[Plugin] NUT v2 - Network UPS Tools

dmacias

On 8/6/2023 at 5:22 AM, ur136261 said:

I am having a problem with the Turn off UPS after shutdown setting with a usbhid-ups driver in standalone mode. I have tested running upscmd ups load.off.delay 20 in the web terminal and that works so I know the USB shutdown command works it is just not being run on shutdown. It looks like at shutdown it is unmounting the folders before the shutdown command can be run. 

Unmounting local file systems:
/usr: successfully unmounted
Restarting udev to be able to shut the UPS inverter off...
/etc/rc.d/rc.nut: line 277: /etc/rc.d/rc.udev: No such file or directory
Shutting down UPS driver...
/etc/rc.d/rc.nut: line 240: /usr/sbin/upsdrvctl: No such file or directory
reboot: Power down

On 7/21/2023 at 8:02 PM, yonesmit said:

Hi,

Is really this plugin turning off UPS for you when there is a power outage?

In my tests the UPS is not turned off but it was working in previous versions of Unraid or plugin when I initially setup.

Why it does not turn off UPS?

Because when it tries to do it is in rc.6 running the command:

[ -x /etc/rc.d/rc.nut ] && /etc/rc.d/rc.nut shutdown

this runs rc.nut with parameter shutdown, so in this script it executes:

/usr/sbin/upsdrvctl shutdown

The problem is: at this point of rc.6 the drives are unmounted so upsdrvctl is not found.

Please can somebody confirm if his UPS is  turned off? Mine is not and can't be done.

Thanks in advance

Best Regards,

There's a fix available as release candidate now, can you test if it works now?

On 7/31/2023 at 1:24 AM, jcofer555 said:

still getting tons and tons of 
Jul 30 16:12:12 unraid usbhid-ups[25328]: nut_libusb_get_string: Pipe error. Jul 30 16:12:44 unraid usbhid-ups[25328]: nut_libusb_get_report: Input/Output Error. Jul 30 16:13:50 unraid usbhid-ups[25328]: nut_libusb_get_report: Input/Output Error. Jul 30 16:16:00 unraid usbhid-ups[25328]: nut_libusb_get_report: Input/Output Error. Jul 30 16:19:15 unraid usbhid-ups[25328]: nut_libusb_get_report: Input/Output Error. Jul 30 16:20:19 unraid usbhid-ups[25328]: nut_libusb_get_string: Pipe error.

everything works fine but it is taking up huge chunks of my logs, any way to disable to message or a solution to make them go away entirely? i've uploaded diagnostics if that helps

edit: i also get alot of 
Jul 29 21:25:13 unraid upsmon[25356]: Poll UPS [[email protected]] failed - Data stale Jul 29 21:25:15 unraid upsd[25352]: UPS [ups] data is no longer stale Jul 29 21:25:18 unraid upsmon[25356]: Communications with UPS [email protected] established if that's of any relation

unraid-diagnostics-20230730-1624.zip 153.96 kB · 2 downloads

nut-diagnostics.dev 957 B · 5 downloads

On 8/1/2023 at 6:04 AM, song said:

My UPS model is BK650M2, When I upgraded to version 6.11.5, the plugin was running normally and there were no errors in the logs. However, after upgrading to 6.12.3, the old version of the plugin became unusable and I used the new version of "Network UPS Tools". Since then, it has been continuously reporting errors and a large number of warning messages have appeared in the logs. Recently, after upgrading to the latest version 2.8.0 of "Network UPS Tools", the UPS has started to lose connection and must be manually reloaded The 'Network UPS Tools' can only be reconnected after a period of time, but the connection will still be lost. I tried uninstalling and reinstalling' Network UPS Tools', but after a night, it did not disconnect again, but warning messages kept appearing again.

This is a warning message after disconnecting

iShot_2023-08-01_12_01_43.thumb.png.1d2e8096f971d0e0d9f44985f1382470.png

This is a constantly occurring warning message

iShot_2023-08-01_12_03_35.thumb.png.2a7584420db9b9a92c125ff20465b67e.png

This is the plugin's settings page

iShot_2023-08-01_12_05_37.thumb.png.c73c8f15378bd6f5eac465923f815adf.png

For the two of you and anyone else already on 2.8.0 but still experiencing incompatibility or problems with their UPS: I've compiled a more recent 2.8.0 backend package with the latest commits and changes based on the current state of the GitHub master branch (as of 24.08.2023), feel free to test if these upstream changes resolve your problems and please do report back here.

