[Support] Linuxserver.io - Plex Media Server

5 hours ago, frodr said:

Direct Play, about 80Mbps and above

what is your client ? you know some clients have issues playing back high bitrate content ... sample, LG TV's native apps etc ...

also usually claimed in the manuals from the clients, like 60mbits, 80mbits, ...

23 minutes ago, rader said:

I just came home to the exact same issue as frodr on both of my plex media servers on two different unraid boxes. Was working great last night. Now niether plex dockers are working, yet all other dockers are fine.

ok, so either you have the same issue (high bitrate content) or your dockers are not working anymore at all ?

56 minutes ago, alturismo said:

what is your client ? you know some clients have issues playing back high bitrate content ... sample, LG TV's native apps etc ...

also usually claimed in the manuals from the clients, like 60mbits, 80mbits, ...

ok, so either you have the same issue (high bitrate content) or your dockers are not working anymore at all ?

Dockers aren't working anymore. Was investigating them both and saw that one was lscr.io  and the other was linuxserver. Both were offline with slightly different messages. lscr.io was unable to connect. linuxserver had some errors related to a malformed xml file.

Switching the network connection from custom to bridge at least brought back the linuxserver webpage, but it's not connecting to my "plexserver02" server name. It is connecting to the "On Plex" services.

The lscr.io docker still hasn't been revived yet. The docker is running according to the unraid docker tab, but no webpage is accessible. I'm trying to force an update and see if that resolves the issue.

3 hours ago, alturismo said:

Its Nvidia Shield Pro.

18 minutes ago, frodr said:

Its Nvidia Shield Pro.

ok, that usually should be capable todo so

but, i assume you already checked its "direct play" mode, so all the Plex Server does is pass the stream to the device .. which is then ~ 10 MB/s which aint really much ;) so to test it out, may install kodion the shield just for testing purposes and play it there to see what happens, if its fine its more a plex client issue and you should forward to the plex forums.

5 hours ago, alturismo said:

ok, that usually should be capable todo so

but, i assume you already checked its "direct play" mode, so all the Plex Server does is pass the stream to the device .. which is then ~ 10 MB/s which aint really much ;) so to test it out, may install kodion the shield just for testing purposes and play it there to see what happens, if its fine its more a plex client issue and you should forward to the plex forums.

It is Direct Play I´m referring to. 

Tried Shield Pro/Emby: Same trottling.

Apple TV / Emby: Not able to connect to server.

Apple TV (purchased 11/2022)  / Plex: No trottling, but don't decode Atmos. Video is Direct Play, but it transcodes the audio. May that's the reason why I don't get Atmos sound. Why does it transcode audio? See reason in picture.

IMG_0433.jpeg

Edited by frodr
Added picture.
3 hours ago, frodr said:

Why does it transcode audio?

prolly as your client doesnt support it natively ... but like i thought, videop is copy and high bandwith like you mentioned ... so this is all client related and you should activate logging (in your client) and use those logs fpr the plex forums.

that would be the right way and prolly better as it doesnt look Server related at all.

• Thanks 1
4 hours ago, alturismo said:

prolly as your client doesnt support it natively ... but like i thought, videop is copy and high bandwith like you mentioned ... so this is all client related and you should activate logging (in your client) and use those logs fpr the plex forums.

that would be the right way and prolly better as it doesnt look Server related at all.

Yes, I believe so. I had hoped for a strange hidden setting in Plex would solve it. So, ATV is not decoding Atmos in Plex, nor Netflix. But it does in the TV+ app. Apppppppeeeellllllllll!

Shield Pro did not trottle today, and Atmos works fine. I wish the updated the GUI though. 

1 hour ago, frodr said:

Yes, I believe so. I had hoped for a strange hidden setting in Plex would solve it. So, ATV is not decoding Atmos in Plex, nor Netflix. But it does in the TV+ app. Apppppppeeeellllllllll!

Shield Pro did not trottle today, and Atmos works fine. I wish the updated the GUI though. 

AppleTV supports Dolby Atmos passthrough. It should be getting passed through to your AV receiver.

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204069

22 hours ago, rader said:

Dockers aren't working anymore. Was investigating them both and saw that one was lscr.io  and the other was linuxserver. Both were offline with slightly different messages. lscr.io was unable to connect. linuxserver had some errors related to a malformed xml file.

Switching the network connection from custom to bridge at least brought back the linuxserver webpage, but it's not connecting to my "plexserver02" server name. It is connecting to the "On Plex" services.

