Video Demo: Streaming Windows Virtual Desktops with unRAID 6

jonp

One of the things you can expect to look forward to from us at Lime Technology going forward will be more and more videos to showcase the power of unRAID 6 as well as guides on how to get the most out of your hardware.  To kick things off, I just published a new video to youtube on streaming Windows virtual desktops on unRAID 6.  Check out how to get a high-quality user experience for interacting with Windows apps using other devices that are NOT Windows-based.  Got questions?  Post them here or on youtube and be sure to share with your friends!

Right now i have a vdi for windows 7 saved on my unraid box and i use virtualbox to access it,so u can imagine just how slow it is to do anything that way. I mainly use it to strip the drm from itunes m4vs and put them into the array. Will definitely be changing to this method of running vm soon as its gonna be a HUGE boost for what im using it for!!

One of the things you can expect to look forward to from us at Lime Technology going forward will be more and more videos to showcase the power of unRAID 6 as well as guides on how to get the most out of your hardware. 

thank you

thank you

thank you

look forward to more...  :D :D :D :D

especially beginners starting from scratch

and how to achieve the all singing all dancing kvm gaming docker unraid box as showcased on CAT5 tech TV...

One of the things you can expect to look forward to from us at Lime Technology going forward will be more and more videos to showcase the power of unRAID 6 as well as guides on how to get the most out of your hardware.  To kick things off, I just published a new video to youtube on streaming Windows virtual desktops on unRAID 6.  Check out how to get a high-quality user experience for interacting with Windows apps using other devices that are NOT Windows-based.  Got questions?  Post them here or on youtube and be sure to share with your friends!

jonp, have you tried gaming under rdp ?

Is it an acceptable experience ?

You're missing out on your chance to earn a free pro key by asking here instead of on our live twitter chat happening now (http://tweetchat.com/room/unraid6released)!

For streaming games, there are far better solutions such as Steam In Home Streaming, NVIDIA GameStream, Razer Forge, and Project Moonlight.

You're missing out on your chance to earn a free pro key by asking here instead of on our live twitter chat happening now (http://tweetchat.com/room/unraid6released)!

For streaming games, there are far better solutions such as Steam In Home Streaming, NVIDIA GameStream, Razer Forge, and Project Moonlight.

they're probably clicking check for updates every 30 seconds on the plugins page. , lol.

Speaking as someone who works in IT, one of the things I do is help seismic engineers run heavy 3D multi-monitor applications remotely via 3D VDI technology. -RDP for gaming at home will not make you happy. Assuming you have the <fast enough> network bandwidth and appropriate HW in the remote desktop -Yes you will probably be able to see, hear and interact with the remote game, but the experience will be very "flat". Imagine watching one of those illegal recorded CAM versions of your favorite 3D action blockbuster movie. Yes you can technically watch and "see" the movie, but is it even close to watching it in person? RDP is not intended to "stream" that kind of graphic intensity to remote screens. You can play Solitaire or Minesweeper all day! but COD (if it runs at all) will leave you wanting more.... The servers, 10G network, GPU's and special software needed in the enterprise data-center costs many $10's of thousand$ for just for a few users and a few apps...

You best option for remote 3D game streaming is to look into a Steam box and Steam's remote In-Home streaming technology. -I am ;-)

My 2c,

BR

Speaking as someone who works in IT, one of the things I do is help seismic engineers run heavy 3D multi-monitor applications remotely via 3D VDI technology. -RDP for gaming at home will not make you happy. Assuming you have the <fast enough> network bandwidth and appropriate HW in the remote desktop -Yes you will probably be able to see, hear and interact with the remote game, but the experience will be very "flat". Imagine watching one of those illegal recorded CAM versions of your favorite 3D action blockbuster movie. Yes you can technically watch and "see" the movie, but is it even close to watching it in person? RDP is not intended to "stream" that kind of graphic intensity to remote screens. You can play Solitaire or Minesweeper all day! but COD (if it runs at all) will leave you wanting more.... The servers, 10G network, GPU's and special software needed in the enterprise data-center costs many $10's of thousand$ for just for a few users and a few apps...

