[Support] ich777 - Gameserver Dockers

18 minutes ago, Nibbles said:

ove the speed on set up and the support thus far. I'm curious if you have any knowledge running this through SWAG and an Argo Tunnel.

May I ask why you would even do that?

That won't work since a game server (at least most of them) doesn't use the http nor https protocol which SWAG relies on and is basically what a ARGO tunnel is designed for.

However I even don't think that would work because you would need to know the exit node, so to speak the IP from the tunnel so that the dedicated server even can connect to the main server and if you extend that all a bit further that can't work because we are working with ports here and the ARGO tunnel (at least to my knowledge) is working with hostnames.

Sure you can proxy a game server with streaming ports but that increases complexity and I even won't touch something like that because I really see not much of a benefit (besides that you mask your IP) and only downsides.

• Like 1
1 minute ago, montmyint said:

Yeah I've been stopping the docker between changes (it only took one time of settings not sticking to remember).

So it was the steam client confusing me, I was able to connect via direct connection in game.

Looks like patience on the cards tonight, I'll set it back up as a community server and just leave it :)

The in-game Community Server browser is... kinda awful. The search functionality only filters through the pages of servers that you've loaded up (it only loads 200 servers per request). Even if you keep loading new pages of servers, theres no guarantee yours will ever show up.

If you go the direct/passwordless route, anybody you have using your server will still see it in the Recent Servers section. Until they fix the password issue with direct connections, I'll likely keep my server out of the Community Server list.

• Like 1
1 minute ago, ich777 said:

May I ask why you would even do that?

That won't work since a game server (at least most of them) doesn't use the http nor https protocol which SWAG relies on and is basically what a ARGO tunnel is designed for.

However I even don't think that would work because you would need to know the exit node, so to speak the IP from the tunnel so that the dedicated server even can connect to the main server and if you extend that all a bit further that can't work because we are working with ports here and the ARGO tunnel (at least to my knowledge) is working with hostnames.

Sure you can proxy a game server with streaming ports but that increases complexity and I even won't touch something like that because I really see not much of a benefit (besides that you mask your IP) and only downsides.

Makes complete sense, I appreciate the input. I was just trying to make it work with the systems I had in place to protect services. I thought it might be easier, but it seems not. Thanks for the swift response!

• Like 1
3 minutes ago, montmyint said:

So it was the steam client confusing me, I was able to connect via direct connection in game.

Yeah, the Steam client doesn't work with UE5 games so far AFAIK <- but I could be very wrong about that.

4 minutes ago, montmyint said:

Looks like patience on the cards tonight, I'll set it back up as a community server and just leave it :)

I've made a post how I search my server here:

With that I'm able to find it every time.

You can also try to set it up from scratch, wait for the first start, then stop it, change the server name in the config (only the servername), start the container and try to find that in the server list. ;)

5 minutes ago, Nibbles said:

I thought it might be easier, but it seems not.

I looked also into that because I was also interested in that a few years back, it is most of the times possible (but not always) but adds a lot of complexity and you are basically on your own.

In my opinion it is not a good idea to proxy a game server...

However you can tunnel a game server through a root server with a SSH tunnel and change the public IP address to the IP from the root server but that is also pretty complex and I wouldn't recommend that either.

• Like 1

I am launching my server, but I can not join it. I'm on the same local network and the 8211 port is forwarded. I can not connect. Not really sure what to do. I've been hosting other games with no issues. I deleted the container, Deleted the app data and then reinstalled and I still can not connect. I could see it in community servers (after asking for 200 more results like 30 times) but connecting gives me a connection error.

20240119_195854.jpg

Log.png

Edited by nightspades
On 1/17/2024 at 2:26 AM, ich777 said:

Especially these website is often wrong and a automatic generated set of port forwards.

Could it be possible that your ISP is blocking certain ports, maybe all below 10000?

Have you yet tried another port that is higher than 10000?

Please also don't do port changes like that for game server containers because that will ultimately fail for most other servers, it is indeed working for Minecraft or Terraria but not for example for CounterStrike oder Valheim (see the first recommended post on top).

