Jump to content
linuxserver.io

[Support] Linuxserver.io - Plex Media Server

4506 posts in this topic Last Reply

Recommended Posts

I'm having issues with my Plex docker in the last week. The docker img size is growing pretty rapidly and it maxes out my assigned size (20GB) after 3-5 days.  Twice this week I've had to stop docker, change some settings, and restart it. This seems to clear whatever data is building up in Plex. I did this yesterday and when it restarted the plex docker img was <700 MB. It is now >9GB.  When this first happened last week the plex docker was 19GB.

 

I've looked at a couple things and all of my folder paths haven't changed. The only thing I can think is that the transcode process is doing something funny. My transcode folder is set to /tmp.

 

I'm running Unraid 6.8.3 and the Plex docker is up to date.  I actually just forced an update on it to be sure and the docker size is back down to <600 MB.

Share this post


Link to post
5 minutes ago, tmlfan3 said:

I'm having issues with my Plex docker in the last week. The docker img size is growing pretty rapidly and it maxes out my assigned size (20GB) after 3-5 days.  Twice this week I've had to stop docker, change some settings, and restart it. This seems to clear whatever data is building up in Plex. I did this yesterday and when it restarted the plex docker img was <700 MB. It is now >9GB.  When this first happened last week the plex docker was 19GB.

 

I've looked at a couple things and all of my folder paths haven't changed. The only thing I can think is that the transcode process is doing something funny. My transcode folder is set to /tmp.

 

I'm running Unraid 6.8.3 and the Plex docker is up to date.  I actually just forced an update on it to be sure and the docker size is back down to <600 MB.

Docker img is one thing, used by all of your dockers. That is what I assume you meant when you said docker img assigned size 20GB. This is the size you have allocated docker img, and how much of that being used is displayed on the Dashboard.

 

Then later you say plex docker was 19GB. The space used within docker img by each docker can be displayed from the Docker page by clicking the Container Size button at the bottom. Is that what you mean by the 19GB plex docker?

 

Do you have any other dockers?

 

So which of these are you talking about?

Share this post


Link to post
5 hours ago, trurl said:

Is that what you mean by the 19GB plex docker?

 

Do you have any other dockers?

 

So which of these are you talking about?

Yeah I meant the docker. I get warnings for the total Docker img size but the plex container is taking up most of the space. The rest of my containers are all around 500MB or less and I only have <10. 
 

Just to note, in the past 5 hours the plex container has grown by around 200 MB. I’ve watched stuff on plex for about an hour in that time. 

Share this post


Link to post
19 hours ago, tmlfan3 said:

I'm having issues with my Plex docker in the last week. The docker img size is growing pretty rapidly and it maxes out my assigned size (20GB) after 3-5 days.  Twice this week I've had to stop docker, change some settings, and restart it. This seems to clear whatever data is building up in Plex. I did this yesterday and when it restarted the plex docker img was <700 MB. It is now >9GB.  When this first happened last week the plex docker was 19GB.

 

I've looked at a couple things and all of my folder paths haven't changed. The only thing I can think is that the transcode process is doing something funny. My transcode folder is set to /tmp.

 

I'm running Unraid 6.8.3 and the Plex docker is up to date.  I actually just forced an update on it to be sure and the docker size is back down to <600 MB.

Interestingly enough, I too am having issues as of late - say a few days ago. My docker.img wavered around 27% used or so (20G size) and all of a sudden it crept up to 90% utilized. I removed the img and recreated at 30G, reinstalled all of the dockers and see that Plex was at a small 423mb (yesterday) size. 24 hours or so later it is sitting at 7.2G. I suspect it may double in size again as it did previously (yesterday when i got the utilization report/alert) to over 14G in 24 hours.

 

Transcode resides on its own share in cache. I creted a text file (touch test.txt) to verify in the Plex console that Plex is actually seeing and able to write tothat directory and it is. Nothing else other than reinstalling Plex has changed for a long time.... This is net new behavior.

