Newzbin and others shut down

squirrellydw

Incase you didn't see this, Newzbin is gone.

It is with regret that we announce the closure of Newzbin2.

A combination of several factors has made this the only option. For a long time we have struggled with poor indexing of Usenet, poor numbers of reports caused by the majority of our editors dropping out & no-one replacing them. Our servers have been unstable and crashing on a regular basis meaning the NZBs & NFOs are unavailable for long periods and we don't have the money to replace them.

Newzbin2 was always hoped to be a viable underground commercial venture. The figures just don't stack up. Newzbin1 was said to have had 700,000 registered users. In fact that was the total number of people who ever signed up in the history of Newzbin from 2000 onwards & only a fraction were active, loads of people dropped out & went to other sites. We reckon they had about 100,000 users and of those only a few 10's of thousands paid premium topups.That still made good money for the Newzbin1 guys. We never quite got the trust and lots of people said "Newzbin2 is an MPA trap", that stung us bad and we never got the userbase back. We don't have much more than about 40000 active users and the number of premium users is in the small thousands. It costs much more to run than we bring in, It just doesn't stack up.

To make things worse all our payment providers dropped out or started running scared. The MPA sued Paypal and are going at our innocent payment provider Kthxbai Ltd in the UK. Our other payment provider has understandably lost their nerve. Result? We have no more payment providers to offer & no realistic means of taking money (no, Bitcoin isn't credible as it's just too hard for 90% of people).

The tragedy is this: unlike Newzbin1 we are 100% DMCA compliant. We have acted on every DMCA notice we received without stalling or playing games: if there was a DMCA complaint the report was gone. Period. That was a condition of our advertising & payment partners so we complied but we never got a single complaint from the MPA. Not one.

Will we be back? not as a search service but we might run a blog from this site at some point.

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How does NZBS.ORG stay in business? They haven't been accepting new registrations for over a year I think. Even as a member you can't offer a friend an account either. Are they like a non-profit or something? There are several other places that are excellent and don't require such "mystery". These days pretty much anyone can put up an index site.

How does NZBS.ORG stay in business? They haven't been accepting new registrations for over a year I think. Even as a member you can't offer a friend an account either. Are they like a non-profit or something? There are several other places that are excellent and don't require such "mystery". These days pretty much anyone can put up an index site.

I'm also guessing that members will donate if the community is good enough. There are plenty of torrent sites that have been closed for registration for a very long time but the members always end up donating to cover fees.

They probably also have a relatively small community to support.

On a similar side note, does anyone have a dognzb invite? That would be swell!

Ah it's sad to see nzbmatrix go, but the 'whack-a-mole' game between leechers and corporations will go on. 

At the risk of starting an I'm-older-than-you war, I think back fondly to the time before the Internet.  I've been in the scene for as long as I can remember.  Well no, that's a lie.  Early 80's to be precise.  You've not lived until you're connected at 300bps to a BBS only to spend whole days online grabbing the latest release.

Tsk, kid's today eh  ;)

and it continues... nzbmatrix just shut down, too

Sad sad day. dognzb has stopped invites for now.  Any other index sites out there? Invite only??? PM please.

Add nzbr.us to the dead list.

Nzbdotsu is sill up, just logged in. Probably mysterbin and binsearch as well.  I would like an invite to Dogniz as well. I am not sure if they have implemented a invite system yet.