[Support] Linuxserver.io - Nextcloud

I think my problem with trying to get this working again via reverse proxy is that I can't get it to work even internally with a changed webroot. If I set this on the config.php:

'overwritewebroot' => '/nextcloud'

It doesn't work for some reason. I can't see any obvious errors in the error.log or even anything really in the access.log that would suggest why it fails once the webroot is changed.

Hello,

I have been having problems with Next Cloud for a while now, caused by the Docker being updated two major versions as I didn't realise the issue with that.  I've been around the houses trying to get this sorted out and got it to the point where NextCloud appears to be working, but accessing the WebUI internally gives me a 404 Not Found error relating to nginx and accessing the Console, again internally gives me a 502 error, bad gateway.

I'm not getting any errors in the logs for either NextCloud or MariaDB and I'm not really sure what I need to do now to make any more progress. 

What I would like to do now is remove the Docker entirely and start again, but I do not want to lose my database and files as they are now.  Is there an easy way to do this, or do I need to persist with solving my actual issues and then update things a major release at a time to get back up to date?

On 9/6/2023 at 6:51 PM, sausuke said:

Can anyone help me with userscript with preview generator? I don't know why this is not working but when I googled and ask chat gpt this it give? It seems the occ files are not there anymore with update? What should I edit to use it in userscript for nextcloud? Thanks

docker exec -u abc nextcloud php /config/www/nextcloud/occ preview:generate-all -vvv >> /mnt/user/appdata/nextcloud/preview_generate.log 2>&1

Hi, if you've installed or upgraded to Nextcloud 27 and above then you will find that the command path that you've entered no longer works. I figured this out yesterday.

Instead to access occ do this:

docker exec -it nextcloud /bin/bash occ (followed by the rest of the command that you want)

For example:

docker exec -it nextcloud /bin/bash occ preview:generate-all

Let me know if that helps or you have found anything else that I may have missed.

On 9/13/2023 at 7:26 PM, Mattti1912 said:

Hello 

I´m having a problem. I´ve tried to increase the upload size and memory on nextcloud using php.ini file. But it does not work. 

Is there anywhere else i have to edit?

best regards

Hi,

Change this in your nginx configuration file. Mine is done on my reverse proxy nginx. Are you using a reverse proxy? If you're still stuck then respond and I will see if I can help with examples.

On 9/6/2023 at 3:51 AM, sausuke said:
docker exec -u abc nextcloud php /config/www/nextcloud/occ preview:generate-all -vvv >> /mnt/user/appdata/nextcloud/preview_generate.log 2>&1

You should be able to run

docker exec -it nextcloud occ preview:generate-all -vvv >> /mnt/user/appdata/nextcloud/preview_generate.log 2>&1

You do not need to specify the user, the php command, or the path to the occ application. We built an alias in to the container to handle all of that.

On 9/8/2023 at 8:27 PM, nraygun said:

I know the overall best practice for maintaining the container is to pin a specific tagged version, but what is the best practice for when to change the tagged version of the Nextcloud and MariaDB containers? On a major release, on a point release, etc.?

This is really up to you. Personally I run the latest tag, but I am uniquely positioned to be aware of incoming changes (and possibly responsible for some of them).

We do what we can to keep the releases usable with the latest tag and account for upgrade paths, but it's not always possible. Nextcloud was a unique case where prior to version 27 our image did not handle updating nextcloud itself, it only updated the underlying dependencies. With the release of our image for nextcloud 27 and above, we now include the nextcloud application inside the container, and updates SHOULD run smoothly if you use the latest tag and update when updates are available.

It's a good practice to be more in control of your updates and pin tags and update manually, if for nothing else then to be aware of when an update is being applied rather than waking up to an overnight automatic update breaking your instance.

The best way to track updates is by subscribing to release notifications on https://github.com/linuxserver/docker-nextcloud

• Like 1
On 9/13/2023 at 4:26 AM, Mattti1912 said:

Hello 

I´m having a problem. I´ve tried to increase the upload size and memory on nextcloud using php.ini file. But it does not work. 

