[Plugin] Nvidia-Driver

ich777

1 hour ago, AndreB said:

can you help me please

You clearly didn't read to your above comment from @alturismo correct?

Please look at the first recommended post at the very top from this thread.

You can't install this driver through the plugin and even if it would install it would do nothing for you because you can't use the old legacy drivers with Docker container.

What is your use case for your card?

1 hour ago, AndreB said:

i found the driver for my Quatro 4000 " NVIDIA-FreeBSD-x86_64-390.157.tar.gz "

Nope, this is the wrong one, this would be the correct one: NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-390.157.run

But anyways, the driver would do nothing even if you install it.

1 hour ago, AndreB said:

i will get a newer card thanks for your help

Look for something like a NVIDIA T400 if you only have two or three simultaneous 4K transcodes, this is a pretty cheap and power efficient card (even new).

1 hour ago, AndreB said:

An of topic question.... since ZFS was introduce to UNRAID

No, that's not possible, yet...

• Like 1

Hey, I'm trying to use an old Quadro 4000 and the available driver versions do not suppoprt it. Is it possible to instal the 390.xx driver thru this plugin? 

Dmesg:

[   23.316462] NVRM: The NVIDIA Quadro 4000 GPU installed in this system is
               NVRM:  supported through the NVIDIA 390.xx Legacy drivers. Please
               NVRM:  visit http://www.nvidia.com/object/unix.html for more
               NVRM:  information.  The 535.129.03 NVIDIA driver will ignore
               NVRM:  this GPU.  Continuing probe...
[   23.320676] NVRM: No NVIDIA GPU found.
[   23.322568] MCE: In-kernel MCE decoding enabled.
[   23.322824] nvidia-nvlink: Unregistered Nvlink Core, major device number 241
[   23.482843] nvidia-nvlink: Nvlink Core is being initialized, major device number 241
[   23.483714] NVRM: The NVIDIA Quadro 4000 GPU installed in this system is
               NVRM:  supported through the NVIDIA 390.xx Legacy drivers. Please
               NVRM:  visit http://www.nvidia.com/object/unix.html for more
               NVRM:  information.  The 535.129.03 NVIDIA driver will ignore
               NVRM:  this GPU.  Continuing probe...
[   23.489120] NVRM: No NVIDIA GPU found.

Edited by KZ7

@KZ7

I did have the same problem with my Quadro 4000, if you read previous message you will see some good people answer that same question to me...

The Quadro 4000 is not supported by UNRAID anymore due to docker, the only driver you can use now is 470 and up and the one needed for the Quadro 4000 is 390 so you need to do like i did get a GPU that support the minimum Driver Version witch again is driver 470 and up, hope this help you like it did me...

• Like 1
On 10/30/2023 at 8:00 AM, ich777 said:

What requirements do you have?

How many streams?

How many drives are connected?

I would say if you only do transcoding from a maximum of 2 simultaneous 4K streams or maybe 4 simultaneous 1080p streams a Intel iGPU is also enough (I would recommend that you don't go lower than 10th gen).

If you only have 1x 4K stream you can even go as low as something like a Asrock N100 motherboard, this is basically a 4 core Intel Mobile GPU.

Maybe create a post in the Hardware subfroums and post what you need/want and do with the server there, this is a bit out of scope for this thread.

You can also take a look at my server over here (it's in German but you can use Google translat if you want to read), I don't have the addon cards anymore (only 2x 6 port ASM1166 SATA cards) installed, 7 spinning disks, 4 SATA SSDs and 2 NVME drives -> In this configuration (with a lot of services/containers running in the background) it draws around 50W of power with the HDDs in spindown.

I will take a look.  I had a Quadro P600 sitting around so I swapped it for the 2000 and it is being seen in the server.  I started another post due to some other issues I am seeing.  Thanks for the assist.

Hello all!

I have worked through a lot of the stumbling blocks I've encountered so far, but I'm stumped on this one. I am trying to get transcoding to work on my Plex media server, but have not been able to get it to work. It always shows Direct Stream.

I have unraid version 6.11.5.

I have an Nvidia GTX 760

I have version 470.141.03 of the driver (through reading, I discovered that this unraid version and this driver are compatible)

When looking in Settings > Nvidia Driver, I see it recognizes the correct card and gives me a GPU uuid.

In my Plex container, I have set:
NVIDIA_DRIVER_CAPABILITIES = all

NVIDIA_VISIBLE_DEVICES = GPU GUID Nvidia Driver displays
Extra Parameters = --runtime=nvidia
I have Plex Pass
I have check marks in "Use hardware acceleration when available" and "Use hardware-accelerated video when encoding"
Hardware transcoding device dropdown set to Auto
nvidia-smi shows that it sees the card, gets the card temperature and shows the right driver version.

Question 1:
In Plex transcoding configuration in the Hardware transcoding device dropdown, is it supposed to show my GPU there? If so, it's not there.

Question 2:
I have looked in a couple of locations to see if the GTX 760 is capable of transcoding. Some show yes and other show no. Does anyone have success in Plex with this card?

Question 3:
When it shows Direct Stream, does that mean it doesn't think it needs to transcode? I test using a video that is 4K (HEVC Main) showing in a web browser as the Plex client. Shouldn't this trigger transcoding?

6 hours ago, drwatson said:

Question 1:

yes, probably card just too old ...

Question 2:

then may search again, your card is not listed ...

https://developer.nvidia.com/video-encode-and-decode-gpu-support-matrix-new

you see here what it could decode only (not encode), https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nvidia_NVDEC

Question 3:

yes, direct stream (or direct play) should be the way to go @home streaming, encoding (hw) should be only used if necessarry (client not compatible) or actively wanted (sample, spare traffic for remote streaming), anything else is senseless ...

in the end, take this card out or use it for a VM Passthrough if you may want too ... bit its just a old card ... and also absolutely not efficent anymore ... for anything ;)

• Like 1
14 minutes ago, stolat01 said:

Do you support or can you add support for an NVIDIA GeForce 8400GS? I use an ASUS EN8400GS on my ASUS P8P67 board as my UnRaid server and that combination worked with my local display until recently.  

I don't understand, the driver has nothing to do with a generic display output.

Strictly speaking you don't need a driver for console or basic GUI output.

Also there is not much of a point adding a driver for a 15 year old card which you can't use for a Docker container or anything else.

Unraid 6.12.4. I have been unable to update the NVIDIA driver since 535.113.01. I have tried to update to both latest: v545.29.02 and Production Branch: v535.129.03 and rebooted in all cases. No joy. Still stuck on 535.113.01.  

Warning msg: 

Nvidia Driver: 12-11-2023 18:15

Notification
To install the new Nvidia Driver v545.29.02 please reboot your Server!

Edited by goldbondx

Hello,

I really was not sure where to post this but it looks like a good place. I have just installed unRaid on a Dell R510. It has 128Gb ram and plex official installed in a docker. It also has an Nvidia P400. My question is this: I was wondering if the install procedure at the beginning of this thread was still valid. Also, is it actually worth it to go to HW transcoding? I plan on using this server for nothing but Plex...

thx guys...