[Plugin] NUT v2 - Network UPS Tools

dmacias

9 minutes ago, Rysz said:

Just to follow up on this, you also upgraded the plugin and didn't restart after - right?

Correct.

I just uninstalled the plugin and reinstalled and now the settings page isn't coming up at all, just blank white. Going to reboot and see if that fixes things.

Thanks, the problem with the files not patching properly before a reboot should be fixed with the next update - it's likely due to locked files when NUT processes are still running while doing the upgrade. At the moment if you're experiencing problems a reboot should resolve them.

Edited by Rysz
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
8 hours ago, Peuuuur Noel said:

but there is something in the code that prevents it.

1 hour ago, Rysz said:

Should be fixed in the next update

This was done on purpose and for two reasons.

When I added this to the plugin I was working on small screens remote and I was constantly hovering over it and it kind of bugged me that this always pops up and the second thing was that it made no sense to me to show a tooltip that shows exactly the same.

The whole point for the footer style Small was to make it minimalistic, maybe I should have call it Minimal instead of Small.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Hi all,

I must admit I am not sure where to put this question up for consideration, but I've been trying to integrate an `Armac` UPS which is a subdriver of `nutdrv_qx`.

It doesn't seem to work with generic UPS UNRAID integration, indicating Lost Connection. This is while on NUT I get between a rock and a hard place with one driver `nutdrv_qx` not having the `armac` subdriver available and the `richcomm_usb` failing to connect. Important to note, though, that a piece of archaic Windows software written by the Richcomm company `Power Manager II` is able to read all the values from it, so it's not the cable or the UPS itself.
image.png.ac417a08e1e55fc8f060c4637c207391.png

Here is what I have so far,
https://github.com/networkupstools/nut/issues/1978
and have been told by the NUT maintainers it should be mostly OK from their side and this should be a release onto UNRAID issue.
I guess it's some combination of official NUT being ahead in some PRs to UNRAID, or a branching issue? Any chance you could have a look @SimonF? I am hoping to liaise as best I can between the two maintainer groups, though that's probably where my technical capabilities end.

Thank you in advance!!

2 hours ago, ich777 said:

This was done on purpose and for two reasons.

When I added this to the plugin I was working on small screens remote and I was constantly hovering over it and it kind of bugged me that this always pops up and the second thing was that it made no sense to me to show a tooltip that shows exactly the same.

The whole point for the footer style Small was to make it minimalistic, maybe I should have call it Minimal instead of Small.

If you say it like that, that does make sense.

I'll also comment it into the pull request.

• Like 2
1 hour ago, secretstorage said:

Hi all,

I must admit I am not sure where to put this question up for consideration, but I've been trying to integrate an `Armac` UPS which is a subdriver of `nutdrv_qx`.

It doesn't seem to work with generic UPS UNRAID integration, indicating Lost Connection. This is while on NUT I get between a rock and a hard place with one driver `nutdrv_qx` not having the `armac` subdriver available and the `richcomm_usb` failing to connect. Important to note, though, that a piece of archaic Windows software written by the Richcomm company `Power Manager II` is able to read all the values from it, so it's not the cable or the UPS itself.
image.png.ac417a08e1e55fc8f060c4637c207391.png

Here is what I have so far,
https://github.com/networkupstools/nut/issues/1978
and have been told by the NUT maintainers it should be mostly OK from their side and this should be a release onto UNRAID issue.
I guess it's some combination of official NUT being ahead in some PRs to UNRAID, or a branching issue? Any chance you could have a look @SimonF? I am hoping to liaise as best I can between the two maintainer groups, though that's probably where my technical capabilities end.

Thank you in advance!!

You're not running the 2.8.0 package which has those drivers included.

Please uninstall the plugin, ideally restart the server, manually install 2.8.0 version:

https://raw.githubusercontent.com/SimonFair/NUT-unRAID/master/plugin/nut-2.8.0.plg

grafik.thumb.png.f46fde8dd930b3be4bc4768089c2366c.png

Then set it up as follows:

grafik.thumb.png.21028ccd09781169f5f7f3e60ad994d9.png

It should detect it out of the box with the 2.8.0 version - please let us know here.

• Like 1
23 minutes ago, warp760 said:

grafik.png.ab22fea438f7e3d06a8a1b8d2f0e0a8c.png

That's not an error of the script, that's what your UPS reports to the driver.

Those messages are put into the syslog by the NUT services (the upsmon daemon).

What UPS are you using, what UPS driver and how is it connected (USB, Serial) to your server? Is there any indication (beeps, LEDs ...) that your UPS is maybe really switching between line/battery here?

