Unassigned Devices - Managing Disk Drives and Remote Shares Outside of The Unraid Array

dlandon, guys...

I'm a bit confused... multiple questions following:

I have a 250GB sata ssd, passed through to a win 10 vm and used to host the system partition and to boot the Wind 10 from it - basically my only drive for this VM.

in UD it appears as not mounted (gray button).

1) should it be?

I understand that xfs and etx4 partitions are mounted by default with discard (trim)

But this is ntfs.

2) it means that trim for ntfs is not enabled?

Because I get in windows this output when running the check for trim - command prompt(admin):

C:\Windows\system32>fsutil behavior query DisableDeleteNotify
NTFS DisableDeleteNotify = 0
ReFS DisableDeleteNotify is not currently set

first line for ntfs - sounds like trim enabled

3) but second line is a bit confusing - what does it mean?

thanks

-d

dlandon, guys...

I'm a bit confused... multiple questions following:

I have a 250GB sata ssd, passed through to a win 10 vm and used to host the system partition and to boot the Wind 10 from it - basically my only drive for this VM.

in UD it appears as not mounted (gray button).

1) should it be?

I understand that xfs and etx4 partitions are mounted by default with discard (trim)

But this is ntfs.

2) it means that trim for ntfs is not enabled?

Because I get in windows this output when running the check for trim - command prompt(admin):

C:\Windows\system32>fsutil behavior query DisableDeleteNotify
NTFS DisableDeleteNotify = 0
ReFS DisableDeleteNotify is not currently set

first line for ntfs - sounds like trim enabled

3) but second line is a bit confusing - what does it mean?

thanks

-d

Since you are passing it through to a VM, you shouldn't use UD to mess with the device.

UD is for mounting devices so they are available in unraid.

First of all thank you for the great plugin.

I am using the example script to backup some of my shares to external drive.

Everything works fine, but the file names in the script log are not utf8 compatible.

Started: Sat Feb 18 23:17:07 CET 2017
sending incremental file list
Test/\#303\#274\#303\#244\#303\#266.txt
Test/\#320\#266\#320\#276\#320\#277\#320\#260.txt
deleting Test/subdir/\#320\#266\#320\#276\#320\#277\#320\#260.txt
deleting Test/subdir/\#303\#274\#303\#244\#303\#266.txt

sent 234 bytes  received 106 bytes  680.00 bytes/sec
total size is 0  speedup is 0.00
Completed: Sat Feb 18 23:17:09 CET 2017

How can I get the original names in the script log?

First of all thank you for the great plugin.

I am using the example script to backup some of my shares to external drive.

Everything works fine, but the file names in the script log are not utf8 compatible.

Started: Sat Feb 18 23:17:07 CET 2017
sending incremental file list
Test/\#303\#274\#303\#244\#303\#266.txt
Test/\#320\#266\#320\#276\#320\#277\#320\#260.txt
deleting Test/subdir/\#320\#266\#320\#276\#320\#277\#320\#260.txt
deleting Test/subdir/\#303\#274\#303\#244\#303\#266.txt

sent 234 bytes  received 106 bytes  680.00 bytes/sec
total size is 0  speedup is 0.00
Completed: Sat Feb 18 23:17:09 CET 2017

How can I get the original names in the script log?

What are the original file names?

German Umlauts and Cyrillic.

üäö.txt
?.txt

Ok, the forum can´t handle cyrillic also ...

It appears that you are using rsync in the script.  UD has no control over what rsync is doing.  You might find an rsync parameter that would respect the special characters in your file names or a way to display them in their original form.

German Umlauts and Cyrillic.

üäö.txt
?.txt

Ok, the forum can´t handle cyrillic also ...

It appears that you are using rsync in the script.  UD has no control over what rsync is doing.  You might find an rsync parameter that would respect the special characters in your file names or a way to display them in their original form.

I also found that Windows couldn't handle these characters in filenames either. That may just be something to do with my locale settings. Since it only affects a few files now and then (mostly downloads where someone else created the filename), I just rename the files.

