[OUTDATED] Extended Docker configuration page

UPDATE:

In a small demonstration of my gratitude, I made some changes last night, so version 2014.07.10 is out:

- Added SickRage, Deluge and NZBGet templates;

- TCP/UDP port protocols are now set by a select box, so are the Read/Write | Read Only modes for volume mappings (NAS suggestion);

- Fixed (I hope) an issue discovered by nacat78;

- Added and/or improved some descriptions with directions to help users setup correctly their fields (bjp999 suggestion);

- Now the default directory for the configuration volume of each container is /mnt/user/appdata/{container name} (suggested by NAS);

Again, thank you a lot!

edit: fixed some credits (thank you bjp999)

Nice work. I am really impressed how feature complete this is already.

I will sticky your thread now as IMHO everyone who uses docker here should use it.

Feature request:

Allow users an option to read the dockerfile before they commit to a template. For example I haven't looked but I am betting XBMC server still uses Ubuntu 12.10 which no other docker will because it is EOL and out of support. There are obviously reasons for that but users should be able to make an informed choice about this stuff etc ahead of time and whilst we want to hide the sausage making by defauly it is always nice to offer a window to open to peek inside if someone want.

Kudos again

That will require you build the image locally. Pulling images from Docker Hub doesn't involve Dockerfiles, neither the images are configurable by the user. This is something that I'm thinking a lot these days.  Building images locally has many advantages:

1) It's safer, since the instructions are stored in the user machine, so theoretically it mitigates the possibility of injected malicious codes inside images, especially those found on Google.

2) Users can add some features according their needs.

3) It can be faster, since only the base image needs to be downloaded from Docker Hub.

Disadvantages:

1) Make the support a bit difficult, especially the updates, but this can be mitigated by this plugin.

• Replies 635
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

hmm yes I had assumed we could just include a copy of it in say the XML but that is meaningless as it could change without warning.

I am not so sure about the building locally thing. Not because I disagree just that I haven considered that approach before.

Will podner

Guys, thank you all for your donations, you made my coding a LOT easier with these new tools (Sublime Text + SFTP and GIT plugins).

Special thanks to (in order of donations):

StevenD, nacat78, Chris B., JM2005, ljm42, dalben, Troy O., bkastner

Donation period is now over.

There is another awesome member here that deserves some generosity too: needo . Let's poke him to accept some of our money!  ;D

Again, thank you all for donations, encouragement and feedback!

Appreciate your plugin gfjardim. I'll look out for any other tools you may need in the future and contribute (this month has been crazy money wise). Plugin made playing around with docker much easier, as well as future management. I do live on the command line all day at my job, but sometimes you just want to click buttons.  :) Thanks again!

I think there is a race condition on boot up with this plugin.  I was watching my console last night and spotted a 404 when it was trying to get to the plugins home/download page.  I assume it's version checking it something.

Nothing fails, just an annoying 404.

I just noticed a small problem with the plexWatch template:

https://github.com/gfjardim/dockers/blob/dockerMan/dockerMan/templates/plexWatch.xml

plexWatch does not work in bridge mode; it has to be run in host mode because it needs to be able to access plex at 127.0.0.1.

Are you sure? Can't it access plex though the external address?

hmm... plexWatch does have a config file that allows you to specify an IP address and a user/pass, but I was never able to get it to work.  For me, the only thing that worked was specifying "localhost", and that didn't work as bridge.  I'm fine if you want to leave it as-is though to see if other people are successful.

I did have sucess with this on the commandline:

--net="container:PlexMediaServer"

If you aren't tired of tweaking the script that might be another good option to add.  For now I'm fine running plexWatch as host.

I just noticed a small problem with the plexWatch template:

https://github.com/gfjardim/dockers/blob/dockerMan/dockerMan/templates/plexWatch.xml

plexWatch does not work in bridge mode; it has to be run in host mode because it needs to be able to access plex at 127.0.0.1.

Are you sure? Can't it access plex though the external address?

hmm... plexWatch does have a config file that allows you to specify an IP address and a user/pass, but I was never able to get it to work.  For me, the only thing that worked was specifying "localhost", and that didn't work as bridge.  I'm fine if you want to leave it as-is though to see if other people are successful.

