[Support] Linuxserver.io - Unifi-Controller

I see that a new patch was released for 7.5.174 today :

"Last pushed 4 hours ago by linuxserverci"

So most likely they have patched the upgrade issue. Im probably not going to try again as the release has an incredible 16 pages of issues after just 7 days since it was released (it starts as an RC then was moved to an official release yesterday).

https://community.ui.com/releases/UniFi-Network-Application-7-5-174/d05b091f-f00c-4ebb-8f42-b77e0adac78b?page=14

For this reason Im just going to give it a miss, I already had to roll back backups once and dont particually feel like running a version that will just be replaced with a version this is identical but has all the fixes in a few weeks time so may as well wait this one out.

GL whatever decision you guys make :)

P

• Thanks 4
17 hours ago, wayner said:

@PeteAsking - I am still running 7.2.95.  Is there any reason to upgrade?  If so then should I go to 7.4.162?  My hardware is primarily UAP-AC-Lite APs in a home environment.  Plus I have a USG as my router.

If you are on tag 7.2.95 you could upgrade to this 7.3.83 tag, I consider this moving from "old old stable" to "old stable" on Wifi6/New Deployments.

Reminder of current situation:

Legacy systems: 5.14.23-ls76 or 6.5.55 versions seem fine. (AKA "old old old old stable" or "old old old stable").

Wifi6/New Deployments: 7.2.95 or 7.3.83 tags are fine. (AKA "old old stable" or "old stable").

Old stable and old old stable are the kind of stable where you upgrade and should have no issues upgrading (always backup just in case).

If you require a new feature from a later deployment you can use "'stable'" which I consider to be 7.4.162 This is not for business deployments that cannot afford any downtime, stable is considered "this can run stable if you fiddle around with it and then leave it alone". If your business can live with an hour of wifi being down you can move to it and sort out any issues then get it working. Its that kind of stable.

Do not use tag: "latest" unless you are an alpha tester who fixes their own problems

Future version is : 7.5.174 at this time. (Using future versions is risky.)

All these tags exist in the unifi docker image location here: https://hub.docker.com/r/linuxserver/unifi-controller/tags

Tags available:

Old safe versions for legacy hardware -

5.14.23-ls76 (old old old old stable)

6.5.55 (old old old stable)

Newer safe "wifi6" versions for current hardware (old hardware might not adopt)

7.2.95 (old old stable)

7.3.83 (old stable) <--------- best version for business use if business uses current hardware not out of support

Latest feature set versions

7.4.162 ('stable')

7.5.174 (future version/release candidate, YOU are an alpha tester/do not use in production/same as using "latest" tag).

Kind regards

Pete

For reference at home I am currently on 7.4.162. I test the versions for our clients who have unifi wifi aps. No client is on any version beyond 7.3.83 at this time.

Edited by PeteAsking
  • Like 3
  • 2 weeks later...

@PeteAsking I am new to docker and to docker on UnRaid, so I have have questions.  I have 7.4.162 running on Ubuntu 22.04 and have been running it to manage my UniFi APs.  They are behind an Untangle router.  To future proof my network I thought I would move the function of the UniFi Contoller into UnRaid. 
So the question is… when I install the UniFi Controller in UnRaid it opens a settings page and the image is ……:latest.   What do I change that to? 7.4.162?
Once that is running how do I migrate the APs from one controller to the other?

Tell the first to forget them, and reset each AP with a paper clip?

This whole adoption thing seems kind of dodgy. 
Sorry for being so dense.   I started with a Cloud Key about 5 years ago.  Moved to UniFi Controller on a Raspberry Pi.. Then moved to a Ubuntu 22.04 box.  Each change was less than easy.  I hope this move to docker is a step toward future proof. 

