Unraid OS version 6.12.3 available

Been a while since I updated my Unraid, I was still running `6.11.5` and just updated to `6.12.3`. Reboot took ages and now as it's back up I started the array and Unraid immediately started a parity check. Has this happened to someone else too? Normal behavior? Or should I check anything?

19 hours ago, Dr_Cox1911 said:

Been a while since I updated my Unraid, I was still running `6.11.5` and just updated to `6.12.3`. Reboot took ages and now as it's back up I started the array and Unraid immediately started a parity check. Has this happened to someone else too? Normal behavior? Or should I check anything?

Did you follow the instructions in the first post to this thread before rebooting?

I  have encountered an unusual thing when I went to set the Minimum Free Space for a Share.  This is wht I entered:

image.png.bb59beadadf7eaa31d46918df1924afa.png

and this what I got after I clicked on the APPLY button:

image.thumb.png.b12803c8e95466a3e640378d5176dc61.png

(I did click on the entry header to display the 'HELP' for this setting.) 

I tried other entries (ex: 40GB~8.2%  and 50000MB~10.2%) and still got a percentage for this setting as shown.   Is this correct?  If it is correct what the percentage represent?  (Yes, I know that a bit of math will indicate that it is 490.2GB!  But where does that number come from?)

I also tried this on my other server and the percentages for the same GB values were the same.  So it has nothing to do with disk size... 

Hello,

I currently run Unraid on an old HP MicroServer N40L and the 6.11.x releases were working fine on my server. However, attempting to upgrade to 6.12.x appears to break the boot sequence. It doesn't even get to the boot menu, and it feels symptomatic of a misconfigured MBR.

I've experienced this both through upgrading via the GUI and a clean, fresh install using the Unraid USB Creator tool. If I downgrade back to 6.11.x (again using Unraid USB Creator) it boots back up normally as I would expect.

What has actually changed in the 6.12.x in terms of booting up that has fundamentally broken it for older hardware such as mine?

On 7/17/2023 at 4:39 AM, bonienl said:

We are collecting as much information as possible about the macvlan issue and are looking into getting the Linux kernel developers involved to find a solution. Rest assurred, we also want this issue to be solved.

I wanted to check in how is this debugging going? are we any closer to "a fix" for this macvlan issue?

My unraid server started crashing today with it.

• Upvote 1
On 8/13/2023 at 12:32 PM, RandomTask said:

Hello,

I currently run Unraid on an old HP MicroServer N40L and the 6.11.x releases were working fine on my server. However, attempting to upgrade to 6.12.x appears to break the boot sequence. It doesn't even get to the boot menu, and it feels symptomatic of a misconfigured MBR.

I've experienced this both through upgrading via the GUI and a clean, fresh install using the Unraid USB Creator tool. If I downgrade back to 6.11.x (again using Unraid USB Creator) it boots back up normally as I would expect.

What has actually changed in the 6.12.x in terms of booting up that has fundamentally broken it for older hardware such as mine?

I'm running nine of those old HP Microservers with unRAID. One N36L, five N40L, and three N54L units. 

They are all running unRAID 6.12.3 without any issues.

But I also typically upgrade my unRAID OS as soon as they are out of beta, and available for general use. So I did not go straight from 6.11.x to 6.12.3

Edited by aaronwt

Bite the bullet and upgraded from 6.11.1 to 6.12.3  Very smooth and had to re-install the IPMI and NUT from Simon.

My only complaint is that my dashboard is all messed up? Things moved around a bit? Is there a way I can customize my dashboard? besides the little lock and moving things around. Can I shrink the column? 

Thanks

Edited by IonelChila
On 8/15/2023 at 10:07 PM, aaronwt said:

I'm running nine of those old HP Microservers with unRAID. One N36L, five N40L, and three N54L units. 

They are all running unRAID 6.12.3 without any issues.

But I also typically upgrade my unRAID OS as soon as they are out of beta, and available for general use. So I did not go straight from 6.11.x to 6.12.3

I've managed to incrementally get up to 6.12.2 by doing the manual upgrade method of copying the bz files to the root of the USB stick. Haven't attempted to do the same for 6.12.3 yet.

In this version or a previous version(s) was a decision taken to install the third party plugin Unassigned Devices (or components of it) by default?