Cyrillic text works in the preview for the forum - I won't prove to myself whether posting works until I click Post though.

I've rsync'd these files between unRAID servers and the names are preserved - mover respects them too.

-rw-rw---- 1 nobody users 4924819 Oct  6  2009 09\ ?\ ?????\ ?\ ???\ (All\ The\ Things\ She\ Said).mp3

-rw-rw---- 1 nobody users 6462905 Oct  6  2009 10\ ???\ ??\ ???????\ (Not\ Gonna\ Get\ Us).mp3

They also work with the macOS Finder.

EDIT: Nope, it doesn't work when you click Post, but it does work with Preview.

13 hours ago, cyberdude said:

Just wanted you to be aware that I posted an issue on the Github issues.

https://github.com/dlandon/unassigned.devices/issues/14

I've found that I couldn't mount ISOs that was dd'ed or qemu-img'd from physical disks. Unassigned-devices currently limits the mounting points to only CD/iso9660.

I've posted an idea to a potential fix.

Done.

• Upvote 1
7 hours ago, dlandon said:

Done.

Thanks, and confirmed working here :)

Another request (not so important, but if you feel like it/have time), would be the option to mount these ISO shares as optionally readonly.

[x] Checkbox Read-only in the dialog => $info["readonly"] = true => "-r" to the command executed in the same line as the previous issue.

Just a nice little extra touch, but nothing too important.

Might also make sense on the other mounts? SMB/NFS, Disk? I'm not sure, maybe.

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, hblockx said:

Kind of all tools need a running data-array. Is it possible to skip that check? I just want to use unassigned SSDs... :(

Why? If all you are trying to accomplish is a virtual host there are probably simpler solutions than unRAID.

6 hours ago, hblockx said:

Kind of all tools need a running data-array. Is it possible to skip that check? I just want to use unassigned SSDs... :(

Without the array running, there isn't anything you can do.  Dockers and VMs won't run without the array running.

On 3.3.2017 at 2:28 PM, trurl said:

Why? If all you are trying to accomplish is a virtual host there are probably simpler solutions than unRAID.

22 hours ago, dlandon said:

Without the array running, there isn't anything you can do.  Dockers and VMs won't run without the array running.

Actually i just want to be able to passthrough 2 partitions to 2 VMs for installing Windows on each. With <disk type='file' device='disk'>
      <driver name='qemu' type='raw' cache='none'/>
      <source file='/mnt/user/domains/Windows 10/vdisk1.img'/>
      <target dev='hdc' bus='virtio'/>
      <boot order='1'/>
      <address type='pci' domain='0x0000' bus='0x00' slot='0x04' function='0x0'/>
    </disk>

I get rly bad performance of the ssd (1mb/sec 4k write) and i am searching for a way to fix this...

On 2/4/2017 at 3:07 PM, dgaschk said:

This is repeating over and over again on two servers that where updated to 6.3.0 last night. All plugins are current.

Feb  4 01:38:18 rack root: error: plugins/preclear.disk/Preclear.php: missing csrf_token

Feb  4 01:38:19 rack root: error: plugins/unassigned.devices/UnassignedDevices.php: missing csrf_token

Feb  4 01:38:25 rack root: error: plugins/unassigned.devices/UnassignedDevices.php: missing csrf_token

Feb  4 01:38:29 rack root: error: plugins/preclear.disk/Preclear.php: missing csrf_token

Feb  4 01:38:31 rack root: error: plugins/unassigned.devices/UnassignedDevices.php: missing csrf_token

Feb  4 01:38:37 rack root: error: plugins/unassigned.devices/UnassignedDevices.php: missing csrf_token

Feb  4 01:38:40 rack root: error: plugins/preclear.disk/Preclear.php: missing csrf_token

Feb  4 01:38:43 rack root: error: plugins/unassigned.devices/UnassignedDevices.php: missing csrf_token

Feb  4 01:38:49 rack root: error: plugins/unassigned.devices/UnassignedDevices.php: missing csrf_token

Feb  4 01:38:51 rack root: error: plugins/preclear.disk/Preclear.php: missing csrf_token

I am still having this issue, though mine all show wrong csrf_token instead of missing. Hopefully someone can help me out.

