What media player do you use?

HiSoC8Y

I think they can be counted as xbmc by the user but should remain separate, its nice to see which bundle is most popular.

I was surprised to see I'm the only person that has voted for mediabrowser, and as I use xbmc as well I chose to vote for MB as its currently what is used in the main viewing area. This is subject to change in the near future though. Now that the house is empty I'm going to finish setting up openelec.

I just checked into mediabrowser, and probably the issue is the Windows 7 requirement.  While I use Win7 for my XMBC install, I chose it because I want netflix support and bit-streaming audio out, many people without such requirements probably can't justify the OS price when they're really just relying on network connectivity, driver support, and the media software/interface. 

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have a few WDTVs - for the most part they play everything, but have a poor slow interface and no way to "mark as watched" - unless you get the WDLXTV firmware, but only works on older WDTVs.

I am interested in the HTPC build with Openelec that PeterB has been talking about.

I have a few questions...

Could you let me know which parts you used? - (the ASUS E45M1 looks like a nice MB)

What kind of case?

Did you use a USB stick or a small SSD? Maybe a small HD?

Can you recommend a PSU and Case that is quiet?

Can you tell me more about your remote solution?

Ram?

Thank you.

I have a few WDTVs - for the most part they play everything, but have a poor slow interface and no way to "mark as watched" - unless you get the WDLXTV firmware, but only works on older WDTVs.

I am interested in the HTPC build with Openelec that PeterB has been talking about.

I have a few questions...

Could you let me know which parts you used? - (the ASUS E45M1 looks like a nice MB)

What kind of case?

Did you use a USB stick or a small SSD? Maybe a small HD?

Can you recommend a PSU and Case that is quiet?

Can you tell me more about your remote solution?

Ram?

Thank you.

Im planning a openelec build too, look here for hardware specs

http://forum.xbmc.org/forumdisplay.php?fid=112

Okay, my E450 board arrived yesterday lunchtime - a couple of hours later I had it up and running OpenELEC, connected to my main Sony Bravia.  All is well, but I'm controlling it with keyboard and mouse at the moment - awaiting delivery of my Pulse8 cec-usb interface.

I'm really happy with OpenELEC - a great improvement over the PCH ... I wonder how long it will be before I build another OpenELEC system for downstairs.

I've voted OpenELEC - it won't allow me to register votes for two different players.

It's interesting to note that almost 50% of responses are for xbmc/OpenELEC.

Well im considering selling my dune base 3.0 and get an xbmc machine too, maybe openelec , not sure, what are the benefits?

Do you play games on it as well?

Whats the pulse 8 thing?

@Joe L, when you have 3 machines, where is al your xbmc data then? on all 3 machines? or centralised? on unraid?

I have a Dune Base 3.0 too. So far I am pretty pleased with it. It plays all I throw at it. So I also wonder what the benefits are?

My most used media player is XBMC (which I voted for).

I also use VLC (VideoLAN) from time to time. Mainly for things not in my library or to test if something is good enough quality for my library.

Recently purchased a Raspberry Pi. I am putting OpenElec on it.

Okay, my E450 board arrived yesterday lunchtime - a couple of hours later I had it up and running OpenELEC, connected to my main Sony Bravia.  All is well, but I'm controlling it with keyboard and mouse at the moment - awaiting delivery of my Pulse8 cec-usb interface.

I'm really happy with OpenELEC - a great improvement over the PCH ... I wonder how long it will be before I build another OpenELEC system for downstairs.

I've voted OpenELEC - it won't allow me to register votes for two different players.

Well im considering selling my dune base 3.0 and get an xbmc machine too, maybe openelec , not sure, what are the benefits?

Whats the pulse 8 thing?

@Joe L, when you have 3 machines, where is al your xbmc data then? on all 3 machines? or centralised? on unraid?

I have a Dune Base 3.0 too. So far I am pretty pleased with it. It plays all I throw at it. So I also wonder what the benefits are?

