Unassigned Devices - Managing Disk Drives and Remote Shares Outside of The Unraid Array

3 hours ago, dlandon said:

@Squid  I need some help here.  I believe this error is in the 'checkPlugin()' script.  Can you have a look and advise?

Don't think it's CA.  You need to have him look at page source and see what function is in that line (2510)

Check Plugin (built into the OS) seems like it's not the cause since it succeeds for plugins and returns the response.

21 minutes ago, Lee B said:

I'm also getting the wavy section now on the Main page, all i was doing was trying to add a remote path in the unassigned section.

wavy.png

Ignore mine, i have sorted it, removed the remote share entries from the config files and it worked, was a permission issue back to my PC 

14 hours ago, dlandon said:

Update UD and see if it works now.

By George man, you've done it!!!  its operational now.. Cant thank you enough.. 

Have to ask, how is it I was the only one with this issue? what happened to my system that this bug popped up for?

Edited by Wiseone001
7 hours ago, dlandon said:

You need to set the SMB Security to something other than "No".  "No" means don't share any UD devices.

Ah makes sense .. that fixed it. Not sure why that was set to no since it was working before but all good now. Thanks!

On 4/12/2023 at 5:35 AM, Wiseone001 said:

should this be concerning?

image.thumb.png.b17b4a2e544ca0c5a4547bea5d683215.png

Based on the timing of your post, this message probably happened when the My Servers Cloud was down for a bit. I assume it is fixed now, if not please start a new thread over in the My Servers forum board. Be sure to mention how you noticed the problem and whether it is affecting anything

I've released a new version of UD.  Most noticeable are the changes made to help with the confusion over changing the 'SMB Security' setting from 'No' sharing devices public, to 'No' now being no sharing.  This change was made for security reasons and the user needs to specify the type of SMB security they want to use on all UD devices.  The default is 'No', meaning no SMB device sharing.  The changes are:

• When UD is updated, it will re-apply security changes to be sure they follow any changes in UD regarding security changes.  This means when a user updates now, the 'No' default setting will not share any devices.  This will make the change obvious when UD updates and not months later when someone reboots or remounts the device.
  • The device tool tip will show 'Share: Not Available" when neither SMB nor NFS sharing is enabled.
  • The 'Edit Device Settings' page will now display a message under the switches that the UD share settings have to be applied to enable device sharing.
  • Fixed a corner case when a zfs device was mounted with a Pool Name the same as another device's mount point, not allowing a 'Detach'.
On 4/19/2022 at 8:48 AM, Espressomatic said:

Can anyone recommend a definitive way to hide update notifications for Unassigned Devices along the top banner in the browser?

In Notification settings I've already un-checked all Plugin notifications but this doesn't seem to have had an effect for the notifications from Unassigned Devices.  This plugin is set to auto-update, but more often than not, I fire up the Unraid web UI between updates and  see these banners regularly.

I'm looking for the same thing, did you ever figure out a way?   In trying to fix this, I have disabled update notifications everywhere in UnRaid that I can find, but unassigned devices doesn't seem to respect those settings.  

I let the dust settle after a storm of updates so others can beta test before I accept them, so the repeated notifications are annoying (I love the plugin, I just don't need to be informed that there were minor tweaks and corrections multiple times a week!)

I see the replies saying that update notification banners are an UnRaid thing so they can't be disabled, but other plugins don't seem to do it on the main UnRaid page (that I have noticed....)

12 minutes ago, Griz said:

I'm looking for the same thing, did you ever figure out a way?   In trying to fix this, I have disabled update notifications everywhere in UnRaid that I can find, but unassigned devices doesn't seem to respect those settings.  

I let the dust settle after a storm of updates so others can beta test before I accept them, so the repeated notifications are annoying (I love the plugin, I just don't need to be informed that there were minor tweaks and corrections multiple times a week!)

I see the replies saying that update notification banners are an UnRaid thing so they can't be disabled, but other plugins don't seem to do it on the main UnRaid page (that I have noticed....)

Click update and the banner will go away.

3 hours ago, Griz said:

I understand that, but I'd prefer not to be on the bleeding edge.

If anything is done that is "Bleeding Edge", a beta version is developed for testing.  UD had a beta version setup for 6.12 testing because of all the changes that needed to be made.  The updates to the beta version were daily for a while.  That would have been way too much for the normal user.

3 hours ago, Griz said:

Shouldn't the plugin respect the Notification settings?  

That setting is how often Unraid will go out and check all plugins for updates and notify the user.  The UD plugin has a check built in whenever the UD page is enabled (clicking on 'Main' will enable the UD page) to be sure the user knows an update to UD is available.  Many other plugins do the same thing.

The UD updates are generally in the two week time frame.   When problems arise, an update will be published to solve an issue.  Generally minor issues are kept back until a more appropriate time.

I'm sorry this is such an inconvenience to you, but as I said you can update the plugin or dismiss the update banner until you are ready to install the update.

• Like 1

It was just unexpected to me for a plugin to bypass the notification system settings and display a main page banner for non-critical updates.   My update posture is to review release notes periodically and take any updates that fix security or data loss bugs... Otherwise I leave my server (including plugins and dockers) on a proven stable release and it sits quietly in the basement serving files to other devices on my LAN... this may be an edge case since this is an enthusiast community and unraid is an active hobby to many here.

Sorry that I offended you.  Your plugin adds a lot of value to unraid and I appreciate the work you do for all of us for no compensation.