[Plugin] IPMI for unRAID 6.1+

1362 posts in this topic Last Reply

I am keen to learn how to configure this plugin. 

Have installed a new AsRock Rack X570D4U w/ IPMI and connected several FANs. 

When I try to configure the plugin I receive following: 

Checking IPMI fan Locations...

Location 0-1: none
Location 0-2: none
Location 0-3: none
Location 0-4: none
Location 0-5: none
Location 0-6: none
Location 0-7: none
Location 0-8: none

Saving board configuration...

Any advise where I can start to trouble shoot? If helpful I can test & share certain configs to help to improve the plugin.

Edited by doesntaffect
  • Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I've been using this plug in for a very long time and absolutely love it.  Thanks so much!   I have a request.  Would it be possible to move the "IPMI Summary" on the Dashboard from the top

IPMI plugin for unRAID 6.1+   This plugin is for viewing the local or remote sensors and event logs of a motherboard with ipmi. Sensors can be viewed in basic or advanced mode. Sensor reading col

I just wrote a basic greasemonkey script to do this:   // ==UserScript== // @name Move IMPI elements to bottom of unRAID dashboard // @include http://YOURHOSTNAMEORIP/Dashboard // @grant

Posted Images

On 12/20/2020 at 2:39 PM, doesntaffect said:

I am keen to learn how to configure this plugin. 

Have installed a new AsRock Rack X570D4U w/ IPMI and connected several FANs. 

When I try to configure the plugin I receive following: 

Checking IPMI fan Locations...

Location 0-1: none
Location 0-2: none
Location 0-3: none
Location 0-4: none
Location 0-5: none
Location 0-6: none
Location 0-7: none
Location 0-8: none

Saving board configuration...

Any advise where I can start to trouble shoot? If helpful I can test & share certain configs to help to improve the plugin.

I'm right there with you with the X570D4U-2L2T. At least we can create fan curves inside the BMC. As for the IPMI plugin, I can kind of follow what @cakes044 did but I can't even get a config file to show up. 

189458711_ScreenShot2020-12-23at11_07_47PM.thumb.png.ed743a07153bc399e71808b6605aa5ed.png

After clicking OK and then hitting CONFIGURE, I get this:

1420703824_ScreenShot2020-12-23at11_08_05PM.thumb.png.5f1d710c70b31c430d3fdec78959e420.png

With these two motherboards becoming more popular, hopefully it'll get some special attention.

Edited by ramblinreck47
On 12/24/2020 at 6:10 AM, ramblinreck47 said:

I'm right there with you with the X570D4U-2L2T. At least we can create fan curves inside the BMC. As for the IPMI plugin, I can kind of follow what @cakes044 did but I can't even get a config file to show up. 

189458711_ScreenShot2020-12-23at11_07_47PM.thumb.png.ed743a07153bc399e71808b6605aa5ed.png

After clicking OK and then hitting CONFIGURE, I get this:

1420703824_ScreenShot2020-12-23at11_08_05PM.thumb.png.5f1d710c70b31c430d3fdec78959e420.png

With these two motherboards becoming more popular, hopefully it'll get some special attention.

That would definitely be nice, I have also tried to get it to work, but so far unsuccessfully.

Is there any way to separate SSD HDD temp readings from spinning disks? Because it seems 50C is hard-coded as a red-alert temperature on the footer and the dashboard page even though this is fine for SSDs.

At idle, my HDDs sit at about 47C and my SSD at about 55C. However, the only information I see on the dashboard and in the footer is the max temp (55C) which I'm not bothered about. I never get to see whether my max HDD temp has crept into the 50s.

8 hours ago, cinereus said:

Is there any way to separate SSD HDD temp readings from spinning disks? Because it seems 50C is hard-coded as a red-alert temperature on the footer and the dashboard page even though this is fine for SSDs.

At idle, my HDDs sit at about 47C and my SSD at about 55C. However, the only information I see on the dashboard and in the footer is the max temp (55C) which I'm not bothered about. I never get to see whether my max HDD temp has crept into the 50s.

image.png.9ffa99fe4987416d6045537a22ed29c5.png

you should be able to de-select the ssd's from the list here.

@doesntaffect @limes @ramblinreck47 the two files I needed to modify to get my asrock rack board to work are:
/usr/sbin/ipmifan
/usr/sbin/ipmi2json

My board is the EP2C612 WS, but I was getting the same issues you were getting as well, so my change may work for your model.

if you run

dmidecode -qt2|awk -F: '/^\tProduct Name:/ {print $2}'

that should give the motherboard model that dmi sees, you can then modify the script to key off of that model name like I did for "EP2C612 WS"

see the files I uploaded in this comment:

Just try replacing the text "EP2C612 WS" in those files with your motherboard model as outputted by that dmidecode command

If that doesn't work, make sure you are able to control your fans via IPMI commands outside of the plugin, ipmi-tool should be on the path on your unraid installation.  Then you can figure out how to make your motherboard work in those 2 files.

ipmifan is what actually controls the fan speed during production

ipmi2json is what the configure buttons runs to build up json files stored in.

This is the details for the ipmi command for my motherboard model, they may work for you:

Edited by Gunny
  • 2 weeks later...

Sorry if this has been explained elsewhere and if it has I would appreciate a link.  My config is in my signature but its a SuperMicro X11SCZ-F motherboard with four Noctua NF-P14s redux-1500 PWM fans connected to FAN1 and FAN4.  I have these fans set to poll the hard drives for temperatures.  The trouble is that they are running too fast most of the time and not as fast as I'd like them to during a parity sync.

