[Support] Linuxserver.io - OpenVPN AS

On 8/7/2019 at 10:32 PM, coolasice1999 said:

I was using the IP address to try to connect.  I don't have a password on the share, it is set as public.  All my networked PC and devices can access the shares,  but not my Windows PC through openvpn

Looks like it has something to do with my company laptop being attached to a domain.  Didnt want to screw with the settings, but it works on my personal laptop just fine.

Setup:

• 2 NICs
  • Followed @ken-ji's solution to sidestep the mcvlan security
    • No bonding between interfaces
    • No IP assigned to eth1
    • Replace docker's eth0/br0 settings with eth1/br1
    • Move all containers that were on custom:br0 to custom:br1
  • Setup the openvpn-as container
    • Version: 2.6.1-ls11 (seems to be the most stable)
    • bridge mode
  • VPN settings
    • Added my subnet to the routing section

Test:

• My openvpn client can connect to the server
  • I can reach my unraid GUI
  • => Problem: I cannot access any of the containers running on custom:br1

I went through the last ~25 pages of this topic. There were a few posts complaining about a similar issue then they went silent. I couldn't see any replies to their questions (unless I missed them of course). Any help is appreciated.

@jfrancais you seem to have had a similar issue. Ever managed to resolve it?

Edit 1: I tried to ping/telnet the custom:br1 containers through the openvpn-as container's shell, but couldn't. I believe this means a problem with the network settings. I am sure I followed the steps that @ken-ji outlined.

Edit 2: Changing the openvpn-as container to host mode allows me to ping/telnet custom:br1 containers through the shell. However, vpn clients still cannot connect to custom:br1 containers!

Edited by Jenardo
11 hours ago, Jeffarese said:

I'm getting this error: 

service failed to start due to unresolved dependencies: set(['user', 'iptables_live', 'iptables_openvpn'])

has anybody been able to make this work with the latest versions?

I've already tried an old version recommended in the thread.

Check your container configuration. I usually get this error when I am not using host or bridge network modes (as described also by other users earlier in this thread).

On 9/2/2019 at 11:07 AM, Jenardo said:

Setup:

• 2 NICs
  • Followed @ken-ji's solution to sidestep the mcvlan security
    • No bonding between interfaces
    • No IP assigned to eth1
    • Replace docker's eth0/br0 settings with eth1/br1
    • Move all containers that were on custom:br0 to custom:br1
  • Setup the openvpn-as container
    • Version: 2.6.1-ls11 (seems to be the most stable)
    • bridge mode
  • VPN settings
    • Added my subnet to the routing section

Test:

• My openvpn client can connect to the server
  • I can reach my unraid GUI
  • => Problem: I cannot access any of the containers running on custom:br1

I went through the last ~25 pages of this topic. There were a few posts complaining about a similar issue then they went silent. I couldn't see any replies to their questions (unless I missed them of course). Any help is appreciated.

@jfrancais you seem to have had a similar issue. Ever managed to resolve it?

Edit 1: I tried to ping/telnet the custom:br1 containers through the openvpn-as container's shell, but couldn't. I believe this means a problem with the network settings. I am sure I followed the steps that @ken-ji outlined.

Edit 2: Changing the openvpn-as container to host mode allows me to ping/telnet custom:br1 containers through the shell. However, vpn clients still cannot connect to custom:br1 containers!

@Jenardo can you show the actual network settings? ip addresses and routes? and the same info from within the openvpn-as container?

6 hours ago, aptalca said:

Host networking doesn't work on the latest unraid. Plenty of posts in this thread if you search.

Use bridge networking

I read your earlier posts and it said that.
Interestingly, I initially configured the container for bridge mode. It worked. I changed to host, it still worked. Maybe it's a glitch on my side!

