SpencerJ

How many TB's is your Unraid Server?

How many TB's is your Unraid Server?  

476 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

61 posts in this topic Last Reply

On 9/22/2019 at 10:19 AM, jonathanm said:

Huh? If you have SSD data drives mixed with a spinning rust parity drive in the main array (not cache) you are getting the worst possible combo for performance and data safety.

Either have an all SSD array parity included and deal with possible parity sync errors and lack of trim, or only put SSD's in the cache pool. Mixing them in the main array means you still have the possibility of parity corruption and no trim, plus all writes will be limited by the speed of the parity drive.

Hopefully I misunderstood what you were saying.

Currently i've had no trouble that I can pinpoint to an actual configuration problem, But to clarify, nope, I have all SSD as the Array. A single 4 TB HDD Parity for now. The object is to update to full SSD eventually. The HDD/SSD mix was in the Array but I have recently upgraded all drives to SSD. 

Not a hundred percent clear on what the issue would be with that. (Besides performance limitations due to the parity drive but I plan on upgrading that as well)

Where would the sync errors come from in an SSD prominent system? Is there a lack of TRIM in Unraid? I am not clear on what is being conveyed.

Edited by RogueWolf33

13 minutes ago, RogueWolf33 said:

Where would the sync errors come from in an SSD prominent system? Is there a lack of TRIM in Unraid?

https://unraid.net/blog/unraid-14th-birthday-blog

Read the answer to the second question.

SSD's in the parity protected portion of the array are not currently supported. That will change, but for now, you are treading in somewhat uncharted waters.

30 TB, Going to be throwing a little more storage in there next week when the new machine arrives, upgrading from my current hodgepodge mess in a norco 4224 to a supermicro 24 bay, the case upgrade is mostly just quality level the CPU going from a Athlon II x4 965 to a pair of Xeon 2630 v2's and from 16bg to 32 gb of ram is going to be best part, that and having 34 sata ports available for drives, current machine only has 16 at the moment, more bays than i can hookup.

*edit* new machine is going to see the 2tb Cache join the array, as well as an additional 2tb, 1tb 500gb drive I have laying around (currently preclearing on a spare machine) and I'm considering tossing in a few 2.5inch drives I have as well, will be using 8 256gb ssd's to replace cache drive.

unraidsize.thumb.png.57275dedaea78c0ad66c0536a2431099.png

Edited by ibixat

1 hour ago, stefan marton said:

you user only 1 disk for parity ?

I use 2 Parity once I go over 14 data disks.

Are good points for single and dual parity. Is a choice on which way to go.

you user only 1 disk for parity ?
Yeah 1 disk for parity I need a new case I've ran out of room for more drives

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

On 9/23/2019 at 12:58 PM, jonathanm said:

https://unraid.net/blog/unraid-14th-birthday-blog

Read the answer to the second question.

SSD's in the parity protected portion of the array are not currently supported. That will change, but for now, you are treading in somewhat uncharted waters.

This mentions parity, I agree. However, if the Parity drive is still Mechanical and the array drives are SSD, I only see a write hit if I am not mistaken. I am currently attempting to confirm that my drives support DZAT to be sure I will not run into issues in the future. I appreciate you putting me on this track so I can ensure I do not run into any issues. 

I’ve got 106 TB of usable space, plus 32 TB as double parity. Some time ago I got rid of my Supermicro 5x3 cages and replaced them with 4x3 cages with 12 mm fans (much quieter). I had to reduce the number of array drives so it took some time to replace the previous drives with larger ones. I’m going for 16 TB drives at the moment (2 at the moment used for parity). The smallest one is 8 TB.

I’m planning to replace current drives with larger ones when I need more space. I don’t plan to do any kind of upgrade in terms of case in order to increase again the number of drives.

Edited by stomp