[Support] Linuxserver.io - OpenVPN AS

2 hours ago, ThePhotraveller said:

I tried multiple times followed every second of spaceinvader video. I still can't figure out why my connection is not going through. 

Make sure your duck DNS is resolving your public ip address. So to check ping diliremo.duckdns.org  (if that is still what you are using-- but I would change that as you have posted it publicly here)

1 hour ago, PaDadof2 said:

I have this docker up and running, works great to access my ip address on the tower, but I'm not able to access any of my user shares in windows explorer.  Is there something I can look for to get those to work too?  Thanks in advance.

Are you using \\ipaddress\share in windows explorer?

32 minutes ago, jonathanm said:

Are you using \\ipaddress\share in windows explorer?

I was not.  I just opened up explorer and clicked on 'tower'  I'll try to use ipaddress and see if that works.  thank you for the reply

EDIT:  That works, thank you!

Edited by PaDadof2
it worked!
1 hour ago, PaDadof2 said:

I was not.  I just opened up explorer and clicked on 'tower'  I'll try to use ipaddress and see if that works.  thank you for the reply

EDIT:  That works, thank you!

If you really want to keep using tower, then you will need to tell windows what IP it is. A few ways to do that, easiest is to add an entry in the hosts file.

3 minutes ago, Micaiah12 said:

Hey guys how do I make it so when I update this docker that my credentials and settings aren't lost? I am having multiple issues and that is one of the main ones.

Thanks

It’s all outlined in the github and docker hub links in the OP. Scroll down to the setup section.

Hello ,

I have gotten this container set up a couple of times.

Once it was with host networking. When I did that I could only access the Unraid GUI.

I have now changed networking to its own IP. Now I can access every other computer and docker containers with their own IP, but not the Unraid IP, GUI or otherwise.

Any ideas on what I should be looking at?

Thanks.

1 hour ago, thisaone said:

Hello ,

I have gotten this container set up a couple of times.

Once it was with host networking. When I did that I could only access the Unraid GUI.

I have now changed networking to its own IP. Now I can access every other computer and docker containers with their own IP, but not the Unraid IP, GUI or otherwise.

Any ideas on what I should be looking at?

Thanks.

That's as designed.  Dockers assigned their own IP address on macvlan are isolated from the host.  There are several posts in the forums from bonienl and others about this.

There is a way around that, but, by default, there is no communication with the host once dockers have their own IPs on macvlan.

Okay, my apologies. I did do some reading, and think I read the posts you are talking about. I guess I didn't think they were the same since my dockers have an IP address on the same network as my real computers. I am learning and know just enough to get myself into trouble.

Thank you for the prompt reply.

22 minutes ago, thisaone said:

Okay, my apologies. I did do some reading, and think I read the posts you are talking about. I guess I didn't think they were the same since my dockers have an IP address on the same network as my real computers. I am learning and know just enough to get myself into trouble.

Thank you for the prompt reply.

No need to apologize, we all learn by doing.  I learned this the first time I assigned an IP address to a docker and had to do some searching to find out why I could not ping or ssh to the host.   FYI, in case you want to isolate your dockers on their own network and have communication between dockers (but not with the unRAID host), here is a good guide for how to do it:

I'm trying to get this to work. When I use br0I can access the OpenVPN web ui, but when I change it back to host, I can't access it. When I'm using br0, I can't access local IP's or anything else external.

When I try using bond0 as interface, I can't access my Unraid GUI. What am I doing wrong?

9 minutes ago, wayller said:

I'm trying to get this to work. When I use br0I can access the OpenVPN web ui, but when I change it back to host, I can't access it. When I'm using br0, I can't access local IP's or anything else external.

When I try using bond0 as interface, I can't access my Unraid GUI. What am I doing wrong?

Are you setting the interface variable in your docker configuration? IIRC it defaults to eth0. If you’re using anything else you need to set it.

9 minutes ago, wgstarks said:

Are you setting the interface variable in your docker configuration? IIRC it defaults to eth0. If you’re using anything else you need to set it.

I fixed it now. Set the port to 945 in the web ui and in the docker, changed it to bridge, and allowed my user access to the unRAID server subnet :)

• 2 weeks later...

the docker instructions says to remove the default admin account and assign admin privs to another user

im wondering what a typical user setup should be:

1) 1 admin level user with a strong password and 1 regular user. both accounts used for daily vpn logins or

2) 1 new local admin account, and 2 regular user accounts. only the regular priv accounts are used for vpn connections

is it normal to recreate an admin account after removing the default one, and use only that for setup and admin duties? Im trying to understand what the security reasons are for removing the default admin account, and whether creating another local admin account defeats that purpose

6 hours ago, Nem said:

the docker instructions says to remove the default admin account and assign admin privs to another user

1) 1 admin level user with a strong password and 1 regular user. both accounts used for daily vpn logins or

2) 1 new local admin account, and 2 regular user accounts. only the regular priv accounts are used for vpn connections

is it normal to recreate an admin account after removing the default one, and use only that for setup and admin duties? Im trying to understand what the security reasons are for removing the default admin account, and whether creating another local admin account defeats that purpose

All accounts will need to be local.

The reason the default admin account is removed is that the default user/password was recreated every time the docker was updated. This would allow anyone to have admin privileges on your docker.

Edited by wgstarks
7 hours ago, Nem said:

The second option. 

Also keep in mind that one user account can be used simultaneously by multiple clients if you allow that in the settings. 

My phone, tablet and laptop all use the same user account

On 1/13/2018 at 7:09 PM, Everend said:

No, I don't think so. Here's what I did so far with this docker...

1. from the Apps tab, search for openvpn.

2. Locate and click on the install icon for the Linuxserver.io version.

3. per the spaceinvader's video I was following, verified the default settings were Host and Privileged: = on

4. After the successful install message, click on the Docker tab. See the openvpn docker is running, then click on the WebUI

5. Received the ERR_CONNECTION_REFUSED message.

6. Back on the docker tab, EDIT the docker, change the Network Type: to Bridge (from Host).

7. Refresh the chrome tab https://192.168.0.107:943

8. At this point the unsecure message spaceinvader's video said would come up.

Note: This is the first docker installed on this new unraid install.   

Q: Can I continue to run openvpn on the Bridge network type?  Are there any considerations/issues for doing this?

Q: Separate symptom which I expect is related.. I am still unable to use the Unassigned Devices plugin feature to "Add Remote SMB Share" found on the unRaid GUI "Main" tab.

I'm having this exact issue; I didn't try bridge mode because everything I have read said it has to be host, so I don't know if changing it would have fixed it for me and I'm not near the machine to try it now.

This is a brand new UnRaid setup and, if I remember correctly, bonding was on by default.  However, I have only one NIC so I disabled bonding, and it shows as disabled in the setup.  Not sure if it needs a reboot but maybe I'll try that as well.

I will be watching this thread for any further info.

• Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...
  • trurl pinned and unpinned this topic