On 9/6/2019 at 9:09 AM, ken-ji said:

The only thing I see that could be wrong is that your openvpn-as copintainer is in host mode right? if so, make sure its bound to br0 not eth0 (I think that's how bridges should be used.) Does the openvpn-as container work in custom network mode work? (set to br1 with own IP address)

I tried all three options:

• Custom:br1 - vpn server does not start ... gives the "service failed to start due to unresolved dependencies" error that everyone has been complaining about.
  • Bridge mode - vpn server starts but all the custom:br1 containers are unreachable from the vpn client. I tried to ping/telnet the custom:br1 containers through the openvpn-as container's shell, but couldn't.
  • Host mode - vpn server starts and I can ping/telnet the custom:br1 containers successfully from the openvpn-as container's shell. However, all the custom:br1 containers are unreachable from the vpn client.

Edit: @ken-ji any ideas?

Edited by Jenardo
On 9/1/2019 at 2:11 PM, aptalca said:

I have this same error and I tried this and I can't login using the default password. It doesn't work in either admin or normal loging with the default admin/password combo. What can I do? I am weirdly, still able to login into the VPN via my iphone can't get into the webUI!

On 9/1/2019 at 12:57 PM, Jaster said:

Hey Guys, I just pulled the latest version and the server isnt starting anymore (or at least is not accessable).

image.thumb.png.d28104b012d934b01b6c913d62f89351.png

image.png.ce33dec75f8132de7548bea61255a2c4.png

What can I do?...

I have this same error, and don't know what to do. I tried the default username and password with no luck and I can't remember if i set the passwords as local or pam. How can i fix this to log in???

EDIT: I found that I had to go into the console, install nano (since nano wasn't on it), and then I was able to do the last step in the link you posted.

Edited by Ustrombase
found my answer
7 hours ago, Ustrombase said:

I have this same error, and don't know what to do. I tried the default username and password with no luck and I can't remember if i set the passwords as local or pam. How can i fix this to log in???

EDIT: I found that I had to go into the console, install nano (since nano wasn't on it), and then I was able to do the last step in the link you posted.

For future reference and other users, you don't need to install nano inside the container as you can edit the file on the host under the mapped config folder

8 minutes ago, aptalca said:

For future reference and other users, you don't need to install nano inside the container as you can edit the file on the host under the mapped config folder

So that was what I tried first using krusader but couldn’t find the config file. I can’t remember now but I couldn’t find it. But I will try again to look for it to make sure the changes took effect there too. Thanks for the suggestion 

58 minutes ago, ryoko227 said:

Just a gentle reminder, the support link in the docker tab still takes you to the incorrect forum link listed above.

We did it so we don't get so many questions...

I have no idea what happened, but this is nothing we have done. Might be it was this thread @trurl

merged with another thread and it got a new number.

I'll change the template to the new one.

Thanks for the info.

Edited by saarg
6 hours ago, saarg said:

I would like to blame @Squid

but unfortunately I can't. Actually I can, as the problem is in CA, so he probably changed the number in the link 😜

Whatever.  Have you even looked at the URL in your template?

<Support>https://forums.unraid.net/topic/41631-support-linuxserverio-openvpn-as/</Support>

Edited by Squid

Good evening Guys,

I started reading from page 60 to 63 and i don't see anyone having this issue. I went online and searched on google and i came across this website https://discourse.linuxserver.io/t/openvpn-as-unable-to-login-since-latest-container-update/583.

The error I am getting is below: 

session error: argument of type 'nonetype' is not iterable: flat/twist:24,flat/ten:83,flat/flatstan:103,flat/ten:70,flat/ten:61,flat/flatstan:264,flat/ten:70,flat/ten:61,flat/flatstan:247,flat/flatstan:236,admin/astatus:165,admin/astatus:147 (exceptions.typeerror)

I already tried the fix that was there and it did not work. All i am trying to do is keep admin from populating again after i delete it. I tried changing the # boot_pam_users.0=admin to # boot_pam_users.0=kjhvkhv and it still does not work. However, then I added # boot_pam_users.0=admin and # boot_pam_users.0=kjhvkhv and still dont work. The only thing that works is just leaving boot_pam_users.0=admin like normal and then i am able to get into my other accounts. Any help will be appreciated.

Thank you very much.

image.png.ca2c21a776eabba1eadade6711682a56.png