unRAID Server Release 5.0-rc15a Available

• Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wonderful, thank you.  Might it be an option in the future to be able to reboot into safe mode from the browser?  Would be handy for those of us that use headless systems, but absolutely no rush, since I appreciate that this will be a bit more involved.

According to the SafeMode thread you can have a specifically named file "unraidsafemode" in the /boot folder on the flash drive, that will also have unRAID boot into safemode.

http://lime-technology.com/forum/index.php?topic=27960.0

Wonderful, thank you.  Might it be an option in the future to be able to reboot into safe mode from the browser?  Would be handy for those of us that use headless systems, but absolutely no rush, since I appreciate that this will be a bit more involved.

According to the SafeMode thread you can have a specifically named file "unraidsafemode" in the /boot folder on the flash drive, that will also have unRAID boot into safemode.

the flag file unraidsafemode not yet in 15a, but you'll be able to do that in the next version.

the flag file unraidsafemode not yet in 15a, but you'll be able to do that in the next version.

Thank you.  So conceivably in the future the browser might be able to create the file on the user's behalf (I know it's little, but it's one less thing to remember).

Thank you.  So conceivably in the future the browser might be able to create the file on the user's behalf (I know it's little, but it's one less thing to remember).

Yes, we might even convince Tom to add another "checkbox" next to the existing "Reboot" button to indicate we wish to reboot in safe mode.  (It could create the flag file if checked, and delete it when un-checked.)

Yes, we might even convince Tom to add another "checkbox" next to the existing "Reboot" button to indicate we wish to reboot in safe mode.  (It could create the flag file if checked, and delete it when un-checked.)

+1 on that as a lot of us are running headless... so the enable safe mode we need to attach a monitor for the moment

if we can tick a reboot in safe mode from the GUI would be much easier

most of us boot anyway with every plugin installed so we only need safe mode when it is not working as intended

I think that Tom should be congratulated!  He has taken a lot of flack for not getting an imperfect V5.0 out earlier.  However, we can now see that the perfectionist approach has reaped benefits - this release now seems to be near on rock solid.  The only valid criticism is that there have been lengthy periods when we had no news and had no idea what, if anything, was happening.  Hopefully, the appointment of Tom #2 will ensure that we are kept better informed in the future.

Well done, Tom! ... and 'Hallelujah'!

I do have a few questions:

1) I use the 'enable_ahci' script in my 'go' file to ensure that one of my SATA interfaces is recognised.  I presume (but haven't tried) that safe mode will fail to enable the interface and, therefore, some of my drives will be missing in safe mde.  Is it possible to have this functionality added to the 'standard' release?

2) I currently have 'ulimit -n 20000;' prepended to the line invoking emhttp in the go script.  I presume that this is no longer necessary?

3) I currently have JoeL's 'sed -i " s/ show_disk ....' in the go script.  I presume that this is no longer necessary?

I just did this procedure and on powering back up caused a parity check (didn't get syslog sorry) took array offline copied contents of flash to desktop formatted new USB copied fresh unraid install (same  ver) ran make boot then copied the backup over it shutdown array I inserted new flash and powered on came up with config good but said it detected dirty shutdown and started parity check.  So can messing with the USB drive cause it to detect dirty shutdown ??

Download | Release Notes

I guess the most interesting change is the introduction of booting into "Safe Mode".  At present, all this does is cause the boot-up sequence to completely skip loading any extra packages or plugins.  Over time this might change a bit, e.g., I wanted to also disable "automatic array start" in Safe Mode but I'll leave that to a later release.

Note: be sure to copy 'syslinux.cfg' from the release zip to your flash to see a handy menu item for this.

Other changes include:

- several minor fixes in here for various drivers

- moving /var/log to a tmpfs was a bit more involved turns out, so fixed that.

- increased the kernel log buffer size to ensure all startup messages make to syslog

Barring any 'show stopper' issue this will be the last release until 5.0 'final' - no really, no kidding, well hopefully  ;D

Not necessarily a show-stopper, but is there any progress in finding a solution for the stalled CPU messages that show up when running a parity check?

Along with the 'safe mode' checkbox, I'd very strongly advocate for a mode where any automatically-initiated parity check is NONCORRECTING.  Additionally, a full 100% read-only mode which does not allow writes from any source -- parity check, reiserfs log/transaction updates/replays, etc.

There are cases where this combination could be used along with a 'force trust' procedure to salvage data that would otherwise be lost/destroyed (e.g., drive failure during upgrade of another drive).

Can confirm that a cache drive without its default settings changed does not spin down (mentioned in RC15 thread).

No plugins, not using the cache for anything else.  Settings:

Spin down delay: Use default

Share type: SMB

Export: Yes (hidden)

Security: Public

All disk settings left at default

could have a user script in unmenu to just create/delete the flag. this would just be a temp thing until it gets flushed out in the main repo.

could have a user script in unmenu to just create/delete the flag. this would just be a temp thing until it gets flushed out in the main repo.

you can't because unmenu won't be running in safe mode. ;-)

Actually you CAN because the idea was to reboot INTO safe mode.  So not sure why you would want to reboot into safe mode FROM safe mode but in that case then yes it wouldn't be running.

Actually you CAN because the idea was to reboot INTO safe mode.  So not sure why you would want to reboot into safe mode FROM safe mode but in that case then yes it wouldn't be running.

Rebooting from safe mode to safe mode may be needed during diagnosis and testing.

I do have a few questions:

1) I use the 'enable_ahci' script in my 'go' file to ensure that one of my SATA interfaces is recognised.  I presume (but haven't tried) that safe mode will fail to enable the interface and, therefore, some of my drives will be missing in safe mde.  Is it possible to have this functionality added to the 'standard' release?

Right this will be a problem for you if you need the functionality of that script.  First perhaps disable the script and see if your controller is recognized, it's possible the it's PCI id has been added to this kernel.  Also if controller is not in "ahci" mode via bios, perhaps see if there's a way to do this via bios - probably you have already done this though.  I did add an enhancement entry for this, but this will not make it into 5.0 final:

http://lime-technology.com/forum/index.php?topic=28111.0

2) I currently have 'ulimit -n 20000;' prepended to the line invoking emhttp in the go script.  I presume that this is no longer necessary?

Correct, take it out.

3) I currently have JoeL's 'sed -i " s/ show_disk ....' in the go script.  I presume that this is no longer necessary?

What does that do?

What does that do?

It changes

show_disk

into

$show_disk

prepending the "$" to the variable name in your php code where Tom forgot it.

Yes, it too can be removed. Tom fixed the syntax error in his file.  (It does not do any harm, as it was looking for the variable name without a $ before editing it.)

+1 on that as a lot of us are running headless... so the enable safe mode we need to attach a monitor for the moment

if we can tick a reboot in safe mode from the GUI would be much easier

most of us boot anyway with every plugin installed so we only need safe mode when it is not working as intended

You can edit the syslinux.cfg via the flash share to change which boot option it runs, the normal or safe mode.