[Plugin] unbalanced

Hi there !

I've seen a few exchanges on this thread about support for "unassigned devices" disks.

I'm a new unraid user, and I have about 8 TB of data to copy to my newly installed Unraid!
I used Unbalance to move data from a "POC" disk to my unraid cluster, and this tool convinced me not to use the rsync scripts I had prepared... 

My question is simple, does Unbalance now support unassigned disks?

When I connect my disk and go into unbalance, I unfortunately don't have the option of selecting it.
If anyone would like, I can also share my copy scripts.

Thanks !

6 hours ago, MAM59 said:

Nono, you got me wrong.

The setting I have in mind forbids the spreading up to a certain level of subfolders. You have to turn it off allowing the plugin to spread any level below data.

The default is to keep folders together.

Oh, I see Where is this setting? I don't see anything in the plugin itself. Every directory it says is too big

Screenshot 2023-08-03 at 7.55.41 PM.png

Edited by FlyingTexan

Ok so I managed to get it to pass the PLAN phase without having any errors. I had to go down several directories. /data wouldn't work but /data/media/movies would.  My guess is because of how it structures it. It could then take the file sizes of each movie and put it in the appropriate directories (I'm hoping).  This seems a bit of an oversight but glad it's at least something that can still work. 

I just installed it again (could not look for the setting before). It seems I was wrong, there is no actual setting, seems to be a builtin feature.

But you already found the "full control manual" solution, select only a subfolder that is acceptable for plan, do move and then create a new plan with different subfolders and different target drives.

Those days I thought it was a bug that unbalance has split the folders among several targets (I had only selected ONE drive but the plan filled up TWO).

I've ended up thinking the file list (actually the folder list) became too long for the script to be handled, so I copied fewer folders in several sessions.

• 2 weeks later...

Question on data moving, I am in the process of converting to ifs so I was hoping to use unbalance as my method. However, whenever I try moving data from Drive A to Drive B-H (for example) it complains I do not have enough space to do it.

Drive A is 14TB and I have for example 15.5TB free on my server (started with around 20TB). I get the following "error" (yes its not an error):

PLANNING: Planning started
PLANNING: Scanning data/media on /mnt/disk5
PLANNING: Checking issues ...
PLANNING: Getting items ...
PLANNING: Found /mnt/disk5/data/media/tv (1.57 TB)
PLANNING: Found /mnt/disk5/data/media/movies (5.77 TB)
PLANNING: Found /mnt/disk5/data/media/movies-4k (6.00 B)
PLANNING: Found /mnt/disk5/data/media/tv-kids (32.12 GB)
PLANNING: Found /mnt/disk5/data/media/music (6.00 B)
PLANNING: Trying to allocate items to disk12 ...
PLANNING: Trying to allocate items to disk11 ...
PLANNING: Trying to allocate items to disk2 ...
PLANNING: Trying to allocate items to disk8 ...
PLANNING: Trying to allocate items to disk3 ...
PLANNING: Trying to allocate items to disk6 ...
PLANNING: Trying to allocate items to disk4 ...
PLANNING: Trying to allocate items to disk7 ...
PLANNING: Trying to allocate items to disk14 ...
PLANNING: Trying to allocate items to disk10 ...
PLANNING: Trying to allocate items to disk9 ...
PLANNING: Trying to allocate items to disk13 ...
PLANNING: Trying to allocate items to disk1 ...
PLANNING: Ended: Aug 14, 2023 11:51:22
PLANNING: Elapsed: 0s
PLANNING: The following items will not be transferred, because there's not enough space in the target disks:
PLANNING: data/media/movies
PLANNING: data/media/tv
PLANNING: Planning Finished

Do I have something in my share or drive settings causing it not to allow my current drives to accept files, like a threshold of sorts? I did try adjusting the share minimum free space to no avail. Each drive has between 400GB and 2TB free. Also, the unbalance app limit is set to 512MB.

Edited by wickedathletes
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
18 minutes ago, vw-kombi said:

Just put unbalance on my new backup unraid server - I cant until the dry run - nothing happens.

Tries on my live server and it is not tickable there either.

Whats going on ?

Never mind - its working now......  Has to be at the right place - cant just tick it any old time!  