You best option for remote 3D game streaming is to look into a Steam box and Steam's remote In-Home streaming technology. -I am ;-)

My 2c,

BR

Just a few things I wanted to comment on to explain, and I'm glad to see a VDI guy here, as that is the industry I came from (virtual desktops / applications).  RDP for gaming is technically possible, but requires the use of Microsoft RemoteFX, which requires the host to use Hyper-V, and may have more restrictions on supported hardware.  In short:  no remotefx = no gaming over RDP.  Games won't even launch because DirectX cannot initialize over RDP.

Now as far as Steam Box goes, the major downside is that SteamOS will only be able to stream games that are available on Linux.  Yes, Linux support for gaming has gotten better, but there is still a massive difference in the amount of available games between Windows and Linux.  For that reason, I would recommend anyone serious about streaming games in the home look at doing this from Windows.  SteamOS, however, is ideal for then receiving games streamed to it which can be from EITHER Windows or SteamOS.  So with unRAID, we can either stream games from a Windows VM to devices like the Steam Link coming out this November, or we can stream games to a SteamOS VM from another system in our home that has a more capable GPU.

Hopefully this clarified things a bit and extended on some of the really good points made by bertrandr.

My 2c,

BR

Just a few things I wanted to comment on to explain, and I'm glad to see a VDI guy here, as that is the industry I came from (virtual desktops / applications).  RDP for gaming is technically possible, but requires the use of Microsoft RemoteFX, which requires the host to use Hyper-V, and may have more restrictions on supported hardware.  In short:  no remotefx = no gaming over RDP.  Games won't even launch because DirectX cannot initialize over RDP.

Now as far as Steam Box goes, the major downside is that SteamOS will only be able to stream games that are available on Linux.  Yes, Linux support for gaming has gotten better, but there is still a massive difference in the amount of available games between Windows and Linux.  For that reason, I would recommend anyone serious about streaming games in the home look at doing this from Windows.  SteamOS, however, is ideal for then receiving games streamed to it which can be from EITHER Windows or SteamOS.  So with unRAID, we can either stream games from a Windows VM to devices like the Steam Link coming out this November, or we can stream games to a SteamOS VM from another system in our home that has a more capable GPU.

Hopefully this clarified things a bit and extended on some of the really good points made by bertrandr.

Great points -thanks.

I'll admit I am more of a "hardware guy" -currently working for a global manufacturer as a datacenter SE. Back in the day <lol> however I was deep into VMware, Citrix and early versions of Hyper-V. I will have to look closer into RemoteFX -sounds interesting! 

Regardless, being able to stream games from unRAID seems like a great next step. The NAS,  HTPC and Docker capabilities seem basically fully baked, once the VM (especially GPU passthrough) abilities are stable unRAID will make an awesome home / SOHO server / "media & entertainment appliance"... I love it!

My 2c,

BR

jonp, now you've got lots of time on your hands now V6 has been released  ;)

Reckon it'd be a good idea to perhaps do a video tutorial on how to setup docker from beginning to getting first container installed?

I've pretty much got it sussed now  ;D , but it has always conceptually been a difficulty with the various mount points and mappings..

jonp, now you've got lots of time on your hands now V6 has been released  ;)

Reckon it'd be a good idea to perhaps do a video tutorial on how to setup docker from beginning to getting first container installed?

I've pretty much got it sussed now  ;D , but it has always conceptually been a difficulty with the various mount points and mappings..

It's on the to-do list.  Doing this somewhat chronologically.  Check out the playlist I've already started:

So far, we have a vid up for installing using a PC, installing using a mac, configuring your BIOS, and just today, initial setup from the webGui.  Next up are Users and Shares, then Docker, and then VMs.

Excellent video, clear and concise.

Is this video already available on the Limetech site, perhaps a section videos can be added ?

I was explaining a new user the other day how to do an unRAID installation, but referring to this video will make it so much easier.

and just today, initial setup from the webGui. 

There's no mention of the time(frame) needed for drives to format, in the video or the "getting started" page. Is there any reason why this is being omitted?

Do you mean the time needed for formatting, which is not very much, or do you really mean the time needed to clear or preclear a drive?

and just today, initial setup from the webGui. 

There's no mention of the time(frame) needed for drives to format, in the video or the "getting started" page. Is there any reason why this is being omitted?

Because the amount of time can vary based on the disk you're formatting and the filesystem you are using.