I ask as I got this in the syslog this week:

Aug 17 07:02:38 unraid nginx: 2023/08/17 07:02:38 [error] 5368#5368: *1417305 FastCGI sent in stderr: "Primary script unknown" while reading response header from upstream, client: X.X.X.X, server: , request: "POST /plugins/unassigned.devices/UnassignedDevices.php HTTP/1.1", upstream: "fastcgi://unix:/var/run/php5-fpm.sock:", host: "host.local"

Note the "/plugins/unassigned.devices/UnassignedDevices.php" bit.

I do not have this plugin installed nor have I installed it since installing unraid clean a couple of weeks ago.I had a look in /boot/config/plugins/ and its not there, as I would expect having not installed it.

7 hours ago, danioj said:

In this version or a previous version(s) was a decision taken to install the third party plugin Unassigned Devices (or components of it) by default?

No.  Nothing in UD is installed in the core Unraid.  The only way that would happen is if UD was installed.

On 7/15/2023 at 2:19 AM, Michael Schmitz said:

I see nothing related to macvlan in the notes, so no bugfix here for the complete system crashes occurring since 6.12 there?

I cannot switch to ipvlan unfortunately as separate MACs are required for my usecase/ router.

Did you get any news on this ?

Thanks!

11 hours ago, dlandon said:

No.  Nothing in UD is installed in the core Unraid.  The only way that would happen is if UD was installed.

I can assure you Dan it’s not installed. I did a usb wipe just a couple of weeks ago and a clean install and only installed 5 plugins - UAD was not one of them. 

I have Problems under 6.12 with a UD USB Disk with btrfs.

Aug 20 02:31:49 Lucy kernel: I/O error, dev sdm, sector 175136 op 0x0:(READ) flags 0x1000 phys_seg 4 prio class 2
Aug 20 02:31:49 Lucy kernel: btrfs_dev_stat_inc_and_print: 6 callbacks suppressed
Aug 20 02:31:49 Lucy kernel: BTRFS error (device sdm1: state EA): bdev /dev/sdm1 errs: wr 0, rd 431, flush 0, corrupt 0, gen 0
Aug 20 02:31:49 Lucy kernel: I/O error, dev sdm, sector 2272288 op 0x0:(READ) flags 0x1000 phys_seg 4 prio class 2
Aug 20 02:31:49 Lucy kernel: BTRFS error (device sdm1: state EA): bdev /dev/sdm1 errs: wr 0, rd 432, flush 0, corrupt 0, gen 0
Aug 20 02:31:49 Lucy kernel: I/O error, dev sdm, sector 175136 op 0x0:(READ) flags 0x1000 phys_seg 4 prio class 2
Aug 20 02:31:49 Lucy kernel: BTRFS error (device sdm1: state EA): bdev /dev/sdm1 errs: wr 0, rd 433, flush 0, corrupt 0, gen 0

Under 6.11 i have no Problems!

The UD Disk works for a undefined while when i Reboot the Unraid Server or Connect to another PC like Linux and than connect back to Unraid.

Under UD have the Disk no Errors.

I can umount, but not mount again. After the Steps above i can mounted.

182523115_Bildschirmfotovom2023-08-2002-42-01.png.9f6d107bb40b4984edec2c4841c45243.png1197866771_Bildschirmfotovom2023-08-2002-41-31.thumb.png.1a6ebac9765e544746c36c76e1418ab3.png

How does parity checks work with ZFS pools?

I noticed the other day after a forced shutdown the party check was only the main drives not the ZFS pools.. one of my ZFS pools is 4drives in raid z1.

Does it just happen live by the nature of the zfs filesystem? so no need for party checks on zfs?

Edited by dopeytree
14 minutes ago, dopeytree said:

Parity check is only for the array, independent of the filesystem(s) used.

15 minutes ago, dopeytree said:

so no need for party checks on zfs?

Not a bad idea to run a scrub, but in theory it's not needed.

17 minutes ago, dopeytree said:

I noticed the other day after a forced shutdown the party check was only the main drives not the ZFS pools.. one of my ZFS pools is 4drives in raid z1.

Does it just happen live by the nature of the zfs filesystem? so no need for party checks on zfs?

Parity checks of the Unraid type only apply to the main Unraid array.

Parity is handled completely differently on btrfs and ZFS based arrays.    You would need to read up on those particular file systems to understand how they handle parity, and also the internal checks they have to detect corruption.   The closest comparison to a parity check is the scrub operations.