Preclear plugin

Apologies if this has been asked/answered before, but is it advisable or not to preclear multiple drives at once? Does running the script on more than one drive at a time significantly reduce the performance of each individual operation?

Got 2 drives preclearing now, at about 21 hours I'm "Pre-Read (2 of 3): 8% @ 152 MB/s (0:28:24)" and "Post-Read: 93% @ 114 MB/s (6:48:22)" on the second drive. (not sure if it's 1 of 3 or 2 of 3)....)

Decided to add two 3TB drives that were on sale @ newegg, and further decided to use this script on them.... just getting impatient ;)

Edited by Energen

Hi all, 

I'm not sure if this is being posted in the right spot or not!? but hopefully someone can point me in the right direction here. I'm brand new to unraid. I was using Ubuntu Server to run plex and store TV/movies, but thought i'd give this a stab. 

I am attempting to preclear my 2 HDDs (8TB and 4TB) that will be used in the array.

I set them both off last night to preclear (about 10pm) and when i came back this morning to check (about 9am) unraid was unresponsive. I couldn't even ping the NIC (destination unreachable) so i had to reset the system. Still couldn't gain access via web portal but could login via the console. After try a crap-load of stuff, still couldn't get in via the web portal. After another reboot, i was able to gain access to the web portal. I ran a quick SMART test on both drives and couldn't see anything fishy so I thought i'd try preclearing just the 4TB. I set that off at about 11am and when i cam back home at 3pm, the bloody web gui had frozen again. I could ping the NIC but the console appeared to be locked/frozen. I've kicked off an extended SMART test on the 4TB. If there's anything I'm missing here i'd be stoked for some assistance. 

Cheers, 

Wilson

Server Specs - unRAID v6.3.5

MB - Gigabyte AX370 Gaming K3 Motherboard

CPU - AMD Ryzen 5 1600 Processor

RAM - G.Skill Fortis F4-2400C15D-16GFT (2x8GB) Ryzen DDR4

PSU - Cooler Master MasterWatt Lite 500W Power Supply

HDD - Western Digital WD Red 8TB WD80EFZX

HDD - Western Digital WD Red 4TB WD40EFRX

CACHE - Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB

BOOT - Kingston DataTraveler_3.0 - 15.5 GB

Edited by CobaltAUS
update unRAID version

On 21/07/2017 at 11:29 AM, NAS said:

Apologies if this is covered but this thread is too long to review.

When you use preclear, once complete you are left with two confusingly contradictory options: "Preclear Finished Successfully!" and "Stop preclear".

Should the "Stop preclear" Red X still be available when  preclear is no longer running? Or is the nature of what "Stop preclear" means different after it completes and the wording is just confusing in that context.?

10 hours ago, NAS said:

That is certainly not the case here. I have never seen anything other than "Stop".

For example this is what I see this now:

Qc8hffR.jpg

8 hours ago, saarg said:

You have to push the X to remove the preclear once it's finished. Why it's like this, you should ask @gfjardim. Probably better to post it in the preclear thread. 

5 hours ago, dlandon said:

That is a tool tip and it is probably wrong.  The actual function once the preclear is done is to delete the preclear script.  You have to delete the script to enable the format of the disk.

Yes, it is best to post this issue on the preclear thread.

I noticed in my unRAID log I see these entries.

Should I be worried about this?

Jul 28 13:45:44 Tower root: error: plugins/preclear.disk/Preclear.php: wrong csrf_token
Jul 28 13:45:46 Tower root: error: plugins/preclear.disk/Preclear.php: wrong csrf_token
Jul 28 13:45:51 Tower root: error: plugins/preclear.disk/Preclear.php: wrong csrf_token
Jul 28 13:45:54 Tower root: error: plugins/preclear.disk/Preclear.php: wrong csrf_token
Jul 28 13:45:56 Tower root: error: plugins/preclear.disk/Preclear.php: wrong csrf_token
Jul 28 13:46:01 Tower root: error: plugins/preclear.disk/Preclear.php: wrong csrf_token
Jul 28 13:46:04 Tower root: error: plugins/preclear.disk/Preclear.php: wrong csrf_token
Jul 28 13:46:07 Tower root: error: plugins/preclear.disk/Preclear.php: wrong csrf_token
Jul 28 13:46:12 Tower root: error: plugins/preclear.disk/Preclear.php: wrong csrf_token
Jul 28 13:46:14 Tower root: error: plugins/preclear.disk/Preclear.php: wrong csrf_token
Jul 28 13:46:17 Tower root: error: plugins/preclear.disk/Preclear.php: wrong csrf_token
Jul 28 13:46:22 Tower root: error: plugins/preclear.disk/Preclear.php: wrong csrf_token
Jul 28 13:46:24 Tower root: error: plugins/preclear.disk/Preclear.php: wrong csrf_token
Jul 28 13:46:27 Tower root: error: plugins/preclear.disk/Preclear.php: wrong csrf_token
Jul 28 14:00:01 Tower root: mover started

3 minutes ago, deaerator said:

I noticed in my unRAID log I see these entries.

Should I be worried about this?