I did have sucess with this on the commandline:

--net="container:PlexMediaServer"

If you aren't tired of tweaking the script that might be another good option to add.  For now I'm fine running plexWatch as host.

This is a Plex feature. Or you use authentication in plexWatch, or you put 172.17.0.0/255.255.0.0 in your Network/Advanced/GDM configuration.

https://support.plex.tv/hc/en-us/articles/200430283-Network

just like to say a big thank you for this excellent piece of work! discovered it yesterday and after reading all of this thread here installed it. install went flawless.

basically you took docker for me from sth i was reading up on like a maniac to a 'instant' implementation.

keep up the great work! you took docker for the average user (like me) from a book with a million question marks to a valuable unraid option!

cheers, L

I've tried the new "update" ability on the plugin, and it works great, excellent work.

However, there is one little 'glitch' in the process.  it's only cosmetic, and doesn't affect functionality, but I wanted to report it anyway.  Attached screenshot is what I see when I click update (notice cutoff text)

update.jpg.e4fb63588c297fcd10b557371e5abbdd.jpg

I've tried the new "update" ability on the plugin, and it works great, excellent work.

However, there is one little 'glitch' in the process.  it's only cosmetic, and doesn't affect functionality, but I wanted to report it anyway.  Attached screenshot is what I see when I click update (notice cutoff text)

I forgot to fix this, thanks a lot for point it. Fixed.

One questions and one idea.

Question:

docker images | grep 566c91aa7b1e

needo/mariadb      latest              566c91aa7b1e        7 days ago          590.6 MB

but via addon

TAG IMAGE ID CREATED VIRTUAL SIZE REMOVE

needo/mariadb:latest 566c91aa7b1e 1 week ago 563.3 MB

I am missing something obvious here why they dont match?

Idea:

Show Volume on disk usage sizes against each volume mapping.

On a side note at first i thought you could get this in the popup file browser i.e. 10 objects: 4 directories, 6 files (29,4 MB total) but that is misleading being the total is for the 6 files only not the 4 directories.

Edit: this  might not be a good idea actually unless what unraid does and have a button to kick of the du -h. I dont mind it being default on cache but its probably a bad idea if its a non cache array drive

One questions and one idea.

Question:

docker images | grep 566c91aa7b1e

needo/mariadb      latest              566c91aa7b1e        7 days ago          590.6 MB

but via addon

TAG IMAGE ID CREATED VIRTUAL SIZE REMOVE

needo/mariadb:latest 566c91aa7b1e 1 week ago 563.3 MB

I am missing something obvious here why they dont match?

Idea:

Show Volume on disk usage sizes against each volume mapping.

On a side note at first i thought you could get this in the popup file browser i.e. 10 objects: 4 directories, 6 files (29,4 MB total) but that is misleading being the total is for the 6 files only not the 4 directories.

1) They don't match because they are calculate differently. I grab the info directly from the socket at /var/run/docker.sock, in JSON format; the date is in unix epoch and the size, in bytes, so I have to convert. Take a look to see how it's done.

https://github.com/gfjardim/dockers/blob/dockerMan/dockerMan/DockerClient.php

2) That file browser is in unRAID's core, it's the same you see when browsing a share, so nothing I can do here.

That makes sense I just wanted to understand if there was a difference in what the number represented.

I probably went on too much about the built in file browser and forked my own idea. I think it is important to be able to see the size on disk of your config volumes via the webgui (i.e. without forcing the user into ssh land and since it cannot be done via cifs due to permissions.)

UPDATE:

Version 2014.07.19:

- Fix update popup height (here it is, JustinChase);

- Add Dropbox template.

Looks good!  I was wondering if you thought about putting a remove my xml file feature?  I made serveral test one's from your templates and i have to go to the flash to delete them. But of course make it so you couldn't delete the default ones.

UPDATE:

Version 2014.07.19:

- Add Dropbox template.

Looks good!  I was wondering if you thought about putting a remove my xml file feature?  I made serveral test one's from your templates and i have to go to the flash to delete them. But of course make it so you couldn't delete the default ones.

Version 2014.07.19-1:

- Add feature: remove user templates.

UPDATE:

Version 2014.07.19:

- Add Dropbox template.

Version 2014.07.19-1:

- Add feature: remove user templates.

Wow that was fast!  Thank You!

Just tested it and it works great!!