We're Hiring! Full Stack Developer ×

[Support] ich777 - Gameserver Dockers

I have setup the docker and everything "appears" to be running but it had been running for a couple hours now and I don't think it downloaded the base game. My disk space has not changed and I do not see the files in the palworld directory. Any ideas why it wouldn't download?

6 minutes ago, varona said:

Yes, i am editing the ini file while the docker container is stopped.

7 minutes ago, varona said:
/mnt/user/appdata/palworld

But that is not the correct directory, please read the description from the container where the ini file is located.

3 minutes ago, m0zzy said:

I have setup the docker and everything "appears" to be running but it had been running for a couple hours now and I don't think it downloaded the base game. My disk space has not changed and I do not see the files in the palworld directory. Any ideas why it wouldn't download?

Can you provide a log or something like that? Click on the container and then select Log.

thanks for the docker ich777! Everything works great except there is a weird lag/glitch like rubber banding i dont know if it is something I did wrong or due to the game. Also is there a way to Save before closing the docker or do I just stop it when i want to restart ( due to the memory leak ).

For the backup feature on the Palworld Docker Container, is it possible to have the backups placed to another location? E.g. I have the gameservers installed to an unprotected nvme cache drive, where I have currently a user script running on a cron job that makes a backup of SaveGames to my appdata share which is on protected cache.

If not, no worries then I'll keep using the user script, just curious if you have thought about these use cases.

Edited by Ocgineer
On 1/25/2024 at 6:22 PM, Glorithan said:

Is there a way to limit the memory allowed for Pal World and are there community recommendations for amount?

On 1/25/2024 at 7:02 PM, ich777 said:

Yes, but if you limit the RAM then the container will crash and restart, this could lead to a corrupt save file...

I have it currently limited to 40GB but the highest that I've seen so far with 9 concurrent players was 21GB

I have a user script running that check my total available ram every 2 minutes and when it goes below a threshold it initiates a shutdown via rcon ([updated] plugin) to announce in-game, shutdown, save, and then restarts the Docker container. It seems to work on my end for my users. It might not be pretty or can be done better, but I don't really have that much experience with Linux but it might help some people or give ideas 😅

#!/bin/bash
freemem=$(free -m | grep Mem | awk '{print $7}');
rconPalworld=$(docker inspect -f '{{range.NetworkSettings.Networks}}{{.IPAddress}}{{end}}' Palworld):25575;
adminPassword=ADMINPASSWORD

if [ $freemem -le 1200 ]
then
    echo "CRITICAL: $freemem RESTARTING PALWORLD AND THE DOCKER CONTAINER"
    rcon -a $rconPalworld -p $adminPassword "Broadcast INITIATING_RESTART_IN_5_SECONDS!"
    sleep 1
    rcon -a $rconPalworld -p $adminPassword "Broadcast INITIATING_RESTART_IN_4_SECONDS!"
    sleep 1
    rcon -a $rconPalworld -p $adminPassword "Broadcast INITIATING_RESTART_IN_3_SECONDS!"
    sleep 1
    rcon -a $rconPalworld -p $adminPassword "Broadcast INITIATING_RESTART_IN_2_SECONDS!"
    sleep 1
    rcon -a $rconPalworld -p $adminPassword "Broadcast INITIATING_RESTART_IN_1_SECONDS!"
    sleep 1
    rcon -a $rconPalworld -p $adminPassword "Shutdown 60 SERVER_SHUTDOWN_IN_60_SECONDS!"
    sleep 30
    rcon -a $rconPalworld -p $adminPassword "Broadcast SERVER_SHUTDOWN_IN_30_SECONDS!"
    sleep 10
    rcon -a $rconPalworld -p $adminPassword Save
    sleep 10
    rcon -a $rconPalworld -p $adminPassword "Broadcast SERVER_SHUTDOWN_IN_10_SECONDS!"
    sleep 20
    docker restart Palworld
else
    echo "ALL OK: $freemem"
fi

Edited by Ocgineer
Changed bash script reflecting new rcon plugin commands
  • Like 1
9 hours ago, Masteraleur said:

if it is something I did wrong or due to the game

Game, please don't forget this is a Early Access game and they need to fix a lot, including the high RAM usage <- TBH I don't know if that can be fixed.

Anyways, about your issue, I would recommend that you report that to the developers from the game.

8 hours ago, Ocgineer said:

Docker Container, is it possible to have the backups placed to another location?

No, the default backup location is in the main directory in the subfolder Backups.

But I think you overthinking that a bit since we are dealing with Docker you can do something like that:

grafik.png.3cc2f5743804481c0c2263935e6b2917.png

Hope that makes sense.

With that you basically override the Backups folder in the container and map it to another location on your host, this is what you want to accomplish correct? :)

• Like 2
3 hours ago, TheBelighted said:

How would I go about making a second server for palworld? Want to have 2 seperate ones for 2 seperate groups. Would I just download it as another docker container and rename it to something like palworld2 and change the 8211 port to a different one? 

Please look at the recommended posts on top of this thread, it‘s basically the same as for Valheim except that you need to change the port in the config an not in the variable.

EDIT: sorry you don‘t have to not edit the port in the config you have to add this to you GAME_PARAMS_EXTRA:

port=8212

(In this example if you want to use port 8212)

8 hours ago, ich777 said:

With that you basically override the Backups folder in the container and map it to another location on your host, this is what you want to accomplish correct? :)

Oh that is nifty, thought it had to be programmatically implemented but overriding is also a thing then!
And yes all I wanted is to have the backups on a safe location, thanks!

