Unraid OS version 6.6.3 available


limetech

186 posts in this topic Last Reply

Recommended Posts

  • Replies 185
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Well, you want one of us to go through all of the updates and pick out the ones that are important to you?  Come on, give us a break.  Everything in these updates is important to the various different

lol  a true Unraid OS user!

To upgrade: If you are running any 6.4 or later release, click 'Check for Updates' on the Tools/Update OS page. If you are running a pre-6.4 release, click 'Check for Updates' on the Plu

Posted Images

On 10/22/2018 at 1:46 PM, thany said:

Still wondering if it's worth upgrading from 6.5.3, as I have no idea what the changes are?... Am I missing something?

You're missing the release notes...which are posted in the very first post of this announcement... as they are for all releases.

 

You should, you know, read them. And if anything looks important to you, well, there you go...or not. What I'm missing is what you are asking for :)

Link to post

Just upgraded one of my servers to 6.6.3 from 6.5.3 and found several issues ...

 

(1)  On the Main screen the STOP button doesn't work.   Hovering the mouse there has no impact (the button doesn't highlight)  -- it works fine on all other buttons ("Check", "History", Spin Down", "Spin Up", "Clear Statistics", "Reboot", and "Power Down").

 

(2)  Dynamix Cache Directories does not seem to be working -- and the Settings page for this is almost completely unresponsive.  Nothing can be selected or changed except the drop-down for Logging and the text entry box for User defined options -- no other box can be selected to enter any values and the other drop-downs don't do anything when you click on the carets.

 

(3)  The display header at the top of the page isn't displayed correctly.

 

Haven't done anything with the array -- e. g. parity check; xfer speed checks; etc., so I don't know if there are any apparent performance issues (only been running it for a couple hours).    But until I resolve the above I won't be updating any of my other servers :-)

 

Link to post

Was reading through the thread in more detail, and noted others have had similar display issues … and they are also using IE-11, which is what I generally use.    Just tried accessing the GUI with Firefox and all of the problems I noted above disappeared … i.e. everything seems to be working just fine.    I also tried it with Edge, which also works fine.     So the issue is simply that IE-11 does NOT display the GUI correctly with this new version.

 

A bit frustrating, but not a major problem … I just need to change my shortcuts for my servers to use Firefox or Edge.

Link to post
22 minutes ago, garycase said:

Just upgraded one of my servers to 6.6.3 from 6.5.3 and found several issues ...

 

(1)  On the Main screen the STOP button doesn't work.   Hovering the mouse there has no impact (the button doesn't highlight)  -- it works fine on all other buttons ("Check", "History", Spin Down", "Spin Up", "Clear Statistics", "Reboot", and "Power Down").

 

(2)  Dynamix Cache Directories does not seem to be working -- and the Settings page for this is almost completely unresponsive.  Nothing can be selected or changed except the drop-down for Logging and the text entry box for User defined options -- no other box can be selected to enter any values and the other drop-downs don't do anything when you click on the carets.

 

(3)  The display header at the top of the page isn't displayed correctly.

 

Haven't done anything with the array -- e. g. parity check; xfer speed checks; etc., so I don't know if there are any apparent performance issues (only been running it for a couple hours).    But until I resolve the above I won't be updating any of my other servers 🙂

 

I've gone from 6.5.3 to 6.6.1 and now to 6.6.3 and don't have these problems. I use the Dynamix Cache directories and it works fine for me after updating. I can also stop my array and my display header is normal. You should probably post your logs/report the issue because you may have something specific to your system going awry.

Link to post
2 minutes ago, garycase said:

Was reading through the thread in more detail, and noted others have had similar display issues … and they are also using IE-11, which is what I generally use.    Just tried accessing the GUI with Firefox and all of the problems I noted above disappeared … i.e. everything seems to be working just fine.    I also tried it with Edge, which also works fine.     So the issue is simply that IE-11 does NOT display the GUI correctly with this new version.

 

A bit frustrating, but not a major problem … I just need to change my shortcuts for my servers to use Firefox or Edge.

 IE11 is practically dead. The official EOL from Microsoft is technically 2020 but even they would prefer you stuck a fork in it now and declared it done.

 

Reminds me of the dark days of IE6, oh how I hated having to support that well past its shelf life because lots of IT departments put off updating due to all the custom ActiveX crap plugins their users depended on.

Link to post
8 hours ago, limetech said:

We do test with Edge.

Might be good to put a note in the first post of this and all future releases that either (1) IE11 is not being supported and has reported issues or (2) a list of the browsers which are supported for GUI use. 

Edited by Frank1940
Link to post
On 10/23/2018 at 4:28 PM, Frank1940 said:

Capture.thumb.JPG.7ae6e6fada99d9f10a6987b1ba7d3d04.JPG

 

This is what my screen looks like in Chrome and Firefox.  I have just tried it with Firefox, Chrome and IE  (ver 11.0.9600.19129).  I am seeing the same thing as you with IE.  Don't know what the problem is  with IE.  Perhaps @bonienl could jump in at this point. 