Dennis

On 9/23/2023 at 5:52 PM, DWomack said:

@PeteAsking I am new to docker and to docker on UnRaid, so I have have questions.  I have 7.4.162 running on Ubuntu 22.04 and have been running it to manage my UniFi APs.  They are behind an Untangle router.  To future proof my network I thought I would move the function of the UniFi Contoller into UnRaid. 
So the question is… when I install the UniFi Controller in UnRaid it opens a settings page and the image is ……:latest.   What do I change that to? 7.4.162?
Once that is running how do I migrate the APs from one controller to the other?

Tell the first to forget them, and reset each AP with a paper clip?

This whole adoption thing seems kind of dodgy. 
Sorry for being so dense.   I started with a Cloud Key about 5 years ago.  Moved to UniFi Controller on a Raspberry Pi.. Then moved to a Ubuntu 22.04 box.  Each change was less than easy.  I hope this move to docker is a step toward future proof. 

Dennis

I believe you can export site function from your config so you would do this process so you can readopt the AP's.

https://lazyadmin.nl/home-network/migrate-unifi-controller/

I havent had to do it but this process seems logical to me.

When deploying via unraid the tag you use will be like this format: lscr.io/linuxserver/unifi-controller:version-7.4.162

Please backup your docker images with : Appdata Backup plugin.

Kind regards,
Pete

Edited by PeteAsking
On 9/26/2023 at 3:55 PM, PeteAsking said:

I believe you can export site function from your config so you would do this process so you can readopt the AP's.

https://lazyadmin.nl/home-network/migrate-unifi-controller/

I havent had to do it but this process seems logical to me.

When deploying via unraid the tag you use will be like this format: lscr.io/linuxserver/unifi-controller:version-7.4.162

Please backup your docker images with : Appdata Backup plugin.

Kind regards,
Pete

How in Docker on Unraid do I completely start over after stopping the current container.  Does removing a container also remove its associated app data?

Sorry, I am new to this.

Dennis

On 9/28/2023 at 10:05 AM, DWomack said:

How in Docker on Unraid do I completely start over after stopping the current container.  Does removing a container also remove its associated app data?

Sorry, I am new to this.

Dennis

Removed the container and the appdata.

Re installed the container and the container runs as expected.

On 9/28/2023 at 12:23 PM, joelones said:

I'm trying to the new UniFi Network Application container and getting a tomcat 404 error using a custom bridge setup. Previous container works well with this setup. Can anyone please advise (unraid 6.12.3)

This question has too little information to help you. Please add more relevant information.

7 minutes ago, DWomack said:

With UniFi controller and a couple of AC Lite access points is there anything special I have to do in the router these are connected to?

All three have reserved ip addresses, in essence fixed ips. 

Outside of the network configuration (LAN, VLAN, GUEST, etc) I’ve never needed to do anything in the router that effects the AP’s.

• 2 weeks later...
29 minutes ago, PeteAsking said:

A new version UniFi Network Application 7.5.187 is available

I am still on 7.3.83.  It has been running so well so long that I have not kept up with controller updates or even thought about upgrading.  I'm not sure 7.5.187 would give me anything I don't have but upgrading from time to time is a good idea (as long as it does not break something) so I don't get too far behind.  I'll have to read up on 7.5.187.

22 hours ago, Hoopster said:

I am still on 7.3.83.  It has been running so well so long that I have not kept up with controller updates or even thought about upgrading.  I'm not sure 7.5.187 would give me anything I don't have but upgrading from time to time is a good idea (as long as it does not break something) so I don't get too far behind.  I'll have to read up on 7.5.187.

If you backup your appdata I believe you should have no problem upgrading directly to 7.5.187 but will be able to roll back if you need to.

In this case you can tell us if the new version is acceptable to you and I will update what is old stable and bring the versions tagged in my previous post along one extra version so everyone can update to the next version applicable to their deployment.

I have just deployed 7.5.187 and have had no issues. The upgrade was very fast for me also, a couple minutes at most. I note a couple of people on the forums at unifi had to restart a device that dropped offline manually in order to have it brought online to the controller but nothing more serious than this.

Let me know if it works for you and I will update. This version seems like it will be the one to stick on for a while.