Running UnRAID 6.3.2 and as far as I know I was running the latest UD and preclear, I had CA AutoUpdate setup for the plugins to run weekly.

I came in to the office last night to hook up a drive and setup a file copy to run over night. I hooked up a usb 3.0 external wd passport drive to the front port of the server and noticed a kernel panic flash across the screen and then the power light went out and the server rebooted. On booting and loading the UnRAID OS with the drive still plugged in UnRAID crashed again.

I shut the server off, unplugged it, let it sit for five minutes, plugged it back in and it booted fine.

When I looked at the log it was getting hit every five seconds with wrong csrf_token errors from both the preclear plugin and UD. I found some other threads were people saw clearing their browsers and uninstalling re-installing fixed it so I tried that, but the issue persisted. I use Chrome mainly if that makes a difference.

I decided to uninstall it for the time being so the logs wouldn't fill up because I didn't want to work on it in the middle of the night. I unplugged the drive, cleared the /boot/ directory of any files folders I found relating to the plugins and rebooted the server.

Even with the plugins uninstalled I am still seeing the UD section on my Main tab with a phantom disk for the USB hard drive listed as /dev/sda (see attached snippet). I checked and fdisk -l does not show a /dev/sda at all so the underlying Linux kernel does not see the drive still.

Diagnostics are attached, you can see in the log that as soon as I attempt to re-install UD my log immediately starts getting wrong csrf_token errors again.

I would prefer to be able to keep UD and preclear so I would appreciate some help in fixing whatever happened.

Capture3.PNG

node-diagnostics-20170305-1011.zip

Edited by weirdcrap
adding details.

Unassigned Devices is part of unRAID even if you don't have the plugin installed. The plugin just adds functionality to let you do things with the unassigned devices.Your screenshot is showing the unassigned device but it doesn't have any of the added functionality.

And your diagnostics does show the disk, but not any SMART for it which is not unusual for USB. Is it actually unplugged? Or did you just not expect to see it in the Unassigned Devices tab (which is normal)?

As for wrong csrf, do you have any other computer or an android or iphone app accessing your server? Are all your plugins up-to-date?

Wrong csrf_token means what trurl stated:  Another browser on another device was active before the reboot of the server and is still pointed at the server's (or plugin's) web page

Missing csrf_token means that the plugin is not up to date (or the author has not updated it to handle the security requirements)

25 minutes ago, trurl said:

Unassigned Devices is part of unRAID even if you don't have the plugin installed. The plugin just adds functionality to let you do things with the unassigned devices.Your screenshot is showing the unassigned device but it doesn't have any of the added functionality.

And your diagnostics does show the disk, but not any SMART for it which is not unusual for USB. Is it actually unplugged? Or did you just not expect to see it in the Unassigned Devices tab (which is normal)?

As for wrong csrf, do you have any other computer or an android or iphone app accessing your server? Are all your plugins up-to-date?

@trurlThat disk has been unplugged for hours and is sitting on my desk at home so it should not still be showing in UD, that's why I was concerned about it. Thanks for the info about it being a part of UnRAID, I was not aware it was so heavily integrated.

I did see some bits about having the controlr app installed with the associated plugin which I did have but have already uninstalled and it did not fix the issue.

@SquidCome to think of it I may have a browser open on a machine in the server room I was using on Friday, that is probably the cause of the wrong csrf_token error.

Edited by weirdcrap
35 minutes ago, Squid said:

Wrong csrf_token means what trurl stated:  Another browser on another device was active before the reboot of the server and is still pointed at the server's (or plugin's) web page

Missing csrf_token means that the plugin is not up to date (or the author has not updated it to handle the security requirements)

You were right, I did leave one browser window open I totally forgot about. That's what I get for checking on the server from so many other servers on the network.

Now that I fixed that CSRF error my ghost device is gone as well. I guess it had something to do with the browser session I had left open on the other machine.

• trurl pinned this topic