The lscr.io docker still hasn't been revived yet. The docker is running according to the unraid docker tab, but no webpage is accessible. I'm trying to force an update and see if that resolves the issue.

I broke down and ran a restore from appdatabackup (older version that created 66GB files) and it at least restored a functional Plex Media Server (linuxserver docker). Database was pooched though. I've recreated the libraries and let it rescan them to rebuild the content. Still scanning. I have a lot.

10 hours ago, frodr said:

It should, but it don't. I reinstalled the the OS on ATV. I got Atmos in Netflix, but not from Plex. 

"If you don't see the idiot in the room........., its you."

For some reason one switch assigned only 100 Mbps to its clients. No wonder I had trottling on high bit rate streams. That's fixed, then it's only Atmos on Plex to solve. I might very well be the on the client, but it's nothing more than reinstalling (which is done) on the ATV. So possible solution must other places.

Should it normally be possible to run hardware transcoding and generate video preview thumbnails/intro/outro detection all at the same time?
I'm currently using an Intel n100 CPU and all 4 cores go up to 100% while doing this, so no smooth transcoding is possible.
The only solution right now is to run all these things scheduled overnight.
Would it help to upgrade to an i3-12100? 
I would really like to be able to run these things as soon as new media is added but still be able to run 1-2 streams at a time.

4 hours ago, Janis.S said:

Should it normally be possible to run hardware transcoding and generate video preview thumbnails/intro/outro detection all at the same time?
I'm currently using an Intel n100 CPU and all 4 cores go up to 100% while doing this, so no smooth transcoding is possible.
The only solution right now is to run all these things scheduled overnight.
Would it help to upgrade to an i3-12100? 
I would really like to be able to run these things as soon as new media is added but still be able to run 1-2 streams at a time.

There's a check box under Settings > Library for Run scanner tasks at a lower priority that might help you case, I havne't tried it myself though.

I have my server set to just add media at 2 AM and do all the scan tasks then since no one is ever streaming at that time.

If I really want to watch a show right away I just downloaded, I either use VLC locally, or Add it to Library and wait the 10 or so minutes for just that one show to do its full scan.

Not sure on the upgrade from n100 to i3-12100 though, not sure how different the decode/encode engines are in those.  But if you are maxing out all 4 CPU cores for the other parts of the scan (chapters, metadata, intro and outro detection, all audio tasks a CPU bound, some HDR I think is still CPU bound), then the upgrade might help, but I don't think it will completely get rid of the problem.

image.thumb.png.43fc0ec45ef91d5ef4e496317730ac3f.png

On 8/3/2023 at 1:52 PM, ConnerVT said:

I have been running Plex for several years now (since Media Browser switched over to Emby.  2017?).  I have only needed to delete codecs a few times.  A couple when my Plex server was running on a Windows machine, maybe once on Unraid.  So it is not (and shouldn't be) something that happens frequently - If it is, I would check for some other underlying issue.  But it is something that can be difficult and frustrating to troubleshoot if you aren't aware of the possibility.

I found out about this from mining the Plex forums years ago (back before they changed their forum style).  From what I have seen in the Plex forum, and the number of responses I've had here in the Unraid forum, it has been the solution for quite a few people to solve their transcoding/playback issues.

Where do I delete codecs as I have no idea. Older mkv H264 files play fine only the recently added ones will not playback

On 8/20/2023 at 1:17 PM, vvolfpack said:

I'm having an issue with my Plex server crashing intermittently. It comes back online after I restart the docker, but it typically goes down during or after a long download cycle when media is added. I couldn't find anything helpful in the logs. Could someone help me troubleshoot this? I apologize if I uploaded the wrong logs.

Plex Media Server.1.log 10 MB · 1 download

I believe I am having a similar issue, did you find a fix to this?

Someone please help. I touched nothing in my container, and all of a sudden my items would no longer get marked as watched. I restarted the container and received the following error in the logs.

───────────────────────────────────────
GID/UID

User UID:    99
User GID:    100

**** Permissions could not be set. This is probably because your volume mounts are remote or read-only. ****
**** The app may not work properly and we will not provide support for it. ****
[migrations] started
[migrations] no migrations found
usermod: no changes

I am at a loss. I have been trying to sort out the permissions, but performing a chmod -R nobody:users /path to appdata directory does ntohing.

Any suggestions?

1 hour ago, Andiroo2 said:

Plex docker is no longer hardware transcoding on Intel Quick Sync as of v1.32.6.7468.  No changes otherwise...docker updated after backing up last night and now I see crazy CPU usage due to 4K transcodes using CPU instead of GPU.

Just tested, seeing the same.

• Like 1