[Support] Josh5 - Unmanic - Library Optimiser

Hey Josh, is there any way to purge the logs?

The stuff I'm working on at the moment will give us the ability to edit the history list (delete them) as well as sort and delete the pending task list. It should hopefully improve performance also with large about a of pending tasks. Not sure when it'll be completed, it's a reasonably large set of changes (I'm already upwards of 10-15 hours on this feature and may be only half way).

I do have a feature request.   The conversion to HEVC is mostly to save space, is there any plans to add stats to show how much space was saved, or average conversion time, or average size reduction?

It's my intention to add some overall stats next. This is definitely a possibility now with how the historic data is stored, I just have not added it to the UI yet.
  • Thanks 1
6 hours ago, Josh.5 said:

The stuff I'm working on at the moment will give us the ability to edit the history list (delete them) as well as sort and delete the pending task list. It should hopefully improve performance also with large about a of pending tasks. Not sure when it'll be completed, it's a reasonably large set of changes (I'm already upwards of 10-15 hours on this feature and may be only half way).

It's my intention to add some overall stats next. This is definitely a possibility now with how the historic data is stored, I just have not added it to the UI yet.

Those are all some awesome changes right there.

I have a general question for you... I'm setting a folder to convert. I have a temporary folder that is used as the encode cache which is on a separate SSD that is only for download and encode temp folders. However, when its done encoding, its not writing the file back to the cache to be written into the array later. It's doing it back to the array constantly. This keeps one hard drive always spun up, and also forces the array to perform constant parity calculations. Is this intended?

image.thumb.png.e9115cd7873b671becdb6d8fe9c7c686.png

The /mnt/user/TV is a cache allowed folder (obviously as its user and not user0). I just assumed since it was writing the conversion to a different location off the array, it'd write the file back to the cache and then wait for the mover.

Probably a dumb question; can you add more paths then just the default entire "TV" or "Movie" libraries?  For instance there are certain shows I don't want to encode, so I've changed the TV Library to point to an individual TV Show (I've also changed the Movie Library to point to another TV Show Folder) - so that limits me to 2 "watched" folders.  I've got about 6 TV Shows that are currently active that I'd like watched, is there anyway to just add more folders for this to watch?

• Like 1
On 5/21/2020 at 3:07 PM, CoZ said:

Probably a dumb question; can you add more paths then just the default entire "TV" or "Movie" libraries?  For instance there are certain shows I don't want to encode, so I've changed the TV Library to point to an individual TV Show (I've also changed the Movie Library to point to another TV Show Folder) - so that limits me to 2 "watched" folders.  I've got about 6 TV Shows that are currently active that I'd like watched, is there anyway to just add more folders for this to watch?

I also would like to avoid conversions on certain TV shows - mainly the "daily" ones.

19 hours ago, TexasDave said:

I also would like to avoid conversions on certain TV shows - mainly the "daily" ones.

Yeah just make sure it starts with /Library/ then 'whatever you want to name it'/files

image.png.1c4eb57e27c97ba862cc5ac67cca0879.png

So the container path can be /library/movies1 /library/movies2 etc. im sure you could go has hard as you want until you break something

I presume it just NEEDS to be in /library/ within the container after that have a party

Edited by BomB191
10 hours ago, BomB191 said:

Yeah just make sure it starts with /Library/ then 'whatever you want to name it'/files

image.png.1c4eb57e27c97ba862cc5ac67cca0879.png

So the container path can be /library/movies1 /library/movies2 etc. im sure you could go has hard as you want until you break something

I presume it just NEEDS to be in /library/ within the container after that have a party

image.png.c8c9abe29cb79e23f52f4b9cea5cd112.png

So I can continue to add "/mnt/user/Media/TV Shows NAS/TVSHOWNAME" to the same line? For some reason I don't think that will work.

I (and I think the OP) want to add MORE TV Show folders to the container.  For instance, have multiple TV show folders instead of just the TV Show Library.  Right now I've pointed the "Library Movies" to another TV show instead of the Movie library.  When I grab a new movie or TV show I want encoded, I have to go back into editing the container and point it directly to the new folder or said movie or TV Show and then when it's done, go back into the container and switch it back.