Jul 28 13:45:44 Tower root: error: plugins/preclear.disk/Preclear.php: wrong csrf_token
Jul 28 13:45:46 Tower root: error: plugins/preclear.disk/Preclear.php: wrong csrf_token
Jul 28 13:45:51 Tower root: error: plugins/preclear.disk/Preclear.php: wrong csrf_token
Jul 28 13:45:54 Tower root: error: plugins/preclear.disk/Preclear.php: wrong csrf_token
Jul 28 13:45:56 Tower root: error: plugins/preclear.disk/Preclear.php: wrong csrf_token
Jul 28 13:46:01 Tower root: error: plugins/preclear.disk/Preclear.php: wrong csrf_token
Jul 28 13:46:04 Tower root: error: plugins/preclear.disk/Preclear.php: wrong csrf_token
Jul 28 13:46:07 Tower root: error: plugins/preclear.disk/Preclear.php: wrong csrf_token
Jul 28 13:46:12 Tower root: error: plugins/preclear.disk/Preclear.php: wrong csrf_token
Jul 28 13:46:14 Tower root: error: plugins/preclear.disk/Preclear.php: wrong csrf_token
Jul 28 13:46:17 Tower root: error: plugins/preclear.disk/Preclear.php: wrong csrf_token
Jul 28 13:46:22 Tower root: error: plugins/preclear.disk/Preclear.php: wrong csrf_token
Jul 28 13:46:24 Tower root: error: plugins/preclear.disk/Preclear.php: wrong csrf_token
Jul 28 13:46:27 Tower root: error: plugins/preclear.disk/Preclear.php: wrong csrf_token
Jul 28 14:00:01 Tower root: mover started

You have a browser window open from before you rebooted your unraid server or margarita/controlR app on your phone.

I tried a few days ago to simultaneously preclear 3 8tb archive drives and had each preclear freeze in different parts of the preclear operation.  I rebooted and tried again with just one and its frozen as well.  I see no errors in the log and i received no notifcations of stages complete.  Using Opera as browser. 

Also on both of my unraid servers when i update preclear plugin or delete and reinstall i do not get a "done"  at the bottom but it does say that it has been updated.

At this point i am downloading the other 2 preclear plugins to try them.  Which one is most recommended?  any suggestions?

Edit/Update - is it possible to have all 3 preclear plugins running? It appears that that there is a naming conflict  in the  now i only have gfjardim 8.0-beta and joe L 1.15?  I am trying the JoeL but not getting any constant updates via the monitoring window.;  (and now i am reading in the forums that its not working with latest unraid? I find the whole thing overly complicated and confusing. Frustrated at the moment.  Should i even be trying to use the other scripts or sticking with the beta that comes with july 10th preclear plugin?

Update2.  It has now failed 5 times on one machine, it doesnt appear that any notifications are happening on this one, yet it goes about 12 hours before locking up.  So far so good on a 2nd unraid server with one of the same hard drives that failed.  

Edited by FrozenGamer
On 9/28/2015 at 10:34 AM, jbuszkie said:

I don't see the "mail" option when I start a pre-clear?  I see it as an option in video... but not in my options?

I get the mail notifications for other stuff like array health and what not..

Jim

Just a guess, go to settings/notifications and set it up on your server if not done already.

2 hours ago, Lev said:

Very minor cosmetic item... when the plug-in is installed it doesn't return with the 'Done' button like most other scripts. Everything still installs successfully. Seen it happen twice now on two different servers.

Isn't limited to Preclear.  There's a few plugins that have the same "issue".  It's because of how the respective authors chose to execute the commands needed to install.

I will preface everything by saying I am not running the latest version of the plugin. I thought I updated it but before I started my latest preclear but I didn't. I am running the 2017.03.31 version.

I have 2 8TB WD Reds (WD80EFAX) that I shucked from external enclosures. They are both connected to a 2 port pci-e SATA expansion card. I launched a 3 cycle preclear on both drives within about 1 minute of each other. I checked them today and the preclear status messages are frozen (see image below) on sdg. The read and write operations are both still increasing at about the same pace. Is it safe to assume that the preclear operation is still proceeding as normal on sdg and the status updates are just frozen? Everything on sdh appears to be going as it normally would. I am wondering if I should kill the preclears and update the script or just keep going?

preclear.thumb.png.9e059a78e1decf2a77408b6c1d45d5d7.png

Update: the status updates have now frozen for sdh but it continues to accumulate reads. Is the preclear still running and the status updates are just frozen?

Edited by wsume99
2 hours ago, nate1749 said:

anyone know where to download the required preclear_disk.sh script? The attachment on the linked post is dead: 

Worked for me just  now.  BTW, this @Joe L script has to be modified to work with any recent release of unRAID.  See here for instructions:

3 hours ago, nate1749 said:

anyone know where to download the required preclear_disk.sh script? The attachment on the linked post is dead: 

BTW- This script isn't actually required, it's one of 3 options. One is included with the plugin (gfjardim) and two others (Joe L and bjp999) can also be used if you choose. As @Frank1940 pointed out, the Joe L script must be modified.

See the FAQ in OP.

Brand new server build with fresh but used drives that need to be wiped clean.  Preclear sticks at "starting", but never actually seems to be doing anything.  I followed the spaceinvader video, which does not seem to reference installing a script so I haven't, but the support thread does? I have removed and reinstalled the plugin as well as rebooted the entire server. I know this is something stupid but I'm about 24 hours into trying to figure it out on my own.

TOWER-preclear.disk-20170807-1035.zip

10 hours ago, btrcp2000 said:

Brand new server build with fresh but used drives that need to be wiped clean.  Preclear sticks at "starting", but never actually seems to be doing anything.  I followed the spaceinvader video, which does not seem to reference installing a script so I haven't, but the support thread does? I have removed and reinstalled the plugin as well as rebooted the entire server. I know this is something stupid but I'm about 24 hours into trying to figure it out on my own.

TOWER-preclear.disk-20170807-1035.zip

Same issue here.

• Squid unpinned this topic