 

Docker run command:  root@localhost:# /usr/local/emhttp/plugins/dynamix.docker.manager/scripts/docker run -d --name='Plex' --net='host' -e TZ="America/New_York" -e HOST_OS="Unraid" -e 'VERSION'='docker' -e 'NVIDIA_VISIBLE_DEVICES'='' -e 'TCP_PORT_32400'='32400' -e 'TCP_PORT_3005'='3005' -e 'TCP_PORT_8324'='8324' -e 'TCP_PORT_32469'='32469' -e 'UDP_PORT_1900'='1900' -e 'UDP_PORT_32410'='32410' -e 'UDP_PORT_32412'='32412' -e 'UDP_PORT_32413'='32413' -e 'UDP_PORT_32414'='32414' -e 'PUID'='99' -e 'PGID'='100' -v '/mnt/user/movies/':'/movies':'rw' -v '/mnt/user/tvshows/':'/tv':'rw' -v '/mnt/user/music/':'/music':'rw' -v '/mnt/user/transcode/':'/transcode':'rw' -v '/mnt/user/appdata/plex/':'/config':'rw' 'linuxserver/plex' 

7b62f9fb6c0ba757bbe78663cd8155d3a29bb848162f0c40004eb0b9b8cfb640

 

Any help this group can provide is appreciated.

 

-MW

 

 

plex_today.png

plex_yesterday.png

tower-diagnostics-20200602-1022.zip

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, mfwade said:

Interestingly enough, I too am having issues as of late - say a few days ago. My docker.img wavered around 27% used or so (20G size) and all of a sudden it crept up to 90% utilized. I removed the img and recreated at 30G, reinstalled all of the dockers and see that Plex was at a small 423mb (yesterday) size. 24 hours or so later it is sitting at 7.2G. I suspect it may double in size again as it did previously (yesterday when i got the utilization report/alert) to over 14G in 24 hours.

 

Transcode resides on its own share in cache. I creted a text file (touch test.txt) to verify in the Plex console that Plex is actually seeing and able to write tothat directory and it is. Nothing else other than reinstalling Plex has changed for a long time.... This is net new behavior.

 

Docker run command:  root@localhost:# /usr/local/emhttp/plugins/dynamix.docker.manager/scripts/docker run -d --name='Plex' --net='host' -e TZ="America/New_York" -e HOST_OS="Unraid" -e 'VERSION'='docker' -e 'NVIDIA_VISIBLE_DEVICES'='' -e 'TCP_PORT_32400'='32400' -e 'TCP_PORT_3005'='3005' -e 'TCP_PORT_8324'='8324' -e 'TCP_PORT_32469'='32469' -e 'UDP_PORT_1900'='1900' -e 'UDP_PORT_32410'='32410' -e 'UDP_PORT_32412'='32412' -e 'UDP_PORT_32413'='32413' -e 'UDP_PORT_32414'='32414' -e 'PUID'='99' -e 'PGID'='100' -v '/mnt/user/movies/':'/movies':'rw' -v '/mnt/user/tvshows/':'/tv':'rw' -v '/mnt/user/music/':'/music':'rw' -v '/mnt/user/transcode/':'/transcode':'rw' -v '/mnt/user/appdata/plex/':'/config':'rw' 'linuxserver/plex' 

7b62f9fb6c0ba757bbe78663cd8155d3a29bb848162f0c40004eb0b9b8cfb640

 

Any help this group can provide is appreciated.

 

-MW

 

 

plex_today.png

plex_yesterday.png

tower-diagnostics-20200602-1022.zip 178.45 kB · 0 downloads

Check the plex server gui settings and make sure transcoding folder is set to "/transcode"

Share this post


Link to post

The "transcode" share and configuration has been set up from day one.

 

Thank you,

 

-MW

 

 

 

Screen Shot 2020-06-02 at 12.53.23 PM.png

Share this post


Link to post
On 5/29/2020 at 12:58 PM, brbones said:

ERROR: The argument for -length must be a positive number
ERROR: Could not open the input file (No such file or directory)

I have had this issue as of today. I was watching a movie via plex.tv and it started to buffer. I stopped the playback and refreshed the page and was greeted with an unable to load page. Looked in my logs and there were tons of these entries. Seems to work fine for a while, then throw a bunch of these errors, crash the container and then reloads. During this instance, I manually restarted the docker to finish watching my movie.