Is there anywhere else i have to edit?

best regards

You likely also need to update your nginx files. Specifically:

/config/nginx/site-confs/default.conf

This line: https://github.com/linuxserver/docker-nextcloud/blob/3accfcac32414f739ef312281d256a3fc9a47c6f/root/defaults/nginx/site-confs/default.conf.sample#L29C31-L29C31 would need to be adjusted to match your max upload setting in php. you may also need to update the timeout line right below it. After making the changes, restart the container.

On 12/22/2022 at 3:54 PM, SDEN said:

Hi

Trying the app "Memories" for nextcloud, but im recieving this error when running the indexer for memories.

Possible to get exiftool in the docker?

root@b495e7fc2f6d:/# occ memories:index
Checking database indices

MIME Type support:
  image/png: supported
  image/jpeg: supported
  image/heic: not supported
  image/png: supported
  image/tiff: supported
  image/gif: supported
  image/bmp: supported
  image/x-dcraw: not supported
  video/mpeg: supported
  video/webm: supported
  video/mp4: supported
  video/quicktime: supported
  video/x-matroska: supported

Some file types are not supported by your preview provider.
Please see https://github.com/pulsejet/memories/wiki/File-Type-Support

WARN: Failed to create stay_open exiftool process
Exiftool timeout: [/config/www/nextcloud/apps/memories/exiftest.jpg]
Couldn't read Exif data from test file: Could not read from Exiftool
FATAL: exiftool could not be executed or test failed
Make sure you have perl 5 installed in PATH

Was there any solution to this issue? I am getting the same issue. I would remove that nextcloud app, but have no idea how to do this without access to the nextcloud GUI. 

21 hours ago, iXNyNe said:

This is really up to you. Personally I run the latest tag, but I am uniquely positioned to be aware of incoming changes (and possibly responsible for some of them).

We do what we can to keep the releases usable with the latest tag and account for upgrade paths, but it's not always possible. Nextcloud was a unique case where prior to version 27 our image did not handle updating nextcloud itself, it only updated the underlying dependencies. With the release of our image for nextcloud 27 and above, we now include the nextcloud application inside the container, and updates SHOULD run smoothly if you use the latest tag and update when updates are available.

It's a good practice to be more in control of your updates and pin tags and update manually, if for nothing else then to be aware of when an update is being applied rather than waking up to an overnight automatic update breaking your instance.

The best way to track updates is by subscribing to release notifications on https://github.com/linuxserver/docker-nextcloud

Thanks @iXNyNe!

If you have yours setup to update to the latest tag, how do you handle the updates to the .conf files? I think the updates add new .sample files, and if there are any changes to the .conf files for your configuration, I think you'd have to merge in any changes from the new .sample files.

On 9/20/2023 at 12:39 PM, Aerodb said:

Was there any solution to this issue? I am getting the same issue. I would remove that nextcloud app, but have no idea how to do this without access to the nextcloud GUI. 

You can install exiftool via https://github.com/linuxserver/docker-mods/tree/universal-package-install

Basically adding two variables to your container.

pinging @SDEN for visibility.

On 9/21/2023 at 8:10 AM, nraygun said:

Thanks @iXNyNe!

If you have yours setup to update to the latest tag, how do you handle the updates to the .conf files? I think the updates add new .sample files, and if there are any changes to the .conf files for your configuration, I think you'd have to merge in any changes from the new .sample files.

Again, I am typically the one making those changes, and usually testing them before they are released to the public.

For the most part, if you haven't modified any of your .conf files, you can just delete them all and restart the container and they will be replaced with updated copies. We do generally try to include some automated migrations/adjustments to nginx confs when possible if there's a breaking change. If it's not a breaking change (ex: your setup should continue working without updated confs) we log a message in the container logs to let you know you should update them manually. There are also scenarios where an automated update to .conf files is not possible, but the logs will still show the warning, so I recommend checking the logs if you have any issues.

