[Plugin] Appdata.Backup

I installed this plugin yesterday after upgrading Unraid to version 6.12.4. It seemed to work fine, except when it tried to back up the Krusader and Plex containers. Krusader isn't important, but Plex is quite critical. Plex's app data folder is about 34GB and has over 1.1 million files. Could this be related to the issue?

This is the error I get
[16.10.2023 06:29:28][][Plex] tar creation failed! Tar said: ; gzip: stdout: Input/output error; tar: Child returned status 1; tar: Error is not recoverable: exiting now

Edited by TrondHjertager
On 10/13/2023 at 2:01 PM, cinereus said:

Wow. Just found out my appdata has not backed up for 6+ months. Not great!

Here's the error I'm currently getting:

[13.10.2023 12:20:29] Backing Up appData from /mnt/user/appdata/ to /mnt/user/backup/appdata/[email protected]
[13.10.2023 12:20:29] Separate archives disabled! Saving into one file.
[13.10.2023 12:20:29] Backing Up
/usr/bin/tar: /mnt/user/backup/appdata/[email protected]/CA_backup.tar: Cannot open: No such file or directory
/usr/bin/tar: Error is not recoverable: exiting now
[13.10.2023 12:20:29] tar creation/extraction failed!
[13.10.2023 12:20:29] Verifying Backup
/usr/bin/tar: /mnt/user/backup/appdata/[email protected]/CA_backup.tar: Cannot open: No such file or directory
/usr/bin/tar: Error is not recoverable: exiting now
[13.10.2023 12:20:29] tar verify failed!
[13.10.2023 12:20:29] done

Still getting the same issue. Looks like a tar error.

It's not a "tar error", it's that it can't create the file. Can you create a directory/file manually in /mnt/user/backup/appdata? The share may be full/underlying drive corrupted and gone read-only, or the backup share/appdata folder don't even exist.

Edited by Kilrah
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1
On 10/12/2023 at 5:38 PM, Psihoza said:

Having issues with backing up flash drive...

No clue. I call the native flash backup method, so no own magic here.

On 10/12/2023 at 8:17 PM, audioclass said:

Could we get an option to link container shutdowns?

Absolutely! Nice idea. A grouping option is already on the list.

On 10/13/2023 at 3:01 PM, cinereus said:

Wow. Just found out my appdata has not backed up for 6+ months. Not great!

Were notifications disabled?!

On 10/14/2023 at 2:21 AM, KnifeFed said:

please, remove the forced notification.

The next days, Im on it.

• Like 1
8 hours ago, Magaman said:

Having an issue trying to restore

Dont select the ab_ folder, select the parent folder.

6 hours ago, TrondHjertager said:

I installed this plugin yesterday after upgrading Unraid to version 6.12.4. It seemed to work fine, except when it tried to back up the Krusader and Plex containers.

Please provide debug log either by ID or as attachment

9 hours ago, TrondHjertager said:

I installed this plugin yesterday after upgrading Unraid to version 6.12.4. It seemed to work fine, except when it tried to back up the Krusader and Plex containers. Krusader isn't important, but Plex is quite critical. Plex's app data folder is about 34GB and has over 1.1 million files. Could this be related to the issue?

This is the error I get
[16.10.2023 06:29:28][][Plex] tar creation failed! Tar said: ; gzip: stdout: Input/output error; tar: Child returned status 1; tar: Error is not recoverable: exiting now

DebuglogID: 97b5df4c-4eea-448c-bb13-71fe0f6186cb

2 hours ago, dopeytree said:

docker.img

If your Unraid is set up properly, the docker.img file is only a few minutes to recreate, and contains no user data, only common downloadable application run files.

The only exception is any custom docker networks, they need to be redone before applying the previous apps download section.

The appdata backup is all that is needed to recreate your docker ecosystem.

- livert file

That is taken care of already by this plugin as well, the libvirt.img is where the xml files live, so that's already done.

any VM's

VM's really need to be backed up with client software inside of the VM, I use Urbackup, it works well, and doesn't need the VM to be shut down to take a good backup. Any attempt to back up the virtual machine vdisk files while the VM is up will result in a snapshot of the running VM, which doesn't take into account any files the VM has open in RAM and hasn't committed to disk. This is a risky way of backup, sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. If you are ok with shutting down the VM before you take a backup of the vdisk, that's fine, it will work 100%

I prefer backups done from inside the VM, that way it's also more portable. If I want to restore to a bare metal box I have an easy way to do that.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1
On 10/16/2023 at 10:49 AM, Kilrah said:

It's not a "tar error", it's that it can't create the file. Can you create a directory/file manually in /mnt/user/backup/appdata? The share may be full/underlying drive corrupted and gone read-only, or the backup share/appdata folder don't even exist.

Thank you. I fixed the error there wasn't enough space.

Unfortunately I didn't get any notifications though.

Hi,

I can't see all the pictures of my containers in the settings.

1.png.0fe32cd13350ec0d3d7015e99aebd579.png 2.png.3f4c0bacc5152df44b619119ae20b659.png

Only the picture from heimdall I can see.

At the docker-page I can see all pictures.

3.png.11f3fb991d87d2ff3416442dd5e394b3.png

For heimdall I used the template from CA. For the other containers I have created my own.

Does anyone have an idea what this could be?

Thanks.

Not a question or a complaint or anything, but I recently added a new "unassigned devices" partition and set it up to be used with Appdata Backup. Tested it out, took almost an hour, worked fine.

I had to reboot the server yesterday, and didn't notice I forgot to turn on "auto-mount" for my AppdataBackup partition/drive. So when AppdataBackup ran at it's scheduled time, it didn't do anything. Except that I got a "Success" notification sent to me - Backup done [0h, 0m]!

Seemed weird, and then I figured out what happened, but perhaps the tool could confirm the destination path exists?

1 hour ago, Chunks said:

Seemed weird, and then I figured out what happened, but perhaps the tool could confirm the destination path exists?

Well, it does exactly this. It checks if the destination is available and writeable. But I will look if I find an issue.

On 10/21/2023 at 3:14 PM, KluthR said:

Well, it does exactly this. It checks if the destination is available and writeable. But I will look if I find an issue.

I tested it manually, and I definitely did get an error this time. I still get the "The backup was successful and took 0h, 0m!" message, but this time it was proceeded by an error message.

So I really don't know what happened last time. Either the message got eaten somehow, or the conditions were different. Sorry for reporting so quickly.

On 10/15/2023 at 10:31 PM, TrondHjertager said:

This is the error I get

I'm actually having the same exact problem as you.  Any chance you found a resolution to it? Thanks!

9 hours ago, physikal said:

I'm actually having the same exact problem as you.  Any chance you found a resolution to it? Thanks!

Nope, nothing yet. I posted the DebugLogId in this thread, but haven't heard anything yet. If I can't get the plugin to work with plex, then I guess I'll just have to write an rsync script or something to backup up my plex appdata ☹️

I searched and have not found another instance of this, but when I include backing up the flash drive, it makes it read-only every time a backup is run. Is this normal/expected behavior. My understanding is this is calling the native flash backup function which does NOT have this behavior, so unclear on what is causing this behavior. Thank you

Update: I just tried the built in flash backup utility again and it also makes the drive read only after a backup.

Edited by fatty-insecurity5877