[Plugin] Docker Patch 6.12.8

Hello, 

Appreciate this post/patch. After every OS update I run through my logs on both servers, Saw this earmarked in the log:

root: Fix Common Problems: Warning: Docker Patch Not Installed

Which led me here to investigate further.

Thank you devs, members, and everyone involved in the UnRaid community!

Edited by bombz

No.  This only changes how docker handles empty paths.   If you're seeing "Not Available" then it effectively means that the system can't hit docker hub (or GHCR) to see if there's an update available due to network issues, VPN, etc etc

4 hours ago, Squid said:

No.  This only changes how docker handles empty paths.   If you're seeing "Not Available" then it effectively means that the system can't hit docker hub (or GHCR) to see if there's an update available due to network issues, VPN, etc etc

thanks for point out possible issues, seems is some port issue on VPN, some docker are loading/checking updates and others dont

On 2/18/2024 at 6:23 AM, itimpi said:

I would not bother unless you have problems with docker containers which are incorrectly configured and exhibit the symptoms this plugin helps hide.

I'm confused. Is this hiding a problem? Or is it fixing/correcting a problem?

1 minute ago, ElectroBlvd said:

I'm confused. Is this hiding a problem? Or is it fixing/correcting a problem?

It is hiding errors in the docker templates.  If you have templates with the errors containers would stop starting correctly after the Unraid update.  These errors used to be ignored so it is re-instating that behaviour.

1 minute ago, itimpi said:

It is hiding errors in the docker templates.  If you have templates with the errors containers would stop starting correctly after the Unraid update.  These errors used to be ignored so it is re-instating that behaviour.

Why would you want to hide errors instead of fixing them?

1 minute ago, ElectroBlvd said:

There were some examples given earlier in this thread where it was ‘convenient’ to have entries in a template of the type that could trigger an error at run time.

I agree fixing the templates is a tidier solution, but as there appear to be lots of frequently used containers whose default templates could trigger this error then the old behaviour was made available as a stop-gap to cut down on the number of people (incorrectly) reporting docker as broken after updating Unraid.   There is nothing stopping you from NOT installing the plugin and fixing the templates for any containers you use that then fail.

13 minutes ago, ElectroBlvd said:

Because it's a very common error that users made in the past.  And the result of that error is that everything would have been working perfectly forever, but under 6.12.8 simply updating the container that had the error the user made in the template would result in the container disappearing altogether (not simply stopping / or refusing to start)

Far easier to simply have the patch (and all future versions of the OS) to "correct" the template error automatically so that effectively the operation of 6.12.8 and pre 6.12.8 are identical.

This process is identical to the philosophy that the entire management of the App ecosystem on Unraid has.   Certain errors that are commonly made by the maintainers of the templates themselves are automatically corrected (and flagged) so that the end-user has the least amount of problems.  The alternative of not correcting what this patch is doing (and the aforementioned template errors by maintainers) would result in a support nightmare.

15 minutes ago, Squid said:

Because it's a very common error that users made in the past.  And the result of that error is that everything would have been working perfectly forever, but under 6.12.8 simply updating the container that had the error the user made in the template would result in the container disappearing altogether (not simply stopping / or refusing to start)

Far easier to simply have the patch (and all future versions of the OS) to "correct" the template error automatically so that effectively the operation of 6.12.8 and pre 6.12.8 are identical.

This process is identical to the philosophy that the entire management of the App ecosystem on Unraid has.   Certain errors that are commonly made by the maintainers of the templates themselves are automatically corrected (and flagged) so that the end-user has the least amount of problems.  The alternative of not correcting what this patch is doing (and the aforementioned template errors by maintainers) would result in a support nightmare.

Ok, so this patch IS correcting a problem and not just hiding a problem....? The other person is saying its just hiding it while you're saying its correcting it. 

Depends upon your point of view and boils down to semantics.

The patch doesn't fix any bug or anything like that.   It's restoring the behaviour that everyone is used to.  It "corrects" how the user set up their template to ignore what docker now calls an error (fatal), by skipping over the offending path.   On the other POV, it's hiding the template error by skipping over the offending path.

As @itimpi states, if you don't want this plugin, then don't install it.   But, every future release of the OS has this patch included anyways, so it's basically irrelevant anyways.

6 hours ago, Squid said:

Depends upon your point of view and boils down to semantics.

The patch doesn't fix any bug or anything like that.   It's restoring the behaviour that everyone is used to.  It "corrects" how the user set up their template to ignore what docker now calls an error (fatal), by skipping over the offending path.   On the other POV, it's hiding the template error by skipping over the offending path.