I guess the easiest way to explain it would be to have multiple folders in the container:

/mnt/user/Media/TV Shows NAS/Some TV Show#1

/mnt/user/Media/TV Shows NAS/Some TV Show#2

/mnt/user/Media/TV Shows NAS/Some TV Show#3

11 hours ago, Squid said:

Why not simply add another path to the template?

/library/TVShow1 mapped to /mnt/user/Media/...../show1,

/library/TVShow2 mapped to /mnt/user/Media/..../show2

That's what I was inquiring about, if that was possible to continue to add folders to the container template.

10 hours ago, GeekMajic said:

Squid

I think the app can only handle one library at a time currently.

And.... this is also what I was thinking as well. 

I'm going to try it - what's the WORST that could happen?

So I added another path, guess I just have to wait for Sonarr to grab an episode for that particular path and see if it gets "picked up"  So far, so good.  I thought for sure the docker would implode after hitting apply.... but it did not.

Edited by CoZ
On 5/6/2020 at 5:26 AM, DaClownie said:

The file sizes were very finicky. I still haven't got it dialed in. Converting a single episode with nvenc was increasing size from 1.6gb to 2.9gb. However, if I turned quality all the way down, it tuned it to 150mb.

The default RF on the h.265 presets for Apple & Chromecast in Handbrake is RF 15. Try adjusting to 22/± 1. Remember a smaller RF will result in better quality, but a larger file.

In regards to h.264:

High Definition (e.g Blurays 720/1080) Use an RF value of 22 +/- 1 Since HD sources are typically quality, you can get away with a slightly higher RF value than SD content without any perceived difference in quality...

Standard Definition (e.g DVD’s) Use an RF value of around 20 +/- 1 As an example using the AppleTV2 preset at RF20, with 20 different sources, the average size was 925MB per hour of video. (Min: 625MB/h Max:1,503MB/hr)...

To sum up: when converting from a DVD source, there is no reason to go above an RF of \~19, which is roughly equivalent to how heavily the DVD is compressed. If you do go higher, your output will be larger than your input!

Source: https://handbrake.fr/docs/en/latest/technical/video-cq-vs-abr.html

Even though the Handbrake team advises against it, you can specify your target bitrate (2000 kbps is the default) and reduce file size and encode times that way (single pass) at the expense of quality. Using a Constant Quality (CQ) will scale the stream bitrate higher for more complex scenes.

Not sure how we would pass-through the quality settings we want in Unmanic if we want to experiment with NVENC.

---

image.thumb.png.5ae426360fdb680257c6ec90b10d313f.png

Do we still need to add the --runtime=nvidia under Advanced View now that I see this in the template?

--

On 5/6/2020 at 12:38 PM, Josh.5 said:

As far as I could tell, nvenc_hevc is an older now deprecated encoder. Use the newer hevc_nvenc one?

Yes, hevc_nvenc is the encoder we will want to use now.

Source: https://devblogs.nvidia.com/nvidia-ffmpeg-transcoding-guide/

Edited by Zer0Nin3r
hevc_nvenc VS nvenc_hevc
On 5/27/2020 at 5:54 AM, CoZ said:

want to add MORE TV Show folders to the container.  For instance, have multiple TV show folders instead of just the TV Show Library.  Right now I've pointed the "Library Movies" to another TV show instead of the Movie library.  When I grab a new movie or TV show I want encoded, I have to go back into editing the container and point it directly to the new folder or said movie or TV Show and then when it's done, go back into the container and switch it back.

In my use case, I want to encode everything into h.265 for archiving — with the shows I DVR and then delete after watching, to not be encoded in h.265.