A ton of bug fixes and changes have been made to the upstream NUT project since the NUT backend package (currently shipping with the NUT plugin) was last built (back on 30.04.2022), so it's definitely worth trying if you're still frustrated over something not working as intended. 🙂

If you do not have any problems, I suggest sticking with what you have installed.

How to install this experimental version with the new backend?

Here's a screenshot to illustrate the process:grafik.thumb.png.0a9716d30d9253166fde50442156c263.png

Edited by Rysz
  • Thanks 1
36 minutes ago, Rysz said:

For the two of you and anyone else still experiencing incompatibility or problems with their UPS: I've compiled a recent package with the latest changes from the GitHub master (as of 24.08.2023), feel free to test if the upstream changes resolve your problems and please do report back here. A few bug fixes and changes have been made to the upstream NUT project since the last package was built, so it's worth an attempt if you're still frustrated over something. 🙂

Although I didn't reported it I also had problems with previous 2.8.0 plugin. It detect my UPS as another subdriver and the shutdown command fails.

I tested with other more recent versions of 2.8.0 and it works. And also works OK with your new version!!! I think that the 2.8.0 version used in previous plugin was very old.

Please use this version of Network UPS Tools with 2.8.0 plugin and would be great if there is some way to update it when new versions appear, or to the latest git version...

Thanks for your work

Best Regards

On 8/24/2023 at 10:28 AM, yonesmit said:

Although I didn't reported it I also had problems with previous 2.8.0 plugin. It detect my UPS as another subdriver and the shutdown command fails.

I tested with other more recent versions of 2.8.0 and it works. And also works OK with your new version!!! I think that the 2.8.0 version used in previous plugin was very old.

Please use this version of Network UPS Tools with 2.8.0 plugin and would be great if there is some way to update it when new versions appear, or to the latest git version...

Thanks for your work

Best Regards

Can you confirm which version of the package you used.

aloha

im trying to use my USP for 2 devices with autoshutdown. Unraid and OPNsense.

What's the best way to achieve this? 

My current status is that the UPS is directly connected to my unraid server via usb.
But then I can't get a connection to the Unraid server on the OPNsense.

So is it better to connect the UPS directly to the OPNsense and unraid as a client?

Thanks in advance

Edited by D0bby
21 minutes ago, D0bby said:

aloha

im trying to use my USP for 2 devices with autoshutdown. Unraid and OPNsense.

What's the best way to achieve this? 

My current status is that the UPS is directly connected to my unraid server via usb.
But then I can't get a connection to the Unraid server on the OPNsense.

So is it better to connect the UPS directly to the OPNsense and unraid as a client?

Thanks in advance

Have you setup Unraid as a netserver?

maybe post screen prints or configs.

2 hours ago, SimonF said:

Can you confirm which version of the package you used.

The versions that works ok for me are: 

- any plugin using 2.7.4 networkupstools

- Rysz plugin running 2.8.0 (latest version) found in this post:

The problem is 2.7.4 is quite old and 2.8.0 is being developed since a lot of time so you can find many different versions. The first ones (like the ones used in your 2.8.0 version) don't work correctly with my UPS.

That's why i say that would be good to update the package frequently, not only the plugin.

Thanks for your work.

Best Regards

Edited by yonesmit
On 8/26/2023 at 6:20 PM, yonesmit said:

The versions that works ok for me are: 

- any plugin using 2.7.4 networkupstools

- Rysz plugin running 2.8.0 (latest version) found in this post:

The problem is 2.7.4 is quite old and 2.8.0 is being developed since a lot of time so you can find many different versions. The first ones (like the ones used in your 2.8.0 version) don't work correctly with my UPS.

That's why i say that would be good to update the package frequently, not only the plugin.

Thanks for your work.

