[Plugin] Appdata.Backup

Some questions I wonder about the new plugin:

1. What does the "Verify Backup?" do, how is it verifying?
2. The "Ignore errors during backup?", does it report errors but contunue, or is it also not warning about errors in nitification/log?

3. Can I get an example of the  tar's glob syntax with two folders? (ref Excluded folders/files)
4. I see that in the old plugin the, the "libvirt.img" was backed up, not there is just some config in libvirt/qemu (ref Backup VM meta?) What is this, how is it different from before?
5. I guess not, but can this plugin backup VM's?

Last update has an issue with notifications, woke up to a slew of "warning: skipping verification for this container because its not wanted!" on unraid and discord just because the 

Verify Backup?
Normally, tar detects any errors during backup. This option just adds an extra layer of security

is off. 

image.thumb.png.e72446247f1b6376271ff32859f1643c.png

Also got some "XML file for [container] was not found!", those are from compose stacks.

These should be at most info and not trigger the notification system as they are normal and will just spam everyday.

Edited by Kilrah
33 minutes ago, Kilrah said:

These should be at most info

I would say, Warning is ok. It warns you, that it might be an issue, that some XMLs are missing. But I agree with the "not wanted" entry, that could go into the Info section. Maybe switching to error level for notifications is better for your setup?

EDIT: I believe I got you wrong. Your setting IS errors only, right? There is a bug, that also sends warnings out. I'll fix that.

@Flemming

1. It starts tar again in vberify mode and compares the source against its just made copy. Any differences would be cause an error
  2. It logs the error, but inside another category (Info instead of Error) and even continues the process as it were successful.
  3. I dont work with it, I just noted it there. There is also a link, ponting to tars manual page
  4. This version backups the XMLs from the .img mount, not the img itself anymore
  5. Guessed right ;)

@kjames2001 Thats weird, that this is working now for you. Maybe I make the change permanent (any update will reset the manual change)

Edited by KluthR

🩹 Instead of no notifications, a new bug sent too much. Fixed! 😅

🔧 If a container stop-command fails, the plugin now tries again with docker stop variant.

@KluthR thank you for adding that. will try it next sunday and hope it will solve my stopping problem. i will report then.

9 hours ago, adminmat said:

I got a error when it was verifying the tar for Krusaider. "tar verification failed! More output available inside debuglog"

Is there actually anything in the krusader appdata folder? Might be failing because it's empty and doesn't check for that

Edited by Kilrah
On 5/9/2023 at 6:22 AM, KluthR said:

Sorry, the old backups are not compatible with the new plugin and therefore not available for restore. If you need something unpack it by yourself. After some time you can discard they.

Ouch!

I got the appdata in place. Is there a way to restore my templates/countainers as they were from the backup?

Hi @KluthR

New to using this plugin and think I'm doing something wrong.  I've mostly taken the defaults in the plugin template.

When starting the backup; I notice the compressed file is very very large compared to the actual container size on disk.

docker system df -v  (23mb)
image.png

plugin backup size of container on disk (31+ gb)image.png.b3f0e9b547a5b769bbbfeafec28c29f4.png

in the plugin configuration I have the value set to no for saving external paths.  The external volume for krusader is /mnt/user

What am I doing wrong here?

Edited by repomanz
On 5/9/2023 at 5:22 AM, KluthR said:

Sorry, the old backups are not compatible with the new plugin and therefore not available for restore. If you need something unpack it by yourself. After some time you can discard they.

It is a pity then that on installing this plugin and using the same settings as the old CA plugin, that the new plugin's retention policy then deleted a load of my older backups that I would have kept separate if I had known that non-compatible directories would be deleted..  Why not just have a prompt to keep old backups before the install date?

Thanks for a great plugin. I would love to have a global exclude, like the old plugin. In that one, I had e.g.:

.cache,.caches,*.log,*.log.*,*.tmp,cache,Cache,caches,Caches

Although, since the exclude paths need to be absolute now, why have them per container anyway? I feel like it would be easier to maintain excludes in a single place. Or am I missing something?

Edited by KnifeFed
On 8/7/2023 at 2:18 PM, KluthR said:

You are the first for me :) Dont stop -> No: Stops it (default). Dont Stop -> Yes, leave them running. Maybe I adapt the wording in a future update.

Something like this would make more sense, IMO:

"Stop container before backup? RECOMMENDED" Yes/No

Hi I am seeing an error when back up tries to save files

/mnt/cache/Backup/unRaid_AppData/ab_20230807_030001-failed/plex.tar /mnt/disk3/Backup/unRaid_AppData/ab_20230807_030001-failed/plex.tar.partial (28) No space left on device

Debug Log: eda19c6c-d105-4c07-a556-c63c15995a68

my back up folder is on share set to highwater but it keeps trying to save to disk3 which doesnt have sufficient space.

Disk 3 currently has the most space but my backup seems to over 1.5tb which is causing an issue. Can it split the files into smaller chunks?

EDIT:

Noticed compression wasnt enabled so will try with this on which should help reduced the size.

Edited by bally12345

I'm getting a warning in the logs and the folders are creating with a -failed added since upgrading from the old version. all the individual appdata folder are getting backed-up and log says for all that the back was created without issues. Log attached of most recent backup.

EDIT: Just checked too and my plex appdata folder was never included even though it is not set to skip 

backup.log

Edited by helvete
additional info