encrypted ZFS Partition.

I created afterwards a ZFS Dataset with CLI and with ZFS Master Plugin.

zfs list:

NAME                                USED  AVAIL     REFER  MOUNTPOINT
external-ssd                      935G   864G      112K  /mnt/disks/external-ssd
external-ssd/dataset1        935G   864G      932G  /mnt/disks/external-ssd/dataset1

external-ssd/dataset2        935G   864G      932G  /mnt/disks/external-ssd/dataset2

The disk would stay as Unassigned Disk Device, i dont want to move it into an array

3 hours ago, unr41dus3r said:

The Disk was partitioned with Unassigned Devices with an Single encrypted ZFS Partition.

I created afterwards a ZFS Dataset with CLI and with ZFS Master Plugin.

zfs list:

NAME                                USED  AVAIL     REFER  MOUNTPOINT
external-ssd                      935G   864G      112K  /mnt/disks/external-ssd
external-ssd/dataset1        935G   864G      932G  /mnt/disks/external-ssd/dataset1

external-ssd/dataset2        935G   864G      932G  /mnt/disks/external-ssd/dataset2

The disk would stay as Unassigned Disk Device, i dont want to move it into an array

I'm working on a potential solution.

• Thanks 1
On 9/3/2023 at 4:18 PM, dlandon said:

There are several ways:

• Set the array to never spin down disks and then set your array disks to spin down on the timer you want.
  • Set the array to never spin down disks and manually spin down the array disks

Am I understanding this to mean UD spin down follows Unraid's disk spin down setting?  I seem to notice opposite effect where UD disks don't spin down.  My Unraid disk spin down setting is 1 hour.

18 hours ago, dboonthego said:

Am I understanding this to mean UD spin down follows Unraid's disk spin down setting?  I seem to notice opposite effect where UD disks don't spin down.  My Unraid disk spin down setting is 1 hour.

Not all USB disks will spin down.  See if it will spin down manually by clicking on the orb.

6 minutes ago, dlandon said:

Not all USB disks will spin down.  See if it will spin down manually by clicking on the orb.

They're not USB, but coincidentally, they spun down on their own eventually.  The orb works, but I couldn't find a UD setting to control it automatically.  I have 3 unassigned disks.  None are mounted; two are zeroed.  They were consistently green, and I was puzzled why.  Thanks.

Hi All,

is there a way to mount a SMB share via console ?
My NAS is off while backup is not running but turns on via WOL before backup runs.
The SMB share is mounted via unassigned devices.
I want to mount the share via a user script when it comes online again.

/usr/local/sbin/rc.unassigned mount name=NAS
is not working

Hi everyone, I have a healthy HD from which I would like to copy the data into the array. Previously this hd was part of the array and still contains the data. The problem arises from the fact that when I put the new hd in the array putting zfs as system file, the reconstruction started but unraid gave me unmountable unsupported or no file system. I paused the reconstruction, I formatted the new disk in ZFS, the error disappeared and the reconstruction started again. However, in the occupied space bar it only shows me a few kilobytes, so I deduce that at the end of the reconstruction the new HD will be empty. So I ask if by putting the old HD with the data as unassigned devices I can copy the data to the new HD? if so with which docker? Unbalance?

46 minutes ago, distel said:

Hi All,

is there a way to mount a SMB share via console ?
My NAS is off while backup is not running but turns on via WOL before backup runs.
The SMB share is mounted via unassigned devices.
I want to mount the share via a user script when it comes online again.

/usr/local/sbin/rc.unassigned mount name=NAS
is not working

You are using the wrong command parameters.  For the 'AV Media' share shown here:

Screenshot 2023-10-08 065502.png

The command would be:

/usr/local/sbin/rc.unassigned mount '//BACKUPSERVER/AV Media'

Be sure to quote a share with spaces in the share name.

The 'name=' is used when mounting a disk by alias name.

• Like 1
30 minutes ago, Pera78 said:

Hi everyone, I have a healthy HD from which I would like to copy the data into the array. Previously this hd was part of the array and still contains the data. The problem arises from the fact that when I put the new hd in the array putting zfs as system file, the reconstruction started but unraid gave me unmountable unsupported or no file system. I paused the reconstruction, I formatted the new disk in ZFS, the error disappeared and the reconstruction started again. However, in the occupied space bar it only shows me a few kilobytes, so I deduce that at the end of the reconstruction the new HD will be empty. So I ask if by putting the old HD with the data as unassigned devices I can copy the data to the new HD? if so with which docker? Unbalance?

If the disk was in the array and still has data, UD can mount it and you can use mc or the file manager to copy the data.  Unbalance only copies files between array disks.

4 hours ago, Pera78 said:

I am a bit confused by exactly what has happened.   You seem to imply that the drive is not part of the array and you want to copy data to the array, and then you talk about adding it to the array before doing any copying.   You also mention formatting which would wipe any existing data but it is not clear exactly what was formatted.

Just noticed by accident that UD doesn’t stop me from using a number at the beginning of the pool name when trying to format a single disk using ZFS as filesystem.