 

EDIT:  Both Firefox and Chrome work fine.  IE has problems with any boxes or icons in the main tabs. Can switch between the main tabs but nothing works inside the tabs.  

Off topic but how did u get the menu bar black? When I switched to the dark theme in unraid it changed everything besides the menu bar it’s still white.. and it’s driving me crazy lol 

Link to post
2 minutes ago, Lassley7 said:

Off topic but how did u get the menu bar black?

That is the standard White color theme.  I have never used the Black theme as I don't like Black backgrounds!  I really like the new White theme as the background is a very light gray.  

Link to post
16 minutes ago, Frank1940 said:

That is the standard White color theme.  I have never used the Black theme as I don't like Black backgrounds!  I really like the new White theme as the background is a very light gray.  

Could it be added into requested features? I love the dark theme with the colored “used, free” bars it looks very slick but the white menu bar just throws it off “in my opinion”

Link to post
6 minutes ago, Lassley7 said:

Could it be added into requested features? I love the dark theme with the colored “used, free” bars it looks very slick but the white menu bar just throws it off “in my opinion”

 

The GUI author @bonienl has made a couple of tweaks recently to GUI customization based on user requests/feedback.  It doesn't hurt to ask.

Link to post

Another annoyance …

 

I just finished running a parity check with 6.6.3 and …

 

The new version has added almost 3 HOURS to the parity check times !!    This system used to do parity checks in just under 8 hours with v5.   When I upgraded it to v6, the time for a parity check jumped to almost  14 hours !!   Data transfers were also notably slower.   I reverted it to v5 for a long time, but last year decided to just put up with the slower transfer speeds and longer parity checks and upgraded it to v6 so all of my servers were on the same version.    This is purely a storage server – no add-ons, Dockers, or VMs – so the slower performance wasn’t really a big deal.

 

The times never got better as new v6 versions were released – the original time of 13:50 jumped up to 16:08, then decreased to 15:18 with 6.5, and has been steady in that range throughout 2018 – my last few checks were all in the 15:10 to 15:14 range.    But the upgrade from 6.5.3 to 6.6.3 has now jumped these times to nearly 18 hours (17:52) !!   That’s 10 HOURS longer than they took with v5 !!    I’ve never understood why v6 was so much slower for these checks … these should be the exact same set of calculations.    This IS a low-end CPU … a SuperMicro Atom D525 board … but as I noted v5 did the exact same parity check in under 8 hours.   The drives are all 3TB WD Reds, and it’s a single parity system.

Link to post

@garycase.  On the exact same board - all 4tb and dual parity - this last update cycle made it so any interaction with the server (disk, Gui. or ssh) during parity check would lockup and require a hard reboot.    As I've recently come across a 3rd gen? i7 and matching mobo/ram I decided to disable HT and swap out the hardware.   Looks like I'm finally done with the long suffering D525.   

Link to post
2 hours ago, nuhll said:

annoyed like every time to switch between next and stable, so useless.

 

Just put a "LATEST" in there. But i guess, thats too easy.

Disagree. Many do not want to be running non-stable builds, so only having Latest would ruin the upgrade experience for many.

Link to post

The ones who dont want it, can set it to stable and be happy. Just add an extra option to be able to use the latest unraid, thats something that every program on this earth has. It should obv not be standard selected, but manual selactable.

Edited by nuhll
Link to post
32 minutes ago, nuhll said:

The ones who dont want it, can set it to stable and be happy. Just add an extra option to be able to use the latest unraid, thats something that every program on this earth has. It should obv not be standard selected, but manual selactable.

Seems to me it is a good thing to make people think twice and perhaps consult the release thread before upgrading. Is it really a lot of extra effort for you?

Link to post
3 hours ago, landS said:

@garycase.  On the exact same board - all 4tb and dual parity - this last update cycle made it so any interaction with the server (disk, Gui. or ssh) during parity check would lockup and require a hard reboot.    As I've recently come across a 3rd gen? i7 and matching mobo/ram I decided to disable HT and swap out the hardware.   Looks like I'm finally done with the long suffering D525.    

 

I'm tempted to do the same, but this trusty little server is just used for storage and I have 3 other servers with a lot more horsepower for other tasks.   … and I love the < 20w idle power consumption.    (Although the newer generation motherboards/CPUs aren't all that much more with a LOT more horsepower)

 

So … I simply reverted it back to 6.5.3 and will just leave it there.   Running a parity check now to confirm it's back to "only" 15 hrs, and it shows 3 hrs to go after 11:50, so I'm sure it's back to the times I've been used to for v6.    [Still frustrates me every time I run a parity check since it used to take 7:55 with v5, but at least it's less than the 18 hours it took with 6.6.3]

 

Link to post
  • limetech unfeatured and unpinned this topic

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.