As @itimpi states, if you don't want this plugin, then don't install it.   But, every future release of the OS has this patch included anyways, so it's basically irrelevant anyways.

I see I see. Thanks for explaining that. Makes sense now.

On 2/21/2024 at 7:58 AM, ich777 said:

In my oppinion it‘s up to the maintainer to mark a path as required in the template which is empty to force the user to either specify a path or remove the path from the template.

The same applies to devices that may be empty in the template, they should be also be marked by the maintainer from the template as required so that the user is, again, forced to fill it out or remove the device entry.

I do agree with that.  It's that sometimes the maintainer doesn't factor that in, so it's helpful to have something like this already in the OS. Helpful for the end user, at least.

On 2/21/2024 at 7:52 AM, itimpi said:

Personally I disagree with that as I am not happy with anything that hides genuine errors when they can easily be fixed.

I didn't think of it from that perspective, I do agree with that.  What I meant was that this patch should be a native part of the OS instead of a third party patch, so there is no error at all.

Just now, user-115 said:

What I meant was that this patch should be a native part of the OS instead of a third party patch, so there is no error at all.

As mentioned that's how it will be in future releases, but in the meantime it's a patch that can be deployed straight away instead of having to wait for a full OS update.

There seems to be some confusion etc as to what this plugin is actually doing.  As I've said, it's not fixing a bug with the OS.  Nor is it patching docker itself (and undoing the security updates which they did).  In pseudo code, pre 6.12.8 Unraid handled installs and updates to containers like this

1.  Loop through all of the paths listed in the user's template
2.  Add the appropriate flags / path  to the docker run command
3.  End loop

Because of how many users set up their templates, the above would generate an error if the host path (or container path) was empty on 6.12.8. The revised code is this:

2.  If either the host path or container path is empty, then skip this path
3.  Add the appropriate flags / path to the docker run command
4.  End loop

Actual code snip I'm adding in (and is included in future revs of the OS) is the second and third line of the following:

if ($confType == "path") {
      if ( ! trim($hostConfig) || ! trim($containerConfig) )
        continue;
      $Volumes[] = escapeshellarg($hostConfig).':'.escapeshellarg($containerConfig).':'.escapeshellarg($Mode);

This plugin has to remain installed while you're on 6.12.8. Installing it and uninstalling it (with a reboot) will undo the changes it's adding in.

Once you upgrade the OS to a later version, the plugin will automatically uninstall itself - IE: there's no need to uninstall it when you upgrade - the system won't even give you the option since it won't even get installed during boot of the next releases of the OS.

3 hours ago, Squid said:

There seems to be some confusion etc as to what this plugin is actually doing.  As I've said, it's not fixing a bug with the OS.  Nor is it patching docker itself (and undoing the security updates which they did).  In pseudo code, pre 6.12.8 Unraid handled installs and updates to containers like this

2.  Add the appropriate flags / path  to the docker run command
3.  End loop

Because of how many users set up their templates, the above would generate an error if the host path (or container path) was empty on 6.12.8. The revised code is this:

2.  If either the host path or container path is empty, then skip this path
3.  Add the appropriate flags / path to the docker run command
4.  End loop

Actual code snip I'm adding in (and is included in future revs of the OS) is the second and third line of the following:

if ($confType == "path") {
      if ( ! trim($hostConfig) || ! trim($containerConfig) )
        continue;
      $Volumes[] = escapeshellarg($hostConfig).':'.escapeshellarg($containerConfig).':'.escapeshellarg($Mode);

This plugin has to remain installed while you're on 6.12.8. Installing it and uninstalling it (with a reboot) will undo the changes it's adding in.

Once you upgrade the OS to a later version, the plugin will automatically uninstall itself - IE: there's no need to uninstall it when you upgrade - the system won't even give you the option since it won't even get installed during boot of the next releases of the OS.

Just to clarify - are you saying that your fix has been incorporated by the Unraid team in future OS updates after 6.12.8 but no current updates (6.12.9 presumably) are out yet so we must use this plugin if we are on latest stable (6.12.8)?

• trurl pinned this topic
  • 2 weeks later...
On 3/20/2024 at 8:02 PM, Squid said:

Thanks for this info. Confirmed on (1X) of my instances that the plugin has removed/uninstalled itself from the plugin lists. I will confirm when I have maintenance time to update the OS

Thank you devs and community 

• 2 weeks later...