I didn’t see it the first time around, but there is an error message popup along the lines of — Fail — see syslog for details. The thing is, this message disappears so fast that if you looked away for a few seconds, it’s gone and you’re none the wiser about what happened. Luckily I looked in the syslog and saw my mistake.

Edited by LeoFender

Hi, since yesterday I have issues with my drives that are connected via USB. Every few hours they become unavailable suddenly and only a reboot brings them back. After the reboot, everything is normal and works fine for a few hours. Does anyone have the same issue or an idea what could cause this?

All SATA-connected drives are working fine, it's only the 5 drives that are based in a FANTEC USB enclosure. After the issue appeared for 3 times in a row, I switched the USB enclosure to another one from ICYBOX because I thought the Enclosure causes the issue, but after a few hours I had the same "Reboot" button in Unraid and the drives were inaccessible.

I updated to plugin version 2023.10.08 before this started.

Screenshot_1.png

Screenshot_2.png

Edited by median-symposium6528
added description details
On 10/3/2023 at 7:20 PM, Pri said:

Some of us are having lockups with out of memory issues, one user thinks that he has found the culprit and that it's the unassigned devices plugin. But there's nothing to discern whether that really is the case. Here is the thread on reddit about it incase you want to take a look @dlandon

(I'm having the same Out of memory lockups as those in the thread describe and I am using Unassigned Devices with a USB based external hard drive but I have no idea if this issue is correlated or not).

That was me that posted that and it is definitely the Unassigned Devices plugin causing it, in my case anyway.

I built a second server with 6.12.4 and twice now caused my system to become totally unresponsive when using this plugin. The first time I was at work so I left it for a few hours, when I tried again I was able to get back on. There was a OOM error in the logs caused by the avahi-daemon that the system finally killed and I was able to use the system again. The same process that was giving me an OOM on my main server in 6.11.5

Just a few minutes ago I caused the new server to go unresponsive again. I realized I was doing the same thing this morning. 

- Setting up a remote mounted SMB share. I follow the wizard, pick the server, enter username and password, I get the the "shares" section and click load shares. It looks like it's working but doesn't actually load the shares. Then the server becomes totally unresponsive. 

That's where I am right now on the new server, waiting for it to start working again. If I force a reboot, I'll lose the logs so I'll let it go. I fully expect to find another OOM caused by Asahi-daemon but I'll let you know for sure

3 hours ago, median-symposium6528 said:

All SATA-connected drives are working fine, it's only the 5 drives that are based in a FANTEC USB enclosure. After the issue appeared for 3 times in a row, I switched the USB enclosure to another one from ICYBOX because I thought the Enclosure causes the issue, but after a few hours I had the same "Reboot" button in Unraid and the drives were inaccessible.

The 'Reboot' on the mount button shows up when the drive is mounted and then goes offline before it is unmounted.  As you found out, the soluton is to reboot the server to sort it out - hence the 'Reboot' on the mount button.

It appears all the drives with the 'Reboot' issue are in the same drive bay, so it's probably a common issue.  Check the log and see if there is any indication of what is going on.

Check the following:

• Power supply for the drive bay.
  • USB cable.
  • USB port - change ports.
13 minutes ago, shaunvis said:

That was me that posted that and it is definitely the Unassigned Devices plugin causing it, in my case anyway.

I built a second server with 6.12.4 and twice now caused my system to become totally unresponsive when using this plugin. The first time I was at work so I left it for a few hours, when I tried again I was able to get back on. There was a OOM error in the logs caused by the avahi-daemon that the system finally killed and I was able to use the system again. The same process that was giving me an OOM on my main server in 6.11.5

Just a few minutes ago I caused the new server to go unresponsive again. I realized I was doing the same thing this morning. 

- Setting up a remote mounted SMB share. I follow the wizard, pick the server, enter username and password, I get the the "shares" section and click load shares. It looks like it's working but doesn't actually load the shares. Then the server becomes totally unresponsive. 

That's where I am right now on the new server, waiting for it to start working again. If I force a reboot, I'll lose the logs so I'll let it go. I fully expect to find another OOM caused by Asahi-daemon but I'll let you know for sure

UD uses built in Linux commands to perform UD functions.  I don't see how UD could cause an OOM issue, but I'll need some diagnostics to see what is going on.  You can get diagnostics in a terminal with the 'diagnostics' command.  The diagnostics zip file will be stored on the flash in the /logs/ folder.

56 minutes ago, dlandon said:

UD uses built in Linux commands to perform UD functions.  I don't see how UD could cause an OOM issue, but I'll need some diagnostics to see what is going on.  You can get diagnostics in a terminal with the 'diagnostics' command.  The diagnostics zip file will be stored on the flash in the /logs/ folder.

I don't know either but I had constant OOM caused by Avahi-daemon on my main server. I eventually made it go away by removing unassigned devices. I reinstalled it and was fine after that. The OOM made 6.12 totally unusable on my main server. After fixing the OOM caused by UD, I was able to finally upgrade to 6.12.4 and have been up over a week without issue.

This new server is having the same behavior. 

Logs attached, let me know if I can do anything else to help. This is just a test system for now so I can mess with it and not care about it breaking. I do plan on making it an active server once this is resolved though

hoth-diagnostics-20231010-1614.zip