My transcode setting is set to /transcode within Plex and it is pointing to a dedicated share in the docker configuration.

Share this post


Link to post
3 hours ago, mfwade said:

The "transcode" share and configuration has been set up from day one.

 

Thank you,

 

-MW

 

 

 

Screen Shot 2020-06-02 at 12.53.23 PM.png

Do you use plex DVR?

Share this post


Link to post
18 hours ago, trurl said:

Post your plex docker run command as explained in this very first link in the Docker FAQ:

 

https://forums.unraid.net/topic/57181-docker-faq/?do=findComment&comment=564345

 

Also post a screenshot of the transcode directory setting within the Plex application.

Here you go.  I included the docker container sizes to show that since I last posted yesterday the container has grown to <9GB.

Plex Transcode.JPG

Plex Run Command.jpg

Docker Containters.jpg

Share this post


Link to post

Hi how do you get a list of the containers like that and there sizes? 

Share this post


Link to post
13 minutes ago, coblck said:

Hi how do you get a list of the containers like that and there sizes? 

In unraid go to the Docker page. At the bottom of the list of containers is "Container Size" button.

Share this post


Link to post
2 hours ago, trurl said:

Do you use plex DVR?

No, I do not. I have been contemplating setting it up however, just never got around to it.

 

-MW

Share this post


Link to post

Hey guys, running the latest plex pass version on unraid 6.8.3. I have just today started running into major issues with Plex.

Earlier today the plex container crashed, and I have no idea why, it had been running beautifully. I restarted the container and when it started back up all users were gone and I could only login as my main user. I restarted the container again and everything was fine.

Here I am about 3hours later, and it crashes again. This time no amount to restarting the container is helping. When I click in the unraid UI to show the log for the container, nothing jumps out at me as bad.

Im not sure what to do, but I have a new born and a very pissed wife right now. 😵

Share this post


Link to post

Just checked https://status.plex.tv/ and there are currently issues with  "Authentication and API server". could this be my issue with missing users?

Share this post


Link to post
Posted (edited)
17 minutes ago, relink said:

I restarted the container and when it started back up all users were gone and I could only login as my main user

This happened to me today as well.  I noticed it right after starting the Plex app on my PC.  It said there was an update and then all users but the main user were gone.  It appears Plex has messed something up.

 

plex.tv is unreachable and likely causing issues and they are reporting problems with the Plex API.

 

https://status.plex.tv/

 

It takes a long time for Plex to start.  It is recording right now but I cannot play media.  I get "media unreachable" errors or it simply will not play.

Edited by Hoopster

Share this post


Link to post
1 minute ago, Hoopster said:

This happened to me today as well. 

Atleast its not just me. Ive noticed i can still play movies and TV for now, I just cant switch users.

Share this post


Link to post

i am also having the "Plex is not reachable" probably just have to wait it out.

 

Unfortunately i think if we setup a server and host the application on our server why should we have to rely on their servers being up. Maybe just have a occasional authentication for premium subscribers or account stuff.

 

weird thing is:

pc app doesnt work

browser doesnt work

 

but ios phone app works

 

hmm

Share this post


Link to post
7 minutes ago, Mezhom said:

weird thing is:

pc app doesnt work

browser doesnt work

 

but ios phone app works

PC app won't work on three different machines

 

FireTV app works

 

Browser works

 

iOS app works as well.

Share this post


Link to post

I am also having the issue with with the docker.img getting maxed out on size with the linuxserver plex container. I haven't changed anything other than just doing the standard update container option in the unraid gui. The problem for me started around the time Plex enabled the new skip intro feature. The tmp folder is what is eating up all the space, in about 2-3 days it ballooned to 27 GB.

