[SUPPORT] pihole for unRaid - Spants repo

I havent pulled any templates!

My pihole template pulls the offical pihole docker and I have not modified that in any way. Unraid 6.10+ caused some issues with permissions with docker data files that the template doesnt change because I am not modifying the docker. Work arounds have been discussed previously.

Note that I have moved to Proxmox, with unRaid as a VM and Adguard as an LXC, so I dont use pihole anymore. Hopefully existing users can support if I can't.

For people with 'port already in use' errors - you need to give pihole its own IP address on a custom/bridged network as it cannot share the same address as unraid.

Edited by spants

I am having a "DNS resolution unavailable" error when I try to update that. I don't think ads are being blocked because I still see a lot of them. Wondering if anyone can look at this and tell me what I have set incorrectly. I really don't know much about networking. Kinda flying blind following SpaceInvaders tutorial, but it looks a little dated. I took a few screenshots since they are probably better at explaining what is going on than I could..

I would appreciate any assistance.

Pihole.png

RouterSettings.png

RouterSettings2.png

I have recently over the weekend discovered Unraid after a RAID failure on my server. I have recently install pihole and set this up for myself. The container runs and works for the device i am testing with, The issue i have is that logging break when i make changes, in previous setups i have edited /etc/hosts with the IP and name of the device so that this is reflected within the pihole gui as i have several devices with DHCP reservations so their IP never changes. The moment i make the changes to the Hosts file and then issue "service-FTL restart" and sign back into the pihole webGUI, the logging is broken and no processing is taking place for my device. i then issue a restart of the container via Unraid and it appears "restart" resets the pihole container back to its original form as it requires a username and password.

After some assistance if anyone has any.ScreenShot261.thumb.jpg.b83b3bd1eff60d2eb352a8e9921979a8.jpg

ScreenShot262.jpg

20 hours ago, kornster said:

I have recently over the weekend discovered Unraid after a RAID failure on my server. I have recently install pihole and set this up for myself. The container runs and works for the device i am testing with, The issue i have is that logging break when i make changes, in previous setups i have edited /etc/hosts with the IP and name of the device so that this is reflected within the pihole gui as i have several devices with DHCP reservations so their IP never changes. The moment i make the changes to the Hosts file and then issue "service-FTL restart" and sign back into the pihole webGUI, the logging is broken and no processing is taking place for my device. i then issue a restart of the container via Unraid and it appears "restart" resets the pihole container back to its original form as it requires a username and password.

After some assistance if anyone has any.ScreenShot261.thumb.jpg.b83b3bd1eff60d2eb352a8e9921979a8.jpg

ScreenShot262.jpg

i have resolved this. I went back over the deployment and the ServerIP Variable must match the Fixed OP Address when set. This appears to have resolved the problem.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

DNS settings not saved/restored when updating container.

When I updated my docker container, I lost my DNS Upstream DNS Servers configuration.

Later I noticed there's settings within the Unraid template for "PIHOLE_DNS_" to set the Upstream DNS servers.  This will restore the settings when the container changes/updated.  But I would prefer to do this through the official PiHole WebUI, not the template.

Is there a way to save the configuration made through the WebUI to persist when updating the container?

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

lately I have issues with this docker image. Everytime I restart my Server, the docker image doesn't restart. When I try starting it I get this error message:

grafik.png.2f073ebf99d89e5a9f83a0fe050fb71d.png

I found the issue that when I try to restart this docker image with the static IP address I gave it before I restart my server, it now tells me that this IP is already in use, even though it is assigned to this docker container and no other docker container is using this address or port:

grafik.png.d422378cd9a653ab6b6d87b85aadfc54.png

When I change the IP just by 1, everything works again until I need to restart the server again. Then I need to add again 1 to the end to the IP. I checked my router if it assigned the ip to any other devices but can confirm that 192.168.178.101 is only used by this docker container and nothing else. I even removed it from my router as I thought that the DHCP is causing the issue, but I don't think so.

Is there a possibility to check which IPs Unraid is already using for the custom network or even clear the IP Pool or something? As it is quite a hassle to always need to update the IP and change all the DNS settings.

Thanks a lot.

I installed this a few months back and now it doesn't work. I'm getting similar errors to other people. It seems that something has changed in the configuration with some update and I don't know how to set it. When I went in Network Type was set to None but the instructions say to set it to Bridge. With none set it will start but it has no IP and I can't get to the web UI. With it set to Bridge and having a static IP that used to work just fine I get this:

Error starting userland proxy: listen tcp4 0.0.0.0:80: bind: address already in use.

Should I be using br0? Should it be something else? Is there a way to figure out what I should use? 

