Unraid OS version 6.12.2 available

The 6.12.2 release includes a set of bug fixes, a security update, and downgrade of docker.  All users are encouraged to upgrade.

Please refer also to the 6.12.0 Announcement post.

As always, prior to upgrading, create a backup of your USB flash device:  "Main/Flash/Flash Device Settings" - click "Flash Backup".

Bugs: If you discover a bug or other issue in this release, please open a Stable Releases Bug Report and please attach your diagnostics.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

So my flash drive apperently decided to die when upgrading. Oh well.. 🥲

Update Plugin

plugin: updating: unRAIDServer.plg
plugin: downloading: unRAIDServer-6.12.2-x86_64.zip ... done
plugin: downloading: unRAIDServer-6.12.2-x86_64.md5 ... done

writing flash device - please wait...
Archive: /tmp/unRAIDServer.zip
inflating: /boot/unRAIDServer/bzfirmware
inflating: /boot/unRAIDServer/bzfirmware.sha256
inflating: /boot/unRAIDServer/bzimage
inflating: /boot/unRAIDServer/bzimage.sha256
inflating: /boot/unRAIDServer/bzmodules
inflating: /boot/unRAIDServer/bzmodules.sha256
inflating: /boot/unRAIDServer/bzroot
extracting: /boot/unRAIDServer/bzroot-gui
inflating: /boot/unRAIDServer/bzroot-gui.sha256
inflating: /boot/unRAIDServer/bzroot.sha256
inflating: /boot/unRAIDServer/changes.txt
inflating: /boot/unRAIDServer/license.txt
inflating: /boot/unRAIDServer/make_bootable.bat
inflating: /boot/unRAIDServer/make_bootable_linux
inflating: /boot/unRAIDServer/make_bootable_mac
inflating: /boot/unRAIDServer/memtest
inflating: /boot/unRAIDServer/syslinux/syslinux.cfg-
checking sha256 on /boot/unRAIDServer/bzfirmware
checking sha256 on /boot/unRAIDServer/bzimage
checking sha256 on /boot/unRAIDServer/bzmodules
*** bad sha256 on /boot/unRAIDServer/bzmodules
checking sha256 on /boot/unRAIDServer/bzroot-gui
*** bad sha256 on /boot/unRAIDServer/bzroot-gui
checking sha256 on /boot/unRAIDServer/bzroot
*** bad sha256 on /boot/unRAIDServer/bzroot
*** The upgrade failed, but no changes were made to your configuration.
*** Your USB Flash is likely failing.
plugin: run failed: '/bin/bash' returned 1
Executing hook script: post_plugin_checks

Edited by Niklas
23 minutes ago, Kilrah said:

What's the docker downgrade expected to solve?

all explained in the patch notes :

We reverted docker from v23.0.6, introduced during Unraid OS 6.12 development, to v20.10.24, which is the latest patch release of docker used in Unraid OS 6.11. This to address increased memory usage and other issues discovered with docker.

26 minutes ago, Arragon said:

Should docker default to macvlan again like in 6.11?

It was already changed to ipvlan in 6.11.4

1 hour ago, ChatNoir said:

Oof was looking in the list. Still, what "other issues"? Would be nice to know what they are...

Edited by Kilrah
3 hours ago, ChatNoir said:

Curious about this as well and I wouldn't classify that as "all explained".  Increased memory usage doesn't seem like a reason to revert unless it's a memory leak and don't know what these "other issues" are...

• Upvote 3

I've noticed more memory being used and was not sure why.  Still, I'm not so sure I want to revert to a much older patched Docker version.  I just did a lot of work rebuilding and renaming the cache pool that holds my dockers and libvert when I converted it to ZFS.  I'm not in the mood for something to go sideways after rebuilding my Dockers.  I also intentionally nuked my libvert and started from scratch, though I suppose this update should not matter for VM's?

I mean, is Docker going to go back to v23.x in unRAID 6.12.3?  I'm always positive on upgrades, but this one has me concerned.