Best Regards

I have been working on updating the main plg to update to 2.8.0, I now have a PR that can be merged into master. There is a nut-2.8.0.plg version still also in the branch but they are a copy of each other. If you are able to uninstall and install this vers as a test. @Rysz Would you be able to test also.

https://raw.githubusercontent.com/SimonFair/NUT-unRAID/NewPackages/plugin/nut.plg

On 8/28/2023 at 1:02 PM, SimonF said:

I have been working on updating the main plg to update to 2.8.0, I now have a PR that can be merged into master. There is a nut-2.8.0.plg version still also in the branch but they are a copy of each other. If you are able to uninstall and install this vers as a test. @Rysz Would you be able to test also.

https://raw.githubusercontent.com/SimonFair/NUT-unRAID/NewPackages/plugin/nut.plg

Hi

I installed your version, unfortunately the 2.8.0 version included fails with my UPS.

This is the output of the shutdown command:

root@hpnas:~# sudo /usr/sbin/upsdrvctl -u root shutdown
Network UPS Tools - UPS driver controller 2.8.0-signed
Network UPS Tools - Generic HID driver 0.47 (2.8.0-signed)
USB communication driver (libusb 1.0) 0.43
Using subdriver: Phoenixtec/Liebert HID 0.41
Initiating UPS shutdown
Shutdown failed!
Driver failed to start (exit status=1)

Rysz plugin contains a newer 2.8.0.1 version that correctly shutdown my UPS:

root@hpnas:~# sudo /usr/sbin/upsdrvctl -u root shutdown
Network UPS Tools - UPS driver controller 2.8.0.1
Network UPS Tools - Generic HID driver 0.50 (2.8.0.1)
USB communication driver (libusb 1.0) 0.45
Can't open /var/run/nut/usbhid-ups-salicru: No such file or directory
Using subdriver: Phoenixtec/Liebert HID 0.41
Initiating UPS shutdown

The old 2.7.4 version also correctly shutdown my UPS, but it detects it as another subdriver. Seems that there are many changes from 2.7.4 to 2.8.0 (2.7.4 is very old) and they includes this. The shutdown command support in new subdriver has been added in late revisions.

Please, use the new 2.8.0.1 version or newer in new plugin.

Thanks

Edited by yonesmit
5 hours ago, Rysz said:

Yeah, I'm guessing since it says "2.8.0-signed" it was built from this source code release:

https://github.com/networkupstools/nut/releases/tag/v2.8.0-signed

But that's more than a year old already, so many changes have been made to NUT since then.

My versions were built from the master branch as of as of 26.08.2023, feel free to use them. 🙂

I have asked if there is a date for 2.8.1

18 hours ago, Rysz said:

My versions were built from the master branch as of as of 26.08.2023, feel free to use them. 🙂

Is that version well tested by a big user base?

Couldn't hold back my sarcasm because of your previous posted messages... :D

Please don't take it too serious. ;)

43 minutes ago, ich777 said:

Is that version well tested by a big user base?

Couldn't hold back my sarcasm because of your previous posted messages... :D

Please don't take it too serious. ;)

Touché 🙃, but mine do at least offer the benefit of more than a year's worth of additional compatibility changes and bugfixes, so that's something I can live with considering the immense benefit for the end users.

If we're custom building packages now, which you all seemed to advocate for, I'd at least build them offering the latest changes and keep them up to date as much as possible.

Edited by Rysz

Hi,

I have an Eaton 5e 850i, which works through the usbhid-ups protocol. Recently (not sure when it started), it shuts down about a minute after power is out ignoring the settings.

Is NUT logging somewhere why exactly it decided to shut down? Also, is there some kind of "simulate shutdown setting"? It's quite annoying that every test takes a 5 minute reboot to see if the new setting worked or not.

Thanks in advance!

Edit: I think my ups does something funky when power comes back as well. I did a clear reinstall of NUT from CA, and it seemed to fix the issue - but when I turn back power, communication with the UPS is lost, with this in the syslog:

Aug 30 23:05:09 mikrobi usbhid-ups[6249]: nut_libusb_get_interrupt: Input/Output Error.
Aug 30 23:05:09 mikrobi upsmon[6374]: UPS [email protected] on line power
Aug 30 23:05:11 mikrobi kernel: usb 4-2.2: reset full-speed USB device number 3 using xhci_hcd
Aug 30 23:05:11 mikrobi kernel: usb 4-2.2: device descriptor read/64, error -32
Aug 30 23:05:11 mikrobi kernel: usb 4-2.2: reset full-speed USB device number 3 using xhci_hcd
Aug 30 23:05:12 mikrobi kernel: usb 4-2.2: reset full-speed USB device number 3 using xhci_hcd
Aug 30 23:05:12 mikrobi kernel: usb 4-2.2: Device not responding to setup address.
Aug 30 23:05:12 mikrobi kernel: usb 4-2.2: Device not responding to setup address.
Aug 30 23:05:12 mikrobi kernel: usb 4-2.2: device not accepting address 3, error -71
Aug 30 23:05:13 mikrobi kernel: usb 4-2-port2: attempt power cycle
Aug 30 23:05:14 mikrobi kernel: usb 4-2.2: new full-speed USB device number 9 using xhci_hcd
Aug 30 23:05:14 mikrobi kernel: usb 4-2.2: Device not responding to setup address.
Aug 30 23:05:14 mikrobi kernel: usb 4-2.2: Device not responding to setup address.
Aug 30 23:05:14 mikrobi kernel: usb 4-2.2: device not accepting address 9, error -71
Aug 30 23:05:14 mikrobi kernel: usb 4-2.2: new full-speed USB device number 10 using xhci_hcd
Aug 30 23:05:15 mikrobi kernel: usb 4-2.2: Device not responding to setup address.
Aug 30 23:05:15 mikrobi kernel: usb 4-2.2: device not accepting address 10, error -71
Aug 30 23:05:15 mikrobi kernel: usb 4-2-port2: unable to enumerate USB device
Aug 30 23:05:15 mikrobi upsd[6370]: Data for UPS [ups] is stale - check driver

Reload doesn't help but unplug/replug + reload does seem to help.

Edited by andris
4 hours ago, andris said:

Also, is there some kind of "simulate shutdown setting"?

You can always plug the power lead to the computer into a regular socket the wall/extension lead and then yank the ups power cord to test.

That is NOT plug the computer into the ups.

If the shutdown works like it should the computer will turn of, but not start again when ups power is back tough.

If the shutdown does not work like it should then the computer will stay on, leading to much easier troubleshooting and no need for parity checks if the shutdown does not work like it should.

Also are you sure that the battery is ok?

Had problem with my then 6-7 year eaton that said the battery status was fine and it worked fine on battery for 15min if shutdown was off and i manually shut it down fine and started fine again after power was back.

But shutdown set to 3min like i usually have (to save battery life) it would shutdown but not cleanly and a parity check was waiting on startup.

Did not mess with it for a couple of months since my outages is less then 1min 98% of the time.

Then i wanted to get it ok again and checked, battery status was still fine.

BUT it did not want to work for more then seconds and when started again it was at a very low battery and charged very quick.

Ok battery is dead so bought a new ups (since i hated how it tested with a high squeal and fan noise so often) instead of a new battery.

A day or two later i connected it to my windows pc and eatons program and even that said the battery was perfectly fine, but NO it was stone cold dead.

Edited by grizzly
9 minutes ago, grizzly said:

yank the ups power cord to test.

Floating grounds are bad, mkay?

Plug the UPS into a switched outlet or power strip, then turn off the power to it without breaking the ground connection.

Chances are high you will get away with just yanking the cord, but the possibility is definitely there to create a very large voltage differential across cords still plugged in to the UPS, for example the USB lead. This could blow out the USB port.

Many years ago I personally fried a surge protector plugged into a UPS output when I yanked the supply out of the wall to demonstrate how good my UPS was. Rather embarrassing, but I was really glad the only damage was the surge protector, not the connected equipment.

How old is the UPS battery? It sounds like the battery is dying and the UPS battery can't handle your configured settings anymore before going into a LOWBATT state (which always triggers an immediate shutdown sequence).

You can test this by putting the following setting with a lower "battery low" value (= from what battery percentage the UPS considers a LOWBATT state) in your ups.conf, but make sure to put it on line 15 or lower to not get overwritten:

override.battery.charge.low = 10

If the shutdown is now happening later than before, it's your battery.

If it doesn't change anything, try these settings (also put in ups.conf starting from line 15)

ignorelb
override.battery.charge.low = 10

2 hours ago, darcon said:

I updated to 6.12.4 yesterday and am having issues with my remote NUT devices. Unraid itself sees the UPS just fine.

Can you post your configuration (black out the passwords), the log you appended earlier makes me think it's a configuration issue. Access denied is usually due insufficient user permissions (misconfiguration) or wrong passwords.

• Rysz featured this topic