Edited by Rysz
Just now, warp760 said:

I don't think so... with the original plugin there are no problems at all. The UPS is also working normally. I'm not the only one with this problem.

Sorry but "I'm not the only one with this problem" is not very helpful to pinpoint the cause.

We would need to know what UPS you are using and what UPS driver your NUT is configured for. A screenshot of the NUT settings page could be helpful too (you can black out your serial number) to identify any problems with the driver.

Again, this is not an error message, this is a status that apparently the NUT driver thinks it's receiving from the UPS. It's not the plugin that puts those messages into the syslog, it's the NUT daemon in connection with the NUT driver.

If by the original plugin working you mean the in-built acupsd that is using a different protocol and driver. If that works for you, it's likely the NUT driver is not playing well with your UPS, but we'd need to know the details there.

• Like 1
3 minutes ago, warp760 said:

My UPS: VI 1000 RT HID

grafik.png.c6b37384cbfee6a79f5ecd24ee383901.png

You could probably also benefit from running 2.8.0 according to your GitHub issue:

https://github.com/networkupstools/nut/issues/569

Please uninstall the plugin, ideally restart the server, manually install 2.8.0 version:

https://raw.githubusercontent.com/SimonFair/NUT-unRAID/master/plugin/nut-2.8.0.plg

grafik.png.224b2e40c22b7fe756d1426cd271cef4.png

Then please report back here if it works with the 2.8.0 version of NUT

3 hours ago, Rysz said:

You're not running the 2.8.0 package which has those drivers included.

grafik.thumb.png.f46fde8dd930b3be4bc4768089c2366c.png

Then set it up as follows:

grafik.thumb.png.21028ccd09781169f5f7f3e60ad994d9.png

It should detect it out of the box with the 2.8.0 version - please let us know here.

Thank you very much for the info. I must admit I am really confused by the versioning, since the plugin installed seemed to have a lot of recent work, so I had no clue what is considered 'latest'.

I am currently running a parity check, so can't restart the server. Would you recommend waiting until tomorrow for it to finish and then restart, or is it 'safe' to try installing 2.8.0 without a restart in between.

The versioning in the NUT server plug available in the Apps menu is in the 2023.07.XX, while this branch is using the original 2.X.X version scheme. Does this mean there are two different maintainers of NUT for UNRAID and at some point some PRs will work in one but not the other branch?

Thank you again!!

19 minutes ago, secretstorage said:

Thank you very much for the info. I must admit I am really confused by the versioning, since the plugin installed seemed to have a lot of recent work, so I had no clue what is considered 'latest'.

I am currently running a parity check, so can't restart the server. Would you recommend waiting until tomorrow for it to finish and then restart, or is it 'safe' to try installing 2.8.0 without a restart in between.

The versioning in the NUT server plug available in the Apps menu is in the 2023.07.XX, while this branch is using the original 2.X.X version scheme. Does this mean there are two different maintainers of NUT for UNRAID and at some point some PRs will work in one but not the other branch?

Thank you again!!

You can install the plugin without a restart (I just tend to recommend it so there can be no traces of the "old" 2.7.4 backend messing with the "new" 2.8.0 backend). The worst thing that could happen is that it's not working until you restart the server, but it's not likely to happen overall.

Regarding the versioning - both "flavours" (default 2.7.4 / experimental 2.8.0) of the plugin always have all the recent changes. They use exactly identical code (same code package) as far as the plugin itself is concerned, just the backend service is different. NUT 2.7.4 has been the most used and stable for a long while, while NUT 2.8.0 is newer but also offers useful fixes. Down the line I'm guessing (although of course it's up to the repository owner) NUT 2.8.0 will become the default backend at some point.

I'm actually thinking about kicking off a pull request on GitHub where we can discuss what's needed for a smooth transition to NUT 2.8.0, so we can streamline the effort to fix any open problems before updating the backend of the default package to NUT 2.8.0.

Please do report back if 2.8.0 has fixed the problem with your UPS.

Edited by Rysz
  • Like 1

I just installed it without a server reboot, and it seems that my case falls under the 'it's not going to work without a restart' category because I am getting some presumable permissions issue:

Can't open /etc/ups/ups.conf: Can't open /etc/ups/ups.conf: No such file or directory

This is while the conf file is clearly present and editable from their GUI, as well as it's modified in real time by GUI changes.

Would you consider it a restart based issue, or something more sinister?

BTW, thank you for a crystal clear explanation of the versioning and the plan moving forward! I would love it if many paid-for-services had such a level of 'support' let alone just a bunch of people helping each other out in their free time!

• Rysz featured this topic