Soon™️ 6.12 Series

starbetrayer

17 hours ago, ConnerVT said:

What happens if cache is 90%+ capacity and everything is less than 90 days old?

Mover would run daily. You'd have to define which is more important (maybe per share.) For the 'data downloads share' priority is to keep 65% (or whatever number you choose) on the SSD.

The idea of SSD's should be to use them not to just dump data to them and then move it to the array or another ZFS pool. which then leaves the SSD blank.

Mover tuning can do some basic customisations like only move certain files or files over certain days old but there's still nothing on a per share basis. However the author is going to write some custom scripts.

------------------------------

Essentially I am saying I would like 'ALL new folders' to be 'cached on SSD's' (because its fast) then anything that is not my data downloads share to move to the array daily/weekly (insert time point) for parity protection whilst my 'data downloads share' keeps itself around 65% full.

Maybe ZFS L2arc could play a part in all this in the future...

Edited by dopeytree

I just threw that out to make an example of how it can easily get complicated, trying to accommodate multiple different situations (and configurations) that someone could possibly wish to do.

Build a better mousetrap - Someone will come up with a better mouse.

That Limetech includes a basic Mover function in the software is great.  Keep it simple and reliable, and easily understood for the new, first time user.  But there is not anything I see in the mover's functionality that can't be written and enhanced with a script to do exactly what you desire.  With the benefit that if the script I write is flawed, it isn't spread through the entire Unraid user base.

• Like 1

in 6.12 - Are we able to display memory usage in GB as-well as percentage?

& also maybe explain or simply what RAM, FLASH, LOG & DOCKER numbers correlate to?

i.e Docker is not using 44% of 128GB.

Docker is using 44% of total usage which is 6%.

Double percentages are weird... 🤓

6% of 128 - 7.68

so 44% of 7.68 = 3.3792

so docker is using 3.37GB

Screenshot 2023-06-14 at 15.10.33.png

Edited by dopeytree
52 minutes ago, dopeytree said:

i.e Docker is not using 44% of 128GB.

Docker is using 44% of total usage which is 6%.

The Docker % is nothing to do with RAM.   It is the % of the space allocated to the docker image file that is currently being used (which has a default size of 20GB).  Similar comments apply to the flash and log percentages.

1 hour ago, dopeytree said:

It is under the section heading Memory..

Please can we add your info to the manual? https://docs.unraid.net/unraid-os/release-notes/6.12.0#dashboard

Screenshot 2023-06-14 at 17.49.20.png

Indeed !

It's confusing to talk about "storage" within the "memory" section!

This kind of information shouldn't be interpreted with the manual. The dashboard must suffice to itself.

Edited by gyto6

Thank you Limetech for granting our wish of more than 30 device ❤️ now we can all have a PB unraid server ❤️ ❤️ ❤️

and why is nobody talking abount Linux Multi-Gen LRU? what does it do will it improve ram usage in our usecase? specifically xfs file caching to ram.

Edited by jonathanselye
typo
  • Like 1
20 hours ago, JonathanM said:

Soon™ is feeling more and more imminent. Possibly in the next few days.

Perhaps it may even be time to start up the Soon™ 6.13 series thread with whatever speculations and rumours you have heard.

.- -. -.. / -- --- .-. . / .--. --- ... - ... / .-- .. - .... / -- --- .-. ... . .----. ... / -.-. --- -.. . -.-.--

• Like 1
15 hours ago, dopeytree said:

-... ..- -  -..-.  ..-. .. .-. ... -  -..-.  ..- ..-. --- .----. ...  -..-.  .... .- ...- .  -... . . -.  -..-.  -.. .. ... -.-. --- ...- . .-. . -..  -..-.  ... - . .- .-.. .. -. --.  -.-- --- ..- .-.  ... --- -.-. -.- ...  -..-. 

..- ..-. --- / -.. .. -.. -. .----. - / ... - . .- .-.. / -- -.-- / ... --- -.-. -.- ... .-.-.- .-.-.- .-.-.- / .. .----. -- / .- / .... --- -... -... .. - --..-- / .. / .- .-.. .-- .- -.-- ... / .-- .- .-.. -.- / ..-. --- --- - / -. .- -.- . -.. .-.-.-

• 3 weeks later...
On 2/23/2023 at 3:06 AM, JorgeB said:

There won't be GUI support for now but you should be able to import a pool with any of those vdev(s):

image.png

To add them to an existing Unraid pool, with the array started drop to the console and manually add the new devices, they should be unassigned at this point, then you just need to re-import the pool, to do that stop the array, unassign all pool devices, start array, stop array, re-assign all pool devices, now including the added vdev(s) and the pool should import again.

Does this still work? I was having issues adding a cache and a slog to my zfs pool. It would add, but once I rebooted the array would just hang and not start.

Currently on 6.12.2 atm

• Like 1
44 minutes ago, ConnerVT said:

Any rumors on the street if/when 6.12.3 might be released?  Soon™?

There seems to be rc1 available if you switch to the Next branch.    As to when it will reach Stable status will probably depend on whether rc1 fixes enough issues (without producing new ones) to justify this happening.

• Thanks 1
  • 2 weeks later...

Any rumors on the street if/when Soon™️ 6.13 Series might be released?  Soon™?

On 6/15/2023 at 7:51 AM, JonathanM said:

Soon™ is feeling more and more imminent. Possibly in the next few days.

Perhaps it may even be time to start up the Soon™ 6.13 series thread with whatever speculations and rumours you have heard.

19 minutes ago, jonathanselye said:

Any rumors on the street if/when Soon™️ 6.13 Series might be released?  Soon™?

Other than the fact is unlikely to be any time Soon™ I do not think we have any idea.  The major thing planned for 6.13 is rumoured to be making the main array a new pool type and allowing for any mix of pool types.    The only way I could see a quick 6.13 release is if this functionality was pushed back (e.g to 6.14) and the 6.13 release became instead about improving ZFS support.

Is anyone else's array not staying spun down? Having trouble working out exactly what's causing it other than it didn't happen in 6.11

Array is 3x XFS drives with 1 parity.

The 2nd ZFS cache pool (2x SSDs) goes to 'standby sleep' fine.

Culprit is not 'Plex' & not 'Disk Cache plugin'.

Edited by dopeytree
  • 3 weeks later...

On 1/11/2023 at 10:41 PM, limetech said:

You really want more than 30 devices in a single array?

Well, more than that I would like to have multiple arrays per server. Because than I could simply split up my Unraid into 2 arrays and the number limitations is kind of irrelevant.

Is there an ETA for the "multiple array" or multiple pools concept?

On 8/7/2023 at 7:17 PM, Raki72 said:

Well, more than that I would like to have multiple arrays per server. Because than I could simply split up my Unraid into 2 arrays and the number limitations is kind of irrelevant.

Is there an ETA for the "multiple array" or multiple pools concept?

I think it will be introduced in 6.13 which they said will be Sooner™