[Support] Linuxserver.io - Plex Media Server

9 hours ago, Syed said:

tried it with advanced view on and off... part of the template is missing

What about “Show more settings”?

According to the instructions in the OP the template was edited on 11/6 but  NVIDIA_VISIBLE_DEVICES is still required so I would think it’s still there somewhere. If not you could try adding it as a variable.

Note: Extra parameters are also still required.

Looks to me as if LSIO has decided to remove that variable from the template but you can add it back.

Quote from dockerhub- 

Nvidia

Hardware acceleration users for Nvidia will need to install the container runtime provided by Nvidia on their host, instructions can be found here:

https://github.com/NVIDIA/nvidia-docker

We automatically add the necessary environment variable that will utilise all the features available on a GPU on the host. Once nvidia-docker is installed on your host you will need to re/create the docker container with the nvidia container runtime --runtime=nvidia and add an environment variable -e NVIDIA_VISIBLE_DEVICES=all (can also be set to a specific gpu's UUID, this can be discovered by running nvidia-smi --query-gpu=gpu_name,gpu_uuid --format=csv ). NVIDIA automatically mounts the GPU and drivers from your host into the plex docker.

Hello, 
Looking for some support on HW transcoding.

System:

Dell R530 dual E5-2680v4
Quadro P2000

I have followed all of the guides including setting environment variables, the card is visible to unRAID including statistics and 'watch nvidia-smi'. 

Once I initiate a transcode I can see that the GPU is called for 1-2 seconds, but then it returns to idle. 

I have tried different versions of Nvidia drivers and different version of Plex docker, with the same results. 

There has to be something simple I am missing?

Here's at least one piece of the Plex logs indicating the failure:

Nov 11, 2021 06:43:22.715 [0x1529ff51eb38] DEBUG - [Transcode] Codecs: testing h264 (decoder) with hwdevice vaapi
Nov 11, 2021 06:43:22.716 [0x1529ff51eb38] DEBUG - [Transcode] Codecs: hardware transcoding: testing API vaapi
Nov 11, 2021 06:43:22.716 [0x1529ff51eb38] DEBUG - [Transcode] Codecs: hardware transcoding: opening hw device failed - probably not supported by this system, error: Generic error in an external library
Nov 11, 2021 06:43:22.717 [0x1529ff51eb38] DEBUG - [Transcode] Codecs: testing h264 (decoder) with hwdevice nvdec
Nov 11, 2021 06:43:22.718 [0x1529ff51eb38] DEBUG - [Transcode] Codecs: hardware transcoding: testing API nvdec

Thanks in advance,

tower-diagnostics-20211111-0633.zip Plex_Media_server_short.txt

After some investigation I have determined that my Plex DB is corrupt.  Following Spaceinvader One's tutorial got me to "Error: database disk image is malformed" when running PRAGMA integrity_check.  So, I followed his tutorial and tried a dump/read of the database.  When the new db is being created, it seems to fill with data almost all the way, then stop and show as an empty db.  I was able to verify this happens every time I attempt to create a new DB from the old DB's data via Krusader.  So, I decided to take a copy of the DB to my Mac and use SQLite browser to try an export/import.  When I do, the export is successful, but at import I get an error "Error importing data: Error in statement #139: no such module: spellfix1. Aborting execution and rolling back."

I have no recourse to fix this issue, but I need someone who knows a bit more about SQL to help me find a way to get this DB back in shape.  I'm convinced that the db corruption is the root of all my issues, but I can't figure out why it's so difficult to get this back in some sort of working order.

Screen Shot 2021-11-11 at 2.02.17 PM.png

Screen Shot 2021-11-11 at 2.06.20 PM.png

2 hours ago, ConnerVT said:

Do you have Plex Pass?  Plex only HW transcode when you have Plex Pass - the free/unsubscribed version doesn't.

(You *did* say "something simple"...)

Sorry, yes I do have plex pass.

I don't think there are any extra parameters to add to the docker template, right?

54 minutes ago, mortist said:

Sorry, yes I do have plex pass.

I don't think there are any extra parameters to add to the docker template, right?

Quote from instructions on dockerhub -

Hardware Acceleration

Intel

Hardware acceleration users for Intel Quicksync will need to mount their /dev/dri video device inside of the container by passing the following command when running or creating the container:

--device=/dev/dri:/dev/dri

We will automatically ensure the abc user inside of the container has the proper permissions to access this device.