I'm having an issue that is confusing me greatly.  I just set up unRAID this weekend and PiHole was the first thing I installed on it.  I set the Network Type to "Custom (br0)", set the Fixed IP address to the LAN IP I wanted it on, and also set the Server IP to the same.

If I connect to the IP from a remote system on my home LAN, it connects up just fine.  However, if I try to connect to it from the host system (the unRAID server), I can't connect to it.  If I open a terminal in unRAID and ping the PiHole IP, it times out (I can ping the gateway, tho).  For the life of me I can't figure out what's going on, unless it's some wonky way unRAID handles internal routing between containers.  It's not a show-stopper but it would be good to know what's going on and how to fix it in case I run into similar issues later on.

Also, at some point in my fiddling around with it, I can no longer resolve pi.hole.  The first time I set it up it worked, but not anymore.

Hi,

I installed pihole on unraid and it's working great to blocking ads.  My gateway is unifi dream machine special edition (UDM SE).  I set  the dns ip as pihole IP in UDM SE.  What I noticed is in unraid under DOCKER tab, all of the dockers version is "not available."  Previously I would see a green check mark for up to date or update available.  Any ideas what could be causing this and how to resolve this?

image.png.30234ec4ae957574d917e0b6aa26d010.png

Thanks @Kilrah.  I opened the terminal in unraid and noticed I was unable to ping from unraid ip to the pihole ip assigned in docker.  Is this a known issue that unraid can't ping pihole ip?

Ideally I'd like to force all DNS on my network to pihole instead of allowing clients to manually override it.

8 hours ago, mr.x said:

Is this a known issue that unraid can't ping pihole ip?

That's a limitation of the macvlan network driver used to provide containers with their own IPs.

There may be workarounds but I haven't seen anyone report on trying them. 

https://www.reddit.com/r/docker/comments/o26zi5/cant_ping_macvlan_containers_from_localhost/

https://blog.oddbit.com/post/2018-03-12-using-docker-macvlan-networks/

8 hours ago, mr.x said:

Ideally I'd like to force all DNS on my network to pihole instead of allowing clients to manually override it.

They will always be able to override it manually, at least unless you implement a firewall that's blocking outbound connections to every DNS server out there...

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/26/2020 at 1:58 PM, mfwade said:

I finally found the answer on how to take care of it in the "extra parameters" section by adding --hostname=(whatever I want to call it).

Hey, I know this message is 2 years old but I am currently struggling with Pi-hole hostname ... kept using random generic name. Would you be able to tell me if this is still working? I am not sure what you mean by extra parameters... 

Thanks! 

On 1/18/2020 at 2:40 AM, frakman1 said:

I just wanted to share a trick I used to have hostnames show up in the Pihole Dashboard for my local devices instead of IP addresses. Like this:

image.png.12cbcb92d1db2fe7d9e6289e710cb418.png

First make a copy of the /etc/hosts file in the PiHole container and place it in the app data folder on the host where you can modify it to suit your local LAN.

Then I just added a volume mount via the docker template page to link the two files

image.thumb.png.5043f695874c414208705e2e6bc7426a.png

image.thumb.png.1caf5d21397ccfd391806cec81ad6bcc.png

Hello,

I tried that for my hostname file since Pi-Hole kept getting generic random hostname... although it seems to load the /etc/hostname file correctly.... my Pi-Hole still has a generic random name for some reason...  Any idea how to assign a proper name to my Pi-Hole?

Thanks!

I am having a problem with the latest PiHole setup.  I use the Br0 interface and give it a separate IP address from the IP address of the server.  This used to work in 6.8 version of unraid, but started to throw massive errors when I updated to 6.11.  

t 27 12:38:24 Tower kernel: vetha58e1c6: renamed from eth0
Oct 27 12:38:24 Tower  avahi-daemon[2174]: Interface vethd89dac8.IPv6 no longer relevant for mDNS.
Oct 27 12:38:24 Tower  avahi-daemon[2174]: Leaving mDNS multicast group on interface vethd89dac8.IPv6 with address fe80::28c0:30ff:fe29:6f35.
Oct 27 12:38:24 Tower kernel: docker0: port 3(vethd89dac8) entered disabled state
Oct 27 12:38:24 Tower kernel: device vethd89dac8 left promiscuous mode
Oct 27 12:38:24 Tower kernel: docker0: port 3(vethd89dac8) entered disabled state
Oct 27 12:38:24 Tower  avahi-daemon[2174]: Withdrawing address record for fe80::28c0:30ff:fe29:6f35 on vethd89dac8.
Oct 27 12:47:10 Tower kernel: br-5180425399c9: port 2(veth78638f9) entered disabled state

This keeps spamming in the logs when I have PiHole container active.  Any solutions?

Edited by Ben deBoer