unRAID6-beta7/8 POSSIBLE DATA CORRUPTION ISSUE: PLEASE READ

limetech

Once I updated to b8, I offloaded each disk in the array one at a time, formatted the disk XFS, and then reloaded each disk.  As far as I know, I haven't had any issues.  I don't do a lot of writing to my array.  Mostly reads.

I'm kind of glad I made the move to XFS on all my drives.

• Replies 239
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So after I update to b9, if I delete everything I uploaded while on B8 and recopy will it be ok?

I only copied a few rips over, which I can redo.

Or from an earlier post if I understand correctly just the fact that I copied a few new files to the array on b8 means existing files could have been corrupted not just the new files I copied over?

Will be quite some work if other stuff is corrupted .....  But I knew the risks when running beta

Thanks

Chuga

I suspect that I've already encountered this bug ...

After I'd copied my LogitechMediaServer configuration files to appdata, while moving to Docker, I found that one of my LMS plugins wasn't starting up.  Checking the error log, I could see that a syntax error was being reported for one of the .pl source files.  Upon inspection, I discovered that the source file was truncated.  I still had the original, so re-copied that one file, and all seems fine now.

Eagerly awaiting beta9 now ....

After I'd copied my LogitechMediaServer configuration files to appdata, while moving to Docker, I found that one of my plugins wasn't starting up.  Checking the error log, I could see that a syntax error was being reported for one of the .pl source files.  Upon inspection, I discovered that the source file was truncated.  I still had the original, so re-copied that one file, and all seems fine now.

Doesn't docker need BTRFS, and this only applies to REISER?

After I'd copied my LogitechMediaServer configuration files to appdata, while moving to Docker, I found that one of my plugins wasn't starting up.  Checking the error log, I could see that a syntax error was being reported for one of the .pl source files.  Upon inspection, I discovered that the source file was truncated.  I still had the original, so re-copied that one file, and all seems fine now.

Doesn't docker need BTRFS, and this only applies to REISER?

Incorrect logic, on two counts.  Firstly, as of beta8, the docker btrfs is a logical device which can exist on any host file system.  Secondly, the appdata is held on an ordinary user share because it needs to be accessible from the host system.

Beta 9 is imminent. Wait for it..

Imminent - as in 1-2 hours, or 1-2 days?

My largest array drive is 2TB but I only have 2 almost-empty 1TB drives (cache and docker drives), and am contemplating moving to xfs formatted drives via these two.

Need to put the build through some testing before we will release.

Okay, so the reported corruptions are truncated files and garbage at beginning of files.  So, it would seem that the file truncation I experienced was, almost certainly, caused by this bug.

The frightening thing is

Filesystem is clean and reiserfsck found nothing.
meaning that there is no known way of detecting the corruption except by examining the file contents!

Looks like I'll be running a checksum verify once b9 is released :o

I've been working on a script called "bitrot" that generates a SHA256 key fore files and stores it as an extended attribute on the file itself. I've got my media scanned, I'll be running a verify after beta 9. I'll try to get the script posted soon, was working on adding nice-to-have features.

Looks like I'll be running a checksum verify once b9 is released :o

I've been working on a script called "bitrot" that generates a SHA256 key fore files and stores it as an extended attribute on the file itself. I've got my media scanned, I'll be running a verify after beta 9. I'll try to get the script posted soon, was working on adding nice-to-have features.

i would very interested in getting a copy of the script!

Running Beta 7 since some time and moved around 2.5 T of data from ReiserFS to XFS.

Some files had SHA checksums just as control mechanism so I guess/hope everything is fine.

Biggest issue is the router runs as a VM and is stored on the  cache drive which is still ReiserFS :) and this machine writes a bit of data on daily basis (logs)... still running. I'll let you know if something unusual happens. Sadly, there is no way to stop the router and replace it with another at this moment.