Announcing New Unraid OS License Keys

1 hour ago, limetech said:

The current 28-device limitation applies to the unRAID array. You can have any number of btrfs/zfs pools with other devices.  An upcoming version will let you have multiple unRAID arrays though we don't plan on increasing the width of a single unRAID array.  With your Pro key you'll get this update for free 🙂

Does this mean you could have multiple 28+2 unRAID arrays under the same license/installation? Or would it still be the same maximum device limitation for all unRAID arrays combined within the single system?

The pricing change has long been overdue. I support this measure to sustain and grow the company because I selfishly want this product to be improved, I want it to be around in several years time. Buying a license and expecting support/updates for life was/is not sustainable.

1Password you used to be able to buy major version upgrades but now they're all in on the monthly/annual payments model. Sublime Text and RoyalTS still do version upgrades which I prefer. You can't earmark or advertise a salary to a 'what if they hold off on upgrading' like you can to an annual subscription so I get it.

If you're still looking for feedback I would suggest to consider giving users the option to early upgrade or swap out their existing keys? Came here after listening to the podcast. Looking forward to a newer kernel so that QNAP-EC plugin will work with Intel Arc GPU.

SIDENOTE: Tom's a trekkie everybody! Hopefully next time he does a podcast we'll learn his favourite series.

• Like 2
1 hour ago, limetech said:

A small point: it's not a subscription fee in this sense: with a subscription if you don't renew then the service ends.  By contrast if you do not extend your Starter or Unleashed key your server still runs as before and you still have complete access to your data, etc.

Thanks I'm on Pro currently so fine on this server and will take advantage of the started for a 2nd server build.

As a side note I'd happily pay a one off £20 - £50 for a GUI update on Pro..

Edited by dopeytree

I think this is a long overdue change! chasing more and more new users is just not sustainable in the long run!

All current users being grandfathered in is great but as a user of a Pro licence for the last 6 years I would recommend looking at the model of Nabucasa (home assistant) and developing additional services for unRAID that do require a subscription for legacy users!

I love Unraid and hope to use it for many more years, the company behind it being healthy is crucial to make that happen.

• Like 2

My 2 cents on this is I think it is fair and understandable. You are fulfilling to your existing customers what you sold them and the need for more cash inflow so you can hire more people to maintain and upgrade the product line will only make the software better. As stated, this effects none of us long time backers. It is rare these days that a software company goes out of their way to make sure that their existing users base is not effected by changes like this.

To anyone that does not like this the answer is simple, buy your key NOW and as stated none of this will apply to you. 

After watching the podcast, I am okay with the changes they are making, because instead of trying to grab more and more users for an operating system ( or a better term would be a hypervisor) that has a huge learning curve, which most people don't have the time for. They rather invest in current users they have today with us supporting them.

My issue, is while help on the forums is great, I still have unresolved issues with my server. ( I can't get the native wireguard to see docker containers that use custom networks, I have to use the wireguard docker for that)  will we get even better support with this new pricing change? Mentioned in the video? And how would that look?

I'm okay with the pricing change, if the support improves. Because as a total Linux noob, I have had every issue under the sun trying to get things to work. ( Usually do to user error) and my only option was too pay more money for help. ( The one on one user help) but there are still some things such as native wireguard app, that I just can't figure out.

15 minutes ago, PlayLoud said:

Does this mean you could have multiple 28+2 unRAID arrays under the same license/installation? Or would it still be the same maximum device limitation for all unRAID arrays combined within the single system?

To me this sounds like we can have unlimited amount (okay maybe not unlimited but a large amount) of unRAID arrays. I'm thinking like hooking up a JBOD to a system and dishing out drives to different arrays. Pretty exciting news to be honest. 

A significant portion of the value of unraid comes from the awesome collection of plugins and dockers created by the community.  In the long term, it will be almost impossible for those creators to support older versions of unraid.  In fact CA itself will no longer support the very stable 6.11.5. So most people actively using unraid will be forced to keep upgrading.

• Upvote 3

I do understand that to continue offering new features and functionality, the company needs subscription revenue and it’s just the way of the world these days. Once Unraid hits a saturation point, not having subscription means either these folks are working for free or it dies.

But I’d like to acknowledge the team also for bringing existing customers along and not forcing a subscription on us, it’s much appreciated.

I’d say this is a pretty fair and equitable approach! Thank you!

