[Support] Linuxserver.io - Plex Media Server

2 hours ago, captain_video said:

I try to keep unRAID up to date.  I'm wondering if files get purged after a certain amount of time or if they get deleted when updating the OS.  FWIW, I had uninstalled the limetech Plex docker and that is now showing up in the previous apps as you would expect.

Nothing gets removed from flash when you update the OS. Just a small number of files get replaced.

In case you don't know it, unRAID doesn't actually run from the flash drive, and only accesses it at boot or to store changes you make in the webUI. At boot, the OS is unpacked fresh from the archives on flash into RAMfs and the OS actually runs in RAM.

I think that if you gave the limetech plex the same name as the linuxserver plex when you accidentally installed it, then the previous settings for linuxserver plex were overwritten by the limetech plex settings you made. Previous Apps just works from the "my-templates" stored on flash, which are named based on the name you give the docker when you create it.

hi all, I have been using Plex docker linuxserverio for a few months, working well.  previously, was on needo but moved over

in last month or so, I have been having a problem where the servers (i have two) are not found.  Plex apps on iphone/ipad/appletv/web for example are constantly saying 'offline'

weirdest thing is i have tried reinstalling, rebooting, stopping starting, but nothing seems to help.  I do update regularly (linuxserver seems to have a weekly update each saturday morning).  Bizarrely, it seems to work around 5% of the time.  Last night for example i opened the plex app on my phone, and everything was there, and successfully played a file from each server!  but woke up this am, and everthing has been down all day

one other odd thing- this problem started a few weeks ago.  last week, i moved to a new home and am using a different ISP provided router (netgear ac1750).  I was kind of wondering if this problem might be related to my previous linksys router, but the problem is persisting even with the new router! 

any pointers to set me in the right direction?  have moved into new home with a great home theater, but can't access any media (first world problems, i know lol)

48 minutes ago, grither said:

hi all, I have been using Plex docker linuxserverio for a few months, working well.  previously, was on needo but moved over

in last month or so, I have been having a problem where the servers (i have two) are not found.  Plex apps on iphone/ipad/appletv/web for example are constantly saying 'offline'

weirdest thing is i have tried reinstalling, rebooting, stopping starting, but nothing seems to help.  I do update regularly (linuxserver seems to have a weekly update each saturday morning).  Bizarrely, it seems to work around 5% of the time.  Last night for example i opened the plex app on my phone, and everything was there, and successfully played a file from each server!  but woke up this am, and everthing has been down all day

one other odd thing- this problem started a few weeks ago.  last week, i moved to a new home and am using a different ISP provided router (netgear ac1750).  I was kind of wondering if this problem might be related to my previous linksys router, but the problem is persisting even with the new router! 

any pointers to set me in the right direction?  have moved into new home with a great home theater, but can't access any media (first world problems, i know lol)

need to post your config

12 hours ago, ijuarez said:

They are both running on host mode so essentially they are fighting each other on port 32400, unless you changed them.

Sent from my BND-L34 using Tapatalk

Interesting. I have had it this way for three years with no issues. I believe tower is running on 32400 and chimera is running on 32401. Any way i can confirm or try a change?

I guess one thing to note is even with one server or the other off, i have the same issue

update:  deleted my port forwarding rules in the router and shut off one server. Can now see other server and stresm!  Interesting. 

update:  tried putting back port forward for one server, and stopped working.  deleted port forward, rebooted router, but don't seem to have it working yet

any suggestions?  

Edited by grither
19 hours ago, grither said:

Interesting. I have had it this way for three years with no issues. I believe tower is running on 32400 and chimera is running on 32401. Any way i can confirm or try a change?

I guess one thing to note is even with one server or the other off, i have the same issue

update:  deleted my port forwarding rules in the router and shut off one server. Can now see other server and stresm!  Interesting. 

update:  tried putting back port forward for one server, and stopped working.  deleted port forward, rebooted router, but don't seem to have it working yet

any suggestions?  

Regardless of the port forwarding you can't have two containers both running as host at the same time using the same ports.  Shutdown your working container, then start the one you're struggling with and see if you can access it. 

Might be an idea to use a custom network for the second Plex server.  Plex uses more than just 32400 so I don't think changing that one port in the Plex webui is going to work.

Sorry just to clarify I have two instances of plex each on its own physical server (tower and chimera). Currently can access neither, perhaps due to the conflict you mention

Just stepped out but when home soon I will stop the chimera plex container and see if that makes a difference for the tower plex .

From Plex support

Manual Port Forwards for Multiple Servers
If you have more than one Plex Media Server to connect on your local network, you can set up Remote Access for all of them. Things work basically exactly as outlined above, except that you will need to choose a unique external port number for each server. To do this:

Choose a different unique port number for each of your Plex Media Servers
Remember, you must use a different WAN/external port for each server connection you want to have here. For instance, you could use ports 32401, 32402, etc.
Forward that unique external port number to LAN/internal port 32400 for the local IP address of the corresponding computer running that Plex Media Server – follow the previous instructions
For example, imagine you have two computers running Plex Media Servers and their internal IP addresses are “192.168.1.11” and “192.168.1.22”. In that situation, you might set up forwards such as:

Server 1
IP Address: 192.168.1.11
WAN/External Port: 32401
LAN/Internal Port: 32400

Server 2
IP Address: 192.168.1.22
WAN/External Port: 32402
LAN/Internal Port: 32400

So I'm guessing you set it up like this, just to make sure, your servers have different ips

