unRAID Server Release 6.0-beta15-x86_64 Available

• Replies 506
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

root@unRAID:~# nproc

:D

Thanks for confirming that for me.  Can you try this command?

php -r '$lv = libvirt_connect("qemu:///system", false); print_r(libvirt_node_get_info($lv));'

Copy/paste the results from that command back here for me/Eric to review.

In addition, can you create a VM using the webGui, then after you're done, use the XML editor mode to manually specify additional CPU cores / pinning settings?  I want to make sure that if you try to allocate / pin a CPU beyond 8 to a VM that libvirt won't spit it back at you.  Here's what to change from the XML.

First, adjust these two tags of XML:

<vcpu placement='static'>2</vcpu>
  <cputune>
    <vcpupin vcpu='0' cpuset='0'/>
    <vcpupin vcpu='1' cpuset='1'/>
  </cputune>

Change the number of vcpus in the first tag to something like 10 or 12, next, modify the <cputune> section and add additional <vcpupin> tags for the additional vcpus.  When done, it should look like this:

<vcpu placement='static'>10</vcpu>
  <cputune>
    <vcpupin vcpu='2' cpuset='2'/>
    <vcpupin vcpu='3' cpuset='3'/>
    <vcpupin vcpu='4' cpuset='4'/>
    <vcpupin vcpu='5' cpuset='5'/>
    <vcpupin vcpu='6' cpuset='6'/>
    <vcpupin vcpu='7' cpuset='7'/>
    <vcpupin vcpu='8' cpuset='8'/>
    <vcpupin vcpu='9' cpuset='9'/>
  </cputune>

Lastly, fine this section:

<cpu mode='host-passthrough'>
    <topology sockets='1' cores='2' threads='1'/>
  </cpu>

Change the cores to 10.

Let me know if you're able to start your VM after that.

php -r '$lv = libvirt_connect("qemu:///system", false); print_r(libvirt_node_get_info($lv));'

In addition, can you create a VM using the webGui, then after you're done, use the XML editor mode to manually specify additional CPU cores / pinning settings?  I want to make sure that if you try to allocate / pin a CPU beyond 8 to a VM that libvirt won't spit it back at you.  Here's what to change from the XML.

<cputune>
  </cputune>

Change the number of vcpus in the first tag to something like 10 or 12, next, modify the <cputune> section and add additional <vcpupin> tags for the additional vcpus.  When done, it should look like this:

<cputune>
  </cputune>

</cpu>

Change the cores to 10.

Here is the output...

root@unRAID:~# php -r '$lv = libvirt_connect("qemu:///system", false); print_r(libvirt_node_get_info($lv));'
Array
(
    [model] => x86_64
    [memory] => 49522856
    [cpus] => 16
    [nodes] => 2
    [sockets] => 1
    [cores] => 4
    [threads] => 2
    [mhz] => 1600
)

I created a new VM but when I went into the XML editor, I see this warning at the top:

Warning: libvirt_domain_get_name() expects parameter 1 to be resource, string given in /usr/local/emhttp/plugins/dynamix.vm.manager/classes/libvirt.php on line 1343 Warning: libvirt_domain_get_name(): Invalid arguments in /usr/local/emhttp/plugins/dynamix.vm.manager/classes/libvirt.php on line 1343 Warning: array_key_exists(): The first argument should be either a string or an integer in /usr/local/emhttp/plugins/dynamix.vm.manager/classes/libvirt.php on line 1381

I am having some trouble booting the installer for Windows 8 

I am able to switch to FS0 by typing fs0:

However, at the FS0:\ prompt, I receive the following error message when entering "cd efi/boot"

cd: Directory not found - 'FS0:\efi\boot'

I have validated that my win8 iso does in fact have this directory structure, containing the bootx64.efi file.

I appreciate the assistance

<cputune>
  </cputune>

<cputune>
  </cputune>

</cpu>

Change the cores to 10.