Have you yet tried to join from outside your LAN with your public IP address, often times the Hair Pin NAT on lower end routers/modems are not working properly and a connection from inside your network is not working.

Forgive me for not responding recently, I had become really busy but am free now. 

To answer your first question, I did check with my ISP to see if they're blocking those ports and they were not. 

For your 2nd question: I am unsure quite honestly, but I have used a vpn and that did not suffice while connected to my current router, besides one instance a while back for a minecraft server, but I did think of the possible problem which I would like your input on.

I have a "2nd router" (Not from my ISP) connected to my "main router" (From my ISP), and my server is connected to the "main router". Would the "2nd router" be possibly interfering with all these issues with my "main router"? Because the terraria server would not connect correctly unless I used my minecraft port, however, my minecraft port is being funneled through cloudflare, which is possibly the reason why it still functioned properly. I tested out my zomboid server again and that is not working, and just with the newly released palworld, it wasn't posting online again also, however it was indeed letting me connect to the world/server via lan. If this is the case, what would the possible solution be?  I assume I would have to go log onto the "2nd router" and possibly port forward on that also? But even then, I am unsure what I would port forward besides what is currently already being port forwarded on the main router.

PALWORLD help please

Connecting anonymously to Steam Public...OK
Waiting for client config...OK
Waiting for user info...OK
Success! App '2394010' already up to date.
---Checking if configuration is in place---
---Configuration found, continuing...---
---Checking if PublicIP is in place---
---Nothing to do, PublicIP: xxx.xxx.xxx.xxxstill up-to-date!---
---Prepare Server---
---Server ready---
---Start Server---
setrlimit() failed with error 22 (Invalid argument)
- Max per-process value allowed is 0 (we wanted infinity).
sh: 1: xdg-user-dir: not found
dlopen failed trying to load:
steamclient.so
with error:
steamclient.so: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
[S_API] SteamAPI_Init(): Loaded '/serverdata/.steam/sdk64/steamclient.so' OK.  (First tried local 'steamclient.so')
CAppInfoCacheReadFromDiskThread took 2 milliseconds to initialize
Setting breakpad minidump AppID = 2394010
[S_API FAIL] Tried to access Steam interface SteamUser021 before SteamAPI_Init succeeded.
[S_API FAIL] Tried to access Steam interface SteamFriends017 before SteamAPI_Init succeeded.
[S_API FAIL] Tried to access Steam interface STEAMAPPS_INTERFACE_VERSION008 before SteamAPI_Init succeeded.
[S_API FAIL] Tried to access Steam interface SteamNetworkingUtils004 before SteamAPI_Init succeeded.

I saw my server posted once in Community servers but it failed to connect. now it doesnt show in community or recent servers. Can anyone help me? I also Port Forwarded the Docker IP, was I supposed to forward the ports for the Public IP that is listed in the Log file? Any help is greatly appreciated. 

Currently getting the following:

2024-01-19T20:30:44.272424637-05:00 ---Server ready---
2024-01-19T20:30:44.272441525-05:00 ---Start Server---
2024-01-19T20:30:44.608685860-05:00 setrlimit() failed with error 22 (Invalid argument)
2024-01-19T20:30:44.608718046-05:00 - Max per-process value allowed is 1 (we wanted infinity).
2024-01-19T20:30:44.666123852-05:00 sh: 1: xdg-user-dir: not found
2024-01-19T20:30:44.963263705-05:00 dlopen failed trying to load:
2024-01-19T20:30:44.963286700-05:00 steamclient.so
2024-01-19T20:30:44.963294383-05:00 with error:
2024-01-19T20:30:44.963301568-05:00 steamclient.so: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
2024-01-19T20:30:44.974939207-05:00 [S_API] SteamAPI_Init(): Loaded '/serverdata/.steam/sdk64/steamclient.so' OK.  (First tried local 'steamclient.so')
2024-01-19T20:30:45.076674969-05:00 CAppInfoCacheReadFromDiskThread took 3 milliseconds to initialize
2024-01-19T20:30:45.105015679-05:00 Setting breakpad minidump AppID = 2394010
2024-01-19T20:30:45.105754516-05:00 [S_API FAIL] Tried to access Steam interface SteamUser021 before SteamAPI_Init succeeded.
2024-01-19T20:30:45.105769406-05:00 [S_API FAIL] Tried to access Steam interface SteamFriends017 before SteamAPI_Init succeeded.
2024-01-19T20:30:45.594453743-05:00 [S_API FAIL] Tried to access Steam interface STEAMAPPS_INTERFACE_VERSION008 before SteamAPI_Init succeeded.
2024-01-19T20:30:45.667183011-05:00 [S_API FAIL] Tried to access Steam interface SteamNetworkingUtils004 before SteamAPI_Init succeeded.

