Soon™️ 6.12 Series

starbetrayer

2 minutes ago, aniel said:

btrfs by itself cant protect u if there is not a hdd parity for it

It's not parity for btrfs, it's a raid level, and of course if you make a separate pool it needs its own protection.

so to make sure we are on the same page is unraid going to support 30+ hdds and/or multiple arrays?

Read the thread.

https://forums.unraid.net/topic/131857-soon™️-612-series/?do=findComment&comment=1213901

Edited by Kilrah

am reading it but i cant comprehend how parity will work and/or if we are going to be able to go above 30+ hdds if we ever have that need

Multi device pools can use BTRFS raid levels for resilience. Same will be for zfs multidevice pools. Its only the parity protected array that is limited to 30 devicea.

3 minutes ago, SimonF said:

Multi device pools can use BTRFS raid levels for resilience. Same will be for zfs multidevice pools. Its only the parity protected array that is limited to 30 devicea.

so we are back to square 1. we cant go above 30+ devices in the main array which is the issue here.

Edited by aniel
9 minutes ago, aniel said:

i just need to see how this pools work because i have a feeling am gonna be disappointed in the end

At the moment you can have multi-drive btrfs pools supporting a wide variety of raid levels supported by btrfs.   In a similar way you will be able to have multi-drive ZFS pools supporting the raid levels that ZFS supports.

On 1/12/2023 at 11:47 PM, limetech said:

... IMO where ZFS will shine is in large flash-based pools (SSD, NVMe, etc).

Will ZFS SSD Trim be supported, or even better main array SSD TRIM?

I'm on TrueNAS Core right now just because there is no clear documented position on use of SSDs in the main array, even for those with confirmed Zero after TRIM, which seems to be the preferred option...

I tried the ZFS plugin a while back but it was unstable on my machine with frequent hangs, worked flawless on TrueNAS though...

Would love to come back to unraid for the awesome community :)

At the moment in pools you can choose a number of raid options for BTFS pools.

I suppose no one is really using it because BTFS in raid5/6 was unreliable (is this fixed up-steam now!?!?) but in theory you could run a system that has parity built into the pool as that what raid5/6 is.

When ZFS is released for unraid this is what you would be able to do... a zfs pool with raid5 / 6 (or raidz1 / 2etc) as aswell as other raid options.

You can also choose to use mirrors which would disolve any re-silvering time at the expense of needing 1-1 drives.

Edited by dopeytree
  • Like 1
26 minutes ago, FlyingTexan said:

Use for Plex and future encoding/deciding. Use its AV1 support in the future for compression. 

This is tough since AV1 isn't even working properly on Windows (stutters, artifacts and even crashing the whole system) and on Linux there needs some serious work to be done too to get the HW transcoding working.

The next thing is that on Linux you need the Intel Media Drivers package too which needs to be integrated into the containers themself to even support encoding/decoding in the container.

I've seen some serious progress recently in the Intel Media Driver GitHub but it's a long way that those things work reliably (on Windows too) like for the already existing Intel iGPUs with QuickSync for h264 (AVC) or h265 (HEVC).

EDIT: I'm also not sure if much devices can decode AV1 currently, at least I think Apple devices, especially iOS lacking support for AV1 currently, but that might change in the near future.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
On 1/11/2023 at 10:41 PM, limetech said:

You really want more than 30 devices in a single array?

In a single array, yes, it should be 32. Why? Good reason, if you have a HBA controllers which supports 16 drives and you have two in your system, such as I and many others do, then the maximum drive count is 32 drives. With Unraid only supporting 30 drives, you're left with two drives you cannot add to the array.

As for the multiple array's, I'm actually fine with a 32 drive limit, but it would be nice to have more arrays, not more cache pools.

Edited by PeterDB
1 hour ago, xaositek said:

Anyone else notice that when you view a single drive from the "Main" tab, none of the "Self-Test", "Attributes", "Capabilities", etc are shown? I am running beta 5 on two different servers and notice this on both.

Betas are not public so it may still being worked on.

• Like 1