what is on your 10+ TB array?

kgregg

many unRAID enthusiasts have 10+ TB arrays.  I have a 9 TB array that still has about 6.5 TB free.  I have 300 movies (most unwatched), tv shows (most unwatched),  every digital pic I've taken since 1997, a whole bunch of MP3s and backups from laptops used by the family.  If you have 10+ TB of data on your array, what do you have exactly ? I need to download more (and find time to watch it)

My array is filled with the same things your are, but it's likely a combo of quality and quantity difference. Any TV show I grab is at 720p, and all my movies are at 1080p (with a few exceptions). When you are looking at 10-15GB for a move, and have 2000+ movies you can easy blow past the 10TB mark.

I have around 150 shows I manage through Sickbeard which is likely 4-5TB (a number of shows I have all seasons/episodes for), but by far the largest portion of the space is movies (2,500 movies at over 20TB of space).

Pictures and Music is on there too, but it's likely less than 0.5TB total.

Following unRAID servers:

1) 129 movies and several thousand Series episodes - OTA recordings = 17TB

2) 2600+ movies and 1000+ Series episodes all recorded in HD = 45TB

3) 1270+ movies and 500+ Series episodes recorded in HD and 400+ movies  and 1000+ Series recorded in SD = 17TB

4) 1000+ movies and 3000+ Series episodes recorded in SD = 22TB

5) 42,791 backups = 4TB, 253,927 files all downloaded files since ~1995 = 537GB unRAID dir 4.37GB (unRAID zips and exploded content and other related files)

6*) 8TB BluRays, 1.24TB DVDs, 2TB re-encoded recordings (these are currently on #1 but will be here in a couple of weeks)

I have about half of my 12TB used. About 300 movies, some old favorites, some unwatched. About 20 TV series, mostly documentaries. Don't seem to have time for watching these days, too much interesting stuff on the internet.

My wife's photography, somewhere in the thousands of RAW images I'm sure. Our music collection, don't know the number of tracks off the top of my head, but must be something with 5 digits.

Audiobooks, ebooks, backups of PCs.

i will download a movie when i find one of interest.  i'm at about 300 movies now.  to build a 2000 movie collection seems almost impossible.  how long have you been building your movie/tv show collection?  i've been at it for only 9 months.  (are there really 2000 movies worth watching?)

... worth watching?)

Watching??  Oh !!  I guess that's what we're all supposed to do with these collections.    It's easy to get carried away with the process of collecting and never getting around to actually watching  8)

[i've got over 4,000 movies ... but won't comment on how many of them I've watched  :) ]

It's quality that makes the biggest impact. Put a couple hundred music flac and bluray remuxes and you'll easily hit 10TB.

My collection isn't vast, so I've pretty much watched/listened to all of it, but others are right...it can become addictive (especially if you have fast internet and automation)

Time machine backups can also mount up if you let them.

Ebooks on the other hand :D I should have collected those and save a packet on HDDs!

Current server is 28TB :-O

3) 1270+ movies and 500+ Series episodes recorded in HD and 400+ movies  and 1000+ Series recorded in SD = 17TB

5) 42,791 backups = 4TB, 253,927 files all downloaded files since ~1995 = 537GB unRAID dir 4.37GB (unRAID zips and exploded content and other related files)

6*) 8TB BluRays, 1.24TB DVDs, 2TB re-encoded recordings (these are currently on #1 but will be here in a couple of weeks)

Lol, that's mental....I think you need to see a doctor  :P

Lol, that's mental....I think you need to see a doctor  :P

Probably ;D

... worth watching?)

Watching??  Oh !!  I guess that's what we're all supposed to do with these collections.    It's easy to get carried away with the process of collecting and never getting around to actually watching  8)

[i've got over 4,000 movies ... but won't comment on how many of them I've watched  :) ]

My wife says I'm a hoarder :-P I like to call myself a collector

I took a different path, how many directories and files put on my NAS

Directories: find /mnt/user0 -type d | wc -l

Files: find /mnt/user0 -type f | wc -l

989,576 files in 60,700 directories

Sound about right ;D

root@AVFILES:~# find /mnt/user -type d | wc -l
root@AVFILES:~# find /mnt/user -type f | wc -l

Needless to say, cachedirs is pretty useless.  :D

It's a slightly different story limiting to my Movies & TV shares. I have a lot of backups on my NAS, several are directory backups and not in a library of sorts.

Including support media

Movies: 2813 files in 700 directories

TV: 2923 files in 71 directories

Since I limit CacheDirs for mainly these two directories, it's more reasonable to use.

• 2 months later...

19 Tb of HD TV shows.. And about 1500 movies. Fills up pretty quick when you switch from SD to HD.

How do you go about upgrading from SD files to HD? Do you get rid of the SD files?

Yes. There is no way to up-convert SD to HD.

I am going to guess the author meant he used to download SD versions, but now only gets HD version (not that he back-updated his SD library - though that is possible too by re-downloading each show in HD format).

My server is full of movies, tv shows and pictures of my family.