And easier fire and forget method I just set up today was this:

1. Stop Unmanic so it doesn't try to encode files while you're working on moving around directories and content.
  2. In your media library share create a folder /TV Show_Temp  || example: /mnt/user/Plex/TV Show_Temp
  3. Add /TV Show_Temp to your Sonarr & Plex Docker templates as a new path
  4. Under Sonarr go to: Series > Series Editor
  5. Select the TV Shows you want to work on
  6. Change the root folder of the TV Series with the following drop down menu at the bottom of your screen: Root Folder > Add a Different Path > TV Show_Temp
  7. Log into your Plex dashboard. Settings > Manage > Libraries > TV Shows > Edit > Add Folders > Add TV Show_Temp
  8. Manually move the shows that you do not want Unmanic to see to the new /TV Show_Temp folder
  9. Go back to Plex and scan your TV library so that the file paths automatically update

What this will do from now on is that Sonarr will download the shows you don't want to encode/Unmanic to see to your TV Show_Temp folder and Plex will add it to your library automatically. No need to set up a separate TV library inside of Plex and all your shows show up together in Plex. And no need to keep adding paths of folders to Unmanic.

** You will decide which shows you want to encode automatically by editing the series that you've added already and selecting the TV Show_Temp folder or by making this setting when you add a new show. Don't forget to move the shows you want to hide from Unmanic to the new TV Show_Temp folder you created.

There are also settings in Plex that will delete the episodes automatically for you and settings within Sonarr that will unmonitor episodes for you when Sonarr sees a file being deleted.

Hope this helps save some folks some time and headaches and allowing more time for play. 🙂

Here are some screenshots if it will help:

Sonarr Docker:

image.thumb.png.c1b1e5a6adf8b6d5c99c5df4669aff5c.png

Plex Docker:

image.thumb.png.8a83916f7fad2990ff43f6937703c20a.png

image.thumb.png.0f2ee57d9e2baa1c133c0d23a499ef92.png

Sonarr:

image.png.72340435268d04c9beb3a4058e7c24c1.png

image.thumb.png.5aa9daf0f17e591cb9e751d8fa3c00f1.png

Plex:

image.png.a783ef336ebb5482c6650b83189c9cf9.png

---

image.thumb.png.1760b0cf1842f2f4dc1f44d954c6652a.png

• Like 1

Thanks for the great work! GPU trans-coding is working amazing (after completely starting over with the docker image and unmanic folder,etc). 12 transcodes at once and only 24% gpu! although cpu is 50% (probably audio?). a lot better then 2 transcodes and cpu maxed out 24/7. donation inbound.

Edited by letrain
  • Like 1
4 hours ago, letrain said:

Thanks for the great work! GPU trans-coding is working amazing (after completely starting over with the docker image and unmanic folder,etc). 12 transcodes at once and only 24% gpu! although cpu is 50% (probably audio?). a lot better then 2 transcodes and cpu maxed out 24/7. donation inbound.

Dang - what is your gpu setup?!

8 minutes ago, harriedr said:

Dang - what is your gpu setup?!

p2000, it does say 100% for encode, but only 24% gpu usage and 8% of memory of gpu. 26watts of the available 75 watts. nice thing i can transcode and stream plex at the same time (decode). 96gb of ram helps too ;)

Edited by letrain
  • Like 1

I can't get the nvidia transcoding working despite adding the NVIDIA_DRIVER_CAPABILITIES variable.
Plus I've got the video encoder set to hevc_ncenc and 1 worker.

It does however show up for ffmpeg. I'm not sure how significant that is.

1150202326_ScreenShot2020-06-02at1_59_15pm.thumb.jpg.79d11e8d0cf20f0fa211749e916991d0.jpg

I do have it set to one of my 4 CPU cores otherwise it's maxing out my system and assuming will affect plex performance. I did try without the CPU set and had not luck.

218762518_ScreenShot2020-06-02at1_48_28pm.thumb.jpg.33a5e041c88fb2ff6b63898403e6c612.jpg

Edited by CafeNevosa
Included more detail

Hey all,

Don't know if this is a possibility now or if it should be a feature request but is there a way to set unmanic to stop trying to encode a failed file after the first one or two attempts, I have spent a lot of time recoding basically everything i have but now with using it only to do new downloads if something fails it keepsretrying on every scan.

