Passwordless SSH login

Sorry guys, but I haven't had problems with this on any other of my server. I don't know what I'm doing wrong. Would someone be so nice and could please write a step by step guide for setting up Unraid with ssh keys so login is possible without a simple password.

Thanks in advance. Much appreciated.

• 6 months later...
On 1/20/2022 at 5:23 PM, monarc said:

Sorry guys, but I haven't had problems with this on any other of my server. I don't know what I'm doing wrong. Would someone be so nice and could please write a step by step guide for setting up Unraid with ssh keys so login is possible without a simple password.

Thanks in advance. Much appreciated.

I know there are better solutions than mine, but since you ask, I'd like to share my own solution, step by step. If you want a very simple solution (with minor issue), you may skip to the end and read the P.S. section.

The key point of using SSH client without a password is the file '~root/.ssh/authorized_keys', my solution is to create a folder to save it and restore it in the next boot.

1. Create a folder on the UnRAID flash, I use /boot/config/misc/ssh

mkdir -p /boot/config/misc/ssh

I'll put the setup scripts and SSH keys in this folder.

2. Copy the current client keys into the above folder:

cp /root/.ssh/authorized_keys /boot/config/misc/ssh/

3. Also copy the UnRAID's SSH client keys (so I can ssh from UnRAID to other servers without password), my key files have the names id_rsa, id_rsa.pub:

cp /root/.ssh/id* /boot/config/misc/ssh/

4. Create a script to copy these files back into root's .ssh folder in the next boot, I create a file /boot/config/misc/ssh/setup_ssh_client.sh, contents shown below:

#!/bin/bash

SSH_DIR=/root/.ssh
mkdir -p ${SSH_DIR}
chmod 750 ${SSH_DIR}

cp /boot/config/misc/ssh/authorized_keys ${SSH_DIR}/
cp /boot/config/misc/ssh/id_rsa ${SSH_DIR}/
cp /boot/config/misc/ssh/id_rsa.pub ${SSH_DIR}/

chmod 600 ${SSH_DIR}/authorized_keys
chmod 600 ${SSH_DIR}/id_rsa

The script simply creates the /root/.ssh (if it doesn't exist), and then copies all the keys I saved earlier into it.

5. Now I need to find a way to let my script run during the next boot, the script '/boot/config/go' is executed at the very end of the bootstrap, so it's an ideal place to start my script, I modified it and added the following lines at the end:

cp /boot/config/misc/ssh/setup_ssh_client.sh /tmp/
chmod a+x /tmp/setup_ssh_client.sh
/tmp/setup_ssh_client.sh

Note: since the scripts on /boot can't be executed, I have to copy it to /tmp to run.

5. Done.

To test if the above settings work, erase current /root/.ssh folder (backup it first if you want), and then manually enter the commands in step 5 one by one, your .ssh folder should be restored, otherwise something's wrong in the above procedures.

From now on, each time /root/.ssh/authorized_keys is changed, I need to redo step 2 to copy it back to the flash, fortunately I don't have to this often becuase the clients don't change frequently.

P.S. AFAIK, there's a very simple way to accomplish 'ssh to UnRAID without password', create a folder on flash, say /boot/config/ssh_keys, then make /root/.ssh a symbolic link to the folder, that's as easy as adding a line in /boot/config/go:

ln -s /boot/config/ssh_keys /root/.ssh

and it's done. But it has a minor issue, when you issue rsync commands from UnRAID, you may get some errors as shown below:

hostfile_replace_entries: link /root/.ssh/known_hosts to /root/.ssh/known_hosts.old: Operation not permitted
update_known_hosts: hostfile_replace_entries failed for /root/.ssh/known_hosts: Operation not permitted

the rsync will still run though. I just don't like these error messages, so I prefer my way.

Edited by georgez