[PLUGIN] Disk Location

Apologies if this has been mentione before or addressed already, however, my array SSD temperature is not show in the dashboard whenever i restart my UNRAID host. I have to force scan all each time after a reboot for the temperature to be detected. It only does this for the single SSD that I have connected and not the NVME drive. Any ideas? Log attached.

After reboot - 

image.thumb.png.725c6b2b9c23e59c0ffaa6e8f426fcab.png

After 'force scan all'

image.thumb.png.42efedc42d460766846626dbd0c1744a.png

Also - update is always set to disabled after reboot. I have to set to hourly each time.

image.png.9011a1f23b5dac0112a0cf7c6a119ef3.png

diagnostics-20231208-1459.zip

Edited by mikeyosm
  • 2 weeks later...

I have the strangest bug with this plugin i just noticed, i am not sure when it started but for whatever reason the plugin feels like one of my drives is "not present" yet it is detected in unraid and also detected in the disk location plugin itself so i can allocate it to a slot... Any ideas how to fix it? Unraid 6.10.3

EDIT: Force scan just fixed it

image.thumb.png.8d795a12c0ee99692d005149129f6f2a.png

image.thumb.png.8ae7d3c196dcae033c6c7b964f89d244.png

image.thumb.png.84a884bc9f9ee5a5b8a1a60c2de97d31.png

Edited by je82

Hi @FlamongOle

Thank you for this very useful plugin.

If I may offer some visual design improvement ideas. Obviously the plug in is meant to help identify where the different drives are located within your server box. The typical way I search for a drive is by its serial number. Currently, on the main Devices page, it's kind of hard visually searching for the serial number among all the info that is displayed. It would be great to let the user change the font size, font weight, and font color of the Serial Number. Much like how you allow the color configurations. If this info is not easy to parse out, perhaps, with the Serial Number is always inside parenthesis, you can extract this and give it is own class name for CSS.

image.png.4b454a7e9bded1abbc9a5c4c332ed896.png

Second suggestion. Because of my server's layout, I have 5 separate Disk Tray Layouts. I find that the disk padding between the Layouts is quite large. This forces me to have to make my browser window wider than normal. Please consider either reducing the distances shown below OR add the ability for the user to control this like how you do w/ the colors. It would be nice to see more on the screen at the same time. Here is a quick mock-up;

image.thumb.png.a07635073aff0fe264779951249f9788.png

Thank you again.

H

9 hours ago, hernandito said:

If I may offer some visual design improvement ideas. Obviously the plug in is meant to help identify where the different drives are located within your server box. The typical way I search for a drive is by its serial number. Currently, on the main Devices page, it's kind of hard visually searching for the serial number among all the info that is displayed. It would be great to let the user change the font size, font weight, and font color of the Serial Number. Much like how you allow the color configurations. If this info is not easy to parse out, perhaps, with the Serial Number is always inside parenthesis, you can extract this and give it is own class name for CSS.

Second suggestion. Because of my server's layout, I have 5 separate Disk Tray Layouts. I find that the disk padding between the Layouts is quite large. This forces me to have to make my browser window wider than normal. Please consider either reducing the distances shown below OR add the ability for the user to control this like how you do w/ the colors. It would be nice to see more on the screen at the same time. Here is a quick mock-up;

I think I just entered The Twilight Zone.

At some point I do a refresh of the Disk Location Page.... and the changes I suggest in my post above are implemented!!! I am not sure what happened... I did reboot the server.

I had to spend time investigating. Turns out sometime last year, I manually edited files and stored them in /flash/config/plugins/DiskLocations. I have a script in my server that does some tweaking around. As part of this script, I have the below lines:

cp /boot/config/plugins/disklocation/devices.php /usr/local/emhttp/plugins/disklocation/pages/devices.php
cp /boot/config/plugins/disklocation/disklocation_devices.page /usr/local/emhttp/plugins/disklocation/disklocation_devices.page
cp /boot/config/plugins/disklocation/disk.css.php /usr/local/emhttp/plugins/disklocation/pages/styles/disk.css.php

I assume these files are of an older versions of the plugin that make the design changes. But they do the job.

Just in case someone likes these edit's, I am attaching the three files. Again a warning, these are likely outdated. Here is what it looks like:

UPDATE #2:

The files did break the current version of the plugin. I cannot get into any of the Configuration screens.

I have edited the files from the latest release with those edits. I am attaching them here.

image.thumb.png.e39799f2be64a24feb0f3de8f30a1c53.png

It's scary how I forgot I did this... and that after that script executed, all of a sudden, the changes are there.

Thanks!

disklocation_devices.page devices.php disk.css.php

Edited by hernandito
  • 2 weeks later...
On 12/19/2023 at 7:22 PM, je82 said:

I have the strangest bug with this plugin i just noticed, i am not sure when it started but for whatever reason the plugin feels like one of my drives is "not present" yet it is detected in unraid and also detected in the disk location plugin itself so i can allocate it to a slot... Any ideas how to fix it? Unraid 6.10.3

EDIT: Force scan just fixed it

image.thumb.png.8d795a12c0ee99692d005149129f6f2a.png

image.thumb.png.8ae7d3c196dcae033c6c7b964f89d244.png

image.thumb.png.84a884bc9f9ee5a5b8a1a60c2de97d31.png

Force scan is a workaround but sometimes when I reboot the unraid host, the temps are not showing on the dashboard and I have to force scan each time, very annoying.