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Hi there, new to UnBalance and trying to use it to clear an array disk to reformat it from XFS to ZFS.  Unfortunately, when I click on the "plan" option with the "from" and "to" drives selected, everything else unselected, and a few shares to test selected, I get the "wait" animated icon in the top corner but I never see the planning log. The log page itself doesn't seem to display anything either. Once I hit "plan" with the "dry run" option still selected, it doesn't seem to be doing anything else after a good hour of waiting. Am I missing some option?

I turned off the server for the time being through the plugin GUI interface. Anything else I need to do to make sure the Unbalance server is not still stuck in a loop or anything in the background?

Hello,

I was using Gather to move stuff from an older 3TB (disk 4) drive onto my new 14TB (disk 1) drive. I did the dry run and had green checkmarks for all the files and folders. Once I did the actual run, I had yellow checkmarks for some items. When the run completed, I got this:

image.png.d19c65e2813277c5a193ee6dd1aa1d94.png

So I went to go look at the files in "/mnt/disk 4" they aren't there anymore

Where did the files go and what can I do to prevent this from happening again?

On 12/11/2023 at 4:29 AM, Alyred said:

Hi there, new to UnBalance and trying to use it to clear an array disk to reformat it from XFS to ZFS.  Unfortunately, when I click on the "plan" option with the "from" and "to" drives selected, everything else unselected, and a few shares to test selected, I get the "wait" animated icon in the top corner but I never see the planning log. The log page itself doesn't seem to display anything either. Once I hit "plan" with the "dry run" option still selected, it doesn't seem to be doing anything else after a good hour of waiting. Am I missing some option?

I turned off the server for the time being through the plugin GUI interface. Anything else I need to do to make sure the Unbalance server is not still stuck in a loop or anything in the background?

hi, it probably got stuck or crashed, try the following

killall unbalance
/usr/local/emhttp/plugins/unbalance/unbalance -port 6237

then monitor the output in the command line to get a clue

19 hours ago, LanceM26 said:

Hello,

I was using Gather to move stuff from an older 3TB (disk 4) drive onto my new 14TB (disk 1) drive. I did the dry run and had green checkmarks for all the files and folders. Once I did the actual run, I had yellow checkmarks for some items. When the run completed, I got this:

image.png.d19c65e2813277c5a193ee6dd1aa1d94.png

So I went to go look at the files in "/mnt/disk 4" they aren't there anymore

Where did the files go and what can I do to prevent this from happening again?

yes, that's strange, when you get that warning unbalance specifically didn't remove source files/folder.

did you run back to back operations ?

do the logs show anything unusual ?

• 2 weeks later...
48 minutes ago, 2Cents said:

Question on unbalance. 

I recently installed the unbalance plug in and used successfully. Then later added a couple new cache drives. Now I'm not seeing the new drives in unbalance. Is there something I have to do to refresh it?

hi, cache pools are currently not properly detected, the last time i checked there wasn't a way to know which disks were part of a pool, so unbalance just plays it "safe" (reports the 1st disk)

not sure if there have been changes recently, but i'll be looking into it now that i'm making some changes to the app

• Thanks 3

Hi, I have an unBALANACE question that I saw a vague answer of somewhere else and wanted to get more details.
Can I keep Plex running while using the Gather function to move 4.8TB of data from 2 drives to 1?

It's all video files, and I want to move them from my disk1 & disk2 to disk3, but when I tried it unBALANCE said it would take 20 hours.
I have several friends and family who use my Plex daily and I would prefer not to take it offline for that long.

Thanks in advance

2 hours ago, Daxter said:

Hi, I have an unBALANACE question that I saw a vague answer of somewhere else and wanted to get more details.
Can I keep Plex running while using the Gather function to move 4.8TB of data from 2 drives to 1?

It's all video files, and I want to move them from my disk1 & disk2 to disk3, but when I tried it unBALANCE said it would take 20 hours.
I have several friends and family who use my Plex daily and I would prefer not to take it offline for that long.

Thanks in advance

hi, the main issue for asking to run unbalance without other plugins/dockers running is a matter of space:

if unbalance calculated drive1 had enough free space to gather all files, but then some new data is stored on that drive, reducing the free space, the operation may fail (it may not, if there's enough space).

so, to answer the question, if you're just streaming from plex (reading data), you should be ok, the operation may be slower perhaps.

• jbrodriguez changed the title to [Plugin] unbalanced