That said, on 6.12.1 I do have this log issue that nobody answered about in the 6.12.1 thread.  Will 6.12.2 address this?

image.png.8ed80d62a5f7090cd19040b3a414775b.png

All that said, I guess I'm leaning towards upgrading to the downgraded docker.  Until a couple weeks ago I only had 64GB of RAM and it was usually only using 60% or so unless I was doing intense things.  Now I'm using 64GB at steady state without extra activities.

9 minutes ago, craigr said:

That said, on 6.12.1 I do have this log issue that nobody answered about in the 6.12.1 thread.  Will 6.12.2 address this?

The log filling up is abnormal behaviour.  Have you looked in the /var/log folder to see what is taking up too much space?   If it is the syslog file then you should look at the contents of that file to see if you have some sort of error message being continually repeated?  Without knowing the answer to those questions nobody is going to be able to know if the update might have addressed your issue.

• Thanks 1

Well I just went from 6.12.1 to 6.12.2 and my server crashed again just like when I went from 6.12.0 to 6.12.1.  Exact same thing:

I now have a new IPMI event that matches:

image.thumb.png.78774249d7e34d8ae4111223dd627a63.png

These two past upgrades are literally the only time this server has ever crashed.

8 hours ago, Niklas said:

So my flash drive apperently decided to die when upgrading. Oh well.. 🥲

I've been having the same for a while now on my HP Microserver Gen10. Replacing the USB drive did not solve this. After I run chkdsk on a Windows system on this drive, it updates normally, although it doesn't find any problems with the drive. I'm curious to know if you have the same experience once you done that.

29 minutes ago, itimpi said:

The log filling up is abnormal behaviour.  Have you looked in the /var/log folder to see what is taking up too much space?   If it is the syslog file then you should look at the contents of that file to see if you have some sort of error message being continually repeated?  Without knowing the answer to those questions nobody is going to be able to know if the update might have addressed your issue.

After going to 6.12.2 I'm back to this:

image.png.197a962cadfd30c68876cd20570eb2da.png

I guess I will have to wait to see if anything explodes in size in /var/log because right now there is nothing abnormal and no error messages.

41 minutes ago, itimpi said:

I think it might have been the FIle Activity addon log.  The log bar graph was getting higher as I sat here again.  I disabled File Activity and deleted its log and now it seems normal again.  Has something changed with unRAID 12 that may have made that plugin incompatible?  Because I've had it set the same way for a very long time.

I'm pretty sure the answer is "yes", but I want to confirm. 

If I run the upgrade with 3 dockers and a VM active, nothing will be interrupted, correct?

The reason I ask is the server shuts down for a few hours every night and then the smart home hub brings it back up via an outlet power cycle around 7:30AM. 

2 minutes ago, NAStyBox said:

I'm pretty sure the answer is "yes", but I want to confirm. 

If I run the upgrade with 3 dockers and a VM active, nothing will be interrupted, correct?

The reason I ask is the server shuts down for a few hours every night and then the smart home hub brings it back up via an outlet power cycle around 7:30AM. 

Nothing will be interrupted, but of course you'll have to reboot for the upgrade to take effect.  I'd want to be present during a first reboot after the OS is upgraded in case there is a problem.  So if it just reboots on a schedule, will you be comfortable with assuming it works?

• Upvote 1
38 minutes ago, craigr said:

Nothing will be interrupted, but of course you'll have to reboot for the upgrade to take effect.  I'd want to be present during a first reboot after the OS is upgraded in case there is a problem.  So if it just reboots on a schedule, will you be comfortable with assuming it works?

Thank you. Nah it won't change the recovery, lol. I was just confirming the upgrade thing because I have active DVR recordings at the moment, and it goes down at 3AM for a few hours after the last recording finishes. 

• Upvote 1

I was having problems with Remote Shares not being written to and from by Radarr and Plex after the update to version 6.12.1. Rebooting the dockers did not help. To be doubly safe I backed up the flash drive before and after updating to 6.12.2. After reboot I manually restarted each of the dockers I wanted running on all 3 servers.

My problems I had been having with the dockers are now gone. The docker downgrade is what I think solved my problem that simple reboots did not solve.

Thank you for finding and fixing the problem with the docker version. It appears to be working very well again.