Here is the output...

root@unRAID:~# php -r '$lv = libvirt_connect("qemu:///system", false); print_r(libvirt_node_get_info($lv));'
Array
(
    [model] => x86_64
    [memory] => 49522856
    [cpus] => 16
    [nodes] => 2
    [sockets] => 1
    [cores] => 4
    [threads] => 2
    [mhz] => 1600
)

I created a new VM but when I went into the XML editor, I see this warning at the top:

Warning: libvirt_domain_get_name() expects parameter 1 to be resource, string given in /usr/local/emhttp/plugins/dynamix.vm.manager/classes/libvirt.php on line 1343 Warning: libvirt_domain_get_name(): Invalid arguments in /usr/local/emhttp/plugins/dynamix.vm.manager/classes/libvirt.php on line 1343 Warning: array_key_exists(): The first argument should be either a string or an integer in /usr/local/emhttp/plugins/dynamix.vm.manager/classes/libvirt.php on line 1381

Thank you for doing all that.  I can confirm that the display of only 8 CPUs is a bug and we will be fixing.  The second issue you had when creating the VM is also a bug that has already been fixed by dmacias and will be merged into the next release.

Parity check finished. I did reboot the system and now the flash drive looks OK - read and write - but parity check started again. 

Installed the latest version and everything seems to work OK - did uninstall the VM manager before the required reboot.

The only one thing I cannot figure out is how to pass a graphics card for a Win10 VM.

I used both SeaBIOS and OVMF w/ and w/o  "ACS overrides" but I cannot get anything out of my GeForce 210 PCIE card. The card has VGA, HDI and DVI outputs - is rather old and maybe here lies the issue.

The mouse and keyboard attached to the system do pass trough it's just the graphics card that doesn't seem to cooperate.

Before I go about and get a new card I need to make sure that I did try all the options.

Thanks.

Edit:

Did try again with the configuration shown in the picture attached and the system did reboot :(

Now the flash drive seems to be read only, will check the drive after ~ 8 hours when the parity check finishes.

However, at the FS0:\ prompt, I receive the following error message when entering "cd efi/boot"

I have validated that my win8 iso does in fact have this directory structure, containing the bootx64.efi file.

After you get to the UEFI shell and are in the FS0:\ prompt, type ls to get the directory structure on the device.  Then type cd FOLDERNAME and again to get into the next subfolder.

When I type ls, I get the following:

ls: File Not Found - 'FS0:\'

After you get to the UEFI shell and are in the FS0:\ prompt, type ls to get the directory structure on the device.  Then type cd FOLDERNAME and again to get into the next subfolder.

man, maybe old age is getting to me.  Try "dir" like the old MS-DOS way.

Possible bug. Classification - Minor

Created a cache disk to play with docker. Disk Settings default FS is set to XFS. assigned the cache drive and the FS was listed as AUTO, which to me means that it will use the default in the disk settings.

It formatted as BTRFS.

I was able to change it easily to XFS though.

Created a cache disk to play with docker. Disk Settings default FS is set to XFS. assigned the cache drive and the FS was listed as AUTO, which to me means that it will use the default in the disk settings.

It formatted as BTRFS.

How many cache slots did you have set when you did this?  Stop your array and just look at the number of slots under cache.

Any suggestions on the graphics card? Ahould I just try a new card, if yes can somebody recommend a graphic card that would work with my system?

Parity check finished. I did reboot the system and now the flash drive looks OK - read and write - but parity check started again. 

Installed the latest version and everything seems to work OK - did uninstall the VM manager before the required reboot.

The only one thing I cannot figure out is how to pass a graphics card for a Win10 VM.

I used both SeaBIOS and OVMF w/ and w/o  "ACS overrides" but I cannot get anything out of my GeForce 210 PCIE card. The card has VGA, HDI and DVI outputs - is rather old and maybe here lies the issue.

The mouse and keyboard attached to the system do pass trough it's just the graphics card that doesn't seem to cooperate.

Before I go about and get a new card I need to make sure that I did try all the options.

Thanks.

Edit:

Did try again with the configuration shown in the picture attached and the system did reboot :(

Now the flash drive seems to be read only, will check the drive after ~ 8 hours when the parity check finishes.

Any suggestions on the graphics card? Ahould I just try a new card, if yes can somebody recommend a graphic card that would work with my system?

Thanks.

Edit:

For the best GPU pass through experience, we are currently recommending NVIDIA based GTX cards and an OVMF-based VM.  I have successfully tested an EVGA GTX 650 Ti as well as a Gigabyte GTX 780 and both have worked flawlessly with unRAID 6.  Newer cards should work as well, although another forum member here is having some challenges with a particular card.

Am I supposed to have to do anything for the new VM manager to see my existing KVM VM's?  I just get an empty VM's tab.

I read through this tread and didn't see where I should have to recreate them here.  Did something go wrong?  I removed the libvirt/kvm plugin's then used the webgui to update from b14 to b15

Am I supposed to have to do anything for the new VM manager to see my existing KVM VM's?  I just get an empty VM's tab.

