Unraid OS version 6.12.6 available

ljm42

On 12/2/2023 at 6:30 AM, MellowB said:

I was in the same boat and thought I'd finally upgrade! Unfortunately my 13th gen Intel iGPU was not properly detected and modprobe i915 froze every time (same with powertop --auto-tune when it tries to change power managment for the iGPU), whole system hangs on reboots and stuff like that... downgraded to 6.11.5 again and everything works flawlessly still. Idk if that is an issue with my specific configuration but I guess I'll wait for 6.13......

Since diagnostics are requested on downgrade from you guys I guess I'll add them here.

tower-diagnostics-20231202-1418.zip 153.74 kB · 2 downloads

Experienced the same issues, with the same CPU on a W680 chipset. Tried removing a lot of plugins etc. but nothing worked. Additionally, clean reboot and shutdown stopped working for me too. I was getting hangs and having to force reboot. Relatively new to Unraid, and the first time I've experienced any issues, so it was nerve wracking.

After reading yours and a few other reports, I rolled back to 6.12.4 and everything seems to be working again. I will not be so quick to upgrade in the future and will definitely check the forums first.

Also attaching diagnostics in case it helps debug the issue

diagnostics-20231206-2246.zip

9 hours ago, mrhanderson said:

Experienced the same issues, with the same CPU on a W680 chipset. Tried removing a lot of plugins etc. but nothing worked. Additionally, clean reboot and shutdown stopped working for me too. I was getting hangs and having to force reboot. Relatively new to Unraid, and the first time I've experienced any issues, so it was nerve wracking.

After reading yours and a few other reports, I rolled back to 6.12.4 and everything seems to be working again. I will not be so quick to upgrade in the future and will definitely check the forums first.

Have a look at my post in the bug report section, I managed to resolve my own issue. It was a problem with my graphics card that was set as default output in BIOS but then bound via VFIO on boot for VM use. So it COULD be of your VFIO bindings on boot too.

• Like 1
9 hours ago, MellowB said:

Have a look at my post in the bug report section, I managed to resolve my own issue. It was a problem with my graphics card that was set as default output in BIOS but then bound via VFIO on boot for VM use. So it COULD be of your VFIO bindings on boot too.

Thanks, I did find your thread, but I don't believe it's relevant to my case. I have iGPU only, and no VFIO bindings AFAIK. I found at least one other person with a 13th Gen Intel that also seems to have lost iGPU access after 6.12.6. They also have a dGPU as well though, so I pointed them to your thread in the hopes it will help them. Not sure what the issue is for me though.

• Like 1
On 12/5/2023 at 5:59 PM, ConnerVT said:

Along with a flash drive backup, I usually:

• Grab a diagnostic (full of useful info if things go sideways)
  • A printout of the Main tab (array and drive assignments)
  • Set array, docker and VM to not start automatically (I'll start them up manually at first, once I see things are working properly)
  • Manually stop the array before updating (avoids any unclean shutdown)

When all works perfectly, none of this is needed.  But better to have it and not need it than...

So smart and a great reminder. Thank you

• Thanks 1

I just upgraded one server from 6.11.5 to 6.12.6, after following the steps listed by @ConnerVT. Everything went fine, although I had a small scare with my NUT plugin. It was removed automatically because it wasn't compatible with the new OS version. Fortunately there is a new compatible version, although it's a slightly different name: Network UPS Tools (NUT) for UNRAID.

I was worried that I'd have to input all the NUT parameters again, because it had been a bit of a struggle the first time, but the new plug-in seems to have picked up everything fine and I have the reassuring UPS details in my GUI footer as before.

I don't know if there's a way to turn off docker containers or VMs starting automatically at a global level, so I turned off each one manually. For this server it was simple, but when I get round to my other server, I will definitely record which ones are set to start automatically because I'm not sure I would remember which ones I had set to start automatically.

• Upvote 1
7 hours ago, sonofdbn said:

I don't know if there's a way to turn off docker containers or VMs starting automatically at a global level, so I turned off each one manually.

Settings > Docker > Enable Docker and Settings > VM Manager > Enable VM

Set them both to No.  The rest of the settings will remain and your Dockers and VMs are untouched.

• Thanks 1

Greetings friends!

Since plugins will not update unless we're on 6.12.x (e.g. Community Apps), I was forced to upgrade unRAID to bleeding-edge which is not how I typically upgrade in general.

I am relieved to share that I successfully upgraded from 6.11.5 to 6.12.6.
The only issue so far is my Swag docker is not starting, it returns Execution 'server error' popup. There as also a pending Swag docker update I then completed successfully...
However, it still does not start with same above error.

UPDATE:
I had to go into Settings > Management Access and change the HTTPS port from 443 to 4434, even though 'use SSL/TLS' for webGUI was ahready set to 'NO'.
When I applied the change, it still tried to redirect me to the webGUI on 4434 w/TLS for some odd reason...
I had to force my browser to use HTTP/non-TLS to get back to webGUI.