You all are right saying that collecting video becomes an addictive hobby. Me personally haven't had the time needed to watch more than one movie a week. But this doesn't mean that I don't get my hands on 10 newvideos a week. This means that we are just investing in the future when we get retired and will enjoy our media library :)

Currently my server hosts around 500 1080p movies, 120 full tv shows (720p) and 2tb digital pictures.

Every 4-5 months I need additional 3tb of space to feel I am on the safe side storage wise.

I am not good in Mathematics, but I don't know what will be better- to buy the hard copies of the movie/show or to store them digitally. Currently I broke the 2000 Eur threshold for the unraid hardware/upgrades and can imagine that I am rather on the lower level when it comes to the hardware investments compared to other folks around.

My server is full of movies, tv shows and pictures of my family.

You all are right saying that collecting video becomes an addictive hobby. Me personally haven't had the time needed to watch more than one movie a week. But this doesn't mean that I don't get my hands on 10 newvideos a week. This means that we are just investing in the future when we get retired and will enjoy our media library :)

Currently my server hosts around 500 1080p movies, 120 full tv shows (720p) and 2tb digital pictures.

Every 4-5 months I need additional 3tb of space to feel I am on the safe side storage wise.

I am not good in Mathematics, but I don't know what will be better- to buy the hard copies of the movie/show or to store them digitally. Currently I broke the 2000 Eur threshold for the unraid hardware/upgrades and can imagine that I am rather on the lower level when it comes to the hardware investments compared to other folks around.

It is absolutely not cheap to store all your movies (btw: I do the same..). Cheapest alternative would be to just use netflix, it is way cheaper in the long run and I actually think that come future that will be more and more mainstream.. I am 40+ and I just get a good feeling of in some way "owning" the stuff.. Mostly not necessary as there really is a lot of stuff on even youtube for free..

At the moment i have a 27TB array with 9TB free..

6TB in movies

9TB in series

And then some loose stuff...  I mostly try and collect old series and have fun watching them again.. I am just downloading "The powers of Matthew Star" and "Mr Merlin".. Old 80's style, I love that..

I also download WAY more then I watch.. Probably a ratio of 1 to 25.. Collecting is the fun part really..

... Probably a ratio of 1 to 25.. Collecting is the fun part really..

Definitely agree.    I have two servers full of content ... over 4,000 movies and about 20TB of TV series.  FAR more than we'll ever watch -- but when we DO want to watch something, there's no shortage of choices  :)

It does cost a bit to collect all that ... especially if you keep it all backed up (which I do).

I have to admit I do not backup my movies and series... personal photos and personal documents are placed on microsoft onedrive and dropbox, so those are as safe as I feel comfortable with..

I do not have all that other media backed up, that would mean I would effectively need another unraid server.. I do however start to have some series that really took some time finding and collecting... I might think of some way to backup those..

• 2 weeks later...

19 Tb of HD TV shows.. And about 1500 movies. Fills up pretty quick when you switch from SD to HD.

How do you go about upgrading from SD files to HD? Do you get rid of the SD files?

In the case of Movies using CouchPotato, under Settings -> Renamer: <thename> (<year>) <quality>.<ext> will allow you to have 720P and 480P saved in the same Movie Title directory. For more than a year I only grabbed SD quality, because I was trying to conserve disk space. More recently, I have gone back to get 720P movies now, which has dramatically increased my array size. I could imagine 1080P quality movies and TV shows would fill up an array quickly.

Getting rid of the SD files in my opinion only becomes necessary once your array is filled (which mine is not) although removing all *480P.* files in the Movies share wouldn't be too hard to execute recursively.

• 1 month later...

Limelight (movies): 26tb, 4tb free. Movies only. ~3400, all but maybe six are 720p or greater resolution.

Subdivisions (torrents and backup): 13.5tb, 1.85tb free. Torrent serving (~9tb), and backups of disk images from both desktops, photos, miscellaneous files like WRC, Loveline, Stern, etc.

Freewill (tv): 19tb, 2.5tb free. TV only. ~575 different series.

Together, my wife and I watch very little content actually. Maybe four hours per week. I watch quite a bit, but I don't have a job to go to. As a result, season after season of our favorite shows will accumulate and take up a lot of space (Battlestar Galactica episodes are 3.25gb each) waiting for us to get to it. For movies, I'm always looking to replace an older version of a movie with something newer, and that's usually a larger file size. We did watch America's Sweethearts tonight. Watched and deleted.

I started downloading movies in 2005, with aXXo .avi rips. I upgraded to HD in about 2008, and they were stored on DVD. One movie per disc. Ugh. Continued to collect and burn to DVD until I built my first server in 2011. I have no clue what the numbers were like back then, although all TV and movies fit on a single 26tb server. So, I've increased in total size about 50% in 43 months. Torrents and other backup was only stored on my desktop machine until Subdivisions was built.

My biggest concern is one day all the sources I have for content will simply disappear, or worse, my business internet account will no longer be unlimited bandwidth. Then we would have to make do with what we already have on the servers, or switch to physical media.