Hello and thanks for your work. It saved my a bit of space on my small NAS.
Now i have some failures on 68 of the 250~ movies.
All of them fail from the 1st second. 
Most of them is giving the following error: 

[mov,mp4,m4a,3gp,3g2,mj2 @ 0x55a4573da140] stream 0, timescale not set
Input #0, mov,mp4,m4a,3gp,3g2,mj2, from '/library/tv/Man of Steel (2013)/Man of Steel (2013) Bluray-1080p.mp4':
  Metadata:
    major_brand     : isom
    minor_version   : 1
    compatible_brands: isomavc1iso2
    creation_time   : 2015-11-26T19:59:29.000000Z
    iTunEXTC        : mpaa|PG-13|300|
    iTunMOVI        : <?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
                    : <!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd">
                    : <plist version="1.0">
                    : <dict>
                    : 	<key>cast</key>
                    : 	<array>
                    : 		<dict>
                    : 			<key>name</key>
                    : 			<string>Henry Cavill</string>
                    : 		</dict>
                    : 			<string>Amy Adams</string>
                    : 			<string>Michael Shannon</string>
                    : 			<string>Kevin Costner</string>
                    : 			<string>Diane Lane</string>
                    : 			<string>Laurence Fishburne</string>
                    : 			<string>Antje Traue</string>
                    : 			<string>Ayelet Zurer</string>
                    : 			<string>Christopher Meloni</string>
                    : 			<string>Russell Crowe</string>
                    : 	</array>
                    : 	<key>directors</key>
                    : 			<string>Zack Snyder</string>
                    : 	<key>producers</key>
                    : 			<string>Charles Roven</string>
                    : 			<string>Christopher Nolan</string>
                    : 			<string>Emma Thomas</string>
                    : 			<string>Deborah Snyder</string>
                    : 	<key>screenwriters</key>
                    : 			<string>Christopher Nolan</string>
                    : 			<string>David S. Goyer</string>
                    : </dict>
                    : </plist>
                    : 
    title           : Man of Steel
    artist          : Zack Snyder
    genre           : Action & Adventure
    date            : 2013
    synopsis        : Clark Kent, one of the last of an extinguished race disguised as an unremarkable human, is forced to reveal his identity when Earth is invaded by an army of survivors who threaten to bring the planet to the brink of destruction.
    hd_video        : 2
    media_type      : 9
  Duration: 02:23:03.58, start: 0.000000, bitrate: 3993 kb/s
    Chapter #0:0: start 0.000000, end 676.967000
    Metadata:
      title           : Chapter 1
    Chapter #0:1: start 676.967000, end 1201.450000
    Metadata:
      title           : Chapter 2
    Chapter #0:2: start 1201.450000, end 1809.474000
    Metadata:
      title           : Chapter 3
    Chapter #0:3: start 1809.474000, end 2361.609000
    Metadata:
      title           : Chapter 4
    Chapter #0:4: start 2361.609000, end 2937.643000
    Metadata:
      title           : Chapter 5
    Chapter #0:5: start 2937.643000, end 3543.414000
    Metadata:
      title           : Chapter 6
    Chapter #0:6: start 3543.414000, end 4137.883000
    Metadata:
      title           : Chapter 7
    Chapter #0:7: start 4137.883000, end 4655.108000
    Metadata:
      title           : Chapter 8
    Chapter #0:8: start 4655.108000, end 5316.185000
    Metadata:
      title           : Chapter 9
    Chapter #0:9: start 5316.185000, end 6047.791000
    Metadata:
      title           : Chapter 10
    Chapter #0:10: start 6047.791000, end 6655.857000
    Metadata:
      title           : Chapter 11
    Chapter #0:11: start 6655.857000, end 7253.579000
    Metadata:
      title           : Chapter 12
    Chapter #0:12: start 7253.579000, end 7813.555000
    Metadata:
      title           : Chapter 13
    Chapter #0:13: start 7813.555000, end 7969.920000
    Metadata:
      title           : Chapter 14
    Chapter #0:14: start 7969.920000, end 8583.584000
    Metadata:
      title           : Chapter 15
    Stream #0:0(eng): Video: h264 (avc1 / 0x31637661), yuv420p, 1920x800 [SAR 1:1 DAR 12:5], 3348 kb/s, 23.98 fps, 23.98 tbr, 24k tbn, 47.95 tbc (default)
    Metadata:
      creation_time   : 2015-11-26T19:59:29.000000Z
    Stream #0:1(eng): Audio: ac3 (ac-3 / 0x332D6361), 48000 Hz, 5.1(side), fltp, 640 kb/s (default)
    Metadata:
      creation_time   : 2015-11-26T20:01:19.000000Z
      handler_name    : Surround Sound
    Side data:
      audio service type: main
    Stream #0:2(und): Data: bin_data (text / 0x74786574)
    Metadata:
      creation_time   : 2015-11-26T20:06:52.000000Z
    Stream #0:3: Video: mjpeg, yuvj420p(pc, bt470bg/unknown/unknown), 151x227 [SAR 96:96 DAR 151:227], 90k tbr, 90k tbn, 90k tbc (attached pic)
Stream mapping:
  Stream #0:0 -> #0:0 (h264 (native) -> hevc (libx265))
  Stream #0:3 -> #0:1 (mjpeg (native) -> hevc (libx265))
  Stream #0:1 -> #0:2 (ac3 (native) -> aac (native))
  Stream #0:1 -> #0:3 (ac3 (native) -> aac (native))
Press [q] to stop, [?] for help
[mp4 @ 0x55a45749b840] Frame rate very high for a muxer not efficiently supporting it.
Please consider specifying a lower framerate, a different muxer or -vsync 2
x265 [info]: HEVC encoder version 3.2.1+1-b5c86a64bbbe
x265 [info]: build info [Linux][GCC 7.5.0][64 bit] 8bit+10bit+12bit
x265 [info]: using cpu capabilities: MMX2 SSE2Fast LZCNT SSSE3 SSE4.2 AVX FMA3 BMI2 AVX2
x265 [error]: Picture width must be an integer multiple of the specified chroma subsampling
x265 [error]: Picture height must be an integer multiple of the specified chroma subsampling
[libx265 @ 0x55a4574a0f80] Cannot open libx265 encoder.
Error initializing output stream 0:1 -- Error while opening encoder for output stream #0:1 - maybe incorrect parameters such as bit_rate, rate, width or height
Conversion failed!

