[Plugin] Nvidia-Driver

ich777

On 3/24/2022 at 2:00 PM, ich777 said:

No, since if you want to use it in containers for HW transcoding or something else you need at least a driver with version 400+

I would recommend to look out for something newer on the used marked or even new, for examle you should be able to pick up a NVIDIA T400 for about ~130,- brand new (low profile, can only draw a maximum of about 30Watt).

GOT IT. thanks for your advice. but it seems not work for me cause my unraid runs on a laptop so i cannot replace the gpu😂

• Like 1
On 3/23/2022 at 10:24 AM, myo said:

seems not. there is no 390.xx options.  sad 

Latest Legacy GPU version (390.xx series): 390.147

Will there be any chance to add "Latest Legacy GPU" as on option?

Up until that last update, my Quadro K5200 did a lot of heavy lifting for my transcoding.   I'd rather toss the developer money to add that versus wasting more money on replacing a fully functional graphics card.

Thank you in advance.

2 minutes ago, boxmantech said:

Will there be any chance to add "Latest Legacy GPU" as on option?

I think you don't mean Legacy GPUs, you mean the "old" ones from which Nvidia dropped support recently...

Please read this if you are on 6.9.2: Click

I'm still compiling these drivers, also for new Unraid versions as long as they compile fine, but the issue is if you are on 6.9.2 they don't show up on the plugin page, the above linked Github issue will shed some light on it... ;)

8 minutes ago, ich777 said:

I'm still compiling these drivers, also for new Unraid versions as long as they compile fine, but the issue is if you are on 6.9.2 they don't show up on the plugin page, the above linked Github issue will shed some light on it... ;)

Thanks for this - I am running 6.10.0-rc4.    Maybe that is the break.

The K5200 latest is 470.103.01.   Upon reboot using that driver it is not available through Nvidia-Driver although listed under System Devices.

[10de:103c] 0a:00.0 VGA compatible controller: NVIDIA Corporation GK110GL [Quadro K5200] (rev a1)

I will attempt to pull diagnostics using steps from this thread.

Thanks again.

7 minutes ago, ich777 said:

The latest driver that will work with your card should be 470.94 and should be available through the plugin.

My apologies.  I meant to say: I have that selected and the card is no longer visible to Nvidia-Driver after a reboot.   I can only see the card under System Devices.   Perhaps this is an Unraid issue with rc4.

I am pulling a diagnostics file now.

Hi 

I have installed nvidia driver plugin but get this message 

Apr 13 18:46:16 Axi kernel: NVRM: supported through the NVIDIA 340.xx Legacy drivers. Please
Apr 13 18:46:16 Axi kernel: NVRM: visit http://www.nvidia.com/object/unix.html for more
Apr 13 18:46:16 Axi kernel: NVRM: information. The 510.60.02 NVIDIA driver will ignore
Apr 13 18:46:16 Axi kernel: NVRM: this GPU. Continuing probe...
Apr 13 18:46:16 Axi kernel: NVRM: No NVIDIA GPU found.

i don't use linux daily so i don't know how to install in unraid older drivers. I need this driuver only to put this card to sleep  and save some kW/h. 

can someone help?

Hi 
I have installed nvidia driver plugin but get this message 

Apr 13 18:46:16 Axi kernel: NVRM: supported through the NVIDIA 340.xx Legacy drivers. Please
Apr 13 18:46:16 Axi kernel: NVRM: visit http://www.nvidia.com/object/unix.html for more
Apr 13 18:46:16 Axi kernel: NVRM: information. The 510.60.02 NVIDIA driver will ignore
Apr 13 18:46:16 Axi kernel: NVRM: this GPU. Continuing probe...
Apr 13 18:46:16 Axi kernel: NVRM: No NVIDIA GPU found.

i don't use linux daily so i don't know how to install in unraid older drivers. I need this driuver only to put this card to sleep  and save some kW/h. 

can someone help?
may a Info which GPU you have

Gesendet von meinem SM-S901B mit Tapatalk

12 minutes ago, MoherPower said:

NVIDIA Quadro NVS 290

This is a card launched in 2007 and it's not supported by the driver, btw this card is only rated for a maximum TDP from 21 Watt.

You can find the latest supported cards here (click on Supported Products): Click

I also compile a "older" driver to keep support up for 6xx and 7xx cards as long as they compile fine and you can find the supported cards here (click on Supported Products): Click

I know it is old. i bought it for like 4$. I use unraid for docker/NAS purposes so i dont need any graphic card. I have this one only becouse my MB will not start without graphic card. Acording to link i found drivers on Nvidia web site 

Linux x86/IA32
Latest Legacy GPU version (390.xx series): 390.147
Latest Legacy GPU version (340.xx series): 340.108
Latest Legacy GPU version (304.xx series): 304.137

but i dont know how to uninstall latest Production Branch: v510.60.02 drivers and install 340.xx drivers. 

I can ofcourse install win 7/8/10 on VM and install driver there and than use them to put my  card to sleep but it will use my resources for unused mashine. 

10 minutes ago, MoherPower said:

but i dont know how to uninstall latest Production Branch: v510.60.02 drivers and install 340.xx drivers. 

This is not possible with my plugin because the drivers needs to be built for every single Unraid version and I don't support those old Legacy Cards because there is no benefit because they are simply not usable in Docker containers and I really don't know if you even can safe power because the old drivers (and the architecture from the cards too) are completely different from what they are now.

Did you watch the video from @SpaceInvaderOne or am I wrong?

I even don't think his script will work for your card even when you manage to install the drivers.