Edited by Ocgineer
  • Like 1
Just now, TheBelighted said:

Has anyone tried using the backups yet? Is it just simply copy and pasting the files in after removing the old? 

Yes. You can always create a copy from you old Saves directory first.

You should be even be able to start a new server with a backup.

Just be sure to first stop the server and then extract the files. I would recommend that you first stop the container, then delete the old Saves files and the extract the backup to the Pal subdirectory.

• Like 1
17 hours ago, Ocgineer said:

I have a user script running that check my total available ram every 2 minutes and when it goes below a threshold it initiates a shutdown via rcon (plugin) to announce in-game, shutdown, save, and then restarts the Docker container. It seems to work on my end for my users. It might not be pretty or can be done better, but I don't really have that much experience with Linux but it might help some people or give ideas 😅

#!/bin/bash
freemem=$(free -m | grep Mem | awk '{print $7}');
palworldIp=$(docker inspect -f '{{range.NetworkSettings.Networks}}{{.IPAddress}}{{end}}' Palworld);
adminPassword=ADMINPASSWORD

if [ $freemem -le 1200 ]
then
    echo "CRITICAL: $freemem RESTARTING PALWORLD AND THE DOCKER CONTAINER"
    rcon -n -H $palworldIp -p 25575 -P $adminPassword Broadcast INITIATING_RESTART_IN_5_SECONDS!
    sleep 1
    rcon -n -H $palworldIp -p 25575 -P $adminPassword Broadcast INITIATING_RESTART_IN_4_SECONDS!
    sleep 1
    rcon -n -H $palworldIp -p 25575 -P $adminPassword Broadcast INITIATING_RESTART_IN_3_SECONDS!
    sleep 1
    rcon -n -H $palworldIp -p 25575 -P $adminPassword Broadcast INITIATING_RESTART_IN_2_SECONDS!
    sleep 1
    rcon -n -H $palworldIp -p 25575 -P $adminPassword Broadcast INITIATING_RESTART_IN_1_SECONDS!
    sleep 1
    rcon -n -H $palworldIp -p 25575 -P $adminPassword Shutdown 60 SERVER_SHUTDOWN_IN_60_SECONDS!
    sleep 30
    rcon -n -H $palworldIp -p 25575 -P $adminPassword Broadcast SERVER_SHUTDOWN_IN_30_SECONDS
    sleep 10
    rcon -n -H $palworldIp -p 25575 -P $adminPassword Save
    sleep 10
    rcon -n -H $palworldIp -p 25575 -P $adminPassword Broadcast SAVED_AND_SERVER_SHUTDOWN_IN_10_SECONDS
    sleep 30
    docker restart Palworld
else
    echo "ALL OK: $freemem"
fi

I might be missing something.. I cannot get rcon to connect to my docker. Through terminal I am getting "Failed to connect to given host/service (rcon -H xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx -p 25575 -P password). I assume we are using the normal Lan address of the server if the docker is in bridge mode. I am trying to execute the script via "User Scripts" plugin.

4 minutes ago, jtaz16 said:

I assume we are using the normal Lan address of the server if the docker is in bridge mode. I am trying to execute the script via "User Scripts" plugin.

Did you read that RCON is disabled by default in the description from the variable and did you enable it in the firstplace?

Please also read this post:

4 minutes ago, ich777 said:

Did you read that RCON is disabled by default in the description from the variable and did you enable it in the firstplace?

Yes I have it enabled on both my Palworlds 22575/6. Both fail to connect to host. I have restarted both dockers. I have a 9 digit password with 3 numbers. I just tried it without the numbers as the linked discussion said issues with password input. image.png.e1cc07d8658da6c223a5362bf459a09d.pngimage.png.95bfa83667251a926199997a4c451c2b.pngimage.png.b314d65a1625dd4dbd82779ff114626e.png

13 minutes ago, jtaz16 said:

Both fail to connect to host.

Please double check your config.

This usually indicates that RCON is not enabled.

Please post screenshots from your config, how did you enable it?

Please try your first container with the defaults first.

How did you set up the port forward since you are showing only the host part in the screenshot.

31 minutes ago, ich777 said:

Please double check your config.

This usually indicates that RCON is not enabled.

Please post screenshots from your config, how did you enable it?

How did you set up the port forward since you are showing only the host part in the screenshot.

Screenshots are from my second one. (Palworld-Cheat)

image.thumb.png.26bdf82cc20835e4cc8b2c26e23b5a88.pngimage.thumb.png.ca3ffe563e707ad5707c85a0bdf63744.png Extra parameters for the docker : --restart=unless-stopped --memory=10G

Is there forwarding I need to perform on the unraid app side? I would get it if the 25575 on the app side is conflicting but I would think changing the port during setup would fix that. I only changed Server file location and Ip/backups to True. And the port assignments by 1image.png.0b11fd782a893cfd652c403badbcc51b.png

Edited by jtaz16

28 minutes ago, ich777 said:

I did not have RCON enabled on the first/original one, apparently it was not completely off when I made the change the first time. It is now viewable. The second is still not working. I triple checked that it is enabled.

36 minutes ago, jtaz16 said:

I did not have RCON enabled on the first/original one, apparently it was not completely off when I made the change the first time. It is now viewable. The second is still not working. I triple checked that it is enabled.

Yes hut the port mappings are not sticking IIRC if you change it in the config.

Please try to set it to 25575 again in the config and do a port mapping in the template from 25575 to 25576 on the host, for RCON this should work.

Edit: Oh wait this is wrong. What you do can‘t work, you set the port in the config to 25576 and you still map it from the container 25575 to 25576, remember you have set it to 25576 and now it should run in the container on 25576