The following error lines appearing on most failed convesions 

[mp4 @ 0x563f63392280] Frame rate very high for a muxer not efficiently supporting it.
Please consider specifying a lower framerate, a different muxer or -vsync 2
x265 [info]: HEVC encoder version 3.2.1+1-b5c86a64bbbe
x265 [info]: build info [Linux][GCC 7.5.0][64 bit] 8bit+10bit+12bit
x265 [info]: using cpu capabilities: MMX2 SSE2Fast LZCNT SSSE3 SSE4.2 AVX FMA3 BMI2 AVX2
x265 [error]: Picture width must be an integer multiple of the specified chroma subsampling
x265 [error]: Picture height must be an integer multiple of the specified chroma subsampling
[libx265 @ 0x563f633e6c80] Cannot open libx265 encoder.
Error initializing output stream 0:1 -- Error while opening encoder for output stream #0:1 - maybe incorrect parameters such as bit_rate, rate, width or height
Conversion failed!

I have succesfuly converted the rest movies. With the exact same settings (HEVC), 

I would happy provide more info if you need.

Uploading also unmanic.db and settings.json, it might give you some more info!

unmanic.db settings.json

unmanic.log

Edited by skois
Uploaded unmanic.log

So I've been having issues with converting files containing MJPEG streams. I didn't read this entire thread but did a quick search and couldn't see this anywhere, apologies if I'm repeating.