I just switched to "Fan to PUE2 (Power Utilization Effectiveness) Speed" but it seems identical to "Fan to Optimal Speed." 

With my high temperature threshold set to 50 degrees the fans usually run at around 1100 RPM with hard drive temperatures around 34 degrees (normal temps in my system).  I'd like to try and get this down to around 900 RPM as the fans are much quieter here and the fans spinning at 1100 RPM isn't really lowering the temperatures anyway.  What I would like is for the fan speeds to exponentially increase with respect to temperature such that at 45 degrees the fans run at their full 1500 RPM.  The trouble with the top end is that I have never seen the fans go above 1300 RPM even when the hard drives are above 45 degrees (and even if they actually hit 50 degrees) which can happen during parity syncs in Summer.

I can get the fans to run slower by raising the high temperature threshold, but then of course they don't run fast enough when the hard drives get hot.  Is there any way to have my cake and eat it too?

Thanks for any help,

craigr

1 minute ago, craigr said:

Sorry if this has been explained elsewhere and if it has I would appreciate a link.  My config is in my signature but its a SuperMicro X11SCZ-F motherboard with four Noctua NF-P14s redux-1500 PWM fans connected to FAN1 and FAN4.  I have these fans set to poll the hard drives for temperatures.  The trouble is that they are running too fast most of the time and not as fast as I'd like them to during a parity sync.

I just switched to "Fan to PUE2 (Power Utilization Effectiveness) Speed" but it seems identical to "Fan to Optimal Speed." 

With my high temperature threshold set to 50 degrees the fans usually run at around 1100 RPM with hard drive temperatures around 34 degrees (normal temps in my system).  I'd like to try and get this down to around 900 RPM as the fans are much quieter here and the fans spinning at 1100 RPM isn't really lowering the temperatures anyway.  What I would like is for the fan speeds to exponentially increase with respect to temperature such that at 45 degrees the fans run at their full 1500 RPM.  The trouble with the top end is that I have never seen the fans go above 1300 RPM even when the hard drives are above 45 degrees (and even if they actually hit 50 degrees) which can happen during parity syncs in Summer.

I can get the fans to run slower by raising the high temperature threshold, but then of course they don't run fast enough when the hard drives get hot.  Is there any way to have my cake and eat it too?

Thanks for any help,

craigr

Try reducing fan speed minimum and or increasing low temperature threshold.

So that does it and I was able to reduce my high temperature threshold down to 45 degrees where I want it.  Will this make the fans run at 100% when the hard drives hit 45 degrees?

What exactly is low temperature threshold?  It seems counterintuitive to me that raising it will reduce fan speed, but it did.

Thanks,

craigr

20 hours ago, craigr said:

So that does it and I was able to reduce my high temperature threshold down to 45 degrees where I want it.  Will this make the fans run at 100% when the hard drives hit 45 degrees?

What exactly is low temperature threshold?  It seems counterintuitive to me that raising it will reduce fan speed, but it did.

Thanks,

craigr

So there are 4 settings, max fan speed, min fan speed, high temp threshold, low temp threshold.  If the temp drops below the low temp threshold, the fan will always be the min fan speed setting.  If the temp goes above the high temp threshold then the fan will be stuck at the max fan speed setting.  In between is basically a straight line if you were to plot temp on the x axis of a graph and fan speed on the y axis of the graph.

So if your min temp is 30 and max temp is 50, if the temp is actually 40, then the fan speed should be halfway between your max and min speeds in terms of pwm percentage.

So to finally answer your question, if your max temp is set to 45, and your max fan speed is 100%, then at 45 and any temp above, the fan will be at 100%.

15 hours ago, Gunny said:

So there are 4 settings, max fan speed, min fan speed, high temp threshold, low temp threshold.  If the temp drops below the low temp threshold, the fan will always be the min fan speed setting.  If the temp goes above the high temp threshold then the fan will be stuck at the max fan speed setting.  In between is basically a straight line if you were to plot temp on the x axis of a graph and fan speed on the y axis of the graph.

So if your min temp is 30 and max temp is 50, if the temp is actually 40, then the fan speed should be halfway between your max and min speeds in terms of pwm percentage.

So to finally answer your question, if your max temp is set to 45, and your max fan speed is 100%, then at 45 and any temp above, the fan will be at 100%.

Well that sure makes it easy.  Thanks!

Last night I rebooted the server though and the fans refused to go below their max speeds.  It sounded like I was sitting next to a jet airplane about to take off.  I tried so many setting and the fans would just sometimes slow down for an instant.  Finally had to reboot the BMC and then it was fine.  The settings in the BMC for fan mode keep changing themselves though and I don't understand how that can happen.  My choices are:

Set Fan to Standard Speed

Set Fan to Full Speed

Set Fan to Optimal Speed

Set Fan to PUE2 (Power Utilization Effectiveness) Speed

Set Fan to HeavyIO Speed

It used to be set on "optimized" but ever since I tried PUE2 now it seems to randomly be changing its self.  I tried setting back to optimized, but it still keeps changing its self and has now chosen full speed.  Fan Speed seems to override this regardless so maybe it doesn't matter?

I had my config modified for Fan Control to what seemed like good settings, but reverted it last night.  I may try putting that back in again so that the percentages aligh with what my fans can actually do.

Kind regards,

craigr

anyone know how to get this working on a Dell PowerEdge R710? i want to move over to UnRaid from Proxmox but fan control is a bit of a deal breaker for me as the server is currently in my room :D

all i want is it to automatically adjust the fans for me so it's quieter.

Edited by RazorX