Swag docker starts fine now.

Edited by guruleenyc
On 12/7/2023 at 1:19 AM, mrhanderson said:

Also attaching diagnostics in case it helps debug the issue

diagnostics-20231206-2246.zip 105.54 kB · 2 downloads

Going to third this type of failure with a W680 board (ASUS Pro WS W680M-ACE SE) and Intel 13th Gen (i5-13500t). Unfortunately, I didn't capture a diagnostics package. Hopefully it can be resolved from your case here.

The same inability to clean reboot/shutdown (hang at the end). The hard restarts didn't kick off Parity Checks. Only the Intel iGPU onboard (no extra GPU). Not new to Unraid, but my system was recently migrated to this new HW from a very stable 4th Gen intel system. Rolled back to version 6.12.4 and all is happy again. First ever issue with an update.

On 12/6/2023 at 5:14 AM, FoxxMD said:

did you take any precautions/upgrade prep other than backing up your flash drive? I need to upgrade from 6.11.5 as well.

Aside from what the others have suggested, I only make sure I have the flash backup on a separate PC just incase I need it. Follow any of the release notes instructions. I generally ensure all my plugins and dockers are up to date and go for it. Afterwards, I go through the system log and make sure there are not any new or weird errors. That's pretty much it for me, but hope that is helpful to you.

Upgraded from 6.11.5 to 6.12.6 - smooth upgrade and I also managed to import both of my ZFS Pools (one with a 3-way mirrored special vdev) too.  Great work from all the Team at Lime Technology.

Eagerly awaiting version 6.13 for enhanced ZFS support and hopefully multi-Array support!

On 12/3/2023 at 6:28 PM, MPC561 said:

Asrock N100DC-ITX.

Realtek 8111H Network

No deep C-Pkg States more possible, I stuck at C3. Reached with 6.12.4 as Pkg-State C8. With 6.12.5 and .6 I see that ASPM is disabled:

1000669460_Bildschirmfoto2023-11-29um16_28_12.thumb.png.e9c4279039a1cd2b6c9bd5def34acaa0.png

Installation of the RTL8xxx App Package is useless. Also with them only C3 can reached (although ASPM is shown as active, but the Github Pages states, that ASPM is not active with this driver package). Power consumption increased by more than 25%.

Needed to revert to 6.12.4.

Hope for a fix.

With kind regards,

Joerg

I support this statement. It's a pitty that N100DC-ITX increase its idle power by 25%, because from my point of view, this board is the best or one of the best prize-powerConsumption-transcodingCapabilities performance solutions.  In addition , there is no fan or noise with SSDs. 

Taking all this into account, could this be fixed? @unraid

• Upvote 1

@vmasip

The problem is not only with this board. It hits nearly every board with Realtek Network Chip (8111, 8168, 8125, 8152). So the problem is much bigger than an N100 Board.

I know already the argumentation will be: It´s the Kernel. We are not developing the kernel. But I paid my license from Limetech after this special board was tested by me and running. Now the state is worse as it consumes more power. 

It´s like I would by an iPhone with a new linux based OS and with a big bug and Apple would send me to the Linux Kernel developer that me demands they fix it instead of doing it itself with them...

5 hours ago, vmasip said:

I support this statement. It's a pitty that N100DC-ITX increase its idle power by 25%, because from my point of view, this board is the best or one of the best prize-powerConsumption-transcodingCapabilities performance solutions.  In addition , there is no fan or noise with SSDs. 

Taking all this into account, could this be fixed? @unraid

Going to ask a stupid question but what is the actual power difference between 6.12.4 and 6.12.6 where this kernel bug is?

I ask from the standpoint of one who has never really cared about the power consumption of my server(s).  Don't get me wrong I do not go out and look for quad socket xeon motherboards to run unRAID on, but power consumption has never been at the top of my list when building any of my 3 home servers.

5 hours ago, MPC561 said:

@vmasip

The problem is not only with this board. It hits nearly every board with Realtek Network Chip (8111, 8168, 8125, 8152). So the problem is much bigger than an N100 Board.

I know already the argumentation will be: It´s the Kernel. We are not developing the kernel. But I paid my license from Limetech after this special board was tested by me and running. Now the state is worse as it consumes more power. 

It´s like I would by an iPhone with a new linux based OS and with a big bug and Apple would send me to the Linux Kernel developer that me demands they fix it instead of doing it itself with them...

Your Apple analogy is flawed becuase Apple DOES control the entire chain and do not rely on open source piece for its things.

A better analogy would be your web browser gets an update and stops working on your laptop so you call Dell to fix it cause they sold you the machine.

The Kernel is more complex then your web browser but at the end of the day... hopefully you get my point.  I am sure that this bug has hit more than just the unRAID community and the Kernel devs will be looking at it.  I am also pretty sure Limetech are not Kernel devs so this issue is not within there wheelhouse.