These files fail due to attachments within the MKV file itself, usually cover images, etc. I used MKVToolNix to edit the headers and remove the attachments, the files then converted no problem. It's an extra, painful step but it works for those that want everything converted. I only have 133 files to go through....xD

2 hours ago, UncleBacon said:

So I've been having issues with converting files containing MJPEG streams. I didn't read this entire thread but did a quick search and couldn't see this anywhere, apologies if I'm repeating.

These files fail due to attachments within the MKV file itself, usually cover images, etc. I used MKVToolNix to edit the headers and remove the attachments, the files then converted no problem. It's an extra, painful step but it works for those that want everything converted. I only have 133 files to go through....xD

Can you explain how? Or link to the tool? I've had a bunch of failures and kept seeing "2 frames left failed" and "deprecated pixel format".. then school further through the log and I'm seeing a bunch of "attached pic". Is that what your refering to?

I also had a problem with converting audio. I had transcode audio and add stereo stream all to aac. But with both checked it converted all streams to stereo and added another one. Unchecking transcode it converts all streams to aac while maintaining channels and then adds stereo stream as well. That doesn't seem right.

2 hours ago, letrain said:

Can you explain how? Or link to the tool? I've had a bunch of failures and kept seeing "2 frames left failed" and "deprecated pixel format".. then school further through the log and I'm seeing a bunch of "attached pic". Is that what your refering to?

I also had a problem with converting audio. I had transcode audio and add stereo stream all to aac. But with both checked it converted all streams to stereo and added another one. Unchecking transcode it converts all streams to aac while maintaining channels and then adds stereo stream as well. That doesn't seem right.

So the tool as above, MKVToolNix (for windows so I hope that works for you). What I'm referring to is a line like this

Stream #0:3: Video: mjpeg, yuvj420p(pc, bt470bg/unknown/unknown), 151x227 [SAR 96:96 DAR 151:227], 90k tbr, 90k tbn, 90k tbc (attached pic)

and yes, says "attached pic" at the end. Open MKVToolNix and go to the Header Editor. You can then drag and drop whatever movie/video it is you have giving errors, and remove any attachments you see in the header editor. It's fairly easy to do. Then save the file and unmanic should pick it up and try again.

As for converting audio, I opted to just copy the audio streams over with no transcoding to leave them at the quality they are from the original, so I am of no help there.

Hey everyone.  Doing some testing and I'm getting the following errors on a test video.  Happens regardless if I tell it to process audio or just copy it to the converted file:

[matroska,webm @ 0x557de5bedfc0] Could not find codec parameters for stream 2 (Subtitle: hdmv_pgs_subtitle (pgssub)): unspecified size
Consider increasing the value for the 'analyzeduration' and 'probesize' options
[matroska,webm @ 0x557de5bedfc0] Could not find codec parameters for stream 3 (Subtitle: hdmv_pgs_subtitle (pgssub)): unspecified size
[matroska,webm @ 0x557de5bedfc0] Could not find codec parameters for stream 4 (Subtitle: hdmv_pgs_subtitle (pgssub)): unspecified size
[matroska,webm @ 0x557de5bedfc0] Could not find codec parameters for stream 5 (Subtitle: hdmv_pgs_subtitle (pgssub)): unspecified size
Input #0, matroska,webm, from '/library/movies/The Lord of the Rings - The Two Towers (2002).mkv':
  Metadata:
    encoder         : libebml v1.3.0 + libmatroska v1.4.0
    creation_time   : 2013-05-14T23:32:04.000000Z
  Duration: 03:55:18.65, start: 0.000000, bitrate: 18284 kb/s

Any ideas?  Searching online came up with this solution, but since we can't type in additional commands for unmanic to pass along to ffmpeg...

Adjust -probesize and/or -analyzeduration.
The files I was testing were in fact damaged. But if anyone faces this problem, setting -probesize and -analyzeduration to 100 and 10000000 for example might help.

From a popular comment by @DiverseAndRemote.com

my solution was

ffmpeg -analyzeduration 2147483647 -probesize 2147483647 -i /path/to/video.mp4 
2147483647 is max_int