I can ofcourse install win 7/8/10 on VM and install driver there and than use them to put my  card to sleep but it will use my resources for unused mashine. 

This would not be a really good idea because usually Windows (and a VM in general) generates some kind of load in the background so that you are maybe saving some power but wasting this saved power on the CPU side of your server because you are running a VM.

I have this one only becouse my MB will not start without graphic card.

Are you really sure that this is the case? Most BIOS have a option that says "Wait for F1 on error" or something similar, this needs to be disabled and then your Motherboard should start even without a graphics card.

MB just beeps 3shot time and than 1 long. than do nothing. i read in manual that indicates graphic card error. 

this is my MB / CPU

Gigabyte Technology Co., Ltd. X570 AORUS PRO Version x.x - s/n: Default

AMD Ryzen 9 5900X 12-Core @ 3700 MHz

becouse it is my first build of my home nas i made several mistakes that i want to correct now without heavy investing of money. My first mistake was taking 2u server case with 8 sas bays for home (moustly wanted it to be Quiet) biuld. It is just not working as quiet with 4x80mm fans. so i switched them for quiet noctua fans but now all component work on higher temperatures. my video card is heating up to 60+ C. i thought that puting this card to sleep will save power/heat/noise  not only becouse of card but also becouse of fans that are trying to cool system down. 

and yes i watched spaceinvader yt video becouse i try to find solution by myself first and than use time of others :).

my problem is this

when i copy data to array my 2 nvme drives heats up to 55 C. i installed active cooling theatsinks on those drives but still they overheat to 50 C becouse they are close to PCI slot where is my Video card and my RAID controller. this lead me to your plugin that i wanted to use to put GPU to sleep. RAID controller cools down when not used video card not. 

knowing what i want to acomplish maby you can advise me video card that is 

1) low profile

2) pasive cooling

3) supported by your plugin.

4) cheap :)

Edited by MoherPower
34 minutes ago, MoherPower said:

when i copy data to array my 2 nvme drives heats up to 55 C

nvme drives are fine in this range, even better when not too cold probably ... 

40 - 65 ° are a nice temp for nvme drives in usage, so that is absolutely fine, just as note ;)

35 minutes ago, MoherPower said:

knowing what i want to acomplish maby you can advise me video card that is 

may also "what do you want todo with it ..."

a GT1030 is available in LP and passive (i have 1 lying around here ;)), but thats for desktop usage only as its without NVENC (no encoder)

here an ocerview of the Nvidia funcions

https://developer.nvidia.com/video-encode-and-decode-gpu-support-matrix-new

and they all should be fine in combination with this plugin

now just search for a LP GT1050 as start with an encoder as sample ... and about passive, most cards are throttled in low usage or even fans off when in persistent mode (like here in my system), depends now really what your usecase is about ...

thx for reply alturismo.

Unraid is spamming me with warrnings when my nvme drive gose beyound 45 C. I can't change it becouse (I found it in last days) of  well known bug in 6.9.2.  that is why i thought this temps are too high.

i use my video card basicly for starting system. My MB wont start if she finds no graphic card installed.

i dont use plex or anything that requires card after starting system. 

I could go without GPU if this MB of mine would boot witout graphics.

1 hour ago, MoherPower said:

Unraid is spamming me with warrnings when my nvme drive gose beyound 45 C. I can't change it becouse (I found it in last days) of  well known bug in 6.9.2.  that is why i thought this temps are too high.

are you sure ?

in Main, click on the nvme disk name

image.png.cc5d6f7bd55bdbefa3dd5a112c0500f1.png

there you can adjust individual warning temps ...

image.thumb.png.9901045c7e36fd780711f01109efb2ab.png

and about headless mode, may a hint ... its a different CPU ... 

https://www.reddit.com/r/gigabyte/comments/phokq2/x570_aorus_elite_headless_boot/

but here it also looks bad ... weird ;)

https://forums.unraid.net/topic/88979-3900x-on-x570-without-gpu/

so any cheap GPU will do it, a GT1030 as pointed above will do the trick, also passiv available and not too expensive, just bought mine as reserve for € 70,- ...

31 minutes ago, alturismo said:

are you sure ?

in Main, click on the nvme disk name

image.png.cc5d6f7bd55bdbefa3dd5a112c0500f1.png

there you can adjust individual warning temps ...

image.thumb.png.9901045c7e36fd780711f01109efb2ab.png

please look at this post. here i reportet that anything you said above is not persistant. replay was about "well known bug" in unraid

https://forums.unraid.net/topic/122210-settings-for-specific-disks-are-not-saved-please-help/#comment-1115658

and thx for link with fast boot. i have pro version not elite but with next restart i will check the option.

44 minutes ago, MoherPower said:

please look at this post. here i reportet that anything you said above is not persistant. replay was about "well known bug" in unraid

ups, but you saw there is a workaround ...

sample

image.thumb.png.79a2d4310ab4522f466dc3108be6030e.png

45 minutes ago, MoherPower said:

and thx for link with fast boot. i have pro version not elite but with next restart i will check the option.

g luck therefore, too sad that it soesnt look to good for this combo ...

i also didnt expect that this could still be an issue ...

5 hours ago, MoherPower said:

I could go without GPU if this MB of mine would boot witout graphics.

3 hours ago, alturismo said:

GT1030

Don't forget about the Nvidia T400, Turing based card, doesn't need a extra power cable, can draw up to 35W and you can also use it for Emby/Jellyfin/Plex for transcoding or whatever... :)

You should be able to pick them up brand new for about 135,-

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...