• Like 1

Since the last view updates (I don't know, maybe 3 or 4 docker container updates ago) the nextcloud container keeps on spnning my parity drive and the drive on which the nextcloud share is located up.

Does somebody else see this behaviour?

As mentioned, couple of version ago it was working fine. Yes, the drives had to been spun up, each time I enter the webinterface of nextcloud by still the drives were able to spin down.

The share for nextcloud is setup as Cache -> Array.

Hello,

I have an issue with my Nextcloud docker.

I used the docker button to update the version from 25 to 27 but then I couldnot open the Nextcloud again because there is an issue with the existing data. Then I changed the repository to 25.0.2 again and I wanted to start the WebUI again but now I receive an 404 Not Found - nginx error.

Can anyone help me to run Nextcloud again please?

Thanks.

tower-diagnostics-20230929-2149.zip

8 hours ago, Pete0 said:

Does somebody else see this behaviour?

actually this behaviour was always like this ... depending on usage and installed plugins ...

just look whats on your NC data Share and it should be clear ... simple sample ...

image.png.af1cd80bc6e24f15e38009e4a60cf306.png

8 hours ago, Pete0 said:

As mentioned, couple of version ago it was working fine. Yes, the drives had to been spun up, each time I enter the webinterface of nextcloud by still the drives were able to spin down.

then you must have been very lucky or you never had any activity in NC at all (which is uncommon) like sync clients etc ...

also a reason why NC data Share shouldnt be running on a array Share when you like your disks in spindown ... recommended is a SSD Share (cache drive) and Backups ...

8 hours ago, Island_Keeper said:

I used the docker button to update the version from 25 to 27

and you did look at the pinned Info on this Thread ? also 2 Posts upper yours ... or the last few pages about Update ...

8 hours ago, Island_Keeper said:

Can anyone help me to run Nextcloud again please?

may look at the NC logs what they say, starting from clicking NC Docker, logs, ...

once you figured what it causes it like maintenance ... read into it howto disable it and then read the instructions howto update now to v27 and why it changed ...

On 9/30/2023 at 6:01 AM, alturismo said:

then you must have been very lucky or you never had any activity in NC at all (which is uncommon) like sync clients etc ...

I didn't use any clients to sync. I only accessed it outside my home network to upload/download files.

Hello all, 

has anyone already gained experience with the workflow "Automated PDF conversion"? https://apps.nextcloud.com/apps/workflow_pdf_converter
According to the documentation, LibreOffice must be available on the server for this: Https://github.com/nextcloud/workflow_pdf_converter

After a recent update I started to get the following error...

msedge_X15LL6Jj3z.thumb.png.a0bdb168432bfd25228df6e7e3507022.png

The info on the link doesn't really address the issue. It mentions ocs-provider rather than ocm it mentions in the error. Very little info on google about the issue. I use NPM as my RP, not sure if that's the issue. Any help would be appreciated. Again this was never an issue until one of the recent updates.

9 minutes ago, tazire said:

After a recent update I started to get the following error...

msedge_X15LL6Jj3z.thumb.png.a0bdb168432bfd25228df6e7e3507022.png

The info on the link doesn't really address the issue. It mentions ocs-provider rather than ocm it mentions in the error. Very little info on google about the issue. I use NPM as my RP, not sure if that's the issue. Any help would be appreciated. Again this was never an issue until one of the recent updates.

I had the same warning yesterday and got it resolved.

On the discord of linuxserver, I got the tip to update three conf files.

When you open the logs of your nextcloud docker, do you see a message, where it says, that you use older versions of ssl.conf, nginx.conf and site-confs/default.conf?

If yes, you can do the following:

1. cd /mnt/user/appdata/nextcloud
2. mv nginx.conf nginx_backup.conf
3. cp nginx.conf.sample nginx.conf

Repeat step 2 and 3 for all three files, then

docker stop nextcloud && docker start nextcloud

Then check in the nextcloud, if you have any warning and in that case, resolve them. 

Hope this helps. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Upvote 1