I read through this tread and didn't see where I should have to recreate them here.  Did something go wrong?  I removed the libvirt/kvm plugin's then used the webgui to update from b14 to b15

Go to the settings tab.  Click VM Manager.  Turn "enable" to yes if not already set, then click apply.  If already set, try setting to "no", then apply, then yes, then apply.  See if this resolves your issue (this is essentially restarting libvirt if not already started).

Also, did you clear your browser cache?

Go to the settings tab.  Click VM Manager.  Turn "enable" to yes if not already set, then click apply.  If already set, try setting to "no", then apply, then yes, then apply.  See if this resolves your issue (this is essentially restarting libvirt if not already started).

No Joy.

Edit 1

I do not see my .xml's in /etc/libvirt

root@NAS1:/etc/libvirt# ls -ltr

total 42

drwxr-xr-x 3 root root  1024 Sep 27  2014 storage/

drwxr-xr-x 3 root root  1024 Sep 27  2014 qemu/

drwxr-xr-x 2 root root  1024 Sep 27  2014 nwfilter/

-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 13800 Sep 27  2014 libvirtd.conf

-rw-r--r-- 1 root root  518 Sep 27  2014 libvirt.conf

-rw-r--r-- 1 root root  2134 Sep 27  2014 virtlockd.conf

-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 18355 Sep 27  2014 qemu.conf

-rw-r--r-- 1 root root  2169 Sep 27  2014 qemu-lockd.conf

Did I just miss some step?  Should they be there?  I have backup's should I put them there under qemu?

Edit 2:

I copied my .xml's for the domain's and the lan (had a vlan.xml moved it into networks)  restarted and my vm's show up now. Started my windows 7 and it seems to be up/running ok.

no_vms.PNG.3e94b04620c2c24b5f06ab250445c2eb.PNG

A suggestion....

right now you pull up a drive page (click a drive name from Array Devices), go to Health tab.

down to SMART tests, if the drive is spun down you get

Last SMART test result: Unavailable

SMART short self-test: Disk must be spun up before running test

SMART extended self-test: Disk must be spun up before running test

so back to main, spin up the drives, click, click

how about

Last SMART test result:   Unavailable

SMART short self-test:   Disk must be spun up before running test

SMART extended self-test: Disk must be spun up before running test

(Spin Up)  []  SPing up this disk

tic and click and then you get....

Last SMART test result:   Completed without errors

SMART short self-test:   (START TEST)

SMART extended self-test: (START TEST)

just to save some clicking about

I actually did try that, it responds with the same error

man, maybe old age is getting to me.  Try "dir" like the old MS-DOS way.

No Joy.

Edit 1

total 42

Did I just miss some step?  Should they be there?  I have backup's should I put them there under qemu?

Edit 2:

I copied my .xml's for the domain's and the lan (had a vlan.xml moved it into networks)  restarted and my vm's show up now. Started my windows 7 and it seems to be up/running ok.

Hmm, did you have the separate plugins for libvirt and vm manager previously?  Wondering if the libvirt plugin removal script removed the domain.cfg file. Its not a huge issue. You can copy the xml back to /etc/libvirt/qemu folder.

No Joy.

Edit 1

total 42

Edit 2:

Hmm, did you have the separate plugins for libvirt and vm manager previously?  Wondering if the libvirt plugin removal script removed the domain.cfg file. Its not a huge issue. You can copy the xml back to /etc/libvirt/qemu folder.

I hadn't looked but assumed the loopback image was still being used since my vm's started.  Depending on what version of the previous plugin/plugins he was using, the image may have been in /boot/config/plugins/virtman instead of dynamix.kvm.manager. I had some code in the newer plg that would check for the old location and file, then rename to domain.img and move to the new location.

I hadn't looked but assumed the loopback image was still being used since my vm's started.  Depending on what version of the previous plugin/plugins he was using, the image may have been in /boot/config/plugins/virtman instead of dynamix.kvm.manager. I had some code in the newer plg that would check for the old location and file, then rename to domain.img and move to the new location.

Do I need to do anything else after copying my .xml files back to /etc/libvirt/qemu?  Will that solution survive a reboot?  I copied three OS.xml files and one network/vlan.xml file.

It formatted as BTRFS.

How many cache slots did you have set when you did this?  Stop your array and just look at the number of slots under cache.

Hi Jon, it said 1.