 

Docker run command is as follows although nothing has changed on my side in months in regards to config but the problem started about 2 weeks ago. "docker run -d --name='Plex' --net='bond0' --ip='10.0.1.230' -e TZ="America/New_York" -e HOST_OS="Unraid" -e 'NVIDIA_DRIVER_CAPABILITIES'='all' -e 'NVIDIA_VISIBLE_DEVICES'='GPU-163441c5-a503-1b9f-b353-1b36622ff622' -e 'PUID'='99' -e 'PGID'='100' -e 'CHANGE_CONFIG_DIR_OWNERSHIP'='true' -e 'VERSION'='latest' -v '/mnt/user/Containers/Plex/Data/':'/config':'rw' -v '/dev/shm/':'/transcode':'rw' -v '/mnt/user/Plex/':'/data':'rw' --runtime=nvidia --log-opt max-size=50m --log-opt max-file=1 'linuxserver/plex:latest'"

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, Mezhom said:

Unfortunately i think if we setup a server and host the application on our server why should we have to rely on their servers being up.

Emby FTW.

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, Mezhom said:

Unfortunately i think if we setup a server and host the application on our server why should we have to rely on their servers being up

You can configure your system so no Internet access is required to authenticate and do other Plex functions.  It's not the way Plex is designed to work so these are workarounds.

 

https://forums.plex.tv/t/howto-use-plex-with-no-internet/383325

 

https://www.howtogeek.com/303282/how-to-use-plex-media-server-without-internet-access/

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
4 hours ago, jonathanm said:

Emby FTW.

Absolutely agree 100.0000%

Share this post


Link to post
15 hours ago, mau471 said:

I am also having the issue with with the docker.img getting maxed out on size with the linuxserver plex container. I haven't changed anything other than just doing the standard update container option in the unraid gui. The problem for me started around the time Plex enabled the new skip intro feature. The tmp folder is what is eating up all the space, in about 2-3 days it ballooned to 27 GB.

 

Docker run command is as follows although nothing has changed on my side in months in regards to config but the problem started about 2 weeks ago. "docker run -d --name='Plex' --net='bond0' --ip='10.0.1.230' -e TZ="America/New_York" -e HOST_OS="Unraid" -e 'NVIDIA_DRIVER_CAPABILITIES'='all' -e 'NVIDIA_VISIBLE_DEVICES'='GPU-163441c5-a503-1b9f-b353-1b36622ff622' -e 'PUID'='99' -e 'PGID'='100' -e 'CHANGE_CONFIG_DIR_OWNERSHIP'='true' -e 'VERSION'='latest' -v '/mnt/user/Containers/Plex/Data/':'/config':'rw' -v '/dev/shm/':'/transcode':'rw' -v '/mnt/user/Plex/':'/data':'rw' --runtime=nvidia --log-opt max-size=50m --log-opt max-file=1 'linuxserver/plex:latest'"

Yes, i found an article that states the developers are aware of it. That being said, it mentioned setting the following setting to never: (Settings - Server - Library - ‘Generate intro video markers’ set to “never” until this issue is fixed. I didnt set mine to never, rather i added an additional Path (below).

 

I also created an additional Path to /tmp that resides outside of the docker image, see below for my settings. I believe this will only need to be done temporarily until the real issue is resolved.

 

-MW

plex-2.PNG

plex-3.PNG

Share this post


Link to post

Firstly let me thank the developer(s) for their work and an excellent container.

 

My unRAID server is only about a month old, and I'm slowly working through optimizing everything in it. I have a pair of 1660 Supers in my machine, one I've isolated for use in a Win10 gaming VM (primary position) and a second I use for transcoding (currently passed through to Plex and Handbrake, though the latter is generally not running).

 

Transcoding works like a charm in Plex, and I've scaled it to twenty HEVC>1080p transcodes with resources left to spare on the card. When the transcoding stops, however, the card stays in P0 consuming about 35W compared to my isolated card that sits in P8 consuming about 11W. I have persistence mode enabled on both cards. If I restart the Plex container the card will immediately drop to P8.

 

Does anyone else see this behavior or have thoughts on how I might get the card to idle properly without having to manually restart the container?

Share this post


Link to post

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.