My server does not allow any connections (lan or wan). Also I'm hosting this via Truenas Scale (shouldn't be related?) and port forwarded properly.

I'm currently using your project zomboid server image to host a server and no issues with it at all, but I can't connect to this server, not sure if it's up or not (assuming it's not up)

Any ideas?

PS Thanks for your hard work :) I'm sure this is a very hectic situation.

I'm able to reach the "No password has been entered." screen when using the local IP and public IP and 8211 default port for the default container. 

I have a problem when I spun up a couple of other containers, changed their ports in the container AND the palworldsettings.ini file, but I cannot connect to them.  I ensured the UDP 8212, 8213, etc were added to my port forwarding.  You have a note in the container @ich777 that says also don't forget to click an 'Show more settings ...' and change the port number, but I'm unsure what value you're intending us to change?

image.thumb.png.94bdf6743d1fe0874a254b60400343b6.png

42 minutes ago, IDQ said:

I'm also having issues getting port forwarding to work for Palworld. I tried removing the default port even and using 8220 and the result is the same. It shows closed using this website. I have Valheim and Mincraft servers running with no issues. Do we need to open another port?

https://www.yougetsignal.com/tools/open-ports/

Glad I am not the only one. Was driving me nuts trying to get this to work. I have had Plex successfully port forwarded for years and shows open port. Literally copied the format from those pfsense firewall rules to open Palword ports and it still does not work. Oddly tho my Wireguard tunnel port also shows closed, but it allows me to connect...

Hi ich777,

I am using your docker server for Valhiem and it seems pretty great.  I have had one problem and Im not sure how to fix it.. it seems like the backups are not rolling over. (as an example, it was doing backups until jan 16th.. then just stopped... Then when I rebooted the server today, it was reverted back.  I also tried enabling the debug and log file, but the log file doesnt show up in the main valhiem folder. 

Any help would be great. Thanks

5 hours ago, sens_dep said:

Interesting issue with Palworld. When restarting the server you are prompted to re-create a character. I don't think its an issue with the container, but the game itself.

This is definitely not normal since it is working here fine.

Please check to what path the game files are set in the Docker template.

If using /mnt/cache/… then male sure that the files stay on the cache and are not moved over to the Array in the Share settings.

4 hours ago, nightspades said:

I could see it in community servers (after asking for 200 more results like 30 times) but connecting gives me a connection error.

Please double check your port forwarding including the protocoll and that your public IP is set correctly. I assume you removed the public IP from the screenshot since nothing is displayed there.

If you can see it in the community server browser and you get that error that means that the game can‘t connect to the server properly.

Please note that the IP 0.0.0.0 won‘t work, it has to be your real public IP.

…and please disable validation, this will do nothing on a connection error. 😂

4 hours ago, Kvo1087 said:

I saw my server posted once in Community servers but it failed to connect. now it doesnt show in community or recent servers. Can anyone help me? I also Port Forwarded the Docker IP, was I supposed to forward the ports for the Public IP that is listed in the Log file? Any help is greatly appreciated. 

If it was listed once then it was working just fine and maybe you had to be a little bit more patient when searching the game. It can take up to five minutes so that the server is fully startet and in the in game server list you have to also click the community server button a few times.