• 2 weeks later...

Update 2024.01.18b - HUGE update, really.

• IMPROVEMENT: Rewrote-ish the cronjob script, works in the plugin GUI as before. Also added back the possibility to run it via CLI again, for manual control:
php -f /usr/local/emhttp/plugins/disklocation/pages/cron_disklocation.php cronjob|force [silent]

• BUG: Yes, to both - probably (fixed old ones and created new ones).
  • IMPROVEMENT: Some minor design tweaks to fit larger systems and not using too much space on the screen/page.
  • IMPROVEMENT: Added a "hover" over the tray number on the dashboard to show the temperature.
  • BUG: Fixed a glitch in the cronjob script. (version b)
Edited by FlamongOle
  • Thanks 1

Suggestion for this plugin:

Add the ability to create a list that can be copied (tab delimited is fine), or printed (PDF), with selectable columns. Being able to print out the layout would be a huge timesaver. A simple export would be the the "enclosure" name, tray ID, size and serial number (maybe even allow to select to export only the last 4 characters of the serial number). 

I just added a 15-bay JBOD and had to move 9 drives, plus add 3 more. Being able to do the initial layout in DiskLocation made the job a lot easier, but I had to copy/paste/edit the data to get a list.

On 12/21/2023 at 6:06 PM, hernandito said:

UPDATE #2:

The files did break the current version of the plugin. I cannot get into any of the Configuration screens.

I have edited the files from the latest release with those edits. I am attaching them here.

image.thumb.png.e39799f2be64a24feb0f3de8f30a1c53.png

The last update of the plugin broke the edits I had made, per my post above.. I have revised and posting here in case someone wants to use this.

devices.php disklocation_devices.page disk.css.php

• 3 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Revan335 said:

I can't change the color of a Unassigned Device.

The second as Data detected USB Device is not connected. Only one USB Disk is connected at the same Time.

I set the color of Unassigned Device but he pasted as a Data Device/Color.

I don't understand what you mean. But USB drives are not supported.

unraid 6.12.6 - after updating locations to 2024.02.10-o24, now i have a drive that is flashing which stops if i uncheck 'flash warning' but its not clear what the warning its trying to show... recheck and on hover its:

firefox_2024-02-10_02-18-22.png

spun disk up, now instead of N/A it says 0 there.

i'm guessing the warnings are from:

firefox_2024-02-10_02-19-54.png

is the plugin just not happy with the 'command timeout' value from segates now?

firefox_2024-02-10_02-24-06.thumb.png.6c0ac18c8a6cf26aee39eeb7a90a4a86.png

1 1 1 are three different buckets, so i would imagine you would take the max value of all three buckets.. in this case 1 and compare to value which is less than 5.. so shouldnt be warning.

docs on the value and how segate does it

https://t1.daumcdn.net/brunch/service/user/axm/file/zRYOdwPu3OMoKYmBOby1fEEQEbU.pdf

firefox_2024-02-10_02-29-58.png.29f7e67320c2d5432734a2959a8daadf.png

Edited by zoggy
1 hour ago, Revan335 said:

I can't changed the color to the same as unassigned device (blue) have.

Is it recognized as an unassigned device? If so, you might need to check if it has a custom color, then change that. Eventually you might need to reset the colors, but do so after a Force scan all, in case something needs to be updated in the database.

Custom colors cannot have the same colors as the common colors.

1 hour ago, zoggy said:

unraid 6.12.6 - after updating locations to 2024.02.10-o24, now i have a drive that is flashing which stops if i uncheck 'flash warning' but its not clear what the warning its trying to show... recheck and on hover its:

firefox_2024-02-10_02-18-22.png

spun disk up, now instead of N/A it says 0 there.

i'm guessing the warnings are from:

firefox_2024-02-10_02-19-54.png

is the plugin just not happy with the 'command timeout' value from segates now?

1 1 1 are three different buckets, so i would imagine you would take the max value of all three buckets.. in this case 1 and compare to value which is less than 5.. so shouldnt be warning.

docs on the value and how segate does it

https://t1.daumcdn.net/brunch/service/user/axm/file/zRYOdwPu3OMoKYmBOby1fEEQEbU.pdf

N/A would be the temperature of the drive, you might need to run "Force scan all" to get it back, if it has a sensor. The SMART warning message should be visible under the "Devices" tab.

Disable "Command Timeout" if you have Seagate, not going to make an exception for a manufacturer, or a series of devices. It's disabled by default in Unraid, and I might change that myself as default behaviour.

4 hours ago, FlamongOle said:

Is it recognized as an unassigned device? If so, you might need to check if it has a custom color, then change that. Eventually you might need to reset the colors, but do so after a Force scan all, in case something needs to be updated in the database.

Custom colors cannot have the same colors as the common colors.

OK, he detected as data. Than i changed the color to another color and not the default Blue. Or tryed the force scan.

• Upvote 1