• Like 1
11 minutes ago, aim60 said:

In fact CA itself will no longer support the very stable 6.11.5

This has nothing to do with anything.  As a matter of point, the installation URL for CA to run on 6.11.x is publicly posted in the CA thread (and is also a recommended post), and all of the downloaded data files remain fully compatible with that version.  No further updates to CA running on 6.11.5 which is pretty much the same as no further updates to 6.11.5 will happen since 6.12.0 was released.

There came a time when a major overhaul of CA dictated the either I spend forever debugging all of the necessary compatibility for an OS version which had already been supplanted.  I chose to drop compatibility going forward, but make damn sure that all 6.11 users weren't out of luck.  Similar thing happened when I've previously dropped compatibility for everything pre 6.1, everything pre 6.5, everything pre 6.9 on various releases of CA.  If I had to maintain compatibility today with 6.0.0 then trust me CA would not be anything like what you're seeing on 6.11.x

I don't drop compatibility for no reason.  It only gets dropped when the gain isn't worth the pain

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

Honestly, this is the best possible outcome for Unraid users and Unraid as a business in my book.

Existing customers will keep the licenses in perpetuity, Unraid will get continual income from lew licenses if and when new users re-up. 

The customers with perpetual licenses will be the ones who are the most vocal and evangelise about Unraid - I've had 2 friends get licenses since I set my server up, all because they liked how easy it was to manage. But it's understood that the company needs to make money, so a new model was needed. 

Honestly, given the alternative scenarios, this was the best option for all parties, so thank you for not alienating the base that will help you grow.

• Upvote 1

I just wanna say thank you.  I have been using Unraid since the 3.xx or 4.xx days and you guys have been great with everything.  I have two pro Licenses and only use 1.  Don't worry about what some of these little babies are saying about hiding code or not announcing it, people like Homer Simpson can't read.  UnRaid has been rock solid from the beginning.   

THANK YOU

Edited by squirrellydw

I just bought a second Pro license that I may never use, just to have so I can have a second server if I need it and also to say thank you to the team as I bought an initial Plus license in 2016 and only recently upgraded it to Pro last year. I've gotten a lot of use out of Unraid and this license has lasted me four builds so even if I never activate this second one at least I can support Limetech given that I won't be a new subscriber.

Edited by mackid1993
  • Thanks 1

Just upgraded one of my Plus licenses to Pro.  Still had three devices to go and no room in current chassis to put them but, it is for a server that backs up my Main Unraid server which has a Pro license.  I upgraded for the following reasons:

• best to keep the two licenses in sync
  • wanted to support Limetech's future needs/plans if even in a small way (paid for less than one hour of a dev's time)
  • did not want to worry about the future of the Plus license (still have one) as it has been stated Pro will continue

LImetech is worth supporting even if I don't think I will ever need one of the new subscription licenses.

• Thanks 1
55 minutes ago, Trunkton said:

SIDENOTE: Tom's a trekkie everybody! Hopefully next time he does a podcast we'll learn his favourite series.

That'll make all of the drama over licensing feel like nothing 🤣

(Disclaimer: I've been binge watching Voyager lately. 🤓)

• Like 1

One question I haven't seen addressed yet, is when are these pricing changes going to take effect? Just curious.

Snagged a second license now for further expansion too :). Currently running single legged as a just a fun host box. But in the future might stand up a second especially now that my VMWare Box will probably stay as is, R610 anyway until it dies.

Edited by Milhouz

So you've moved to a subscription model and are just telling everyone else Trust Us™️ who owns a now "legacy" key?

This is a switch on the people who have purchased your software, which inherently leads to distrust and how can I trust going forward you'll honor your claims?

Switching to a subscription model in any way shape or form leads to a loss in customer. I've been having people build unRAID arrays on suggestion for years, but I'll be moving away due to this announcement and will suggest others do the same.

Such a shame, unRAID is an easy tool but it's nowhere near the only game in town.

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1
  • Upvote 2
12 minutes ago, matt4542 said:

This is a switch on the people who have purchased your software, which inherently leads to distrust and how can I trust going forward you'll honor your claims?

This isn't a switch on people that have purchased the software, in reality it's the exact opposite.

When we all purchased Unraid, Limetech made the claim that we would get lifetime updates. They are honoring that claim.

The only difference now is that some licenses will be sold that don't include an offer of lifetime updates.

• Upvote 3