Nvidia

Hardware acceleration users for Nvidia will need to install the container runtime provided by Nvidia on their host, instructions can be found here:

https://github.com/NVIDIA/nvidia-docker

We automatically add the necessary environment variable that will utilise all the features available on a GPU on the host. Once nvidia-docker is installed on your host you will need to re/create the docker container with the nvidia container runtime --runtime=nvidia and add an environment variable -e NVIDIA_VISIBLE_DEVICES=all (can also be set to a specific gpu's UUID, this can be discovered by running nvidia-smi --query-gpu=gpu_name,gpu_uuid --format=csv ). NVIDIA automatically mounts the GPU and drivers from your host into the plex docker.

15 hours ago, wgstarks said:

Quote from instructions on dockerhub -

Thanks Walter,

Apologies my response was poorly worded. I do have '--runtime=nvidia' included in the extra parameters. I seem to remember some of the dockers required 'plexpass' parameters being added, but that does not seem to be the case for Linuxserver.

I have tried the official docker as well as the binhex docker and both produce the same result. 
The GPU becomes active, but the stops shortly afterwards.

Do the instructions found on: https://github.com/NVIDIA/nvidia-docker Still apply to unRAID 6.9.2? 

Extra Parameters:

Capture1.thumb.PNG.64d52f56fe8e0355095d839a1684cc3c.PNG

Visible Devices:

Capture2.thumb.PNG.aec90f77cc61eb6d460a1f4d0e9bdc97.PNG

Capabilities:

Capture3.thumb.PNG.0b7c4976515fdd20f6439cd68a6b4b42.PNG

Nvidia Driver package:

Capture4.thumb.PNG.48c7fda6f1730beed8d28b9dacfb7e2a.PNG

Nvidia Statistics Plugin:

Capture5.PNG.d812ea9724ddb9e2456e3cc6b88e6c20.PNG

Nvidia SMI:

Capture6.PNG.b2cb1063e425c87bff81cf4dbd82fec4.PNG

Is hdr tone mapping broken? I have hw transcoding enabled with an Nvidia gpu. I know it's working as I see transcoded files encoding and decoding in hw. But when I watch an hdr film on a non hdr display that requires transcoding, I get a green tint. See screenshot attached. 

Screenshot_20211114-105942_Plex.png

1 hour ago, Squid said:

Not the Plex expert, but whenever I see that (and a google) means that the movie you downloaded is Dolby Vision without a fallback compatibility and your TV does not support Dolby Vision.  I bought a new TV to work around it.

Thanks squid. I do have a display that supports HDR & DV, and it looks great. But if i'm watching on a non-hdr screen remotely (e.g. cell phone), it says it's transcoding but the tone mapping is off with the strange green tint mentioned above. 

Anyways, i think it's a plex issue so i posted in their forums. I'll post back if i come across a solution.

Edited by endiz
3 hours ago, endiz said:

Thanks squid. I do have a display that supports HDR & DV, and it looks great. But if i'm watching on a non-hdr screen remotely (e.g. cell phone), it says it's transcoding but the tone mapping is off with the strange green tint mentioned above. 

Anyways, i think it's a plex issue so i posted in their forums. I'll post back if i come across a solution.

I think it's two seperate issues, because I have both issues.

The green color you've shown I also had. When testing the file directly on my laptop it also showed the green color. So not a Plex issue.

And Plex does indeed have confirmed issues with HDR tonemapping. Especially on latest gen intel GPU's. Which has not been solved yet. Make sure if your GPU is not the issue, that Hardware Transcoding is actually working by checking your Plex dashboard when watching a transcoded video.

12 minutes ago, Johan71 said:

Unfortunately not so easy to do according to spaceinvade's video as the field Nvidia Visible Devices:
no longer exists. Unfortunately, I do not know what to fill in anywhere under

Key:
Value:
Default Value:

Key: NVIDIA_VISIBLE_DEVICES

Value: The ID of your GPU according to the Nvidia plugin page

Default Value: leave blank

• Like 1
8 minutes ago, JC2020 said:

I got it from plex.tv/downloads  selected unraid and took that version tag.  Also, it was late last night, but I swear I saw the 1.25.0.5246 version in the repo.

I don't use plex so I may have my wires crossed, but I don't think the plex version necessarily aligns with the container version 1 to 1. For the container version you need to use valid tags from the container repo.

I suddenly encountered an issue where when I launch the Plex docker, the UI shows up from the local IP address but the server is not visible anywhere. The only content is the default content provided by Plex. All of the server sources are gone and there is no way to search for the server. There is just a link to the PMS website.

I opened a browser tab from the day before and tried to resume some content. It played for a minute or so, then there was some pop-up saying I don't have access to this server and it disappeared. The day before I encountered a similar issue on my AppleTV which is why I was using the web app in the first place. 

Anyone have any idea?