Dynamix - V6 Plugins

Just now, thedeadliving5 said:

Thanks, I will start there, but I am pretty sure my PowerEdge does not have a PCI-E x1 slot so I will need to find one with a different slot.

It works on any pcie x1/x4/x8/x16 slot.

Edited by johnnie.black
Just now, thedeadliving5 said:

I just realized this is all for not, I'm using the integrated SAS/sata backplane so I don't have individual power for the SSDs. I might just buy a card to replace the LSI that supports trim and will support all my HDDs.

LSI 9207-8i supports trim, it uses the SAS2308 chipset, other models based on the same chipset should also work, 9211 and all others SAS2008 based won't work.

@bonienl

I'm having problems with the S3 sleep plugin. It does sleep the server, but it does not recognize the correct spindown state of the drives. It often happens, that the system goes to sleep, even if there are still disks that are not spun down. See here:

Apr 18 20:39:46 lafiel s3_sleep: Extra delay period running: 33 minute(s)
Apr 18 20:40:46 lafiel s3_sleep: All monitored HDDs are spun down
Apr 18 20:40:46 lafiel s3_sleep: Extra delay period running: 32 minute(s)
Apr 18 20:41:26 lafiel kernel: mdcmd (121): spindown 0
Apr 18 20:41:27 lafiel kernel: mdcmd (122): spindown 2
Apr 18 20:41:46 lafiel s3_sleep: All monitored HDDs are spun down
Apr 18 20:41:46 lafiel s3_sleep: Extra delay period running: 31 minute(s)
Apr 18 20:42:46 lafiel s3_sleep: All monitored HDDs are spun down

I've also attached my diagnostics file with the full log. Its easy to see, the plugin thinks all disks are spun down, while 0 and 2 were still running and spun down later by the system.

It was once working, then it stopped and needed a fix, where the user would need to add a command to spinup all disks on wakeup from sleep. Now it does not work any more even doing this.

Is there a known solution or is the reason known, why it doesn't work? Is there anything I can do, to make it work again?

lafiel-diagnostics-20170418-2031.zip

40 minutes ago, Smitty2k1 said:

Is there a way to check SMART with unassigned devices and an external USB HDD? I get "can't read SMART attributes" when I click on the drive name.

Cross posting this to unassigned devices.

Depends. Some USB adapters pass SMART info generically, some don't. Apparently that specific one doesn't. Try using the drive manufacturer's specific utility.

@bonienl first of all, thank you for all your great plugins and the fantastic job you've done with the WebGUI (even back in the 5.x days)!

After installing my first SSD cache drive, I got a warning from Squid's excellent FCP that I didn't have Trim installed. After doing so, I had 2 observations:

1) I had NO idea where to go to find the settings for it. Some of your plugins very conveniently have a clickable button that takes you to the config page, some don't. Not all of them set up their config pages in the same section of the menus, so it's not particularly obvious (at least to me) where to go for each individual batch of settings. Would it be possible to make them all have the "button click takes you to the config page" functionality? I searched this thread for "trim", and, fortunately, saw that I'm not the only one with this issue. I was able to follow the directions in response to other's requests to find it.

2) Once I found the config, I had no idea what kind of settings to provide. Some more searching in this thread lead me to these three messages: (sorry, couldn't seem to get the last one to embed with the quotes from the previous two :( )

On 8/22/2016 at 0:58 PM, kaiguy said:

Apologies if this has been asked before, but is there a recommended interval to run SSD Trim?  Would this interval be influenced if I'm running a cache pool of multiple SSDs?

Thanks in advance!

On 8/22/2016 at 2:20 PM, bonienl said:

The interval depends very much on your usage pattern. I have mine set to every week, which isn't putting any unnecessary strain on the SSD, while the interval is short enough to avoid SSD performance degradation.

On 8/22/2016 at 6:14 PM, John_M said:

I believe you can run fstrim as often as you want without putting any strain on the SSD at all. It will only free up pages of cells that are no longer in use. If there are none flagged then it doesn't do anything. I run it once a day. See here.

this is great info for those of us who aren't yet that familiar with SSDs and Trim operations. I think it would be a great service to all of us less knowledgeable types if you were to include a link to John_M's comment (it includes quotes of all the rest), and/or include some info along these lines in your description of the plug-in in your OP. It would also probably save you and/or Squid (or others) having to answer these questions time after time.

Again, thanks for all your excellent work! (You, too, Squid!)

1 hour ago, graywolf said:

Great. Working properly also.

CA still showed it as Up to Date but removed and reinstalled and now showing version 2017.04.23d and working properly.

Greatly appreciated

Just FYI,

CA doesn't actually check for updates for any app.  What it does is report if unRaid shows that an update is available after it checks.  Those checks can either be run manually via the Plugin Tab (or Docker Tab) Check For Updates) or on a schedule via Settings - Notification Settings.

I'm trying to run Cache Directories from the GUI using "-a" but it looks like the GUI can't handle quotation marks. Here is the line I am trying to add:

-a '-noleaf \( -name "Folder 1" -prune -o -name "Folder  2" -prune -o -name "Folder 3" -prune \) -o -print'

Can this be addressed, or is there a better way to run this?

• Upvote 1

hi, i have a problem with "S3 Sleep" plugin. Sleep itself works fine, but when the disks are spun down, and my server goes to sleep and wakes up again, the disks begin to rotate (spin up) but are shown as in standby (spun down) ... so they never really spin down.

how can i avoid that behavior?

9 hours ago, Fire said:

hi, i have a problem with "S3 Sleep" plugin. Sleep itself works fine, but when the disks are spun down, and my server goes to sleep and wakes up again, the disks begin to rotate (spin up) but are shown as in standby (spun down) ... so they never really spin down.

how can i avoid that behavior?

You need to add an after wakeup command to spin (up or down) the drives. It has been discussed elsewhere in this thread, see the link below. 

yeah, i already read that ... but if i add the command

for disknum in 0 `ls /dev/md* | sed "sX/dev/mdXX"`; do /usr/local/sbin/mdcmd spindown $disknum; done

something very strange happens ... the server is in S3 -> i send a WOL or press the button -> the server comes back so life, the disks spin up -> on the webinterface, the array is shown as stopped, but the button says "Stop" not "Start", the array is ready for edit (i could reassign disks etc, so i think its stopped), and then, some seconds later, the server shuts down, and that all on its alone, i did nothing after wake up the system

Edited by Fire

Hi I have in the last 30 minutes just updated the Dynamix System Buttons plugin. The red button on the top right hand-side of the interface for starting or shutting down now ceases to work so I am unable to start the array or shut down any advice on the way forward would be great version 6.3.3.