Get ready dikkiedirk, here it comes:

benefits with xmbc:

* auto-scraping for music and movie and tv jukebox, no third parties (like yadis, dfi,...)necessary

* able to play music and complete jukebox without the  need of turning on tv

* able to use for ex, ipad for remote control music jukebox

* fluent browsing in a live jukebox environment

* working gigabit connection

* able to play games on it

* able to play 3d

* and much more :)

I'm using OpenELEC on a cute little Zotac HD-ND22. Works great! :) I have Plex Media Server running and use that to transcode movies to my Galaxy Tab (or laptop) when out on business trips (hotels are just boring and the company won't cover PayTV :P )

Whats the pulse 8 thing?

I have a Dune also and have had very good luck with it. I had the whole Battlestar Galactica series BluRay in ISO format and I started watching them. Plays full BluRay menus with no problem. It is a very good media player.

I use OpenELEC on miniitx ion boards with MySQL exclusively apart from on my windows pc's (laptop etc) where I use xbmc all using the Aeon Nox skin.

Most MKV's are re-encoded due to lack of upgradability space in the drobo-fs but these are slowly being replaced by untouched MKV's direct from the BD Discs now ive replaced the drobo with a 24 bay unraid server and so far now up to 7 data discs installed.

Whats the pulse 8 thing?

Get ready dikkiedirk, here it comes:

benefits with xmbc:

* auto-scraping for music and movie and tv jukebox, no third parties (like yadis, dfi,...)necessary

* able to play music and complete jukebox without the  need of turning on tv

* able to use for ex, ipad for remote control music jukebox

* fluent browsing in a live jukebox environment

* working gigabit connection

* able to play games on it

* able to play 3d

* and much more :)

These are benefits yes, but not important to me. Certainly no reason to move to Openelec/XBMC. And if Openelec isn't supporting HD-audio then I stay with my Dune for now.

Voted Plex which i use at the moment, but looking building an openelec box or maybe seeing how the whole xbmc for android pans out - being able to ditch Win7 would be great!

Does anyone have both a Dune/PCH/WD streamer and something with XBMC (or MediaBrowser/MediaPortal/etc)? Curious whether the picture quality/audio is better like someone suggested earlier in the thread.

For me, the streamers biggest downside was their interfaces, not being able to show whether movies, and more importantly tv episodes,

were watched made them pretty useless.

• 2 weeks later...
Lionel, have you recently had issues with mediabrowser not updating properly? No new shows or movies show up on EHS unless I completely exit out of media center and then go back in, manual refresh doesn't work.

I typically exit MediaCenter when not in use. But, I have seen updates occur without exiting when a new file was added.

It appears to be an off and on issue with me. Sometimes it updates fine, other times it refuses to update unless I exit all the way out. The HTPC is used only for viewing media so it stays on media center, but recently this started and it has become a pain!

Setting up OpenElec on my new Fusion mini-itx build, gonna see how this goes, :)

• 2 weeks later...

It appears to be an off and on issue with me. Sometimes it updates fine, other times it refuses to update unless I exit all the way out. The HTPC is used only for viewing media so it stays on media center, but recently this started and it has become a pain!

Setting up OpenElec on my new Fusion mini-itx build, gonna see how this goes, :)

How does it go?

It runs really smoothly, from a cold boot it takes maybe 45 seconds to boot up, and maybe another few minutes to fully update the library. Of course it is still usable while it refreshes.

HD playback is smooth, not even so much as a stutter. Sound over hdmi works as expected, overall I'm very pleased. Especially since I got it on sale for $100 total

$75 for the case and MB CPU combo, $25 for ram. Pretty good deal!

It runs really smoothly, from a cold boot it takes maybe 45 seconds to boot up, and maybe another few minutes to fully update the library. Of course it is still usable while it refreshes.

HD playback is smooth, not even so much as a stutter. Sound over hdmi works as expected, overall I'm very pleased. Especially since I got it on sale for $100 total

$75 for the case and MB CPU combo, $25 for ram. Pretty good deal!

Is this the fusion mini-itx? Are you running windows?? openelec on my old htpc booted up in a few seconds. Windows takes over a minute with an HDD. But I don't shut it down, just sleep which is almost instant on.

Archived