Sent from my BND-L34 using Tapatalk

13 hours ago, ijuarez said:

that is 100% exactly what I have had setup for a few years now, and working perfectly until recently.  two different external ports, forwarding to the same internal port, but on two different servers.  i had also learned the hard way that not all routers let you forward an external port, to a different internal port.  ie some routers only let you forward an external port number, to the exact same internal port number.  just a watch out for anyone planning on launching a second server.

so brief update-  as of now, everything is working!  sadly, I can't tell you exactly what caused things to come back up.  I suspect it may be an access point that i installed, maybe not correctly which might have been screwing things up on the internal network.  can't really be sure unfortunately, would like to help others but am uncertain how it got back to working.  plus i supposed it might be temporary and everything may go offline again, but I am praying not lol.

but a new problem has started!  I was out briefly last night, and tried my plex app, certain it would say 'offline' because i had deleted the plex port forwards for trouble shooting (ie wanted to get things working inside network before attempting to re-setup external access).  To my surprise, i was able to stream media off both servers!  and yet, i have no port forwards setup for plex!  now i'm wondering if i should be concerned, that i can access my internal network without a port forward??  I do have the remote access i wanted, but highly surprised its working without a port forward, and nervous.  or am i missing something- is there a scenario where i can stream from plex, without a port forward??

EDIT to new problem.  Ok i see that i may have indirect connection setup.  so i guess i'm not connecting directly to server, but perhaps through plex service somehow?

Edited by grither
On 8/4/2018 at 9:50 AM, steve1977 said:

I tried with curl instead, but getting an error message. I am new to PMS, so hope someone can make some sense out of the error message. I really hope to find some way to import my existing playlists, which were done at great efforts and I don't want to lose...

curl -X POST http://192.168.11.xxx:32400/playlists/upload?sectionID=6&path=Downloads/Test.m3u&X-Plex-Token=removed
[1] 93875
[2] 93876
-bash: X-Plex-Token=removed: command not found
[2]+  Done                    path=Downloads/Test.m3u
Computer:~ user$ <html><head><title>Unauthorized</title></head><body><h1>401 Unauthorized</h1></body></html>

Also tried running the command directly from the command line (SSH) on Unraid. Something is still not working. Would be great if you guys have any thoughts? I'd really like to find a way to import my playlists into Plex. There is undocumented feature below that works for some (as confirmed by Plex forum), but somehow I cannot get it work. Maybe not possible with Unraid docker?

root@Tower:~# curl -X POST http://192.168.11.xx:32400/playlists/upload?sectionID=6&path=/mnt/disk1/Test.m3u&X-Plex-Token=removed

[1] 25513

[2] 25514

-bash: X-Plex-Token=removed: command not found

[2]+  Done                    path=/mnt/disk1/Test.m3u

root@Tower:~# <html><head><title>Unauthorized</title></head><body><h1>401 Unauthorized</h1></body></html>

24 minutes ago, c3ham said:

Hi 

I am having issues with the plex docker when transcoding movies my server terminates the streams due to no memory can anyone help me resolve this issue I have attached some logs and my setup thank you in advance for any help

Capture.PNG

Capture1.PNG

seems like you're running out of memory and don't have zenstates (dunno how to install it) installed ..

but that's just reading the log messages..............

33 minutes ago, c3ham said:

Hi 

I am having issues with the plex docker when transcoding movies my server terminates the streams due to no memory can anyone help me resolve this issue I have attached some logs and my setup thank you in advance for any help

Capture.PNG

Capture1.PNG

You are also posting your sabnzbd setup and not your plex setup. 

2 hours ago, c3ham said:

Oops will post the correct plex setup once I get home I am running 8gb how much ram is required ?

That might be a little bit too little for plex. You have to remember that unraid needs some also. If you play a blu-ray rip or a compressed one, you will fill those 8gb  before the movie ends. 

Hey all,

Recently I've been having problems with plex constantly going down, not entirely sure why this is happening. I've been monitoring the logs and the plex docker, but nothing points to any error or issues. It was resolved for a long time after I updated my Unraid to the latest version, something about a library that the older unraid was using. Now it seems to have started happening again, the constantly crashing of plex. It is just plex, all my other containers aren't crashing. What logging information should I be looking at? The container isn't responsive on localhost, and plex.tv says the server is offline. 

Any assistance would be helpful!

Thanks.

I've been bashing my head against the wall for the past week as I too have had my Plex docker container go offline, it stay up for about 30 seconds every 5-7 minutes. I've got a discussion thread on the Plex forums about it. At first I thought it was a network DNS rebind issue (wasted 4 days of my long weekend on that). 

Plex recently has changed how the networking is done, there's also a new Advanced server feature that lets you select which network interface to use that apparently just got added.

Since last week, no container I've used, be it, linuxserver.io, Binhex's plex or his plexpass. All three have the same issue. 

I even fired up my old previous unRAID box, Chimera. (I saw this server name earlier in this thread. :) The current one is named Bellerophon.) I also spun up a full build of Ubuntu 16.04 LTS on my ESXi box and it too (which made me think it was my network) had this problem. I haven't revisited it yet and tried the new watch network interface, but the VM only had one interface which was directly bound to my local network.

Reading the logs as soon as they say "Aug 07, 2018 10:05:02.800 [0x14d5c5bff700] DEBUG - MyPlex: We appear to have regained Internet connectivity." 

The server vanishes and won't appear for another 30 seconds in a few more minutes.

https://forums.plex.tv/t/plex-server-only-online-for-30-seconds-every-7-minutes-or-so/293805/7

Just to be clear, this is on my internal network, the issues of trying to watch it remotely are at the mercy of the server being up or not.

I've tried two of the four interfaces that appear, I've tried it in both host and bridged mode too assigning it an external new IP address, same results.

So before I try firing up a windows box to use plex with (shudder) please, anyone have any ideas?