Please forward the unraid server IP in your router with the port and protocol which is listed in the template.

That‘s all.

From what I see your server is just running fine.

Also see this post here:

4 hours ago, jeerful said:

My server does not allow any connections (lan or wan). Also I'm hosting this via Truenas Scale (shouldn't be related?) and port forwarded properly.

What errors do you get? Do you see it in the communty browser list in game (since does not advertise it in the Steam Server browser).

PS Thanks for your hard work :) I'm sure this is a very hectic situation.

A bit… 😂

Any ideas?

Please double check your port forwarding.

Did you change anything in the config?

Did you yet try to connect with your local IP and PORT, if you do that you should get an error that says that no password was given, if this is working it is properly installed and waiting for connections (this is currently a bug in the game and will be fixed by the developers, you have to connect to the community servers).

What I see from the log output your server seems to be running fine.

5 hours ago, Zalszibar said:

I'm able to reach the "No password has been entered." screen when using the local IP and public IP and 8211 default port for the default container. 

Please read this (2nd paragraph) :

5 hours ago, Zalszibar said:

You have a note in the container @ich777 that says also don't forget to click an 'Show more settings ...' and change the port number, but I'm unsure what value you're intending us to change?

This is a copy paste error and oversight from me, already removed that.

If you want to change the port you have to change it in the config and follow the directions in the template.

I would also not recommend to change the ports since this won't do anything, please start over with a fresh template/game files directory.

However your server seems to be running fine. ;)

If you however want to test direct connect then you have to do that:

3 hours ago, IDQ said:

I'm also having issues getting port forwarding to work for Palworld.

Are you sure?

What does the logs say?

Please don't change the ports, as you can see on the last 4 pages it is working in it's base configuration.

3 hours ago, IDQ said:

Such tools won't detect most game servers and they are useless for checking if the port is open since you are dealing with a game server and not a http/https server and nothing is responding to http/https requests.

3 hours ago, IDQ said:

Do we need to open another port?

No.

Without that little information I can't help, have you read that here:

The server needs a bit to be up and running and then you have to wait a bit in the server list itself.

Please start over with a fresh template/game files directory.

2 hours ago, Etelari said:

I am using your docker server for Valhiem and it seems pretty great.  I have had one problem and Im not sure how to fix it.. it seems like the backups are not rolling over. (as an example, it was doing backups until jan 16th.. then just stopped... Then when I rebooted the server today, it was reverted back.  I also tried enabling the debug and log file, but the log file doesnt show up in the main valhiem folder. 

I assume you are talking about the backups that the container takes correct?

Please check the path in the template, are you using /mnt/cache/... for the game files? If yes make sure that the files are not moved over from the cache to the Array in the Share settings, this is most likely the case what happens here.

I'm not sure how native backups are working since you can now also do it natively I think.

5 hours ago, zan335 said:

Would the "2nd router" be possibly interfering with all these issues with my "main router"?

Depends on how you've set it up, but that is out of this scope from this thread since I only can give support for my game servers and if there is something not working.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not an network expert I just have a FTTH connection which then is connected to my OPNSense box.

5 hours ago, zan335 said:

I have a "2nd router" (Not from my ISP) connected to my "main router" (From my ISP)

This is also a pretty horrible setup in my opinion... but as said above that complicates the port forwards most likely and this is nothing I can help you with. Sorry...

Just now, ich777 said:

Depends on how you've set it up, but that is out of this scope from this thread since I only can give support for my game servers and if there is something not working.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not an network expert I just have a FTTH connection which then is connected to my OPNSense box.

This is also a pretty horrible setup in my opinion... but as said above that complicates the port forwards most likely and this is nothing I can help you with. Sorry...

All good, I figured it all out and they all work now lmao; it wasn’t the router at all, it was the cloud ddns that was interfering with it, masking my public up, it was supposed to only be working for 1 specific port and ip but it actually did it to all of em, so both the palworld and terrraria server are working now, I appreciate all the help you have given me however, helped me in diagnosing the true problem so thanks again.

• Like 1