Kind regards

Pete

• Thanks 1

Important notice I read on the update notes: 

Due to the way in which Ubiquiti package and distribute their software our Unifi Controller container has reached a point where we cannot upgrade to newer supported packages without making breaking changes to the image.

As a result we have decided to deprecate our Unifi Controller container and replace it with a new Unifi Network Application container. This new container uses our current base images and a separate mongodb instance, which makes it substantially easier for us to maintain going forward.

We will continue to support our Unifi Controller image until 2024-01-01, at which point you will need to have migrated to the Unifi Network Application container to continue to receive support.

The new container is not a drop-in replacement and it is crucial that you read the entire Application Setup section of the readme before attempting to migrate an existing install

Those of you who have been using our mongoless tag for the Unifi Controller container can switch directly to the Unifi Network Application container without needing to perform any migration steps.

Edited by SP67
  • Thanks 2

I took a quick look at the docs and there doesn't seem to be a very clear description of how you migrate from the Unifi Controller docker to the Unifi Network Application container.

What do they mean by "a clean /config mount"?  Does that mean a new appdata location?   Or does it mean something else?

And the mongo setup instructions are confusing to me.  If we are migrating do we have to do this step?

Migration From Unifi-Controller

If you were using the mongoless tag for the Unifi Controller container, you can switch directly to the Unifi Network Application container without needing to perform any migration steps.

You cannot perform an in-place upgrade from an existing Unifi-Controller container, you must run a backup and then a restore.

The simplest migration approach is to take a full backup of your existing install, including history, from the Unifi-Controller web UI, then shut down the old container.

You can then start up the new container with a clean /config mount (and a database container configured), and perform a restore using the setup wizard.

5 hours ago, wayner said:

I took a quick look at the docs and there doesn't seem to be a very clear description of how you migrate from the Unifi Controller docker to the Unifi Network Application container.

What do they mean by "a clean /config mount"?  Does that mean a new appdata location?   Or does it mean something else?

And the mongo setup instructions are confusing to me.  If we are migrating do we have to do this step?

I think you have to just setup 2 new containers (one for the unifi and one separate mongodb container). 

What I would do is change the default management port on the existing one and then try get the new 2 containers working together and when they are working then doing a backup from the old on and shut it down, and then import to the new one. Sounds like a lot of boring effort. 

Edited by PeteAsking
On 10/20/2023 at 1:25 PM, PeteAsking said:

I think you have to just setup 2 new containers (one for the unifi and one separate mongodb container). 

What I would do is change the default management port on the existing one and then try get the new 2 containers working together and when they are working then doing a backup from the old on and shut it down, and then import to the new one. Sounds like a lot of boring effort. 

Seems like a pain to now have two different dockers, as we now have to worry not only about a stable version of Unifi, but whether it works with the version of mongodb.  (edit - and do we now run the risk of an update of the mongodb container screwing up our Unifi container?)

Do you have to then adopt from the new container?  Or is that not necessary if you do a backup and restore?

Edited by wayner

Maybe I am being paranoid but the end of this docker is a big deal and should be getting more attention.  Shouldn't the first post in this thread be pointing out that this is about to be deprecated and don't install Unifi-Controller, install Unifi-Network-Application?

This thread is 54 pages, has posts from many users, so presumably there are a lot of users of this container.  So far no one seems to know or care that they are going to have to migrate to a new docker, and install a mongodb docker as well.

Or am I way offbase here?

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 1
15 minutes ago, wayner said:

Maybe I am being paranoid but the end of this docker is a big deal and should be getting more attention.  Shouldn't the first post in this thread be pointing out that this is about to be deprecated and don't install Unifi-Controller, install Unifi-Network-Application?

This thread is 54 pages, has posts from many users, so presumably there are a lot of users of this container.  So far no one seems to know or care that they are going to have to migrate to a new docker, and install a mongodb docker as well.

Or am I way offbase here?

I’ll bet many people haven’t seen this. I know I hadn’t until I started searching for it-

https://info.linuxserver.io/issues/2023-09-06-unifi-controller/